Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 marymulr

Jeanxx wrote: »
    I don't know if you're living in Dublin but if you are I think you can go to Joyce House & actually get your long birth cert there :)

If you're not living in Dublin that won't be any help at all! lol!

I'm sure you'll get it by next weekend though, I wouldn't worry about it! Things of that of nature are usually very prompt :)

Tnx Jeanxx, am in Dublin and rang the civil registration office to see what the story was - have to get it from Roscommon so got on to them this avo and said i needed it asap. Thankfully they were more than helpful so should have it early next week. Did you get info on times for next w-end? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jeanxx

Ah cool, thats good news then :D

Yeah I got the info mailed to me today & joy of joys a lovely early morning both days :P It beats getting up for work by a longshot so I'm not going to complain!

Self Defence should be hilarious as I am extremely uncoordinated, honestly you will see what I mean! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Jeanxx can you tell me what the medical intailed and also how long it took to compleat also was there many there and did anyone fail do you know on the day you attended thanks

I was there around half 8 & they start really the minute you can get there & I was half an hour early :P

I had to take a urine test first, I had a kidney infection & I still passed & they copped it with the urine when they analysed it. Sent it to the lab & told me to get to my docs for antibiotics pronto :)

Then the hearing test... A bit weird & you really really need to focus... Only press the button when you hear a tone because you get a penalty I believe for pressing it when you don't hear anything. It lasts about 5 minutes. This was the hardest part for me just cos it was a bit odd! :P

After that BP, if you're nervous it will rise so don't worry the doc checked mine again after & I was fine. & then it's lung capacity. Blow into a yoke three times & it takes the best reading. I'm an asthmatic & I passed!

That was all with the nurses.

Then ya go upstairs & change into a 'beautiful' blue gown & a robe... I believe they purely do it to make you cringe... ;) The doc will call you in depending on where you are on the list. The doctor is lovely & for me it was eyesight (Basic Snellan Chart (A, E,.... etc..), lateral vision testing & colour blindness testing), BMI, height, weight, checking for lumps & bumps. He never asked me for any balance testing or even checked my teeth! Then he'll just ask you general stuff between testing, the whole thing lasts around ten minutes with the doctor.

Now I have asthma & I had a severe kidney infection on the day & my hearing isn't fantastic & I passed... I was convinced I was gonna fail but I didn't :)

I was the first to be called to the doctors & scarpered out after saying good luck to everyone when it was over so I don't know if anyone failed! The waiting takes the longest, if everything was done one after the other it would be about a half an hour... but it took for me around three hours!

Good luck, you'll be fine!
    & I salute you if you read through that novel I just wrote ;)

Thanks for the info it is a real eye opener all right for some reason they dont seem to be as strict as i had first thought

I'm just waiting on my background checks to come back they have been in touch with my referees so that's not a bad sign

It means they are moving on it anyway

But hay thanks for the quick response and good luck with the rest hope you enjoy the experience ;)

• Advertisement

No problem at all!

Once you get the background checks out of the way it will most likely be all systems go :)

Sure the whole process left me speechless, can't believe I got at all! I tell ya it helps if you were a Prefect in school! Haha!

Good luck with everything anyway & keep us posted with how you get on!

Well i was never perfect or prefect in school by any means

and yes i will keep the posting going once i here anything which i would say will be a while anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tashamc

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Well i was never perfect or prefect in school by any means

and yes i will keep the posting going once i here anything which i would say will be a while anyway :)
    If you feel you haven't heard anything from them for awhile, do send them an email, i got in contact with them about my meeting with my local station cause it didn't seem to be happenin anytime this side of xmas & they sorted it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 scanner man

i have not had my medical yet.why did you have laser eye surgery was your eyesight bad do you wear glasses and what age bracket are you in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Is the medical as strict as it is for the full time?
    Do you still have to get laser surgury if eye sight is not up to scratch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Is the medical as strict as it is for the full time?
    Do you still have to get laser surgury if eye sight is not up to scratch?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

doingmybit wrote: »
    Have a quick look back on the posts in here and every questions can can think of has been answered. Just on the physical exam, nope, you don't do that, but the medical is the same. Visit the Garda website and goto the reserve section and it gives you a complete break down of the requirements both medical and education. As for the recruitment numbers, there are 310 attested reserves and i think another 40 in training. 1200 is the cap for the numbers for the reserve they can't go any higher than that 10% of the regular force:D

Since the 5th November there are 405 attested reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hi i applied in oct 2007.... Im waiting on my backround checks since the start of march.... Im still waiting on a call for my medical... Just woundering if anyone have medicals coming up before Phase 1 on Nov 29th Im still hoping ill get the call before then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 s-specter-k

Hi there,
    I have the Garda medical examination coming up and i'm curious to know what is involved in ???

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭0325422

i presume its the same as the usual garda medical.. bmi, eyes, hearing etc.. check out the other forum on the medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

guys do i have to submit a form for my medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

guys do i have to submit a form for my medical?

Yes you will be sent one which you will bring to your family doctor to fill out which will I think take into account your last 5 years medical history.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

KIERAN61 wrote: »
    Yes you will be sent one which you will bring to your family doctor to fill out which will I think take into account your last 5 years medical history.

yes you will need to submit a form to your doctor which the garda reserve in HQ will email you before your medical

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

with regards to Application Form BR,

do i have to provide a written reference for part 15 b) or does name, address and occupation suffice.

also, what exactly must i do for the medical record in part 12?

please help!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭billyhead

Scouser

I got 2 written references for this (One from my current employer and one from a friend/neighbour.

• Advertisement

great stuff billyhead!

what about the medical record from the past 5 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sf94

Scouser wrote: »
    great stuff billyhead!

what about the medical record from the past 5 years?

If I remember correctly it just says you WILL have to supply one.....like in the future at the medical stage so I dont think you need to worry about it at this stage. I didn't send in anything with mine

excellent stuff!

thanks for that, the wording is a bit hazy, thanks for clearing that up for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭billyhead

I was pretty sure it mentioned on the form to hand in 2 written refences. In relation to the medical form I did not hand this in. I don't remember anything about this on the BR form. I think you need this prior to the actual medical in the Garda Headquarters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

guys, what exactly is involved in the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

guys, what exactly is involved in the medical?

It is the exact same as the medical for the full-time members. Their thread has some really good tips & advice in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Trebor35

Hi Everyone, I just got my call this morning for a date on my medical. Tuesday 26th May at 9am. They said all going well there, they hope to have a class in for June. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

Trebor35 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I just got my call this morning for a date on my medical. Tuesday 26th May at 9am. They said all going well there, they hope to have a class in for June. Can't wait.

Wow!! that is brilliant. you must be delighted:). A dozen of us lads and gals on this thread are waiting for medical. when was your interview with the superintendent?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

I've a medical coming up next week.
    I've to get the form they sent me signed by my GP.
    Thing is, I've never been to the doctor (never needed to) and don't have a GP.
    Do I just go to any GP and get him to sign a piece of paper for me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

ball wrote: »
    I've a medical coming up next week.
    I've to get the form they sent me signed by my GP.
    Thing is, I've never been to the doctor (never needed to) and don't have a GP.
    Do I just go to any GP and get him to sign a piece of paper for me?

Ya any1 will do, Just look around and see who you want to be your GP, go to him, explain whats its for and give him the form, will only take around 10 mins.
    He/she will check your blood pressure and stuff

Price varies from free to 50 euro, typical :rolleyes:

Advertisement