Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what is so bad about daewoo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

But the question was what is wrong with Daewoo's. Not what cars are better, faster, sexier :rolleyes:

Based on that reasoning, i'm tempted to ask what's wrong with the bus? It does everything your car does, just not as well :D

The original question was, what's so bad about daewoos. My answer is that I can think of a long list of superior alternatives (for my motoring priorities) at any price point you can mention.

You might argue that that doesn't make a car 'bad' - the steering wheel steers, the brakes brake, the engine can reach the national speed limit, and it should last for twenty years if it's looked after well enough. There's no such thing as an out-and-out 'bad' car in europe any more. Fine, daewoo's aren't bad in an absolute sense, just seriously inferior to most of their competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

The "Faster" comment was laughable.

...am...why exactly? It wouldn't be too hard to find a car faster than a Daewoo tbh.

I get narky when I see people who have not driven cars give their worldy input on matters. Pet hate of mine.

Also I know enough about Daewoo's to not have to drive one never mind buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Mine went through two ignition coils and finally died at 95,000mls. I once talked to a fitter about my (old) one, what he said rang so true. ''They do what they want'' he said. This is absolutely correct IMO.

What was suprising though is the handling, even on new dunlops I needed enourmous courage on wet roundabouts. The engine noise on motorways was amazing!

It did supprise me. Acceleration seemed relative to the cars 'humour'. I'm quite convinced it was faster than the OH 1.4L focus 60% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Well what do you know about them? Pray tell!! I have driven one for 2 yrs now and believe they have been very under-rated, which I do not mind cos that gives me good motoring without putting so much as a dent in my finances

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 iWillBeReborn

Note to self:

Remember about discussing on de internet with... " "

:eek::cool::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭NLane

i'll start off by saying that i have never driven a daewoo... i alsoknow that i never will. i have been in a few and found the interior pretty unattractive and everything felt flimsy in some way.

the main reason i will never drive a daewoo is their appearance. daewoo drivers seem to be saying that they have found them to be reliable, cheap to run and cheap to buy. this is all fine, but personally i also want a car that looks good. and there are plenty of good-looking, reliable cars out there that won't set you back too much more than a daewoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No matter how cheap they make it. It would never be cheap enough for me. I'd prefer to get the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lipo starter

Obviously there are a lot of people that don't like the daewoo, someone posted its for older people, im 41..am i that old? NO you don't to reply to that bit lol. I still can't see from all the posts, what are the problems. some are saying other cars go faster, I don't want to race, I want to get around safely. As for appearance, When I got it serviced, the mechanic came out, said when he heard it was a daewoo lanos, he was expecting to see an awful looking car, but said he was suprised at it, it wasn't what he expected at all, that it looks great. Any of my friends who have seen it, have all said it's a lovely car, I know I'm biased, but honestly, it does look nice (apart from all the bumps and scratches on it due to me!)
    What I wanted to know, is mechanically, nobody has ever told me specifically, what can be wrong with it. It was owned by a lady driver first, then for two years by a man, then me for a year, it's a 00, I think 48000 on it. I did forget to say I got the brake pads done too. Someone posted up about the oil needing to be an expensive one, again, I have no clue, mechanic does that for me. Sometimes it doesn't seem to brake well & it now gives out a (little squeal coming to a stop since the pads were done). When with the instructor (I have used 2 diff cars with him) when I brake in his car, I brake way too hard after using my car and its that bad, we move forward a bit in the seats. Also, going into 2nd gear, its sometimes hard to get it in, where his just moves in with no probs. Like I said though, I am only really used to the daewoo, so can't tell what is not good on the car

As for appearance, When I got it serviced, the mechanic came out, said when he heard it was a daewoo lanos, he was expecting to see an awful looking car, but said he was suprised at it, it wasn't what he expected at all, that it looks great. Any of my friends who have seen it, have all said it's a lovely car, I know I'm biased, but honestly, it does look nice (apart from all the bumps and scratches on it due to me!)

i guess it depends on what you like personally... i drive an alf romeo 147 and think its one of the best looking cars on the road. im sure others out there wouldn't agree. i just feel there's nothing exciting or innovative about the styling of any daewoo i've ever seen or been in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Look, it's lowest common denominator motoring, nothing more, nothing less. If you're happy with one, good for you. I for one cannot fathom why anyone would buy one either new or used when there are far better alternatives around, regardless of your budget.

c4cat wrote: »
    Well what do you know about them?

Theres a reason why they are the "cheaper" brand, i.e. there a ball of scrap & thats good enough reason for me to steer clear of them.

Absurdum wrote: »
    Look, it's lowest common denominator motoring, nothing more, nothing less. If you're happy with one, good for you. I for one cannot fathom why anyone would buy one either new or used when there are far better alternatives around, regardless of your budget.

Because it was given to me, I didn't have a car, I had an old banger years ago, but never drove it, someone else would drive me around. I just wanted to know, why people don't like it, there was a comment about the steering on it, I haven't noticed any problems with that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Because it was given to me, I didn't have a car, I had an old banger years ago, but never drove it, someone else would drive me around. I just wanted to know, why people don't like it, there was a comment about the steering on it, I haven't noticed any problems with that at all.

Fair enough, I apologise if I was insulting to you. If you're happy with it then that's all that matters to you.

I haven't noticed any problems with that at all.

hard to notice things about a car when you dont drive anything better.... i thought my '99 astra was fine until i got my '07 147!

Obviously there are a lot of people that don't like the daewoo, someone posted its for older people, im 41..am i that old? NO you don't to reply to that bit lol. I still can't see from all the posts, what are the problems. ...

Its the worst driving car ever. Even at snails pace. If you not worried about your own safety, appearance, or comfort, enjoyment or losing money hand over fist as soon as you buy one. Then its the perfect car for you. No load space, underpowered even with one person. A 10yr old Micra is better in every way than a brand new Matiz. Yet you are paying vastly more for it.

If you don't notice any of these things, then it doesn't matter what car you buy. You'd probably be happy on a ride on lawnmower.

Absurdum wrote: »
    Fair enough, I apologise if I was insulting to you. If you're happy with it then that's all that matters to you.
    No you didn't insult me at all, and theres no need to apologise, it's appreciated though :) I was just puzzled after looking at so many remarks about daewoo being a rubbish car that I had to ask

NLane wrote: »
    hard to notice things about a car when you dont drive anything better.... i thought my '99 astra was fine until i got my '07 147!

Thats because Astra's are decent cars.

BostonB wrote: »
    Its the worst driving car ever. Even at snails pace. If you not worried about your own safety, appearance, or comfort, enjoyment or losing money hand over fist as soon as you buy one. Then its the perfect car for you. No load space, underpowered even with one person. A 10yr old Micra is better in every way than a brand new Matiz. Yet you are paying vastly more for it.

If you don't notice any of these things, then it doesn't matter what car you buy. You'd probably be happy on a ride on lawnmower.

Thats harsh!!! I don't want to go at a snails pace, I go whatever the speed limit is, safety wise, I have had no problem, appearance, as long as its not a battered up old banger and it gets me around, I don't mind. The lawnmower comment... I'm not that bad and it was uncalled for

Also, it hasn't cost me much money, only brake pads and replacing the battery cos it had been sitting idle for a long time

• Advertisement

So what exactly are you comparing it with then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Daewoo was bought over by Chev because of its growth.

Daewoo Group went bankrupt in 1999 an were forced to sell off Daewoo Motors. If there was "growth" do you think they would have gone bankrupt? GM bought the majority share because they already shared a lot of technology and were cheap.

Thats because Astra's are decent cars.

i agree, but compared to what i drive now it doesnt seem so good... and i think that a daewoo driver who hasnt driven something else wud have a similar experience if they drove something better for a while.

Thats harsh!!! I don't want to go at a snails pace, I go whatever the speed limit is, safety wise, I have had no problem, appearance, as long as its not a battered up old banger and it gets me around, I don't mind. The lawnmower comment... I'm not that bad and it was uncalled for

The reason you want to have good handling, braking if is you have to swerve and brake to avoid something. You don't want this to happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um-XlKerWvA

A battered old banger might be a better car.

I can't compare it with anything, I don't know anything about cars at all. I wanted to know what are the problems with it, the only thing i can give a small comparison too, is the instructors cars, his cars are new though, they are really smooth when changing gear, braking is a tiny touch to the brakes, on my car, it seems to need more pressure to brake. I am used to the daewoo now, and originally, I said that I know nothing else really, I can't compare it to anything, so can't tell if it's what way the car is, ie, the braking, gear change, or is it my driving ability.

The reason you want to have good handling, braking if is you have to swerve and brake to avoid something. You don't want this to happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um-XlKerWvA

A battered old banger might be a better car.
    oooh you really don't like daewoo lol

i agree, but compared to what i drive now it doesnt seem so good... and i think that a daewoo driver who hasnt driven something else wud have a similar experience if they drove something better for a while.

Its also 8yrs new and a different kinda car.

That's what I said earlier, I know nothing else, so can't judge it, but apparently, its crap in everyones eyes. I'm thinking because I am learning, that maybe I should get a different car, maybe it would be easier, then again, it could be just my driving that needs to be improved and not the car. The instructor tried my car out, he said it was fine, except that clutch or accelerator was high, not sure which one he said, it meant nothing to me, I asked would it be a problem with driving it, he said no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

@Lipostarter - if I may, you're going to get two main types of replies. There are people who eat to live and those who live to eat.

There isn't anything wrong with a Daewoo unless it's broken down or has stopped running. But there are lots of reasons as to why someone would or wouldn't buy one. I really couldn't buy one, there are many other cars I'd buy first.

Many people buy (or dont buy) cars because of things like tax, insurance, running costs. Others buy cars because of an emotional or other type of connection with the car - style, brand affiliation, performance, comfort, luxury, safety.

Design & styling may be subjective but if you ran a poll, you'd probably find a lot of petrolheads love the style of an Alfa. But perhaps the best person to answer your question is yourself. You arent going to understand what we have to say until you move on to your other cars.

My favourite cars have been a 1994 Mercedes E280 AT Eelegance and my SAAB 9-5 HOT Aero (Porsche-esque performance for a lot less money and extreme comfort).

I like the SAAB because it has air conditioned, leather, automatic luxury. It's beautiful to drive for 5 hours and its lightening fast at overtaking - which can be important to some people.

Speed isn't about doing 200mph - as you picked up on earlier - its about having the change of pace to overtake and many feel this is safer.

I don't break the speed limit (unless overtaking). I spend my time on the speed limit (with cruise control) but I can overtake a car in 4.5 seconds whereas a 1.4 astra can take up to 11 seconds or longer (I drive too much I know).

I couldn't do 1,500 miles a week in anything else. Also, when I'm doing 50km/h like you are, I have tyres that are twice as wide, I have 6 brake pads on double ventilated braking discs - that means my car stops sooner and has much better grip in the wet, on corners etc. So I'll argue my car is safer. Car safety based purely on engine size is, IMHO, flawed frankly.

So there are a lot of reasons to say one car is better than another but ultimately you'll have to try them to find out yours!

• Advertisement

link8r wrote: »
    You arent going to understand what we have to say until you move on to your other cars.

So there are a lot of reasons to say one car is better than another but ultimately you'll have to try them to find out yours!

+1, well said.

Advertisement