Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Ghost signs'

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As far as I can see, the name has gone out of circulation altogether, in ireland.

Frequently see these vans around

https://enuzum.ie/

May not be in the family anymore, though.

Also, it was Great Brunswick Street, in case you're trying to look up other stuff. One of the easier renames as the numbering is still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

L1011 wrote: »

Also, it was Great Brunswick Street, in case you're trying to look up other stuff. One of the easier renames as the numbering is still the same.

Also this guy in Cork.... https://twitter.com/danielnuzum

Seem to be a few about still.

Edit: is it ok to post a Twitter account? Seems to be public enough.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its searchable and public.

L1011 wrote: »

Isn't that interesting, 150 years later and the family business is still in hydrocarbons! Just tar instead of coal.

I notice that in Speedsie's link, the guy is an Anglican theologian, so they've even kept faithful to the Hugenot link. Very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Out of the city centre, in Raheny. What used to be McGreevy's (sweet shop and newsagent) and MacMahon's (groceries).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

spurious wrote: »
    Out of the city centre, in Raheny. What used to be McGreevy's (sweet shop and newsagent) and MacMahon's (groceries).

Where in Raheny ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

St Assams Park. That's McHughs off licence to the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Uncovered on Harold's Cross Road.

120825477_1768042233359303_5035030955435377434_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=RiKxiY1UkmUAX8d-BDf&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=b373c4e1a0f6727406d4def79cc3fd58&oe=5FA2ECFA

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow! The depth in that lettering is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Not sure if this was posted previously but it's on Eden House on Eden Quay.

DSPC.png

More info.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

tampopo wrote: »

I remember O'Neills well, one of those old fashioned hardware shops with a funny smell that sold just about anything :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

I remember O'Neills well, one of those old fashioned hardware shops with a funny smell that sold just about anything :)

Ah, I see.
    It's covered up again now.

:( covering over a lovely mosaic sign with plastic junk should be a crime.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Supervalue on Aston Quay has a family name inscripted in it above the front door, anyone know what it was back in the day (pre Branson of course;=)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The name McBirneys is still on the mosaic floor tiles at the door if you remember to look next time you are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can anyone remember what McBirneys was like, was it mainly a clothes store or a haberdashery also

Full department store. Clothes, drapery, homewares, furniture definitely. Not sure if they had the jewellery, makeup, electronics bits that Clerys had/Arnotts have though.

Closed under the ownership of the cluster**** that was PMPA Insurance, meaning it may have been viable for a while longer with a sensible owner!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It had a big staircase. I'm sure someone must have either saved it or at the very least photographed it. Rummaging through old photo sites....

The staircase was ripped out under PMPA ownership rather than a later incarnation so it being saved is unlikely. There has to be pics somewhere though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

This may have been posted before but I only noticed it this evening sitting in Captain Americas. Over the closed Dunnes Stores on Grafton Street

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Great spot @neris I wonder has that always been exposed like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Fairly sure it was visible in the early 80s. I think it was a boutique. Dunnes was on the corner then as well.

Annoying that I have to re-follow a thread that I'd posted in pre-Vanilla 🙄 Nice spot, neris.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It did; often bought fresh yeast there. I think it mostly supplied bakeries.

OP, Finn's Hotel (in the unlikely event no one's mentioned it) is where Nora Barnacle worked, and where James Joyce used to stroll up to meet her before they eloped.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3418444,-6.2531219,3a,60y,4.16h,101.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgQOjw-gYIyUDqVDY7TLYOw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

They sold bakery and cake making supplies - cake boards, icing bags etc etc. Those silver trays in the quoted 2009 post would have been the cake boards.

Odd memory I've just had - there used to be a newsagent next door, in what became the barbers, that would do the pre-Euro Roman thing of making up change in penny sweets if they were short on small coins (single use transport tickets were another common one in Rome actually). That tradition mostly died in Rome with the Euro and it'd sure as feck be dead now with everyone using cards!

Advertisement