Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

justsayit wrote: »
    Eucharistic Congress is definitely very hotly tipped to come up.

You really think so? It's been on in some shape or form every year so far, they'll have to stop doing that at some point...
    I really think Belfast in WW2 or something to that effect will come up. It's a case study and has only come up once before! And my favourite essay so I hope it does come up :o

I love the American section... I wish all history could be 20th Century American history...

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

My plan to tackle this exam is to learn off answers for the long Q on the document.

Then for D&D im doing Stalin, Jarrow marches, Hitlers foreign poilicy.

For ireland reform up to 1914- 1913 lockout, education, redmond and maybe Gaa.

This is were it gets messy my teacher says were just to go over cold war and hungarian uprising in that particular topic(cant remember the name)
    and if that topic doesnt work out, we're to do bismarck, willam the 2nd and causes of WW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭*Miss Ní C*

So, basically I had a great plan of ALL that I was going to study and, as per usual, I haven't done a damn thing!
    I'm fine for the Document Q and the American but screwed for Sov+Partition and D+D.
    Dya reckon I'd get away with studying Hitler, Mussolini and Britain for D+D?
    I'm completely clueless about S+P, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭eoindrummer

Bullet Points, Bullet Points, Bullet Points. I know it may seem like a lot, but take everything you can down in summarised Bullet Points. Worked for me in the mocks, got an A1 in Higher History from a week of taking everything down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

So, basically I had a great plan of ALL that I was going to study and, as per usual, I haven't done a damn thing!
    I'm fine for the Document Q and the American but screwed for Sov+Partition and D+D.
    Dya reckon I'd get away with studying Hitler, Mussolini and Britain for D+D?
    I'm completely clueless about S+P, any ideas?

- Sinn Feins rise 16-18
    - Cumann na nGaedhael
    - Anglo-Irish Relations
    - Consolidating Democracy

If you know those, I'd put my life on you being all set. I'm going for an A1 ( have got 89 in the last 3 exams ) and haven't known much more than that on Sovereighty and Partition.

Your also partially covered for an Easter Rising Question, if its the results of it anyway.

Dictatorship and Democracy.

-The war( really easy and should be your best grade if it comes up and you know it )
    - Show Trials/Purges ( looks difficult to learn but actually not )
    - Hitler and propoganda, know a little of his rise, appeasement etc.
    - Economy in Russia

In this section, I hate Mussolini so I stay well clear.

Division and Re-alignment ( know this doesn't apply to you, but for others in doubt doing this )

- Cold War ( Hungarian Uprising, main crises, sovietisation )
    - Evolution of the EEC
    - Maybe Soviet Economy, if pushed for time then don't

• Advertisement

thank you!
    Yeah, I'm aiming high too, I got a B1 in the mock so I hope to either keep or improve that! I get As in class tests but my teacher said it was nigh on impossible to get an A in the real thing?

thank you!
    Yeah, I'm aiming high too, I got a B1 in the mock so I hope to either keep or improve that! I get As in class tests but my teacher said it was nigh on impossible to get an A in the real thing?

So not true. There's an 11% A rate in HL history, so obviously not impossible :P

I always thought I was good at history and assumed I'd get an A1 until this week. I am so unprepared. It really is the scariest exam. I won't be surprised if I don't even get a B1. Stupid massive course!

zam wrote: »
    So not true. There's an 11% A rate in HL history, so obviously not impossible :P

I always thought I was good at history and assumed I'd get an A1 until this week. I am so unprepared. It really is the scariest exam. I won't be surprised if I don't even get a B1. Stupid massive course!

I'm the same, I took History thinking it'd be like history for JC (laughably easy).
    I was so wrong! I still love the subject, it's just that I'm so unsure of what I should be studying and then the panic sets in. I just want the exam to be over. Oh, and for everything I want to appear on the paper to appear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

[/QUOTE]Dictatorship and Democracy.

-The war( really easy and should be your best grade if it comes up and you know it )
    - Economy in Russia

Division and Re-alignment ( know this doesn't apply to you, but for others in doubt doing this )

- Evolution of the EEC
    - Maybe Soviet Economy, if pushed for time then don't[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for that! Really helpful because I'm so unbelievably scared for this subject. So much more than any of my others I just don't know what it is. I guess its because the course is just so huge so you have to be selective but in my other subjects I just learn the entire course and feel secure but not the same for this.

Dictatorship
    My new revision list would be this, was being a bit over ambitious before:

• Britain between the wars and Jarrow
    • Mussolini, his rise, church and state, economy
    • Stalin's purges and show trials
    • Nazi propaganda and Nuremberg rallies
    • Nazi church state relations and holocaust

Division and Realignment
    • Cold War and Hungary
    • Monet and evolution of EEC
    • The different soviet leaders as in comparative thing Stalin, Khruschev, Brezhnev Gorbachev
    • The oil crisis
    • Vatican II and changing society type answer

Does this sound ok or am I cutting too much out there? Thanks if someone can help!

Anyone? :confused:

• Advertisement

Victoria. wrote: »
    Dictatorship and Democracy.

- Economy in Russia

- Evolution of the EEC
    - Maybe Soviet Economy, if pushed for time then don't[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for that! Really helpful because I'm so unbelievably scared for this subject. So much more than any of my others I just don't know what it is. I guess its because the course is just so huge so you have to be selective but in my other subjects I just learn the entire course and feel secure but not the same for this.

Dictatorship
    My new revision list would be this, was being a bit over ambitious before:

• Britain between the wars and Jarrow
    • Mussolini, his rise, church and state, economy
    • Stalin's purges and show trials
    • Nazi propaganda and Nuremberg rallies
    • Nazi church state relations and holocaust

Division and Realignment
    • Cold War and Hungary
    • Monet and evolution of EEC
    • The different soviet leaders as in comparative thing Stalin, Khruschev, Brezhnev Gorbachev
    • The oil crisis
    • Vatican II and changing society type answer

Does this sound ok or am I cutting too much out there? Thanks if someone can help![/QUOTE]

Sounds fine! I don't do D&R but for D&D you'll be covered. You have all 3 case studies so there'll be no problems of there being no questions to answer. You've covered quite a lot as well!

zam wrote: »

Sounds fine! I don't do D&R but for D&D you'll be covered. You have all 3 case studies so there'll be no problems of there being no questions to answer. You've covered quite a lot as well!

Thanks it's without a doubt the exam that I'm really dreading.
    Just scared that I'll flip the page to see questions I can't answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 LNags

http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/The_Treaty_Negotiations_October-December_1921

ok guys...ucc website...really good for essays and summaries to help u out, meiner meinungnach!! :P:D

for sov&par, im gonna do the treaty neg. the belfast blitz and eucharistic congress..i did a cosgrave essay too for the pres and it was good however im havin trouble making it short enough to write in fourty minutes!! have a look around the website for essays on the topics..really they're good summaries for like reading in bed the night before the exam!!!

for dic and democracy ill prob do as much as possible..iv general ideas about all the essays but nothni in specific detail with loads of quotes....however would LOVE lenin to come up!!

im not doing america, our class is doing div& realignment!! for this im doing gorbachev, cold war, hungarian uprising, vatican 2 and like women, marriage, family..just in case that comes up with the church!!

ALSO!!! GUYS IM REAALY CONFUSED....do we get the extra 20 minutes or what?? have any of ye heard of this? its on the official timetable!!

http://www.allhonours.ie/leaving-certificate-timetable-2010/

see point two on the left hand side...does that mean we get 3.10 instead of 2.50???? my teacher didnt know and another teacher said she thinks its only for like people who have scribes......?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I need help guys... I need answers for the USA book. I have only the broader for civil rights movement done but I need an essay on why and how did Johnson/america go into Vietnam and how did je/they withdraw.

Also I need one on the moonlanding + space technology advancements etc...

If anyone has either of these two would be lovely... I need help.

Also anyone think something to do with American foreign policy will come up? The mc carthyism stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

LNags wrote: »

ALSO!!! GUYS IM REAALY CONFUSED....do we get the extra 20 minutes or what?? have any of ye heard of this? its on the official timetable!!

see point two on the left hand side...does that mean we get 3.10 instead of 2.50???? my teacher didnt know and another teacher said she thinks its only for like people who have scribes......?

Nope, that extra 20 minutes was brought in a few years ago i think, we get 2.50!

so for D&D i have Mussolini, (no church state realations though) german - Hitlers rise, domestic and foreign, Stalin and Show Triails, Britain and Jarrow, Popculture in the US and Britain, maybe anti semitism, propaganda and nuremburg rallies, rise of fascism.
    Left out france, world war 2, Lenin completely here..

America I'm really just focusing on the case studies and their context.. Moon Landings IT and Military Technology, Foreign Policy 1945-1968, 1968-1989, Vietnam, successes and failures of LBJ. Civil Rights Movement, Martin Luther King, Montgomery.

and Irish Social and political reform up to 1914 : Land Issue, Home Rule under Butt, Parnell and Redmond (focusing mainly on Redmond though) the women's movement, constructive unionism, the cultural revival, the 1885 and 1886 elections.

Does it sound ok?? I'm most worried about America:rolleyes:

LNags wrote: »

ok guys...ucc website...really good for essays and summaries to help u out, meiner meinungnach!! :P:D

for sov&par, im gonna do the treaty neg. the belfast blitz and eucharistic congress..i did a cosgrave essay too for the pres and it was good however im havin trouble making it short enough to write in fourty minutes!! have a look around the website for essays on the topics..really they're good summaries for like reading in bed the night before the exam!!!

for dic and democracy ill prob do as much as possible..iv general ideas about all the essays but nothni in specific detail with loads of quotes....however would LOVE lenin to come up!!

im not doing america, our class is doing div& realignment!! for this im doing gorbachev, cold war, hungarian uprising, vatican 2 and like women, marriage, family..just in case that comes up with the church!!

Hey welcome to boards.ie!
    Thanks so much for that link. It looks fab such a pity I didn't have it in 5th year lol
    Yeh I'm freaking out for history, looks like you're doing most of the same topics as me. Fingers crossed for the two of us.
    I'm gonna concentrate on the case studies, Dictatorship and Democracy is definitely my weakest point though.

Not sure about the new times! Will be great for english and history!

Good luck with the study anyway!

ok so im not doing that topic but im desperately lookin for stuff online, my books are so terrible as are most essays i did!!

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/civil1.htm

another useful site i just found for some quick notes and reminders!!have a browse around..seeing as im not doing that topic it might not be very good and i wouldnt know!!

if anyone can help with my question i asked earlier id really appreciate it!!

^^ thank u!! i never saw ur reply :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

lads other dan the sunningdale wat is comin up on the document? also has any1 got any links which are gd becoz i dnt have that book. what are the most likely questions for sunningdale?

also for irish i know anglo-irish relations and cumann na ngael/ for early european i know bismark and for european later i know mussolini and stalin will i be a ok on the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

lads other dan the sunningdale wat is comin up on the document? also has any1 got any links which are gd becoz i dnt have that book. what are the most likely questions for sunningdale?

well it'll be either sunningdale, coleraine university or apprentice boys for the document!
    and for the sunningdale questions i have mine basically divided into two,
    >the formation of the executive
    >the causes of the failure of the executive!

• Advertisement

also for irish i know anglo-irish relations and cumann na ngael/ for early european i know bismark and for european later i know mussolini and stalin will i be a ok on the day?

Other than Sunningdale there is Apprentice Boys and Coleraine University Controversy. Whatever you do don't just study Sunningdale because yeh it appears to be the most important one but the other two could also appear. For the mocks the question was why did Sunningdale fail?

S&P: CnG and FF have been tipped.
    Some are saying Sinn Fein 1918
    Treaty

D&D: This is the one I'm most worried about out of my 3.
    Mussolini has been talked about
    If you're doing Stalin do the show trials because they're case study
    Try to get another case study done like Jarrow or Belfast

Don't have a clue about the other one sorry I don't do that book but the thing to do seems to be to cover as many case studies as you can with the background info in the chapter they're in and then do whatever else you have time left over for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 itsRayOk

first of all everybody needs to stop with all this "its defo sunningdale"...its not the case study is only up for two years so they pretty much close their eyes and pick...but im hoping coleraine,just a hope.

an people are saying eucharistic congress has come up every year so will eventually stop,well thats not exactly true as the curriculum says that the question will have (1 religous and/or culture) technology and two odas i cant remember..#

i will be studying
    .us foreign policy based on vietnam (never come up b4)
    Race relation

.britain during the interwar period linked with jarrow
    basics of fasicm and communism

.Cumann nG government 1923-1932 with aspects of finna fail
    eucharistic congress
    and if i get time sinn fein general election 1918

itsRayOk wrote: »

.britain during the interwar period linked with jarrow
    basics of fasicm and communism

Sorry about this but what do you mean by the basics of fascism and communism? Are you doing every fascist state and Russia too?

I'm trying to cut it down so was just going to do:
    1. Britain between the wars including Jarrow
    2. Nazi use of propaganda & Nuremberg rallies
    3. Mussolini rise to power and policies
    4. Church-state relations and the final solution

• Registered Users Posts: 11 itsRayOk

Sorry about this but what do you mean by the basics of fascism and communism? Are you doing every fascist state and Russia too?

well there has been alot of talk about mussolini coming up but i cant imagine him coming up on his own i would reccomend studying cult of personality and propaganda. i think he will come up in a more comparative type question eg,How Succesful were Stalin in russia and mussolini in italy in using The personality cult an instrument of propaganda.
    btw i think your choices to cut it down are spot on

I think I'm doing this too. I tried to learn Lenin and Stalin, I really did... But I just can't remember it... there's no point going against the brain :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    And Cumann ng. When theres an essay on "how did cumann ng est law and order" - do i list
    1.constitution
    2.Garda siochana
    3.Army mutiny ?

Is that all for law and order or...?
    Please help me :(

Thank u!

Here's an essay i did last year on it and got an A2 in

Here's pages 3 and 4

Hope they help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

Is this to little for D&D

All of russia - show trails, economy stalin, lenin, 5year plans etc
    Britain and interwars jarrow etc?

Mwah wrote: »
    Is this to little for D&D

All of russia - show trails, economy stalin, lenin, 5year plans etc
    Britain and interwars jarrow etc?

You'd want to at least know ALL the case studies fairly well also. Maybe do Mussolini too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Rothmans wrote: »
    You'd want to at least know ALL the case studies fairly well also. Maybe do Mussolini too
    Nice handwriting :p

Advertisement