Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Date-rape drink spiking 'an urban legend'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Even the whole "oh I usually drink way more" thing doesn't hold much weight with me. I'd quite regularly have a coupla bottles of vodka in a session and get nowhere near blackout-drunk but other times at home, parties or in the pub I could have 4-5 drinks and be absolutely wasted. A mate would have the same as me during a big session but a few weeks ago had 5 pints and then as he started on a bit of whiskey his whole night is a blackout. People seem to forget how powerful alcohol is and that it won't affect you the same way every time.

Anyway, haven't there been studies done over and over showing no evidence of Rohypnol or GHB being used to date-rape?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

schween wrote: »
    I doubt it's an urban legend. I'm sure it happens.
    Just maybe very exaggerated. I'm always stealing peoples drinks and I've never been date raped once.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

I doubt it's urban legend, I believe it happens, but I'd agree it's unlikely to be anyway widespread either, in Ireland anyway. And of course it can be a handy excuse for the ninny-ish excessive drinker.

However, can the posters citing 'a study I remember from x years ago/numerous articles/studies done over and over' either be a bit more concrete about what they're referring to or else leave out the vague references?

Pretty please. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nodin wrote: »
    O it happens, just not as regularily as you might be led to think.

You sound very sure of that.

Perhaps we'll find a direct correlation between nights Nodin goes out and genuine cases of drinks being spiked eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My OH's sister had 2 glasses of wine in their local and can't remember any of the night (we know she had 2 glasses as she was sharing a bottle with her mates). She worked in a hospital so was able to get bloodwork done the following day. Turns out she'd ingested Ketamine; a very powerful tranquiliser. A member of the bar staff (newly hired) was fired about a week later after it happened to another girl. (we reckon he must have been smearing something inside the wine glasses, that's why only she was affected in her group.

It is rare, and I wish girls would cop on and admit how much they drank,but it does happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Terry wrote: »
    I'm roughly the same size as you.
    I've had my drink spiked once too.
    House party and I lost about four hours.
    It's not a nice experience.

Why, did you have a dose of the squits and a sore ass the next day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

A lot of cases are girls drinking too much and not admitting it but unfortunatley it does happen. Its a sad state of affairs when people will actually come on an internet forum and make jokes about rape, a lot on here thinks its such a f^kn funny subject.

People do get their drinks spiked and the people who seriously think they were spiked do go and get blood tests, unfortunatley for some thats the least of their worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A lot of cases are girls drinking too much and not admitting it but unfortunatley it does happen. Its a sad state of affairs when people will actually come on an internet forum and make jokes about rape, a lot on here thinks its such a f^kn funny subject.

People do get their drinks spiked and the people who seriously think they were spiked do go and get blood tests, unfortunatley for some thats the least of their worries.

I'm sure a lot of people do put their own excess down to spiking but that doesnt mean that spiking doesnt go on

On a night out with some friends one night I noticed a lad messing with drinks at the bar and alerted security..turned out he had some pills he was slipping into everyone's drink. He claimed he wasnt out rape anyone but was just doing it for the laugh. Of course its so freaking hilarious isnt it?

I was the designated driver that night, just as well he didnt get to make his way down my end of the bar otherwise god knows what could have happened after I got behind the wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

amacachi wrote: »
    Anyway, haven't there been studies done over and over showing no evidence of Rohypnol or GHB being used to date-rape?
    Rohypnol turns drinks blue. Anyone who claims they've been spiked with it is bull****ting.

In the few cases that do happen, I think the motive is often schadenfreudian rather than sexual. My mates have spiked me with pills before, much to my delight.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Rohypnol turns drinks blue. Anyone who claims they've been spiked with it is bull****ting.

Is that true? It turns any drink blue? First I've heard of it

Even if it is the case though thats not worth much in a dark pub or nightclub when you're drinking out of a bottle now is it.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

eviltwin wrote: »

Even if it is the case though thats not worth much in a dark pub or nightclub when you're drinking out of a bottle now is it.....

I wouldnt even bother arguing it eviltwin, until a few of the people here that think rape is funny end up accompanying somebody for a night at a sexual assault treatment unit they wont come away from their "all women drink too much" train of thought. Also people that work in sexual assault centres could tell you a lot more statistics about blood tests etc and would be a lot more relaible .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

krudler wrote: »
    Happened my girlfriend, dropped her off at pub and got a frantic phonecall less than an hour later because she didnt know where she was, went and got her, and she was a mess, couldnt keep her eyes open, was rambling and kept falling asleep in the car, her friends rang me later asking where she went as she hadnt said anything to them just went off and rang me when she started to panic, I told them I picked her up and what happened and they said a guy was standing near their table asking them creepy questions before it happened, so it does happen but not as often as people think, one of her friends tried to convince us she was spiked one night at a house party we threw, she must have had about 15 shots of jagermeister throughout the night so it was just her being drunk

Did you take her to the hospital to confirm? Just wondering? If any "mate" spiked me or anyone belonging to me for a laugh they would getting a visit from Mr Beatdown when they least expect it.

Pub/club lighting also turns gin and tonic blue. An opaque drink, like one with cola in it would not necessarily show up the blue colour that has been added to Rohypnol specifically because of its association with date rape.

Rohypnol is very, very hard to get your hands on however. But other tranquilliser type things are not.

Some friends you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

azezil wrote: »
    Why, did you have a dose of the squits and a sore ass the next day?
    That happens every day ending in y.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Terry wrote: »
    That happens every day ending in y.

Ooooh you saucy minx ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I thought Rohypnol was very difficult to detect anyway in drinks and in your system...it disappears pretty quickly. I heard unless you literally get to hospital pretty soon after it's in your system they won't be able to detect it??

Plus I might have missed it but nobody seems to have brought up another use of date-rape drugs.....
    More and more men are drugging other men with either shots of drink/drugs etc with the purpose of robbing them at the end of the night! That sure as hell happens alot more than all the rapes.
    Men do bring bucket loads of money out with them for a good nights session!!

It does indeed, Google it - though admittedly, the articles do say that it doesn't show up clearly in dark-coloured drinks. In any case, Rohypnol is extremely rare in Ireland.
    I wouldnt even bother arguing it eviltwin, until a few of the people here that think rape is funny end up accompanying somebody for a night at a sexual assault treatment unit they wont come away from their "all women drink too much" train of thought. Also people that work in sexual assault centres could tell you a lot more statistics about blood tests etc and would be a lot more relaible .
    Where did state I or even imply rape is funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

On a side note, it is shocking how many females do indeed accept drink from males/females they do not know.
    I stick to buying my own!

I'm sure that everyone who jokes about rape really thinks that people getting raped is funny. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It does indeed, Google it - though admittedly, the articles do say that it doesn't show up clearly in dark-coloured drinks. In any case, Rohypnol is extremely rare in Ireland.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/date-rape-drug-stolen-from-industrial-estate-410474.html

83000 tablets were stolen in Ireland a few months ago.

• Advertisement

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I thought Rohypnol was very difficult to detect anyway in drinks and in your system...it disappears pretty quickly. I heard unless you literally get to hospital pretty soon after it's in your system they won't be able to detect it??
    Just another way to claim that it happened when it didn't, it can be detected up to 72 hours after ingestion.

I stand corrected, thanks. It is mainly if not entirely used as a recreational drug, though, it being a benzo and all.

And they'll have all be consumed it dark-ish rooms with flashing/blinking lights by now.

You seemed to be implying that women who claim to be raped after having a drink being spiked are liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Just because a joke is made about something does not mean that subject in reality is funny.

I have made plenty of rediculously offensive jokes about very serious unfunny subjects. If something is said as a joke, then it should be taken as a joke. And if you don't believe that then I think the entire AH's forum will really annoy you.

Anyway, back on point, I have heard people insist they must have been spiked. People who meet up at 8 O'Clock on a saturday, drink about 9 bottles of wicked/breezer/smornoff ice in fat frog format. Then proceed to a pub to drink maybe vodka/red bull then to a club to drink more vodka and every shot offered, I would say in that scenario a date rape drug would barely be noticed, between the puking/crying/p1ssing in the streets that's going on.

amacachi wrote: »
    Just another way to claim that it happened when it didn't, it can be detected up to 72 hours after ingestion.

72 hours max. It can be as little as 12 hours. And it's still difficult to detect full stop. GBH is difficult to detect beyond 8 hours.

Anyway 72 hours is nothing. If you ingested Rohypnol inadvertently on a Friday night, say, you are dazed, confused, passed out for 12-24 hours afterwards. Then it takes time to dawn on you what might have happened, another 12 hours or so, possibly. Then as you've now recovered A&E is not an option, so you may not have access to a doctor until Monday morning. If you're working you won't be able to see one til lunchtime, evening - see what I'm saying, just as an example?

IMO someone would be more likely to claim it didn't happen when it did that the other way round. (Ninnies with drinking issues aside) Shame, denial, shock. Especially a guy - what guy would own up to that experience with the limited resources on hand to help him?

You seemed to be implying that women who claim to be raped after having a drink being spiked are liars.
    No, people who specifically claim they've been spiked with Rohypnol are probably liars, or at least misled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

When put in a light-colored drink, new Rohypnol will now turn the beverage bright blue. Consumers of darker-coloured beverages should be tipped off by a cloudy appearance. The drug will also dissolve more slowly and form small chunky pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

In any case, Rohypnol is extremely rare in Ireland.

Ireland is flooded with that particular drug, and many others besides. I could walk out my door right now and buy any amount of 'Robies' I wanted, and I haven’t bought drugs for over ten years.

• Advertisement

seahorse wrote: »
    Ireland is flooded with that particular drug, and many others besides. I could walk out my door right now and buy any amount of 'Robies' I wanted, and I haven’t bought drugs for over ten years.
    Aye, I admitted I was wrong on that count a few posts up.

Advertisement