Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what is so bad about daewoo?

Options
  • 06-12-2009 8:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I own a daewoo lanos and have seen a lot of comments (not only on here but other sites) that they aren't good cars, this is the only car I have driven and haven't found anything wrong with it, except it was left unused for a while, battery went dead and had to get a new one. Can anyone tell me whats wrong with them? As I said, it is the only car I am used to, so maybe I can't tell what is the problem cos I know nothing else! I know nothing about cars but honestly think the daewoo is ok

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

what is so bad about daewoo?

Everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lipo starter

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Everything.
    lol well that doesnt help me much!! the only thing i notice is when i go from 1st to 2nd gear, it sticks a bit trying to get the gear in, but I'm a learner, that could be just me, although it hasn't happened when using the driving instructors car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Firstly, they have a bad image - the best you can say about they is they have a 'home appliance' look. They're dull, boring, not too well built, handle fairly poorly with a poor NCAP rating too. Reliability is ok but not great. The Lanos etc is aimed at middle aged and older or a family on a tight budget. They're a good buy for older people who will keep them for ten years.

Essentially they are not a car that anyone would recommend to a friend. Have a look here for perspective. If I was given the choice between a Daewoo and an Alfa I'd pick the Alfa, regardless of it's reliability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Confab wrote: »
    Firstly, they have a bad image

Image is a subjective characteristic important only to sheep who care what other sheep playing the same car 'image' game will think about them.
    It does not make a care either good or bad, and more discerning car buyers can see through the image factor (which is distinct from, but frequently confused with, aesthetic design) and judge a car on its intrinsic merits or demerits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Sandwich wrote: »
    demerits.

=
    00.daewoo.nubira.cdx.f34.500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

clearly lipo, you do not know much about cars and are wondering about the reputation that daewoo commonly have,

i am on my second Matiz, and each week drive large distances in laguna,mondeo,zafira type cars.

I return to my Matiz, with a smile. the matiz is used ,mostly for local use, but even for a 100,mile round trip isOK.

Repairs over three years may have cost 150 euro. the car is now six year old.

I think there may be some parts that go regularly, but not for me yet.

Your car is not a mMatiz but i assume is made from the same bits and by the same people.

Street cred of a Daewoo is nil, which may explain the publics view.

when Daewoo s came on the market, being aware of the Yugo,Lada,Polski eras I assumed this was more of the same I was wrong.

Confab concedes that they are a good buy for older people. If this is correct, and I agree, then I fail to see how the age of the buyer matters.( except fors street cred comment above)

Confab, you have stated your choice on the alfa thing, which would you recommend to someone like the OP.

Regards, Rugbyman

I may set up the Matiz fan club soon. meetings of the full group could perhaps be held in the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Oh, forgot to add, my teenage son has refused to even take a lift in this car for over a year. his health, walking to school has probably improved as a result.
    Rugbyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Absurdum wrote: »
    =
    00.daewoo.nubira.cdx.f34.500.jpg

If someone can photoshop an Alfa badge on the front, I'm sure you would find some Alfisti tell you its an 'innovative design, subtly evoking, with a hint of retro, the rich racing heritage, and motor car as art tradition that is the essence of an Alfa Romeo'. Or some such. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Daewoo.... I am not a car man but more of a practical man. Daewoo was bought over by Chev because of its growth. Its not a good looking car but its cheap and reliable, This suits me fine when scumbags are eyeing up my street for which car to buy.

As for kids not being happy in my Daewoo..... That sounds like the perfect car to me! Dads Taxi is off the Road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If someone can photoshop an Alfa badge on the front, I'm sure you would find some Alfisti tell you its an 'innovative design, subtly evoking, with a hint of retro, the rich racing heritage, and motor car as art tradition that is the essence of an Alfa Romeo'. Or some such. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

No. No they wouldn't. The thing is ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

That's just a silly comment. Daewoo's always looked bland and unimaginative. They were budget dependable transport and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Boots2006

Well I rented a Lanos earlier in the year, it was an oldish one, with about 60k miles on it. Coming from a 10 year old Opel Astra, I was hoping that it would at least be on a par with that (I may have read somewhere that the Lanos is based on an Astra?)

It was poorly built (everything inside creaked), had a harsh ride, there was no feel to the brakes, and it wandered all over the place on the motorway. It required constant adjustment of the steering to keep it on track. It was so bad I thought it may have been crashed at some stage.:eek:

There were 2 good things : it was cheap, and it was economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Daewoo is automotive white goods. Generic, bland, functional.
    Nothing wrong with that, but nothing special about it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Thats Ironic really givin that this.....

car_photo_11210_7.jpg

started life as this....... ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo_Matiz )

ItalDesign Cinquecento Lucciola
    93id_cinquecento_lucciola_2.jpg

Which was supposed to replace the Fiat Cinquecento.... Funny That :P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I own a daewoo lanos and have seen a lot of comments (not only on here but other sites) that they aren't good cars, this is the only car I have driven and haven't found anything wrong with it, except it was left unused for a while, battery went dead and had to get a new one. Can anyone tell me whats wrong with them? As I said, it is the only car I am used to, so maybe I can't tell what is the problem cos I know nothing else! I know nothing about cars but honestly think the daewoo is ok

They are fine as cheap, basic a to b transport but there are other makes out there that do the same thing better in everyway and more. So as you have said yourself you have driven/owned nothing else so you have nothing to compare them to.

It's like a tv, buy a basic cheap television and it will display a program which you think is fine, put a full HD LCD tv next to it and notice the difference. You will probably not want to watch the old tv again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

To me a car has to get me from where I am to where else I want to go , when I want to reliably and safely. The Daewoo does that at a very reasonable cost. 2 yrs ago I bought a Lagenza 7yrs old with just 22,000kms for a total of E2000 incl of VRT (imorted from UK) has a/c. ABS electric seats. I will keep it for at least 5 yrs or more then replace it with another Daewoo. If it breaks down in the meantime I will just send it to the knackers yard and get another. So basically I get to use this car at a cost of E34 per month. Now I am as happy as my cash saved in the bank at all those who snub the Daewoo and are taken in by brand Hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

c4cat wrote: »
    To me a car has to get me from where I am to where else I want to go , when I want to reliably and safely. The Daewoo does that at a very reasonable cost. 2 yrs ago I bought a Lagenza 7yrs old with just 22,000kms for a total of E2000 incl of VRT (imorted from UK) has a/c. ABS electric seats. I will keep it for at least 5 yrs or more then replace it with another Daewoo. If it breaks down in the meantime I will just send it to the knackers yard and get another. So basically I get to use this car at a cost of E34 per month.
    That's fine, and a perfectly reasonable point of view, but...
    ...all those who snub the Daewoo and are taken in by brand Hype.
    ...try to understand that some of us see things differently - we like cars that can do more than get us from A to B, and that's fine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Daewoo, the car with no woo factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

My daughter has a LANOS and the engine is prone to developing black sludge in the lube system. This leads to hydraulic lifters that fail and accelerated wear on the camshaft and valve train components.

This is a car that needs on oil change every 5k miles with an expensive high spec semi synthetic oil as any other oil breaks down and the result is the black sludge that clogs up/restricts oil flow.

Go to any scrap yard and take a look at the top of a LANOS engine with the top cover removed and you will see cronic wear on the camshaft lobe of at least one cylinder.

Nasty, Nasty, Nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

That's fine, and a perfectly reasonable point of view, but...

...try to understand that some of us see things differently - we like cars that can do more than get us from A to B, and that's fine too.

So what more can another car do that a lagenza can not do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

Faster, more fun, more comfortable, better build quality , wow factor, more stylish the list goes on...

(Also if your prone to badge snobbery thats a plus too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Everything.

Your posts all always so insightful and full of wisdom Robbie, fair play.

I have a Daewoo Lanos (I'm a learner driver too) and it does exactly what I need from it, get me around the place. I've driven other cars and I can see the difference straight away; easier and more comfertable to drive, smoother on the road, a safer car in general.

In a few years time I'll be looking to buy a "better" car, but for the time being I'm happy with my Daewoo Lanos as it does the job I need it for and it's cheap (which is a good thing as I'm currently unemployed:()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 iWillBeReborn

Faster, more fun, more comfortable, better build quality , wow factor, more stylish the list goes on...

(Also if your prone to badge snobbery thats a plus too!)

lol @ faster etc.

Yes I agree. A porsche is a better buy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

3 Star NCAP rating with one struck off... I wouldn't like to be in one in an accident
    http://www.euroncap.com/tests/daewoo_lanos_1998/31.aspx

lol @ faster etc.

Yes I agree. A porsche is a better buy :rolleyes:

You obviously dont realise there are fast cars out there that dont wear the Porsche badge.

Ever hear of the term hot-hatch?

You obviously dont realise there are fast cars out there that dont wear the Porsche badge.

Ever hear of the term hot-hatch?

Yes. To both questions.

But the question was what is wrong with Daewoo's. Not what cars are better, faster, sexier :rolleyes:

What Daewoo did you own or drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A new daewoo matiz is the worst car I have ever driven. Horrible to drive, controls are horrible, paper thin and no power at all. I've had cartons of milk which felt more solid.

Yes. To both questions.

But the question was what is wrong with Daewoo's. Not what cars are better, faster, sexier :rolleyes:

What Daewoo did you own or drive?

If ya read the posts properly you'd realise I was replying to c4cat's post above. So the question wasn't whats wrong with Daewoo's, its what can other cars do better and if you bothered to read the posts you'd see thats what I was replying to.

BTW why would you automatically assume i was on about a Porsche when I mentioned a car thats faster? You dont need Porsche money to buy a fast comfortable car.
    Guess it shows how much you know about cars.:rolleyes:

If ya read the posts properly you'd realise I was replying to c4cat's post above. So the question wasn't whats wrong with Daewoo's, its what can other cars do better and if you bothered to read the posts you'd see thats what I was replying to.

BTW why would you automatically assume i was on about a Porsche when I mentioned a car thats faster? You dont need Porsche money to buy a fast comfortable car.
    Guess it shows how much you know about cars.:rolleyes:

I'll put me hand up. I get narky when I see people who have not driven cars give their worldy input on matters. Pet hate of mine.

There are better cars than Daewoo available. The "Faster" comment was laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I'll put me hand up. I get narky when I see people who have not driven cars give their worldy input on matters. Pet hate of mine.

There are better cars than Daewoo available. The "Faster" comment was laughable.

Why?

Advertisement