Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

kerry4sam wrote: »
    hey, at least though you know you have options and it really ain't a closed door for you. Were you given a time-frame to decide by, as to whether you would get laser treatment done? Well done on passing everything else though :)
    Thanks, Kerry4sam. I've been told that if I get the surgery done, and if it's been done by six weeks (at least) before the medical, and if this medical occurs within 6 months (phew!), I'll only have to do the medical again - not start from the beginning. So I've decided to bite the bullet and (for reasons other than just to do with AGS and medicals, etc), get the surgery in the New Year. I've checked it out and it'll be less than 3,000 so I'm just going for it. I'll probably save that amount over the years anyway with no more lenses, eye tests, etc. Not going to be there in February but maybe the one after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Well, went for the medical today. Passed everything except the eye-test. I was way off on that part in terms of my level of vision without correction. Either I get laser eye correction surgery or thats it (for either the reserve or full-time). Very disappointed, needless to say.

The very best to everybody else at each stage of the way. Good luck to you all.

Hard luck EGOSHEA. So near and yet so far eh? Got laser done back in June, difference is unbelieveable, even though my eyesight wasn't too bad, I wouldn't have gotten in to GS/GR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Thanks, Kerry4sam. I've been told that if I get the surgery done, and if it's been done by six weeks (at least) before the medical, and if this medical occurs within 6 months (phew!), I'll only have to do the medical again - not start from the beginning. So I've decided to bite the bullet and (for reasons other than just to do with AGS and medicals, etc), get the surgery in the New Year. I've checked it out and it'll be less than 3,000 so I'm just going for it. I'll probably save that amount over the years anyway with no more lenses, eye tests, etc. Not going to be there in February but maybe the one after?

Thats the right attitude EGOSHEA, we're all disappointed for you but you should definitely hit the ground running and get the surgery asap.. :)

Edit: My current employer doesn't give a character reference..but they can confirm I am emplyed (company policy not to give character references) will that be enough? (filling in the BR Form still)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Well, went for the medical today. Passed everything except the eye-test. I was way off on that part in terms of my level of vision without correction. Either I get laser eye correction surgery or thats it (for either the reserve or full-time). Very disappointed, needless to say.

The very best to everybody else at each stage of the way. Good luck to you all.

Sorry to hear that EGOSHEA, and i agree with my good auld friend Kerry4Sam, well done on passing everything else.. just a quick question if you dont mind about eye test... Are you only tested for your level of vision without correction.. I make the requirement no problem without correction but im not so sure with correction... My left eye is a bit weak but they said theres no need for glasses, like i said that why im wondering if they test you only without correction. ;)

Sorry to hear that EGOSHEA, and i agree with my good auld friend Kerry4Sam, well done on passing everything else.. just a quick question if you dont mind about eye test... Are you only tested for your level of vision without correction.. I make the requirement no problem without correction but im not so sure with correction... My left eye is a bit weak but they said theres no need for glasses, like i said that why im wondering if they test you only without correction. ;)
    Thanks Tommy-Kerry and Funkyflea.

As for the test, I would assume that one's vision with correction would normally be assessed also. However, because mine had failed (quite badly!) without correction, the doctor really just checked to see if I was colourblind (I'm not, thankfully) and then called it quits with the eye test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭barneycotter

Thanks Tommy-Kerry and Funkyflea.

As for the test, I would assume that one's vision with correction would normally be assessed also. However, because mine had failed (quite badly!) without correction, the doctor really just checked to see if I was colourblind (I'm not, thankfully) and then called it quits with the eye test.

well done man fair play to you.how was the bmi test?

well done man fair play to you.how was the bmi test?
    Well, my BMI is 27.2 (I'm 6' 1" and something like 14st 9lbs) and that wasn't a problem apparently. They measure it the basic 'height and weight' way. So it seems that being planted halfway in the overweight range is ok as long as it's not in the obese range. (Of course, being healthier than this would certainly be recommended!)

Also, one thing I wasn't expecting but something that you're supposed to be ready to do (at least with the doctor I had) is be able to state wherever on your body you have scars. Might be one to watch for those with a number of them!

Well, my BMI is 27.2 (I'm 6' 1" and something like 14st 9lbs) and that wasn't a problem apparently. They measure it the basic 'height and weight' way. So it seems that being planted halfway in the overweight range is ok as long as it's not in the obese range. (Of course, being healthier than this would certainly be recommended!)

Also, one thing I wasn't expecting but something that you're supposed to be ready to do (at least with the doctor I had) is be able to state wherever on your body you have scars. Might be one to watch for those with a number of them!
    tanks im 6.2 and about 109 kg witch is about 30.6bmi but i wouldnt consider myself over weight or unhealty as i play alot of rugby and need my size

tanks im 6.2 and about 109 kg witch is about 30.6bmi but i wouldnt consider myself over weight or unhealty as i play alot of rugby and need my size
    It is indeed very possible for someone like youself with a BMI higher than 30 to be very healthy. In fact, people of athletic build - especially muscular types involved in, say, rugby ;) - often show up as being over 30. It's a common criticism of the BMI itself. However, given the apparent strictness of the test, coupled with the method of BMI calculation they use (i.e. not a calipers in sight), I'd respectfully suggest that you bring it down to at least a little below 30 for the medical. If you're active anyway, this shouldn't be a problem. You're barely over 30 and would only have to lose a few pounds. Good luck with it.

anyone have trouble gettin there bmi down for the medical?

how did ye do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Whats your BMI barney? I haven't had my medical yet and starting back training after christmas now. I lift a lot of weights so going to focus on more cardio now instead to bring the bmi down.

It's 28 pushing 29 at the mo, but should be grand by the time medical rolls around.

funkyflea wrote: »
    Whats your BMI barney? I haven't had my medical yet and starting back training after christmas now. I lift a lot of weights so going to focus on more cardio now instead to bring the bmi down.

It's 28 pushing 29 at the mo, but should be grand by the time medical rolls around.

mine is 31 n I do alot of weights if I lose 4kg I shud be fine but dats alot to lose for my position in rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

hi, my b.m.i. is 19 is that acceptable?

From memory its actually on the low side. 20 is the minimum I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

thanks, do you know what the medical consists of?

Take a look at this post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61872335&postcount=3052

There is also a medical questionnaire to be filled out in advance.

The search function is a handy resource, don't be afraid to use it! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Jack O'Neill

miss5 wrote: »
    hi, my b.m.i. is 19 is that acceptable?

BMI Categories:

Underweight = <18.5
    Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
    Overweight = 25-29.9
    Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

see - http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

When the machine is taken your weight and height do they make you take your shoes off

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

When the machine is taken your weight and height do they make you take your shoes off

Yip.

You will be in your undies with a disposable paper gown over ya, tied at the back, hospital stylee.

You can wear your socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

the bmi is really getting me, i was 29 in September, joined the gym, bmi went up to 31.67 but my body fat came down to 29 from 34 i think. my GP tells me that my body fat should not be above 25 max. a bmi over 30 with a body fat of 25 or less would indicated an ok muscle mass to fat ratio. but then she said my waist size of 35 inch is small for my body fat and bmi measurements. so iam i right in saying, the way it stand now, because my bmi is over 30, i can not pass the medical. i only realized last week when i went to get the medical form signed that my bmi had gone up. and to get it down to 30 i would need to shed 13 pounds, in just over a week, not realistic, :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

DK47 wrote: »
    the bmi is really getting me, i was 29 in September, joined the gym, bmi went up to 31.67 but my body fat came down to 29 from 34 i think. my GP tells me that my body fat should not be above 25 max. a bmi over 30 with a body fat of 25 or less would indicated an ok muscle mass to fat ratio. but then she said my waist size of 35 inch is small for my body fat and bmi measurements. so iam i right in saying, the way it stand now, because my bmi is over 30, i can not pass the medical. i only realized last week when i went to get the medical form signed that my bmi had gone up. and to get it down to 30 i would need to shed 13 pounds, in just over a week, not realistic, :(

When do you weigh yourself? i.e. what time of day and how often?

eroo wrote: »
    When do you weigh yourself? i.e. what time of day and how often?

every second Monday at around 4pm. its done professionally. i wasn't focusing on weight, it was reducing body fat and building muscle was my goal. so i knew my weight was going up, but also knew my body fast was decreasing, that was good, till i realized Saturday that my bmi was increasing with the muscle,ie. muscle weights heaver then fat, i just never clicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

My BMI was a shade over 30 on the lead up to my medical too, I spent the last week running/jogging about 6 miles a night with a bin-liner on under a heavy jacket (not for everyone but it worked for me).

Got the weight down but I was still borderline the night before. On the day, I went in fasting from the previous day, was nearly delusional with the hunger but passed and it was well worth it. You always weigh less in the morning too, for some reason.

I found the scales in the park to be slightly on the kind side too, it also helps to make yourself as tall as you can when your height is being taken, this happens when you're standing on the scales, hard to describe how to do it exactly, but stretch every fibre of yourself in an upwards direction as opposed to slouching down, if you know what I mean.

You can defer the medical too, they will let you do it once if you want to buy yourself more time, just have a valid excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

DK47 wrote: »
    every second Monday at around 4pm. its done professionally. i wasn't focusing on weight, it was reducing body fat and building muscle was my goal. so i knew my weight was going up, but also knew my body fast was decreasing, that was good, till i realized Saturday that my bmi was increasing with the muscle,ie. muscle weights heaver then fat, i just never clicked.

4pm? That means your bowels and stomach are not emptied as you have probably eaten during the day already. To accurately weigh yourself, it needs to be first thing in the morning after you have gone to the toilet.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, that is a myth. i.e. a kilo of fat weighs the same as a kilo of muscle. Unless your a beginner to weight training, it is near impossible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. With regards to body fat % decreasing and muscle mass increasing this is known as beginner gains. Eventually your body will adapt to the stresses your putting on it, and you will have to focus on one aspect of training; fat loss or muscle gain.

Do me a favour and weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you have went to the toilet and before you have anything to eat or drink. If it does not vary I would be surprised tbh. If you train very very hard high intensity with a low calorie diet you could lose quiet a few pounds in one week.

eroo wrote: »
    4pm? That means your bowels and stomach are not emptied as you have probably eaten during the day already. To accurately weigh yourself, it needs to be first thing in the morning after you have gone to the toilet.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, that is a myth. i.e. a kilo of fat weighs the same as a kilo of muscle. Unless your a beginner to weight training, it is near impossible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. With regards to body fat % decreasing and muscle mass increasing this is known as beginner gains. Eventually your body will adapt to the stresses your putting on it, and you will have to focus on one aspect of training; fat loss or muscle gain.

Do me a favour and weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you have went to the toilet and before you have anything to eat or drink. If it does not vary I would be surprised tbh. If you train very very hard high intensity with a low calorie diet you could lose quiet a few pounds in one week.

i weighed my self this morning, was 3 lbs lighter, i have been working with a trainer who is recognsied my the Irish Olympic council. so i know i have been doing things right. we have been focusing on wieight loose, but you need muscle to loose weight, so weight training plays it part. as for fat versus muscle, equal weights need not mean equal quantities ie. 1kg of fat = 1 kg of muscle, but a 1m squared box filled with fat weights lighter the a 1m squared box filled with muccle. but i know what your saying, thanks eroo :)

Well, laser eye surgery this Saturday. Wish me luck! Second medical, here I come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 man dinga

Well, laser eye surgery this Saturday. Wish me luck! Second medical, here I come.
    best of luck were you waiting long for your medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

dont worry its the best thing you ll ever get done and you ll never again look back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

best of luck with the surgery :)
    has anybody been contacted in relation to a medical for february intake?
    so sick of the waiting at this stage :(

• Advertisement

da__flash wrote: »
    dont worry its the best thing you ll ever get done and you ll never again look back
    Or if I do, I'll be able to see what's behind me!

Cheers lads.

Advertisement