Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

• 06-12-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

With Shane going to be starting his first full year on the tour what does he need to do to make him a better golfer?

I see he is 121st in scrambling so I guess his short game needs a touch up.

I say fitness is a key also.

Thankfully he has exemptions which should take some pressure of his game to allow his improve areas of his game he feels need strengthening.

MOD EDIT: Zero discussions around Shane's weight or body shape, any such posts will result in warnings, thank you
    Post edited by slave1 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Personally I think Shane will turn into decent player over the years maybe not in the greats bracket but still think he can win his share trophies on tour.

Yes first thing he needs to look at his fitness. It has become a major player for likes of Woods and Harrington to watch what they eat and develop there muscles to become stronger and agile. Shane will have put bit time in gym.

Does anyone know his coach maybe he needs to get a decent pro especially in the short game department maybe someone like Mark Roe? Who I hear is getting good reviews from his pros anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

He's only 22! I see no reason to believe why he cant go on and be great and win a major(s). Harrington didnt even reach the World's top 10 until he was around 30, so Lowry has plenty of time. The last thing that is needed though is for everyone to be putting loads of pressure on him to be successful quickly. Let him develop in his own time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Shane has earned 250,000e since turning pro in 17 events. Why on earth does he need to become a better player??? He has won on tour, and has backed that up with some solid performances incl 3rd in the dunlop phoenix tournament recently. Instead of highlighting his awful scrambling stats, have a look at how impressive his GIR is.....that explains a lowly scrambling stat. Same for Rory, he might be way down the putting stats but that is due to the huge amount of greens he hits! Try looking beyond the negative stats lads. There is always something a little different between the winners on tour and the journeymen, ive played enough with shane and rory and trust me shane has it all......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

04072511 wrote: »
    He's only 22! I see no reason to believe why he cant go on and be great and win a major(s).

more chance of Ronan Rafferty coming back and winning a major imo,i said it at the time here that he was too hasty to turn pro and i beleive this has been proved.It took him 3 or 4 months before he started to do any proper physical training and it was stated in the media(could well be bs)that he was doing very little practice compared to the other pro's.
    He'll be running a pro shop in 5 years imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

heavyballs wrote: »

I'll gladly place a large wager you are talking through your rear end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

lads i think everyone should let the lad do his own thing everyone is different.
    Also anything can happen so its impossible to say if he will win more etc..
    To make it on tour is a lot down to luck(holing a putt ere...missing a fairway...different things like that). The lad is 22 and has bundles of talent. But look at poor olly fisher that lad made walker cup team ahead of rory, he came through tour school easy the 1st year.He did very well on tour for couple of years.looked like he might move on and win this year and now he has no card and i dont think he has full challenge tour card. Golf is a very funny game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Come on. You just shat that one out.

The biggest difference in my opinion between a journeyman and a winner is the ability to win when the opportunity is there. Shane Lowry has already passed that test. With time and work I'm sure he'll surpass your expectations.

f22 wrote: »
    I'll gladly place a large wager you are talking through your rear end!

time will tell,it's my opinion,it's a forum isn't it

Come on. You just shat that one out.

The biggest difference in my opinion between a journeyman and a winner is the ability to win when the opportunity is there. Shane Lowry has already passed that test. With time and work I'm sure he'll surpass your expectations.

imo he needs to change his swing and fitness regime,the fitness thing could go against him if he loses weight it can result in loss of timing(tim herron on the us tour had this problem)
    i'm not a fan,sorry,do i have to be?

time will tell,it's my opinion,it's a forum isn't it

Well having already earned 250,000 so far in 6 months of golf, if he even improves a little he'll surely avoid being a club pro in 5 years?

• Advertisement

imo he needs to change his swing and fitness regime,the fitness thing could go against him if he loses weight it can result in loss of timing(tim herron on the us tour had this problem)
    i'm not a fan,sorry,do i have to be?

Not at all. But being 22 he has 10 years to improve before we see where his potential really is. Look at Harrington. Countless other cases.

What he does have is an ability to go really low. If his consistency improves over 4 days, through fitness and experience, he could be quite good I think. But like you, thats just my opinion. I have some reservations about McIlroy that probably wouldn't go down well either. But both are in different leagues now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I wouldn't get as carried away as other people about his Irish Open win. It was on a local course in fowl conditions. His form since then has been pretty paltry, 3rd place finish in a week phoenix tournament aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭G1032

What's with all the negativity? Shane Lowry will be and can be as good as he wants. He has already proven that he has the ability to withstand the pressures coming down the final stretch, in contention, in a European Tour event. He withstood the pressure better than a full field of seasoned pros.
    It doesn't matter what course it was on or what the conditions were, it was the same for everyone.
    How good he becomes from now on will depend a lot on his own hunger and desire. If he wants to just make a good living from golf then he doesn't need anymore improving. If he has ambitions to go on and be one of the top players in the world then he can be if he puts in the hours. Give him a break. He's only 22 years old. And as for his fitness - Montgomerie was never the slimest man in the world and it didn't do him any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Not at all. But being 22 he has 10 years to improve before we see where his potential really is. Look at Harrington. Countless other cases.

What he does have is an ability to go really low. If his consistency improves over 4 days, through fitness and experience, he could be quite good I think. But like you, thats just my opinion. I have some reservations about McIlroy that probably wouldn't go down well either. But both are in different leagues now.

If he hangs onto his card.
    If he doesnt I think he will vanish into club-pro-land. To neglect his training (both physical and golf related) is a bad sign imo.
    He could well go on to great things, but so far Im not sure if he has had to work hard enough to realize what he will lose if he doesnt earn and keep his card when the exemptions run out.

He is a standout player on the EuroTour at the moment, mainly because he is twice the size of everyone else!

And as for his fitness - Montgomerie was never the slimest man in the world and it didn't do him any harm.

True, but back then everyone was similiar. I think you would be in the minority now if you thought that being unfit and overweight wasnt a handicap (har har) in the modern game.

GreeBo wrote: »
    True, but back then everyone was similiar. I think you would be in the minority now if you thought that being unfit and overweight wasnt a handicap (har har) in the modern game.

Ya. I do think that in this day and age that you have a better chance of success if you're fit. It's a worldwide game now and I'm sure the demands of todays game would be easier to handle if you're a fit athlete. Less chance of fatigue affecting you etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

true, but i wouldn't call angel cabrera or lee westwood slim men either!! Their physical size doesn't affect their performances!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

The idea of the thread is about Shane improving his game to make him more consistent and fighting for titles.

I thought Lee came out and said he has worked very hard on his fitness which has shown to good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Trampas wrote: »
    The idea of the thread is about Shane improving his game to make him more consistent and fighting for titles.

I thought Lee came out and said he has worked very hard on his fitness which has shown to good results.

He has indeed actually you can see it yourself looks in decent shape and his game has improved because of it.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    but i wouldn't call angel cabrera or lee westwood slim men either
    I wouldnt call them incredibly consistent either though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

Looks like he's got his head well screwed on.

All these questions about his work ethic does say one thing, he definitely has the natural talent.
    Plus being from Offaly he's born with that winning mentality.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

jimjo wrote: »

And heres you lot all knocking the chap because hes unfit, and cant get it up and down. Shame on the begrudging irish mentality. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

gorfield wrote: »
    And heres you lot all knocking the chap because hes unfit, and cant get it up and down. Shame on the begrudging irish mentality. :mad:

100%. ive been pretty impressed with his results lately & also with the fact that he grasped the 'mate as caddy' nettle pretty quickly. id be hopeful of a decent 2010 season for shane.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I can't understand the mentality either... his win was one of the sporting highlights of the year... only a Duval win at the US Open could have topped it it golfing terms for me.
    He has already shown himself to be quite accomplished despite his youth and inexperience.
    Looking forward to tracking his progress (however he fares).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Licksy wrote: »
    I can't understand the mentality either... his win was one of the sporting highlights of the year... only a Duval win at the US Open could have topped it it golfing terms for me.
    He has already shown himself to be quite accomplished despite his youth and inexperience.

The bit i can't fathom is those who say things along the lines of 'he'll never be a regular winner on tour, or a major champion, or a top ten in the world player'.

It's said as though that would make him a failure. Not everyone can become a Padraig Harrington, but even if he doesn't hit those heights, i'd be pretty confident that he will make a very nice career for himself playing pro golf.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I wouldnt call them incredibly consistent either though...
    Westwood is ranked as the 4th best golfer in the world. Do you not need incredible sustained consistency to reach them heights?

It's a typical Irish begrudging menatlity. If he's not winning regular majors people reckon he's not able to make the grade. People I know still mouth off about Harrington even - usual crap like he'll never win another major, he's not able to hack it against the big boys enough, he was lucky to win his majors etc. Boils my blood that does.

Westwood is ranked as the 4th best golfer in the world. Do you not need incredible sustained consistency to reach them heights?

He is 4th at the moment which is his best ever position...he is also in the best physical shape of his career....hmmm

• Advertisement

I dont think its necessarily begrudging to point out that if he wants to become the best in the world (or even a contender) that there are somethings he needs to address.
    Shortgame and physical fitness have been mentioned as two candidates and I dont see anything wrong with this. Surely you agree, for example, that he has plenty of scope for improving his fitness?

I do however think its silly to say things like "he will never be as good as" etc, but I dont think that just because he is Irish we should ignore some faults he has. He has proclaimed that he isnt a big fan of practicing. In my opinion thats not going to help you get to #1.

Was also rooting for Duval, he seems to have vanished again and missed his card for next year :(

Advertisement