Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

tudlytops wrote: »
    If you have your own water supply ( I have both) you already paying, because you are responsible for all the piping, maintenance, pump, etc.

I know that... but what I am asking here will this greedy government stiff me in water charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 nietzy

First that was a very racist comment and I won't reply the way I would like to, because I won't go that low.

But if you have a meter you will pay for what you use only and if it is just you and a bird (lol) you be just fine..
    It was meant to be ironic and i was referring to other peoples posts about apartment blocks being charged 1 standard rate average spilt for all residents.

And by the way - to the people saying such helpful insights as "welcome to europe ireland" and "this is what happens in europe", congratulations, you've just proven yourself the most ignorant cnuts in this thread. The prices in europe for water charges are due to water shortages. We dont have water shortages in ireland, just shyte infostructure.

If we were clever, we could be an exporter of water. Spain and Portugal right now are having problems every summer with their resovoirs.

the main point here is, why should anyone pay for something that falls out of the sky freely and is a basic human right?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

nietzy wrote: »
    It was meant to be ironic and i was referring to other peoples posts about apartment blocks being charged 1 standard rate average spilt for all residents.

And by the way - to the people saying such helpful insights as "welcome to europe ireland" and "this is what happens in europe", congratulations, you've just proven yourself the most ignorant cnuts in this thread. The prices in europe for water charges are due to water shortages. We dont have water shortages in ireland, just shyte infostructure.

If we were clever, we could be an exporter of water. Spain and Portugal right now are having problems every summer with their resovoirs.

the main point here is, why should anyone pay for something that falls out of the sky freely and is a basic human right?

Porugal aways had water charges and it had nothing to do with shortages, there are many parts of the country with plenty of water.

It doesn't exactly just fall from the sky's but in any case, it still as to get to your taps and that is not free.

as for Europe, people can't pick and chose when it is ok to use it as an example and when its not, and Europe was just fine when ireland was getting grants all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

zootroid wrote: »
    Well Galway didn't even have clean drinking water a couple of years ago.

It's an essential resource, and as such measures should be taken to make sure it's used properly.

Yes, its another tax, and as such that's pretty sh*t, but if it will help change people's attitudes, then that can only be a good thing.

Mayhaps the reason the water supply is so bad is that no one has been paying for it? Hmmm?:rolleyes:

CamperMan wrote: »
    I know that... but what I am asking here will this greedy government stiff me in water charges?

Probably, an yearly charge or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

murphaph wrote: »
    My water is metered here and so I watch it carefully. It's a precious and expensive resource. However, the priority should be to upgrade the various networks and reduce leaks to a tolerable level. Until that's done there's not much point in metering if the intention is to reduce waste, as a good quarter already just leaks out of the system.

Fixing the system costs money, which we dont have.
    Charging for the service is the logical way to improve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hopefully not, like any other service you don't pay you get cut off, otherwise what is the point.

Because it's bloody hilarious is why. I think around a billion is owed to water companies in the UK. I mean imagine privatising water and allowing charges for it then legislating that non-payment has basically no consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Water does fall out of the sky and anyone who objects to these charges can set up a tank and catch it and avoid the charges. But if you expect someone to build a reservoir, with pumps etc and filtrate the water and pipe it to your house then this does cost money. Apples grow wild on trees but if you expect apples in boxes you haveto pay for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 merc998

Paying for water????wtf????absolutly outrageous i wont be paying ill find a way around this system!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Are you all asleep ? Water meters have already been fitted in a lot of towns already.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    Water does fall out of the sky and anyone who objects to these charges can set up a tank and catch it and avoid the charges. But if you expect someone to build a reservoir, with pumps etc and filtrate the water and pipe it to your house then this does cost money. Apples grow wild on trees but if you expect apples in boxes you haveto pay for them.
    Are you serious? Your comparing an agricultural product to an infinite resource? If you think its that simple, why not go down to an orchard now, pick a few baskets of apples and then go sell them to superquinn? that'll be a few extra quid in your pocket man, you should totally go do that!

but you'll probably start complaining now that the costs involved with driving down to an orchard, climbing over a dirty fence and the laundry costs for that, the hospital bills you'll be paying when mr. orchard farmer shoots you in the leg. Some people, I dunno, they just will find anything to complain about.

Reservoirs, pumps etc as you put it, are paid for by previous years of taxes. their maintaince does not need another levy, unless you can show me the figures required? Everyone has to use water, its basic biology 1st year stuff man.

Are you serious? Your comparing an agricultural product to an infinite resource? If you think its that simple, why not go down to an orchard now, pick a few baskets of apples and then go sell them to superquinn? that'll be a few extra quid in your pocket man, you should totally go do that!

but you'll probably start complaining now that the costs involved with driving down to an orchard, climbing over a dirty fence and the laundry costs for that, the hospital bills you'll be paying when mr. orchard farmer shoots you in the leg. Some people, I dunno, they just will find anything to complain about.

Reservoirs, pumps etc as you put it, are paid for by previous years of taxes. their maintaince does not need another levy, unless you can show me the figures required? Everyone has to use water, its basic biology 1st year stuff man.

I don't think that he was suggesting robbing apples but growing them oneself. If it works out cheaper (including time spent) then some people would do it.
    The amount of money that has to have been spent in this area in the last 15 or so years has to be astronomical, new pumping station and new sewage treatment plant for a town of ~30,000. And the water has to travel from about 25km away. It's a huge operation and it can't be cheap.

Thank God the government's tax receipts are higher than ever.

GreeBo wrote: »

Agree

amacachi wrote: »
    I don't think that he was suggesting robbing apples but growing them oneself. If it works out cheaper (including time spent) then some people would do it.
    The amount of money that has to have been spent in this area in the last 15 or so years has to be astronomical, new pumping station and new sewage treatment plant for a town of ~30,000. And the water has to travel from about 25km away. It's a huge operation and it can't be cheap.
    the point was that water falls anywhere and usually everywhere in ireland

what he compared it too was going out and picking apples. thats stupid. one takes months to grow, the other happens everyday.

It is a huge operation, but apart from maintaining a few pipes and pumps i dont see how anyone here can think after the ground work is done - pipes, pumps and treatment plants being built, that it needs a special tax (200yos a year was the last i heard) to get some water into their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The cost of installing the meters in individual homes will vary with location, nature and size of the dwelling. According to the latest estimates, the cost for each home will be €200-€580.

€200-€580? What happens if you refuse to have the meter installed? There are probably a lot of people who couldn't swing that much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭nc6000

Will this be an end to "hard" water then? I'm not paying for the cr@p that comes out of my taps which destroys kettles/showerheads and God knows what else etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

GreeBo wrote: »

Like we all pay our road tax and what do we get.. sh!te roads full of potholes causing damage to our motors....

We pay for medical care and what do we get? sh!te medical care, hospitals closing down...

We pay for schools and what do we get?? sh!te schools that are falling down...

when you all start to pay for your water... I guarantee most of the money will be used to pay over inflated wages for the lazy muppets that will be "maintaining" the water system..and you will still be left with a sh!te water service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

I have no poblem paying for water as long as it is of a certain standard. Although saying that it's a known fact that at least 48% of all water running to your house is lost in the pipe work before it even gets to your taps. Can't see how this will improve without first having to pump millions into the scheme to get it to the standard needed. Money we don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

Its a good idea. Water is a limited resource and people waste it. Thats the black and white of it.

Good call by the govt on this one me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Contemplative

kwalshe wrote: »
    That'll be me getting some rainwater storage tanks to flush the jacks so. Think about the amount of water you use every day on this.
    I'm not paying to flush the **** out of my house

What the hell am I paying taxes for.? My water tastes like it even has more chlorine than my local pool. Paying for water.... idiots.

Taxes change behaviour far more effectively than other methods. Hopefully, most people will do the right thing for themselves (i.e. avoid the tax) by doing the right thing for the environment (conserve water).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thoie wrote: »
    To be fair, a lot of rural dwellers are also on mains water. Of a handful of truly rural dwellers that I'm thinking of, 1 is on their own water supply, 1 has mains to the house, and their own water for elsewhere and the rest (about another 8) are on mains water - though some of those aren't on mains sewerage.
    so does this mean that because a small amount of people in Ireland have their own water supply it's tough luck... and that they should also pay water rates??

I'm not sure what you thought I was saying, but to clarify, I would feel it fair that people on mains water pay, but people with their own supplies (who are already paying for installation, maintenance and testing) don't. By the same token I don't believe that people with septic tanks should have to hand over an annual fee and get nothing in return. If the council wants to receive an annual fee from a septic tank owner, then the council should send a man out once a year to thoroughly examine the tank and highlight any faults.

What I was replying to was the fact that we can't say all rural dwellers should be exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Sadly until you pointed out the irony it just appeared racist.

As I was the one who brought up apartments in the first place, yes, I would object to having the water charge split evenly between apartments in a block, as it leaves me with absolutely no control over how I budget.

I have my own electricity meter, and if I feel I'm overspending I can sit the dark, wrapped in a duvet. If I had my own water meter, and felt I was overspending, I could limit the amount of water I'm using. If the meter is shared, it doesn't matter if I sit in the dark, in a duvet, dehydrating and stinky through lack of showering, I'd still end up paying for the neighbour who takes 10 baths a day and turns on every tap in the house when brushing their teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

quite a few rural dwellers have meters installed, the council usually does the installation, one has so many free units, when one exceeds this amount one pays, in co tipperary for instance one is charged in excess of 50 euro for having an outside tap, regardless if it is used or not, a relative of mine aged 90 years living alone has a bill of 135 euro, which i payed for him recently.
    quite a number of rural dwellers are members of what are called group schemes, a commitee runs the scheme, everyone contributes a set amount, the water needs to be pumped from the scource to the resivour, it requires cleaning filtration, pipes break etc all this has to be paid for,
    the commitee always run these schemes on a volantary basis, a reserve fund is required for breakages etc, the co council oversees the quality of the water, thro regular testing,
    as all the above costs money while being volantery run, imagne the cost to town and city councils who have to pay ps to run the service, plus the esb bill, people wake up and smell the morning coffee, as our american cousins are so fond of quoting there is no such thing as a free lunch, everything requires payment eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

ro09 wrote: »
    Did I hear something about water charges being introduced to every household. What a disgusting idea. The lowest of the low.
    Agreed. FF are going to stealth tax this country back to the dark ages.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Like we all pay our road tax and what do we get.. sh!te roads full of potholes causing damage to our motors....

We pay for medical care and what do we get? sh!te medical care, hospitals closing down...

We pay for schools and what do we get?? sh!te schools that are falling down...

when you all start to pay for your water... I guarantee most of the money will be used to pay over inflated wages for the lazy muppets that will be "maintaining" the water system..and you will still be left with a sh!te water service.
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 PatHawkins

T-rev wrote: »

Good call by the govt on this one me thinks.

"me thinks" it is a move demanded by the EU, not any independent irish government decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

old boy wrote: »
    quite a few rural dwellers have meters installed, the council usually does the installation, one has so many free units, when one exceeds this amount one pays, in co tipperary for instance one is charged in excess of 50 euro for having an outside tap, regardless if it is used or not, a relative of mine aged 90 years living alone has a bill of 135 euro, which i payed for him recently.
    quite a number of rural dwellers are members of what are called group schemes, a commitee runs the scheme, everyone contributes a set amount, the water needs to be pumped from the scource to the resivour, it requires cleaning filtration, pipes break etc all this has to be paid for,
    the commitee always run these schemes on a volantary basis, a reserve fund is required for breakages etc, the co council oversees the quality of the water, thro regular testing,
    as all the above costs money while being volantery run, imagne the cost to town and city councils who have to pay ps to run the service, plus the esb bill, people wake up and smell the morning coffee, as our american cousins are so fond of quoting there is no such thing as a free lunch, everything requires payment eventually.
    But you would agree that the substantial number of rural dwellers who use their own private water supply should not have to pay any state authority ongoing charges for this, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

ro09 wrote: »
    Did I hear something about water charges being introduced to every household. What a disgusting idea. The lowest of the low.

Its an excellent idea and would raise money to actually maintain and improve the water supply and services around the country.

Wastage of water in this country is disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Like we all pay our road tax and what do we get..
    Personally speaking . . . I get to the quays in the city centre in 20-25 minutes on the M4 from Maynooth in the mornings (further 20 mins to Lansdowne rd from the quays). I get to Limerick in just over 2hrs. Belfast in even better time than before. Dublin Airport in less than 30 minutes. Tallaght in even less. Mullingar in no time at all especially compared to before.

Advertisement