Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-rated bands (in your own opinion)

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

fartmaster wrote: »
    Metallica arent over rated, the did produce some crap albums but their original stuff along with their live shows dont fail to disappoint!
    Nah, the amount of hype they get isn't right. They are great, but not the best metal band ever as a lot of people would lead you to believe

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

Nah, the amount of hype they get isn't right. They are great, but not the best metal band ever as a lot of people would lead you to believe

To be fair, the hype they get IS down to them and the constant touring they do! Any true metal fan has a copy of RTL/MOP/AJFA!! Its hard to say they are the best metal band of all time as they stopped producing metal albums after the Black album (I consider the black album Heavy Metal). If there was to be a band considered the great metal band of all time, im afraid it would be Metallica. No other band has done more for metal than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

agreed! any metal band in the main stream all get over rated! pantera, Metallica, etc etc, alot of metal fans dont have access to amazing bands, only what they can pick up in any music shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Not understanding the Pantera hate here. I tend to listen to Cowboys from Hell, Vulgar Display of Power and The Great Southern Trendkill so maybe I'm missing out on lots of their overrated lame music. :confused:

But I think VDoP is one of the best albums I've ever heard in my life. It's so raw, powerful, emotive. The drums and riffs are so aggressive, the solos are phenomenal and Phil's voice is like nothing I've ever heard in my life. Sends chills up my spine.

It's so different to basically anything that was around and all the campy hair metal that was around previously. (If anything killed glam metal it was this and not Nirvana hahah!)

Hostile and Walk still blow my fcukn head off even though I've heard them a million times. Every track on the album is golden, including the ballads.

I'll shut up now.. I just love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Not understanding the Pantera hate here. I tend to listen to Cowboys from Hell, Vulgar Display of Power and The Great Southern Trendkill so maybe I'm missing out on lots of their overrated lame music. :confused:

But I think VDoP is one of the best albums I've ever heard in my life. It's so raw, powerful, emotive. The drums and riffs are so aggressive, the solos are phenomenal and Phil's voice is like nothing I've ever heard in my life. Sends chills up my spine.

It's so different to basically anything that was around and all the campy hair metal that was around previously. (If anything killed glam metal it was this and not Nirvana hahah!)

Hostile and Walk still blow my fcukn head off even though I've heard them a million times. Every track on the album is golden, including the ballads.

Pantera have a big secret :D

http://www.edmonds.wednet.edu/mths/ClassActivities/Gilbraith/RMAC/Pantera%20Exposed%20Color.jpg

:o they were really awful in the 80s.
    still love them though, totally defined groove metal

• Advertisement

Pantera have a big secret :D

http://www.edmonds.wednet.edu/mths/ClassActivities/Gilbraith/RMAC/Pantera%20Exposed%20Color.jpg

:o they were really awful in the 80s.
    still love them though, totally defined groove metal

Hahah yea it's priceless. Rexx Rocker and Diamond Darell. Lmao! Let's talk 1989 onwards. I don't think pre that is rated at all never mind over rated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Hahah yea it's priceless. Rexx Rocker and Diamond Darell. Lmao! Let's talk 1989 onwards. I don't think pre that is rated at all never mind over rated!

:D nothing but love for them after that. 5 minutes alone is prob in my top five metal songs ever...there hasn't reallly been a band like them since, or has there? none that i can think of anyway :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

My opinion of Pantera to follow:
    I don't really like that album, I find Pantera to be one of those bands to produce good bits of songs, but overall I find the songs to be very lacking. I think alot of their riffs are very generic pentatonic stuff that I just find very boring.

And I think the production is fucking dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

Notorious wrote: »
    There's your link yeahme, and a damn good one at that!

and thats only a quick taste of the metal side of classical,
    lots more where that came from, but i dont have time to go lookin and postin....
    Ive always maintained that classical music, mozart beetohven, paschebel etc were the early frontrunners of metal.......
    used to get laughed at something silly till the cds were produced and then listened to!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

To be fair, the hype they get IS down to them and the constant touring they do! Any true metal fan has a copy of RTL/MOP/AJFA!! Its hard to say they are the best metal band of all time as they stopped producing metal albums after the Black album (I consider the black album Heavy Metal). If there was to be a band considered the great metal band of all time, im afraid it would be Metallica. No other band has done more for metal than them.

I would have to disagree and say that Iron Maiden are far far superior to Metallica any day. I loved most of their albums right up to the rather good self titled album, but I never liked anything they did after that. I also thought that 'Death Magnetic' was a very very poor album, with the exeption of 'The Day That Never Comes' which was very good.

Back on topic.

I also don't get the appeal of Mastodon, they are completely over - hyped to death. I recently got 'Blood Mountain and Crack The Skye' from the library and I had a good listen to them, and I have to say I'm not that impressed.:( There are a couple of good songs here and there, but overall I did'nt like the other songs at all.

'Remission' from 2003 was actually very very good indeed. It also annoys me that the likes of Metal Hammer, kerrang etc say that 'both 'Blood Mountain and Crack The Skye' are albums of the decade.:mad: I can think of at least twelve other albums that are way way better than these two medicore albums, that came out between 2000 and 2009. These are the albums that I think are much better than those two:

Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
    Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
    Moonspell - Night Eternal
    In Flames - Clayman
    Amorphis - Silent Waters
    Hypocrisy - A Taste of Extreme Divinity
    Paradise Lost - Faith Divides us, Death Unites us
    Iron Maiden - Brave New World
    Opeth - Blackwater Park
    Agalloch - The Mantle
    I - Between Two Worlds
    Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down

All those albums are far far better than both Mastodon's two so-called albums of the decade 'Blood Moutain and Crack The Skye'.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Five Finger Death Punch,

Megadeth (Do not like Dave's vocals at all),

Slayer (Again, Tom's vocals really dont do it for me, but they are growing on me a bit),

Avenged Sevenfold.......(Vocals again!)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

IMO, the only album of those three that I can say is a classic is And Justice For All. The other two are way way over hyped. As for being the greatest metal band of all time... You're having a laugh, and to say that no other metal band has done more for metal is an insult to any metal band that stuck to their roots. I suggest you listen to a bit more Maiden, Slayer and Megadeth before you come out with statements like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

This is where I stopped reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Led Zep

Blasphemy!!!

But I would say RHCP and Foo Fighters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I'm completely using the title of the thread. These are bands I think are way over-rated by their fans and by the rock/metal community in general, in my own opinion! I happen to like (love in some cases!) some of these bands, but I do not think they are worthy of the adulation and tags that are applied to them constantly; there are many more worthy and better bands out there. Many of these were simply in the right place at the right time and their popularity was cemented, or they were seen as avant garde in whatever genre they came from and thus became phenomenal successes, even if better bands came along afterwards.

-Metallica
    -Nirvana
    -Muse
    -Green Day
    -Bon Jovi
    -Aerosmith
    -Thin Lizzy
    -Pearl Jam
    -Queens Of The Stone Age (ha, once heard this mob called ''the greatest rock band ever'' by a fan of theirs:rolleyes:)
    -Mötley Crüe
    -Guns 'n' Roses
    -Hanoi Rocks
    -KISS
    -Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

DazMarz wrote: »
    I'm completely using the title of the thread. These are bands I think are way over-rated by their fans and by the rock/metal community in general, in my own opinion! I happen to like (love in some cases!) some of these bands, but I do not think they are worthy of the adulation and tags that are applied to them constantly; there are many more worthy and better bands out there. Many of these were simply in the right place at the right time and their popularity was cemented, or they were seen as avant garde in whatever genre they came from and thus became phenomenal successes, even if better bands came along afterwards.

-Metallica
    -Nirvana
    -Muse
    -Green Day
    -Bon Jovi
    -Aerosmith
    -Thin Lizzy
    -Pearl Jam
    -Queens Of The Stone Age (ha, once heard this mob called ''the greatest rock band ever'' by a fan of theirs:rolleyes:)
    -Mötley Crüe
    -Guns 'n' Roses
    -Hanoi Rocks
    -KISS
    -Yes

is it not more a case of most of these bands slogging away and just getting the right breaks though, being at the right place at the right time also.

I'm not refuting what you are saying, just think that some bands get the breaks they do because of those factors...and deserve the breaks in some of the above cases you mentioned..

Outta curiousity what better bands came along, do you think?

oh and Hanoi Rocks over-rated??? Really??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I agree with everything here....

Except that KISS RULE! They're supposed to be cheesy, it's the charm. If there's a better track than Love Gun, I haven't heard it. :D

Kiss are great. Love Gun is a class song, but you should also hear 'Black Diamond, I'm a Legend Tonight, Detriot Rock City, Cold Gin, Watchin' You, Shout It Out Loud, Nowhere To Run, God Gave Rock 'N' Roll To You, God Of Thunder, Creatures of the Night and Thrills in the Night. You should check out those excellent songs.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

DazMarz wrote: »

-Metallica
    -Nirvana
    -Muse
    -Green Day
    -Bon Jovi
    -Aerosmith
    -Thin Lizzy
    -Pearl Jam
    -Mötley Crüe
    -Guns 'n' Roses
    -Hanoi Rocks
    -KISS
    -Yes

Was that me? I don't think they the greatest...they just my favourite.

Kiss are great. Love Gun is a class song, but you should also hear 'Black Diamond, I'm a Legend Tonight, Detriot Rock City, Cold Gin, Watchin' You, Shout It Out Loud, Nowhere To Run, God Gave Rock 'N' Roll To You, God Of Thunder, Creatures of the Night and Thrills in the Night. You should check out those excellent songs.;)

Hahah yea, I'm familiar with their stuff. I've been a fan for years. I genuinely think they rock. Love Gun is hilarious, I thought it seemed like an appropriate example of the cheese they're mostly known for. :D

Edit: Love Gun also has one of the best solos known to man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I can understand if someone doesn't like them. But to say Pearl Jam are over rated, just doen't compute or make sense. They were the fore-bearers of their genre. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dan93

i could never really understand what the big fuss was with guns n roses and metallica were good at the start and now they have just gone to shi*e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

I can understand if someone doesn't like them. But to say Pearl Jam are over rated, just doen't compute or make sense. They were the fore-bearers of their genre. :confused:
    If you're referring to grunge well how could Pearl Jam be fore-bearers of grunge? They only formed in 1990 when grunge was becoming a force to be reckoned with. However two of their members, Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament, can be credited with helping create grunge when they were in Green River.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I agree with everything here....

Except that KISS RULE! They're supposed to be cheesy, it's the charm. If there's a better track than Love Gun, I haven't heard it. :D

Check out Beth or Going Blind. They're really good slow songs.

I'll concede I would have a great time at a Kiss gig. In the same way I would have a great time at a David Hasslehoff gig. But I don't take them seriously or would ever listen them unless I was drunk at a party. Fair enough if you think they are great. Different strokes for different folks. I find it blasphemous some people here are calling QOTSA overrated but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

If you're referring to grunge well how could Pearl Jam be fore-bearers of grunge? They only formed in 1990 when grunge was becoming a force to be reckoned with. However two of their members, Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament, can be credited with helping create grunge when they were in Green River.

Chose my words wrong. Meant torch-bearers.:o

Advertisement