Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 am!e

Hi everyone :)

Just wondering if anyone else here is going to start training on the 25th of September?? I got my email to go the other day can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭billyhead

am!e wrote: »
    Hi everyone :)

Just wondering if anyone else here is going to start training on the 25th of September?? I got my email to go the other day can't wait :)

Hi Amie,

I presume you have completed the medical

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi Amie,

I presume you have completed the medical

Yes, i passed my medical last week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 limerick2009

Yes, i passed my medical last week :)
    hello
    out of interset had you a long wait from initial application to your medical.well done and best of luck with the training.

hello
    out of interset had you a long wait from initial application to your medical.well done and best of luck with the training.

Thank you :) I've been waiting a while so far

I applied to publicjobs 3rd of july 2008 - I thought they hadn't received my application but i rang up and they told me they had.. Then on the 16th of October i got the first e-mail to say i had the interview and written test on the 23rd of October. I passed them both and got all of my forms filled in and met with the sergeant of my local Garda station a couple of times, I have a large family so it took a while for the clearance to go through.

And after about 6-7 months of hearing nothing i got an e-mail to go for the medical on the 18th of August, and i passed that thank god :)
    So hopefully training goes ok when i go for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 limerick2009

Thank you :) I've been waiting a while so far

I applied to publicjobs 3rd of july 2008 - I thought they hadn't received my application but i rang up and they told me they had.. Then on the 16th of October i got the first e-mail to say i had the interview and written test on the 23rd of October. I passed them both and got all of my forms filled in and met with the sergeant of my local Garda station a couple of times, I have a large family so it took a while for the clearance to go through.

And after about 6-7 months of hearing nothing i got an e-mail to go for the medical on the 18th of August, and i passed that thank god :)
    So hopefully training goes ok when i go for it :)

that was a bit of a wait alright.it take a long time the clearance.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

amie,
    what did they do during your medical. most of us here are still waiting on the BR forms to come back then do the medical. I hope i get the email too :( at least we all know its actually going somewhere now. im so excited for you :)

amie,
    what did they do during your medical. most of us here are still waiting on the BR forms to come back then do the medical. I hope i get the email too :( at least we all know its actually going somewhere now. im so excited for you :)

Well this is what hapened on the day of my medical

First of all when you go in you are required to give a urine sample.
    Then they call you in to do a lung capacity test, where you take a deep breath and blow into the tube, and you get 3 tries, they go on the biggest amount you get.

Then it's the listening, They tell you not to listen to any earphones 24 hours in advance of the medical, this is for the hearing test.. You go into a little booth for the hearing test and click the button when you hear the beep, pretty easy.

Next they take you to be examined by a doctor, you are given an all over check including breast check(females) and weighed. They are very strict on weight and i was told by the doctor if your BMI is over 30 you may be failed. They also do a sight test, similar to what you would have done if you got one for a driving licence. They test for colour blindness too.

I was wondering though if anyone knows is there a physical fitness test that you are required to pass during the training?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

I was wondering though if anyone knows is there a physical fitness test that you are required to pass during the training?

There isn't a test as such.

There is a lot of slamming yourself down and getting back up again asap, falling to the front and then back etc.

The Police Self Defense modules are an hour long as are the Hand-Cuff and Baton training classes so you would want to be fit enough to last that long, at least.

One of the training sergeants advised a "brisk walk" a couple of times a week as a minimum to be able for the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭tod1577

Hi guys,I had my interview with the inspector two weeks ago.When should I be called for a medical do you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

tod1577 wrote: »
    Hi guys,I had my interview with the inspector two weeks ago.When should I be called for a medical do you think.

Their are no set guidelines or timeframe for any application unfortunately. It does vary for everyone. For instance I myself had my interviews 3months ago+ and am still awaiting a call for my medical.

All I would say is keep yourself healthy, fit & active and be prepared to get called any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Richiedelight

hi there just wondering about medical what to they considtrate on mostly,i am just waiting to be called for it.cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi there just wondering about medical what to they considtrate on mostly,i am just waiting to be called for it.cheers

Hi

they did not considtrade on anything really, it was a all rounder, 1st was the blood pressure and lung test ( just blow out hard ), 2nd was the hearing, have to say found that the hardest, ( only as i was nevous ) then change into a sexy hospital sheet and a 12 year old peenys bath-robe that any real playboy must have:cool:, then u go into the doc strip:eek: to ur jocks and get ur weight, height, eyes and a lung check- cough once or twice and that it. staff are great, i had a good laugh at it.

it very straight forward :)

(very much like the f.c.a one )

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey, im still waiting for the Medical test, i know the eyesigt requirements but from yeer experiences were yeer both eyes tested individually of together?

Thanks Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Hey, im still waiting for the Medical test, i know the eyesigt requirements but from yeer experiences were yeer both eyes tested individually of together?

Thanks Tommy.

They test one eye and then the other

funkyflea wrote: »
    Thanks kerry4sam!
    Another question.. I've a small tattoo on my forearm, it could be covered with a plaster even but would this be a problem? :o

I heard that plasters/band-aids have to be used to cover them up if otherwise they would be visible. As far as I am aware all tattoos have to be covered and not visible in the workplace environment, even covered when training. On the day of the medical, the doctor examining you will mark an 'x' on a chart outlining when your tattoo is located but it won't go against you provided it's not in 'bad taste' so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I heard that plasters/band-aids have to be used to cover them up if otherwise they would be visible. As far as I am aware all tattoos have to be covered and not visible in the workplace environment, even covered when training. On the day of the medical, the doctor examining you will mark an 'x' on a chart outlining when your tattoo is located but it won't go against you provided it's not in 'bad taste' so to speak.

well kerry for sam having a tatoo it is necessary for the doctor to record it as a way of identifying you just in case the talliban might kidnap you while on holidays and worst case scenario the tatoo might be the only way of identifying you if a ransom wasnt paid... NOW YOU KNOW..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

kerry4sam wrote: »

Thanks Kerry4sam, it's not in bad taste at all so hopefully will be fine if I just put a plaster over it.

:p @ trail man..thanks for that info.

trail man wrote: »
    well kerry for sam having a tatoo it is necessary for the doctor to record it as a way of identifying you just in case the talliban might kidnap you while on holidays and worst case scenario the tatoo might be the only way of identifying you if a ransom wasnt paid... NOW YOU KNOW..

trail_man, fair play to ya for this info :pac: You are indeed right, now I know! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pure_mule

hey guys...long, long time reader here...wouldnt have got this far without the place :)

Applied last Jan
    Interview aptitude... last march.
    Handed in BR form and had sgts & supt's interview in July.
    Got offered Nov...pending medical but i was out of the country-heartbroken.
    So now im just waiting for medical..hopefully in jan as i am returing home for good next week! (still out of the country)

And please god..in T'more for feb!

The medical I am worried about though...i just keep feeling like something will go wrong! Worked hard on my bmi...Im 6 ft 4" and I was 21 stone not so long ago! :eek: Now im down to 16 stone and i reckon i could lose another half stone/stone before the medical.

Should I be as worried about the Bmi as I am...I have wanted to do this for so long id be distrought if I didnt pass the med!!

• Advertisement

Sounds like you're ok but do an on-line BMI calculator to make sure, they're very strict on it in the medical.

Once you pass, get back to the 21 stone asap because at 6ft 4 you're the kinda mule I'd like to be rollin with on a saturday night, especially now the drink has got cheaper.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭barneycotter

Ok I need to no people for the medical is the bmi taken the lame way I.e take your height and weight and calculate it. Or is it done the correct way using the Tools to measure biceps, stomach etc

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Ok I need to no people for the medical is the bmi taken the lame way I.e take your height and weight and calculate it. Or is it done the correct way using the Tools to measure biceps, stomach etc

A s far as i no its done with the weighing scales. I think when your weighed it give a printout of your bmi...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mitchell75

Has anyone any idea of the length of time for the medical itself? Also will a cold make a difference? And finally what is the full extent of the examination? I read the bit about holding balls and cough (LOL)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Mitchell75 wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea of the length of time for the medical itself? Also will a cold make a difference? And finally what is the full extent of the examination? I read the bit about holding balls and cough (LOL)
    Is it too much to expect dinner and a movie beforehand?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

never held mine anyway, he feels your tummy bothsides while asking you to cough, he held nothing else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Medical consists of urine sample, hearing test, eye test, check of your BMI, check your teeth and then you strip down to your boxers for a physical examination which did include the Doc doing the "holding balls and cough" test.

I had a lady doctor and she had a bit of an old rummage

I was disappointed when it was over tbh:D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Well, went for the medical today. Passed everything except the eye-test. I was way off on that part in terms of my level of vision without correction. Either I get laser eye correction surgery or thats it (for either the reserve or full-time). Very disappointed, needless to say.

The very best to everybody else at each stage of the way. Good luck to you all.

• Advertisement

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Well, went for the medical today. Passed everything except the eye-test. I was way off on that part in terms of my level of vision without correction. Either I get laser eye correction surgery or thats it (for either the reserve or full-time). Very disappointed, needless to say.

The very best to everybody else at each stage of the way. Good luck to you all.

hey, at least though you know you have options and it really ain't a closed door for you. Were you given a time-frame to decide by, as to whether you would get laser treatment done? Well done on passing everything else though :)

Advertisement