Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who cant fit into seats on a plane

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

xzanti wrote: »
    Ah Mary Harney, is there ANY thread she doesn't make an appearance in?

The anorexia ones?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Biggins wrote: »
    The anorexia ones?

She obviously beat that one..

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Her flab took over the arm rest and I was also touching her flab by being there. I couldn't use the remote for the tv as her flab was covering it but at least it was also touch screen.
    Just broke my ass laughing at that..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Just broke my ass laughing at that..

Your not fat then I take it.
    Otherwise you might have had a soft landing! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Biggins wrote: »
    The anorexia ones?
    Unless she's on the anorexic diet. That's the one where she only eats anorexic children.

• Advertisement

Kipperhell wrote: »
    What I laughed out loud at was when she took out a I-pod mini! Her chubby little fingers having major difficulty with it

She obviously forgot her dialling wand.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,325 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

There should be a weight restriction for passengers.

A kilo over and you're on the boat fatty.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    There should be a weight restriction for passengers.

A kilo over and you're on the boat fatty.
    :pac:

15640851.jpg
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I think the story behind that pic is the fatty was pretending to be a normal person, in order to get a cheaper seat. The Airhostess took the picture in order to broach the subject with managment, here's the link:
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/photo-of-obese-air-passenger-in-economy-seat-sparks-debate-1960012.html
    An image of an obese passenger squeezed into an economy airline seat has reopened a debate about how airlines deal with growing numbers of oversized passengers.

The picture, posted on an aviation blog, was reportedly taken by a flight attendant to illustrate to airline managers the difficulty of dealing with passengers who cannot fit into seats.

It is unclear if the man was aware his picture was being taken or whether the flight, on US carrier American Airlines, took off with the passenger spilling out of his seat.

Airlines already offer extended seatbelts to larger passengers to comply with safety rules but a number of carriers now insist obese customers buy an extra seat.

US domestic no-frills airline Southwest has a “customer of size” policy that insists passengers who cannot lower both armrests buy a second ticket which is reimbursed if the flight is not full.

American Airlines does not have such a requirement but urges passengers to “recognise ahead of time that they may need to purchase two seats”.

The image, apparently taken on a Boeing 757, was sent to writer Kieran Daly and posted on his blog at aviation news website, Flightglobal.

It is not clear if the image has been altered but Mr Daly wrote: “This is sent to me with the absolute assurance that it's a genuine picture taken by a flight attendant at American Airlines. The F/A took it to show her manager what was happening on the aircraft (757???) and why she was unhappy about it. Seems the guy paid for only one seat and the gate staff let him board.”

Comments below the blog entry illustrate the debate over how to deal sensitively with obese passengers while ensuring others have enough room.

In a statement, American Airlines said: "At this time American Airlines is unable to confirm whether or not the image referred to was taken by a member of flight crew but will investigate the situation internally to determine if any of the airline's strict policies were not correctly applied.

"American Airlines’ primary concern is for the safety and comfort of its passengers and crews and consequently passengers are advised to book two seats if they are concerned that they will require them. If a flight is not full, however, passengers' needs would be accommodated without charge wherever possible."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Sounds like a good plot for a movie blockbuster... "Fats on a Plane!" starring Samuel L Jackson and Michael Moore.

Seems this fella has been making the rounds of airlines..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1230832/Hong-Kong-flight-toilet-Cathay-Pacific-plane-forced-make-early-landing-toilets-break.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

I was once told by a flight attendant that if you can't get both armrests down, the you either get another seat or get off. The technical reason was that the seat belt restricts you from flying forwards and upwards and the armrests from side to side. Without the armrests a sideways load in a crash could cause the seatbelt to rip away from the seat.

Given the rules in the US are pretty much the same as in the EU, I'm surprised they let that guy fly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Funny how they bust you for having an extra kilo in luggage, but then someone any size could get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Should make him pay for an extra seat. Obeisty in people above the age of 20 is a "disease" I have no sympathy for and it's unfair to have to go through a flight uncomfortable because some fat bastard is taking up all of his seat and a third of yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

A lot of fat prejudice in this thread. Its not their fault and they shouldn't be mocked for it.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Funny how they bust you for having an extra kilo in luggage, but then someone any size could get on
    I wonder which would be more expensive on a Ryanair flight, more baggage or an extra seat? If you were to do that thing where you wear all your cloths and they made you buy an extra seat because they thought you where fat would it work out cheaper than paying to bring a extra few kilos of baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

j1smithy wrote: »
    A lot of fat prejudice in this thread. Its not their fault and they shouldn't be mocked for it.
    Yes, they were forced to eat all the cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

You're taking the piss right?

Suppose it's not their fault they ate all that food, exercised so little, I suppose it's in their genes right?

RMD wrote: »

Suppose it's not their fault they ate all that food, exercised so little, I suppose it's in their genes right?
    No but if RTEs schedule wasn't so unmissable maybe she'd have the time to get some exercise in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

You buy space/weight on a plane.

He's using twice as much as everyone else.

Logic should win out.

RMD wrote: »

Yes it could be genetic. Who are we to judge without knowing peoples personal circumstances. Yes he might be simply be eating too much food, but thats a rather simplistic view. There could be any number of things wrong with him, both physically and/or mentally that has made him so big.

Obese people have feelings too, it isn't fair the way society treats them.

• Advertisement

You're kidding, right?

You mean because someone was sneaking muffins into their mouth in their sleep, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think the story behind that pic is the fatty was pretending to be a normal person, in order to get a cheaper seat. The Airhostess took the picture in order to broach the subject with managment, here's the link:
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/photo-of-obese-air-passenger-in-economy-seat-sparks-debate-1960012.html

Oh those devious fatties. What mischief will they get up to next?

consultech wrote: »
    You're kidding, right?

You mean because someone was sneaking muffins into their mouth in their sleep, right?

See post #51

Why is it alright to poke fun at a fat person? No sensible person would dare to do it to someone who is say in a wheelchair, but yet fat people seem fair game? Its not right.

See post #51

Why is it alright to poke fun at a fat person? No sensible person would dare to do it to someone who is say in a wheelchair, but yet fat people seem fair game? Its not right.

Last time I checked; The majority of wheelchair-bound individuals didn't voluntarily choose their affliction, all the while inflicting it on everyone else.

consultech wrote: »
    Last time I checked; The majority of wheelchair-bound individuals didn't voluntarily choose their affliction, all the while inflicting it on everyone else.

I doubt very many fat people chose to be fat either

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You can't exercise away an amputation though

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

wrong,they choose to eat more,they choose to exercise less or not at all. my bil was 34 stone. he is now 10 stone. (less than me :mad:) he got off his fat behind and went to ww and lost it all.

they choose it. end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

They should have to get two tickets. For the twins.

What? You're clearly either:

a) Taking the piss
    b) Deluded
    b) Biased due to being morbidly obese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Ah Mary Harney, is there ANY thread she doesn't make an appearance in?

Maybe the Lego one? Hmmm

Yep. There isn't enough Lego in the world

Advertisement