Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who cant fit into seats on a plane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

consultech wrote: »
    What? You're clearly either:

a) Taking the piss
    b) Deluded
    b) Biased due to being morbidly obese

You ever think you might be biased because you've never had to lose colossal amounts of weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Are the airlines slowly packing more seats in though?

I'm quite short, fairly thin and I have issues with the space in aircraft, it's a pain to pick up anything you drop for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

SV wrote: »
    You ever think you might be biased because you've never had to lose colossal amounts of weight?

Struggled with my weight for years actually. Was 16 stone as a 16 year old, was 11 stone at 19. I made a consious decision to lose the weight, started boxing, ate well, and was never near as big again. Just this year I made the conscious choice to lose 3 stone in 2 months, which I did with hard work and diet every day, as a way of life.

You can justify anything if you flippantly label it as a "disease". In this instance, it's a complete lack of willpower. Call a spade a spade like.

Irrespective; The issue is nothing to do with losing weight, it's having the mental strength to not get there to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

consultech wrote: »
    What? You're clearly either:

a) Taking the piss
    b) Deluded
    b) Biased due to being morbidly obese

I'm not fat, deluded or taking the piss. I think its unfair to be so judgemental. Often obesity is a symptom of a greater problem, not the problem itself. Have some compassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

j1smithy wrote: »
    I'm not fat, deluded or taking the piss. I think its unfair to be so judgemental. Often obesity is a symptom of a greater problem, not the problem itself. Have some compassion.

It seems its quite popular to make fun of overweight people but not underweight for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

DubLass wrote: »
    It seems its quite popular to make fun of overweight people but not underweight for some reason.

Have you seen a fat person fall over? So much funnier than a skinny person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/photo-of-obese-air-passenger-in-economy-seat-sparks-debate-1960012.html

I know its an extreme example but i think its unfair to have to sit beside someone this big. Poor lad

Jesus! he would be fcuked if he needed to use the loo

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

brummytom wrote: »
    Yep. There isn't enough Lego in the world

They've got this special fat lego now just for this kind of thing(Only available in pirate though!).

They should be killed off in herds. They don't deserve to live. Especially the ones who say "It's a glandular problem" They can't even admit it's their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Yes it could be genetic. Who are we to judge without knowing peoples personal circumstances. Yes he might be simply be eating too much food, but thats a rather simplistic view. There could be any number of things wrong with him, both physically and/or mentally that has made him so big.

Obese people have feelings too, it isn't fair the way society treats them.

The vast majority of obese people have no mental condition or physical limitation which is a direct cause of obesity. If a person is physically handicapped and can't exercised or is mentally incompetent of pursueing a healthy diet and healthy lifestyle then there is nothing that can be done, so allowances have to be made.

As I said though, the vast majority of people who have this "disease" are simply lazy and lack willpower. My brother is a qualified dietician and personnal trainer, said obese people are the most irratating to deal with as the vast majority have **** all willpower and determination when it comes to losing weight and being healthy, they just talk about losing weight instead.

Answer me this, why should my flight be uncomfortable because some lardarse can't fit into his chair and is imposing on mine? Should be made pay for two, no if's or but's as he's taking up more than his fair share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

bluto63 wrote: »
    Have you seen a fat person fall over? So much funnier than a skinny person
    It cant be as amazing as the image I have in my mind.
    Does the world slow down when they do and you can see the ripples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Astrogeek

Would anyone else be absolutely terrived if there was an accident and he was blocking the exits?

I wouldnt be comfortable flying with him on the plane even if he paid for two seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Astrogeek wrote: »
    Would anyone else be absolutely terrived if there was an accident and he was blocking the exits?

I wouldnt be comfortable flying with him on the plane even if he paid for two seats.

Considering how he's wider than the aisle, he poses a serious safety risk to all on the plane for whatever exit he decides to head for. Imagine if there was a fire on the plane and he was in the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

God how embarrassing to be the guy in this picture! if it's horrible sitting next to him it must be even worse to have actually be him! I feel sorry for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

See post #51

Why is it alright to poke fun at a fat person? No sensible person would dare to do it to someone who is say in a wheelchair, but yet fat people seem fair game? Its not right.

Just on that, I've never been on a flight where someone in a wheelchair was also on it.... what happens in that situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I had the pleasure of sitting beside an American of the same stature on a four or five hour flight. Pure torture between the heat, smell and the general agony I knew the fella was going through as he was wedged in and spilling over beside the window.

Never again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Seriously though and when all is said and done, if your plane was about to crash in the Andes you'd be hoping there were a few more like him on board. You'd be licking your lips at the sight of him TBH.
    "Fuk fixing the radio lads, we have supplies here to get us through till summer, now someone get me some string and i can start making candles while i'm at it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Astrogeek

Just on that, I've never been on a flight where someone in a wheelchair was also on it.... what happens in that situation?

Most airports have people there to help them, they let them board the plane first and they store the chair somewhere. Nice friendly service from any time I have seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

He’s not just fat he looks to be about 7 foot tall as well. No way was he ever going to fit comfortably in one economy class seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

The way I see it, it's like this: If they're going to start being totally insensitive and discriminate against people with obseity then they also have to treat alcoholics, drug users, pregnant women, people with small children, people with a mental or physical disability, people with medical conditions etc etc. the same- most of these are unpleasant to sit next to and some are a danger in an emergency but it's just not "PC" to say so, it's very easy to look down on people who are obese, it actually seems to be socially acceptable judging by the posts here but it's actually not okay to. These are people with feelings and I feel so sorry for the guy in the photo, he must be absolutely mortified!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

The way I see it, it's like this: If they're going to start being totally insensitive and discriminate against people with obseity then they also have to treat alcoholics, drug users, pregnant women, people with small children, people with a mental or physical disability, people with medical conditions etc etc. the same- most of these are unpleasant to sit next to and some are a danger in an emergency but it's just not "PC" to say so, it's very easy to look down on people who are obese, it actually seems to be socially acceptable judging by the posts here but it's actually not okay to. These are people with feelings and I feel so sorry for the guy in the photo, he must be absolutely mortified!
    Eh the only people in that list i'd think twice about sitting next to are Drunks and the small children, Because a person with a mental disability will more than likely have one or two carers with them and it will be made known to the other passengers if said person is ok or not ok with strangers being sat next to them, People with a physical disabilty may be perfectly capable of sitting quite comfortably in an aeroplane seat (Apart from fat F***ers), A drug user is hardly going to shoot up right next to you mid-flight, A pregnant woman is no trouble at all, worst i can think of is she may get a touch of morning sickness, sickbags are provided on planes y'know....

Small kids are a pain on buses, trains, in cinemas etc... And alcoholics will most likely get drunk, shout for a bit and then fall asleep..

Eh, they already do. It is illegal for anyone with mobility issues to sit at an exit or in a position where they block other peoples access. He is hampering access up and down the aisle so tough sh!t to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

cant find a small clip but its at 3:10

Astrogeek wrote: »
    Most airports have people there to help them, they let them board the plane first and they store the chair somewhere. Nice friendly service from any time I have seen them.

Usually, but i saw a disabled chap being left to sit on the ground on the runway until everyone else had boarded while his parents had to explain to some prick with a priority boarding pass why they wanted to sit in seats together and then his dad had to put the lad over his shoulder and carry him on board himself, so a big well done to Ryanair on 2 counts there, the pack of cunts:rolleyes:

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Eh, they already do. It is illegal for anyone with mobility issues to sit at an exit or in a position where they block other peoples access. He is hampering access up and down the aisle so tough sh!t to him.
    It's not his fault he's sitting on an aisle seat - whoever checked him in should have had more cop on and put him up front.

Red Storm wrote: »
    Eh the only people in that list i'd think twice about sitting next to are Drunks and the small children, Because a person with a mental disability will more than likely have one or two carers with them and it will be made known to the other passengers if said person is ok or not ok with strangers being sat next to them, People with a physical disabilty may be perfectly capable of sitting quite comfortably in an aeroplane seat (Apart from fat F***ers), A drug user is hardly going to shoot up right next to you mid-flight, A pregnant woman is no trouble at all, worst i can think of is she may get a touch of morning sickness, sickbags are provided on planes y'know....

Small kids are a pain on buses, trains, in cinemas etc... And alcoholics will most likely get drunk, shout for a bit and then fall asleep..

Eh, a pregnant lady would have mobility issues, aswell as the alcoholic and drug user (those last two can easily drop into a deep alcohol/drug sleep and not wake up to plane on fire and there's plenty of cases of drug users popping a few pills - as not all drug users are the stereotype and housewives can happily be pill poppers), mentally disabled people aren't always with a carer- I know of at least three who don't travel with a carer and one travels with his elderly physically disabled mother (she doesn't get the special seat as she doesn't need a wheelchair she just walks painfully slow) all those four would seriously hinder a fast exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Was after boarding an AL flight one day and they had to ask this obese American couple to swap seats cos they were seating by the emergency exit.

The air hostess announced that they needed volunteers to swap seats with a "handicapped couple".

The couple weren't bothered in the slightest.

I was mortified for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Was after boarding an AL flight one day and they had to ask this obese American couple to swap seats cos they were seating by the emergency exit.

The air hostess announced that they needed volunteers to swap seats with a "handicapped couple".

The couple weren't bothered in the slightest.

I was mortified for them.

In fairness, being THAT fat is more of a handicap than an advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

It's not his fault he's sitting on an aisle seat - whoever checked him in should have had more cop on and put him up front.

'only place he can fit though? Most likely the check-in staff identified the fact that sitting him on the middle/inside wasn't a good idea, and him spilling over into the aisle, rather than onto a person was a lesser evil?

Advertisement