Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Ghost signs'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

There's a pub in Rathgar village called The Bottler's Bank. There's an old sign above that says Munster & Leinster bank Ltd. I'll take a photo the next time I'm there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Good to see the Metro-burger sign, I worked there in 1985/86 when it opened first. Never really got great business, and had some seriously dodgy characters at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

There's a pub in Rathgar village called The Bottler's Bank. There's an old sign above that says Munster & Leinster bank Ltd. I'll take a photo the next time I'm there.

That's a nice piece of urban history, they merged with some smaller banks to become AIB, there was a Munster & Leinster building in Prussia Street but when I went to take a pic the sign had been cemented over.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's an old sign above that says Munster & Leinster bank Ltd. I'll take a photo the next time I'm there.
    That can be seen over a lot of the more ornate AIB's.

Many of the Bank of Ireland premises still have their old name "Hibernian Bank".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Following on from Alan Rouge's pavement mosaics, there's the Stag's Head one on Dame St beside Iskanders. It was taken up a few years ago during works and when they laid it back, they put it the wrong way facing away from the pub, despite being told by dozens of passersby. Idiots.

• Advertisement

"Hibernian Bank 1824" over the door of the NIB in College Green.

CollegeGreenNIB.jpg

A former branch of the "Provincial Bank" on College Street (now part of the Westin Hotel) which amalgamated into the AIB group.

CollegeStreetprovincialBankChambers.jpg

Another former bank on College Green (now Ceasars restaurant). Can anyone make it out - "Yorkshire and......"?

CollegeGreenCeasarsRestaurant-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

Wishbone i think thats Yorkshire Assurance Company i was reading this

http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/Chart/chart7.htm

and it's mentioned in paragraph 11.

Abbey Street Lower

AbbeyStreetLowerCumminsAdvert.jpg

Bachelor's Way

BatchelorsWay.jpg

Camden Street Upper

CamdenStreetUpperHarcourtRoad.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

That last one is brilliant., :D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Excellent thread.

Well done to OP.

Any "sign" :o of McHugh Himself?!?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Some more 'ghost signs'...

Original site of Jacobs Biscuits in Bishop Street - now part of DIT.
    Picture_109_Medium.jpg

As the sign says - Patients Entrance - the Dental Hospital in Lincoln Place.
    Picture_069_Medium.jpg

I'm sure you're all familiar with Foxes cigar shop on Grafton Street...
    Picture_076_Medium.jpg

...but does anyone know if this entrance around the corner in College Green was the original?
    Picture_074_Medium.jpg
    Also, always remember to look up!

Next door to Foxes is Peterson of Dublin...
    Picture_077_Medium.jpg

...formerly Kapp and Peterson.
    Picture_087_Medium.jpg

They have a few old signs outside...
    Picture_079_Medium.jpg

Picture_080_Medium.jpg

...but this one is in O'Connell Street. Had they a shop here?
    Picture_088_Medium.jpg

This old sign hangs above an amusement arcade in Westmoreland Street.
    Picture_083_Medium.jpg

Picture_084_Medium.jpg

Bewleys in Westmoreland Street.
    Picture_085_Medium.jpg

Is this Royal Liver sign still current?
    Picture_096_Medium.jpg

And finally old and new at O'Connell Bridge...
    Picture_100_Medium_2.jpg

Picture_102_Medium.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

Camden Street Upper
    CamdenStreetUpperHarcourtRoad.jpg

This building was destroyed (using hand grenades) by Captain J.C. Bowen-Colthurst of the British Army during the Easter Rising in 1916.

Francis Sheehy-Skeffington "was taken to Portobello Barracks, where he was held as an enemy sympathizer. Later that evening, he was taken out as a hostage with a raiding party led by Captain J.C. Bowen-Colthurst to the home and shop of Alderman James Kelly, at the corner of Camden Street and Harcourt Road (from which the name "Kelly's Corner" derives). Mistaking the Alderman (a conservative) for a rebel, the soldiers destroyed the shop with hand grenades. On the way back to Rathmines, Skeffington was the witness to two murders committed by Bowen-Colthurst and his party on two unarmed civilians (one of them a 17-year-old boy from Mountpleasant Avenue returning from Rathmines church).

The following morning Bowen-Colthurst ordered his sergeant to organise a firing party to shoot dead Sheehy-Skeffington and two pro-British journalists—Thomas Dixon (a disabled Scotsman) and Patrick McIntyre—who were unlucky enough to have been in Kelly's shop when it was raided. The three were shot in the back as they walked towards a wall in the barracks yard.
    "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

DSC00011.jpg

O'Connell St

DSC00014.jpg

Marks Lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

starn wrote: »
    DSC00011.jpg

O'Connell St

i believe this was covered up for many years and only uncovered a while back. I think there was an advert or something over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

starn wrote: »
    DSC00014.jpg

Marks Lane

hugh jordan! they have been all over dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just a huge thanks for everyone who has contributed to the thread.

Fantastic stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a very very old ghost sign that has been sandblasted (I think) from the railway wall at the end of my street. In certain light, after light rain the outline of it is still visible. It is for a carriage makers and I think the company name is Crooks. I keep meaning to try get a photo - I'll try next time it's visible.

Hermy wrote: »
    ...but this one is in O'Connell Street. Had they a shop here?

Picture_088_Medium.jpg
    Presumably they did as the 'KP' logo is still on the woodwork of Elvery's Sports

OConnellStreetLowerElverysHPDetail.jpg

The former Iveagh Play Centre on Bull Alley Street (now a college).

BullAlleyStreetIveaghPlayCentre.jpg

'Baxendale's' on the corner of Capel Street and Great Strand Street.

CapelStreetStrandStreetGreatBaxenda.jpg

Former UCD Medical School plaque on the wall of 'Urban Outfitters' on Cecelia Street.

CeceliaStreetMedicalSchoolPlaque.jpg

fantastic stuff, great if it could be stickied

• Advertisement

fantastic stuff, great if it could be stickied

Anyone else like to see this stickied?.

I don't mind, but too many stickies and the forum looks a little cluttered.

Opinions?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Anyone else like to see this stickied?.

I don't mind, but too many stickies and the forum looks a little cluttered.

Opinions?.

I think it's a great thread, and will really appeal to anyone who stumbles across the forum. I take your point about clutter, but I'd vote this a big lurker's Yes.

I think it's a great thread, and will really appeal to anyone who stumbles across the forum. I take your point about clutter, but I'd vote this a big lurker's Yes.

Thanks, I've taken down a few stickies in anticipation that this will get the go ahead from you guys.

Any other opinions?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Its popular enough to be on the front page anyway, so doesn't really need to be stickied huh.,:)

Thanks, I've taken down a few stickies in anticipation that this will get the go ahead from you guys.

Any other opinions?.

hopefully it will end up like the historical dublin thread and will get a great deal of attention. my opinion is that if its left on the front page it could go the same way as the picture game, ie. only brought up every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

+1 for a sticky from me,it's easily on a par with the Dublin historical pictures thread imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

'Baxendale's' on the corner of Capel Street and Great Strand Street.

CapelStreetStrandStreetGreatBaxenda.jpg

I used to live above that place for 3 years!:)

Chancery Street

ChanceryStreetFegans.jpg

Great Charles Street

CharlesStreetGreatTifton.jpg

City Quay

CityQuayCarroll.jpg

City Quay

CityQuayTedcastleLine.jpg

The Coombe

CoombeWidowsHouse.jpg

Cork Hill

CorkHillImperialYard.jpg

Cork Street

CorkStreetJamesWeirHome.jpg

Upper Dorset Street (Anyone know what 'LSE' was?)

DorsetStreetUpperLSE.jpg

Duke Street - a sign remaining from when BT occupied that site before moving across to Switzers.

DukeStreetBeauty.jpg

Duke Street (Now part of M&S)

DukeStreetCombridgeDetail.jpg

Couple I snapped today:

Upper Abbey Street. Mooney & Co. Ltd. Wine & Spirits.

pc070283.th.jpg

Parnell Street. The Shakespeare (Now a lovely Korean pub/restaurant called The Hop House)

pc070284.th.jpg

Parnell Street. This used to be a pub called The Blue Lion (The lion is still above the door)

pc070285.th.jpg

What it used to look like:

thebluelion.jpg

Capel Street. The Irish Firm (?)

pc070287.th.jpg

Parliament Street. Thomas Reads (It was the oldest shop in Dublin).

pc070288.th.jpg

pc070290.th.jpg

Essex Street, Temple Bar. The Dolphin Hotel & Restaurant.

pc070294.th.jpg

• Advertisement

1968 wrote: »
    Couple I snapped today:
    Parliament Street. Thomas Reads (It was the oldest shop in Dublin).

pc070288.th.jpg

pc070290.th.jpg

1997 Irish Times article:

Read's of Parliament Street, the oldest shop in Dublin, has closed "until further notice" and is unlikely ever to reopen as a cutlers. The business was founded in 1675 and had been trading at its present location for over 200 years.

Through peaceful and turbulent times over the past two centuries it was the place to buy a good pair of scissors or a set of kitchen knives. All of its current stock, housed in glass cabinets, is still in place behind the shuttered windows. Mr Michael Smith, of An Taisce, said Read's was another victim of the property boom, along with many other Dublin icons which had become casualties of the Celtic Tiger economy that was turning the city into a "faceless, nameless place".

"An Taisce has been railing about this for years, that loads of money plus inadequate protection for our heritage spells cultural collapse at a rate that's directly proportionate to our economic growth. Other cities are more careful to retain the things that are important."

Mr Smith said Read's was not only the oldest but the most charming shop in Dublin, with much of its interior still intact. "The owner promised to keep it and even to put in a museum on the first floor, but, needless to say, this hasn't happened," he added.

Mr Hugh O'Regan, the pub transformation wizard who acquired Read's four years ago, told The Irish Times that it was "unlikely we will reopen it as a cutlers' shop", though he emphasised that no final decision had been taken on its fate.

"We had a couple of bad incidents there recently. Ronnie Carbury, the cutler who had served in the shop for 40 years, was threatened by three guys with knives who robbed the till. There wasn't much in it, admittedly, as the shop doesn't make any money."

Mr O'Regan borrowed the name of its founder, Thomas Read, for his pub next door, which incorporates The Oak bar on Dame Street. Its interior contains elements of the elaborately carved pulpit from St George's Church in Hardwicke Place.

He has planning permission for a hotel on the upper floors of Thomas Read's and The Oak, having initially considered an apartment conversion. Two apartments and the promised museum were to be installed on the upper floors of the old cutlers' shop.

"It would be great to maintain the shop as a cutlers, but unfortunately it doesn't pay. If someone came up with a range of goods that would appeal to tourists, I would consider it," Mr O'Regan said. "On the other hand, maybe the OPW would like to take it over."

---

Eamon Mac Thomais visits Reads and talk about its unrivaled history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm_fwV9ERM8

06:45 mins in.

Advertisement