Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History 2010

• 14-10-2009 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

Ok so I don't think this thread is anywhere... I'm new to this so if it it just point me in the direction:)

Basically I'm wondering...
    what are peoples predictions for the history exam in 2010?
    I love history... but the course is very very overwhelming!
    And also, what way are people approaching it? Learning essays... learning case studies... learning key personalities????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

cweeva wrote: »
    Ok so I don't think this thread is anywhere... I'm new to this so if it it just point me in the direction:)

Basically I'm wondering...
    what are peoples predictions for the history exam in 2010?
    I love history... but the course is very very overwhelming!
    And also, what way are people approaching it? Learning essays... learning case studies... learning key personalities????
    It's early enough to learn everything;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Apparently History is quite hard to predict(so my teacher says). Practice doing document questions, thats where you will pick up easy marks. Of course if you are doing ordinary level you should learn key personalities(like when they were born etc) And if you are doing higher you will have to answer questions like "Examine the growth of fascism in a European country" where the person(Hitler etc) will only be a part of your answer. But I don't really know what I am talking about so I wuld ask your teacher or get one of those less stress books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

My teacher was saying to study musslolini as he hasnt popped up yet/in a while so he's bound to show up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Yeah Mussolini is quite easy too. He gets a much worse rep than he deserves imho

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

DO NOT try to predict History, they'll throw you a total curveball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

Doin history also, im just making sure i know case studies inside out. plannin on havin near top marks for project and document and maybe gettin a high B or even A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

Aiming for an A aswell,
    I'm just learning the case studies for the Northern Ireland section seeind as that's what our documents question is based on, think thatll be ok?
    Doing Dictatorship and Democracy, the United States as well, we havn't full decided on our second Irish topic yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Knowing the case studies is a good plan, as generally essays involving them do come up.

Just be sure to have quite a broad knowledge of your topics because learning things under specific essay titles is pretty risky.

• cweeva wrote: »
    Aiming for an A aswell,
    I'm just learning the case studies for the Northern Ireland section seeind as that's what our documents question is based on, think thatll be ok?
    Doing Dictatorship and Democracy, the United States as well, we havn't full decided on our second Irish topic yet...

But...the topic that the documents question is from doesn't come up as an essay question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Haha get this, our teacher wants us to learn the whole syllabus not just two topics from Europe and the Wider world and two from Ireland.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

But...the topic that the documents question is from doesn't come up as an essay question.

yeah, which is why i'm only doin the case studies on that section and not the broader general stuff!
    Mary007 wrote: »
    Haha get this, our teacher wants us to learn the whole syllabus not just two topics from Europe and the Wider world and two from Ireland.

what? that's crazy!! how will you manage that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Don't try to predict history, none of the predictions came up last year! I just about got through it... It's a bit of the joke, the course is massive, impossible to learn everything, so you need a degree of luck as well... Most nervous I ever was goin into an exam!

• I stacked up the four books I have for each topic I'm doing for the first time today.

I nearly cried to see how large that pile was. There's so much! And my teacher's pretty slow at getting through the course, so I assumed it wasn't really necessary to know everything. But then I looked over the papers and the essay titles are so specific that you really can't just study a few areas....

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

do anyone think the Gaa will come up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 amxxs

For myself how I'm studying for it is by looking at the past papers and focusing on the essay questions. Each year the same ones come up over and over again like for European History Dictatorship and Democracy a question that keeps repeating itself is Church State Relations (Germany and or Italy) and I'm learning off about three for each Topic we're doing its fairly easy included in that as well is certain key personalities.

What are people thinking of the project?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

My teacher is really confident that The Sunningdale Agreement is going to come up as the document for HL, and I'll probably focus on that and have a general knowledge on the others.
    We're in the middle of Dicatorship & Democracy atm, and he only briefly went through Mussolini cause he thinks Stalin & Lenin are more likely to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cli2931

No we were told Mussolini is really likely to come up as he hasn't yet. Still know the rest though I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭NightOwl91

Anyone think Technology of warfare will come up again?
    What are peoples predictions for Irish Essays eg Irish civil war etc...
    Anyone reckon Irish neutrality during ww2 will come up?
    :eek:

NightOwl91 wrote: »
    For the Irish essays know the factors that contributed to Sinn Fein's success in the 1918 election.

laura93 wrote: »
    My teacher is really confident that The Sunningdale Agreement is going to come up as the document for HL, and I'll probably focus on that and have a general knowledge on the others.
    We're in the middle of Dicatorship & Democracy atm, and he only briefly went through Mussolini cause he thinks Stalin & Lenin are more likely to come up.
    Why is she confident about Sunningdale? It has a 33% chance of coming up:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

theowen wrote: »
    Why is she confident about Sunningdale? It has a 33% chance of coming up:rolleyes:

He thinks it more of higher level document than the other two or something. Whenever we discuss the exam in class he's like "Study Sunningdale and make sure you know it inside out!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

jesus someone born in 93 is doing lc:eek:

im pretty ancient doing lc, will be 20 in feb. very old due to a few factors(being sick a bit when i was in primary school)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭NightOwl91

How confident are they about sunningdale?
    TBH, i cant stand Coleraine lol its soooooo boring and id give anything to not do an essay in the leaving cert on it lol:p

jesus someone born in 93 is doing lc:eek:

im pretty ancient doing lc, will be 20 in feb. very old due to a few factors(being sick a bit when i was in primary school)

lol
    The majority of my year will only be 17 doing the lc, apart from the people who did ty :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

They could hardly have picked a more boring section for the documents, could they?
    @OP: There's no way of predicting what will come as a very similar question may come as the year before but requires a very different answer, eg:
    What were the causes and effects of German industrialization in the period 1871-1914?
    as opposed to: Do you think Germany's industrial growth in the period 1871-1914 was a vital element in the shaping of the European system of alliances in the years preceding WWI?

Both questions have the same central theme but have completely focuses.

Is it just me or are the Irish topics a lot harder (and more boring) than the European ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

NightOwl91 wrote: »

I'd be careful about the technology of warfare. I had it prepared inside out last year. It was defo my best answer. I did it in conjunction with wartime alliances ( an area also prepared very well). I only got 74 in it:eek: It deserved a far better result than that mediocre (correct spelling?:confused:) result. What my history teacher told me is that the marker might have himself been ignorant of this issue as many teachers find it boring and just fly through it. I suppose things balanced themselves out though as I got 93 in the DeValera question which I felt I had done only ok on.

Regarding your q as to whether it will come up again, I think it most probably will as awkward-looking questions have a habit of repeating themselves in history. Also if this question yielded poor results ( which it probably did ) I would say it stands an extremely good chance of coming up next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Interzone wrote: »
    Is it just me or are the Irish topics a lot harder (and more boring) than the European ones?
    I thought that at first but by the begining of the LC I grew to love the Irish options as they were alot easier to revise ( Jaysus I can remember some of the mouthfuls from Dic and Dem- Tuchachevsky,Zinoniev,Yagoda . . . Hitler :confused:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

laura93 wrote: »
    lol
    The majority of my year will only be 17 doing the lc, apart from the people who did ty :P

I was 16 doing the LC last year myself. Everyone was like "you're so young..don't do it!"
    But I ended up repeating anyway so I'll still be 17 doing the leaving. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Mussolini gets a much worse rep than he deserves imho

eh... are you sure you actually do history?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Our history teacher told us not to bother trying to predict. Nobody knows what will come up no matter what people tell you.

We've done plenty of essays over the last year and a half so I'm just going to use them for revision. Aiming for an 'A' in the LC.

Advertisement