Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-rated bands (in your own opinion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The likes of The Killer's imo, are totally overrated - especially Razorlight, Jonny Borrall wants several kicks.

U2 are number 1 though. Going on like " The Claw " was something unique, when Metallica had virtually the same set up in '91 with their " In The Round" stage

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I wouldn't really consider the likes of Killers, Arctic Monkeys etc rock tbh

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I wouldn't really consider the likes of Killers, Arctic Monkeys etc rock tbh

Yea, but most trendy idiots do. As do MTV and festival promoters like Oxegen. They're all generic crap. Can't stand it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Yea, but most trendy idiots do. As do MTV and festival promoters like Oxegen. They're all generic crap. Can't stand it.
    True, as far as they're concerned if you have a guitar, drums and bass you're rock

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

True, as far as they're concerned if you have a guitar, drums and bass you're rock

Hmm... Is that how Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys and the Killers ended up on Guitar Hero? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The amount of music snobbery here is ridiculous!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Unless your favourite band is the Beatles your statment is invalid! haha! :D:p

My favourite band is in fact The Beatles :D

MrStuffins wrote: »

Yea shocking stuff.... Imagine rock and metal fans in a Rock and Metal forum not appreciating the talents of the Killers. :eek:

Yea shocking stuff.... Imagine rock and metal fans in a Rock and Metal forum not appreciating the talents of the Killers. :eek:

You have to agree that comments like ".. the likes of The Killes etc" is a bit snobberish. Discounting an entire genre?

You have to agree that comments like ".. the likes of The Killes etc" is a bit snobberish. Discounting an entire genre?

Genre?! Ok, a new genre called "bands that play at Oxegen every year".

It's pop under the guise of rock music for pop fans that pretend they are alternative yet are scared of metal heads. But still want to wear wrist bands and jump in the pit.

Is that snobby? I don't care because "are we human or are we dancers" makes me want to burst my ear drums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

liah wrote: »
    Nirvana. They're seriously not THAT special, the only thing that made them as famous as they are was the drama surrounding Cobain and Love.

I like them and all but.. meh.

Well they kind of are. There's a good chance the 90s could have been characterized by mulleted spandex-wearing hairspray bands if Cobain and co hadn't turned up. it's impossible to underestimate the influence that band had, and, i think its fair to say they a lot of people's love affair with alternative/rock/metal started with them, I include myself there.
    Go back and listen to Bleach or better still the live at Reading album that's just come out. It's just way too easy to let all that Kurt/Courtney rubbish to get in the way of that band's genius.

Anyway, Guns n' Roses... yuck. Never got why people listen to bands of this ilk. that includes all the masturbatory guitar solo cheese that's come back into fashion at the moment too (Avenged Sevenfold...crickey.. i weep for the children) Overblown, pompous and tacky. no thanks.

Genre?! Ok, a new genre called "bands that play at Oxegen every year".

It's pop under the guise of rock music for pop fans that pretend they are alternative yet are scared of metal heads. But still want to wear wrist bands and jump in the pit.

Is that snobby? I don't care because "are we human or are we dancers" makes me want to burst my ear drums.

Yes, incredibly snobby. I bet that if you were listening to the radio and heard an amazing song you would instantly hate it if you later found out it was The Killers.

Yes, incredibly snobby. I bet that if you were listening to the radio and heard an amazing song you would instantly hate it if you later found out it was The Killers.

Well they would never make an amazing song

Ba dum tish!

Well they would never make an amazing song

Ba dum tish!

Way to prove my point!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Had the same thought reading down through the thread. It's so ridiculous it's bordering on diriculous!

Way to prove my point!

Yea, a band in my opinion is over rated and crappy. They will never make a record that I will find amazing. Point well and truly proven.

I'm not a snob, not that it matters. I likes what I likes. I hate fakery. I hate manufactured clone rubbish for the fickle masses. UNLESS it's good old written on the tin, call a spade a spade pop music.

Here's my last.fm page

Check out my snobby music...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Way to prove my point!

It's not snobbery. It's a given. It would be similar to calling me snobby for making an assumption that Britney Spears will never make a good record.

The Killers are mtv faux rock droll that make catchy pop tunez for the masses to rock out to. It's some peoples cuppa tea, but not mine.

Yea, a band in my opinion is over rated and crappy. They will never make a record that I will find amazing. Point well and truly proven.

I'm not a snob, not that it matters. I likes what I likes. I hate fakery. I hate manufactured clone rubbish for the fickle masses. UNLESS it's good old written on the tin, call a spade a spade pop music.

Here's my last.fm page

Kiss?! :( now there's an overrated band.
    eeeew:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Kiss?! :( now there's an overrated band.
    eeeew:pac::pac::pac::pac:

TAKE THAT BACK!!! :D You don't mean it!

Here's my last.fm page

I don't need to look at your Last FM to tell you're a snob.

The Killers nor Arctic Monkeys have pretended to be metal or anything like it.

They ain't manufactured as they write and compose their own works independently of any kind of "Manufacturer".

And there's nothing wrong with "Pop Music". The Beatles? Queen? Led Zep? All Pop Music i'm afraid.

Snobs let their snobbery get in the way of enjoying a good song and i get the impression you are one of these snobs!

EDIT: I'm not necessarily a fan of said genre, but i don't count out the possibility of liking songs from these bands.

• Advertisement

TAKE THAT BACK!!! :D You don't mean it!

;) not a fan at all! feel free to judge my profile though - 16 plays! :pac::pac::pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's not snobbery. It's a given. It would be similar to calling me snobby for making an assumption that Britney Spears will never make a good record.

The Killers are mtv faux rock droll that make catchy pop tunez for the masses to rock out to. It's some peoples cuppa tea, but not mine.

Its only a given because she's closed minded to liking a particular genre of music.

oh man oh man... Head. beat. brick. wall.

Can't believe this thread has been derailed to call people that don't appreciate the creative merits of a talented band like the Killers, snobs.

Hands washed of this, sir.

They ain't manufactured as they write and compose their own works independently of any kind of "Manufacturer".

And there's nothing wrong with "Pop Music". The Beatles? Queen? Led Zep? All Pop Music i'm afraid.

Snobs let their snobbery get in the way of enjoying a good song and i get the impression you are one of these snobs!

EDIT: I'm not necessarily a fan of said genre, but i don't count out the possibility of liking songs from these bands.

can kinda see where your coming from, but it's really hard not to hate these bands when commercial radio stations play it 4 times an hour . The line between snobbery and aural torture is kind of blurred, especially with the likes of the Killers/Snowpatrol (band's that have potential to make a decent tune but have settled on formulaic chart toppers.) oh yeah, turning the radio off in work is not an option :(.

can kinda see where your coming from, but it's really hard not to hate these bands when commercial radio stations play it 4 times an hour . The line between snobbery and aural torture is kind of blurred, especially with the likes of the Killers/Snowpatrol (band's that have potential to make a decent tune but have settled on formulaic chart toppers.) oh yeah, turning the radio off in work is not an option :(.

Yes, but what i'm saying is that if these bands with potential to write a song fulfil this potential and write a great song, snobs will dislike it because they dislike their fans wanting "to wear wrist bands and jump in the pit".

Thats not what music is about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Notorious wrote: »
    Eh no, just no.

ERRRRR YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS Very much so..

so what? it doesnt matter what genre music is.. a good song is still a good song, and ive (unfortunately) seen both The Killers and Artic Monkeys live.. both are just a barrage of noise with absolutely no talent to back it up, now a days theres a very handy thing called Pro Tools which allows medicore bands such as these sound passible on the radio but they come undone live..

so what? it doesnt matter what genre music is.. a good song is still a good song, and ive (unfortunately) seen both The Killers and Artic Monkeys live.. both are just a barrage of noise with absolutely no talent to back it up, now a days theres a very handy thing called Pro Tools which allows medicore bands such as these sound passible on the radio but they come undone live..

Thats the exact point i'm making.

And The Killers and Arctic Monkeys may not be your thing, but to dismiss an entire genre due to this is music snobbery.

I'm not an Arctic Monleys fan, but i have to disagree there. There's some good musicianship there.

Have you ever heard Matt Helders play drums? One of the best drummers in music IMHO

• Advertisement

Thats the exact point i'm making.

And The Killers and Arctic Monkeys may not be your thing, but to dismiss an entire genre due to this is music snobbery.

its not music snobbery tho, if either of them could write a decent song i'd give it a listen.. look at Biffy Clyro a band in similar genre/similar fanbase.. and they're one of the best live bands ive ever seen, who actually write phenomenal songs, but the killers and artic monkeys dont, but because the NME wont shut up about them it makes people actually think they're good

Advertisement