Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-rated bands (in your own opinion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

its not music snobbery tho, if either of them could write a decent song i'd give it a listen.. look at Biffy Clyro a band in similar genre/similar fanbase.. and they're one of the best live bands ive ever seen, who actually write phenomenal songs, but the killers and artic monkeys dont, but because the NME wont shut up about them it makes people actually think they're good

I'm not defending the songs of either bands, i'm saying that it's snobby to dismiss thesongs of a band who happen to fit into the same genre as 2 bands you don't like, in this case The Killers and Arctic Monkeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

actually earlier i stated the Killer's had the potential to make a decent tune (that would appeal to me) , but i honestly don't think they do. I can't remember ever liking them, so i'd like to withdraw that statement. it has nowt to do with their fans or whatever. I also said Snowpatrol did, but i'll stand by that because they had some good early stuff so i'd like to use them to illustrate my point earlier. okay deep breath....now i feel dirty. i'm going for a shower.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm not defending the songs of either bands, i'm saying that it's snobby to dismiss thesongs of a band who happen to fit into the same genre as 2 bands you don't like, in this case The Killers and Arctic Monkeys

again if a band writes a good song, theres no denying it, but all those phoney indie bands deserve to be lumped in together because they're all unoriginal/untalented skinny jeans wearing posers..

and the drummer from the Artic Monkeys is the most over rated musician ive ever seen honestly the guy doesnt even deserve to hold the sticks of
    Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy or Gavin Harrison

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

again if a band writes a good song, theres no denying it, but all those phoney indie bands deserve to be lumped in together because they're all unoriginal/untalented skinny jeans wearing posers..

and the drummer from the Artic Monkeys is the most over rated musician ive ever seen honestly the guy doesnt even deserve to hold the sticks of
    Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy or Gavin Harrison

We'll agree to disagree :D

We'll agree to disagree :D

hahaaha no bother..;)

• Advertisement

oh, i'd also like to echo sentiments of Red Hot Chilli Peppers earlier in the thread. How their brand of insipid funk rock headlined slane i'll never no. Anthony Keidis is a truely bruuutal singer. That 'can't stop the shindig' song (can't remember the name) was painfully repetitive in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,566 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Its only a given because she's closed minded to liking a particular genre of music.

Wow, what a snobby comment. You're cutting off an entire genre just because of your snobbery. I'm sure to some people her eclectic mix of pop and whatever the hell she's into speaks volumes to them.

Works both ways! :P

and here's some more i wouldnt rate too highly

AC/DC - same three riffs, compressed guitars, lumbering overly-simple drumming, horrible voice... don't get it
    Aerosmith - Horrid soft rock posturing. utter sh1t.
    Queen - Sure they put on a great show and all but Bohemian Rhapsody makes me queasy. As does the rest of their catalogue.

Master of the Universe

Agree with you on AC/DC there. Horrid stuff. Never got them at all.

Queen and Aerosmith are great though!

Totally agree with you about Aerosmith always thought they kinda sucked, but how can you not love the good time Rock N Roll of AC/DC??

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Agree with you on AC/DC there. Horrid stuff. Never got them at all.

Queen and Aerosmith are great though!

was going to hit the thanks button considering AD/DC are a sacred cow in these parts then i saw this! consider my offer withdrawn!:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I can't stand AC/DC.

Totally agree with you about Aerosmith always thought they kinda sucked, but how can you not love the good time Rock N Roll of AC/DC??

I don't know really, i really hate the sound of the guitars to start with, they're just compressed/clean or something? not really into guitar show-offy stuff either, not my bag. and his voice does my head in! just makes me want to hawk up something nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

It's the school uniform. Admit it. You like it too much and it scares you a little. :D

Master of the Universe

I quite like my high pitched male vocals (That just didn't sound right), but there is just something about AC/DC's tracks that send a horrible shiver up my spine. Not good.
    was going to hit the thanks button considering AD/DC are a sacred cow in these parts then i saw this! consider my offer withdrawn!:pac::D

Bah! Your taste is lacking. :p

I don't know really, i really hate the sound of the guitars to start with, they're just compressed/clean or something? not really into guitar show-offy stuff either, not my bag. and his voice does my head in! just makes me want to hawk up something nasty

Ah well..there pretty good reasons to not to like them!!

o1s1n wrote: »
    I quite like my high pitched male vocals (That just didn't sound right), but there are just something about AC/DC's tracks that send a horrible shiver up my spine. Not good.

bahahhaaa :D:D

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    It's the school uniform. Admit it. You like it too much and it scares you a little. :D

:D it's true! Same with Kiss, the real reason i hate them is because of Gene Simmons' tongue :pac:!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

oh man oh man... Head. beat. brick. wall.

Can't believe this thread has been derailed to call people that don't appreciate the creative merits of a talented band like the Killers, snobs.

Hands washed of this, sir.
    Well this is Rock and metal, and not "indie pop rock ill listen to whatever MTV tells me to and forget about them two years later cos another band that sounds the same is now being pushed in NME" forum. The killers and their ilk are $hite. No contesting that lads.

Another few bands that people like but i hate are Aerosmith, The rolling stones, the eagles, Foo Fighters, Nirvana etc.

Lay off the kiss bashing btw guys, yes its cheesy but its meant to be :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fin-slipknot

Well they would never make an amazing song

Ba dum tish!

lil kitten...your are brilliant. i cant stop laughing:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

yeahme wrote: »
    nine inch nails adn trents solo
    couple of good songs but nothing much,
    give me faith no more/stp/metallica any day

oh yeah metallica nut here, but last couple albums not great and tjats coming from a mad metallica fan, who used to worship lars and co...till I met them :rolls eyes)
    Really? Are they not nice people?

You better believe it!
    soundest out of the whole lot was robert,

As for music snobbery, different strokes for different folks,
    but manufactured pop churned out by music company reps is really too much, and its specifically directed at the parents of kids who have to buy this crap,
    Myself I listen to all types but metal is my fav,
    I can still listen rap, blues, swing, etc...
    even classical
    here listen this and tell me this is not metal

its all good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Well this is Rock and metal, and not "indie pop rock ill listen to whatever MTV tells me to and forget about them two years later cos another band that sounds the same is now being pushed in NME" forum. The killers and their ilk are $hite. No contesting that lads.

Another few bands that people like but i hate are Aerosmith, The rolling stones, the eagles, Foo Fighters, Nirvana etc.

Lay off the kiss bashing btw guys, yes its cheesy but its meant to be :P
    Hear hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Metal, serious business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

ERRRRR YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS Very much so..

I can tolerate the Arctic Monkeys and I dislike the Killers. But to say they can't play their instruments - that's just wrong. They may not be technical geniuses, but they can play.

Woah, this thread is really becoming a genre bashing one! As a side note, I read an interview with the lead singer from Kasabian (can't remember his name), and he was talking about how his band and the Arctic Monkeys are the only rock bands left in England at the moment. I think he was referring to the void left by Oasis on the 'britpop/britrock' scene. I'd say both of them could be considered as rock; just on the fringe of the genre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

yeahme wrote: »

There's your link yeahme, and a damn good one at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I wouldn't really consider the likes of Killers, Arctic Monkeys etc rock tbh
    Come on! How the hell are the Arctic Monkeys not rock? The are pure rock :rolleyes: Fair enough with the Killers they have electro sounding stuff.

Notorious wrote: »
    I can tolerate the Arctic Monkeys and I dislike the Killers. But to say they can't play their instruments - that's just wrong. They may not be technical geniuses, but they can play.

Woah, this thread is really becoming a genre bashing one! As a side note, I read an interview with the lead singer from Kasabian (can't remember his name), and he was talking about how his band and the Arctic Monkeys are the only rock bands left in England at the moment. I think he was referring to the void left by Oasis on the 'britpop/britrock' scene. I'd say both of them could be considered as rock; just on the fringe of the genre though.

Like i said already iv seen the artic monkeys live, and they really are a barrage of noise, and not even in a good way.. so really in the day and age of pro tools/autotune thats were a band should be judged.. live
    and my god, those guys are terrible

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Metallica, most definately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

Metallica arent over rated, the did produce some crap albums but their original stuff along with their live shows dont fail to disappoint!

Advertisement