Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Leaving Cert History 2010

12346»

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ✭✭✭ Tony1130


    Quick question if the show trials come up is der a chance it will just say how stalin used the show trials to make russia a totalitarian dictatorship(stupid question i know :p) but i cant see tht happening and if it does its only a 2 A4 answer :/ and stalin and lenin my best answer :( i hope it says Lenin and Stalin in Q for a really good essay or Stalin - society and economoy


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 EuropeanSon


    Just learned RTE, for the Ireland 49-89 case study. It's really a lovely essay, hope it comes up!!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ fauxshow


    Tony1130 wrote: »
    Quick question if the show trials come up is der a chance it will just say how stalin used the show trials to make russia a totalitarian dictatorship(stupid question i know :p) but i cant see tht happening and if it does its only a 2 A4 answer :/ and stalin and lenin my best answer :( i hope it says Lenin and Stalin in Q for a really good essay or Stalin - society and economoy


    Some question like that probably will come up if that topic comes up! Like how did he use the Show Trials to consolidate power/ spread a reign of terror etc. So you just talk about the Show Trials and Stalin's paranoia, how people were afraid to say anything against him etc. And if you feel your essay is short, if you just keep referring back to the question it will bulk it out. Like make your point, then refer back to the question and repeat your point saying why it ties into the question. I know it sounds repetitive but it'll make your essay longer and bump you up some marks! I hope Russia comes up too, I don't think it's ever NOT come up so you should be safe. Best of luck tomorrow! :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CH92


    I told God that if my essays came up on today's paper, I would start believing in him...my atheism has just been confirmed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ frank93


    think did alri now.. knew the essays however didnt get 2 fin.. had like 5 pages wrote on one essay and 3 on the other.. will i lose much marks over this..? ch92?? what did u predict..


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 ✭✭✭ repeat92


    everything i predicted came up.. i predicted it last year and i did it again this yr.. u should have listerned to me when u had the chance guys :)..


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 EuropeanSon


    Just learned RTE, for the Ireland 49-89 case study. It's really a lovely essay, hope it comes up!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ annainez


    Did anyone do the Dictatorship and democracy question on the impact of Anglo-American popular culture on Europe? I did it, I knew pop culture inside out, but there was nothing about its impact on Europe. I even looked in my book, there is one sentence saying that radio and film spread to Europe and that's all. I tried to put in a bit on impact on Europe from my general knowledge but I don't really know if it was a fair question?


  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭✭ RyanK


    annainez wrote: »
    Did anyone do the Dictatorship and democracy question on the impact of Anglo-American popular culture on Europe? I did it, I knew pop culture inside out, but there was nothing about its impact on Europe. I even looked in my book, there is one sentence saying that radio and film spread to Europe and that's all. I tried to put in a bit on impact on Europe from my general knowledge but I don't really know if it was a fair question?

    Eh, they just tried to twist the question really. It's really no different. Radio/Cinema/Music spread to Europe, so everything you said was relevant.


  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭✭ AgathaK


    Hey!
    I'm doing history as a LC subject, going to take a HL exam in June but I am so stressed! The teacher keeps telling me that my knowledge of periods is very good but seemingly I need to work on expression. But every time I read ove my essays I don't really know where I can improve. :( I'm usually getting Cs but my aim for June is at least B2, taking into consideration that my extended essay is quite strony.

    Any tips on how I can achieve my aim? Because right now I feel that it is impossible. :P


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ orlabobs


    AgathaK wrote: »
    Hey!
    I'm doing history as a LC subject, going to take a HL exam in June but I am so stressed! The teacher keeps telling me that my knowledge of periods is very good but seemingly I need to work on expression. But every time I read ove my essays I don't really know where I can improve. :( I'm usually getting Cs but my aim for June is at least B2, taking into consideration that my extended essay is quite strony.

    Any tips on how I can achieve my aim? Because right now I feel that it is impossible. :P

    Hey, gosh this is weird... theres a post from me on this thread from June last year...
    anyway, back on track.. Realistically, as long as you have the points and the information in your essays, and paragraphed well, there should be no reason why you should have major issues with our expression.

    There are 60 marks for the info
    and then 40 marks for expression.

    However, if you get say.. 50 marks for the info, your obviously going to get good marks for expression as you are putting your point across.

    Then again, many a history teacher (and examiner) are also teachers of english, so sloppy writing and grammar won't exactly aid you.
    My advice:
    * get a list of fancy pants words you can fit into essays to make your essays sound more intelectual.
    *Stick to the point. Waffling will only waste time and make you seem unsure of what your saying.
    *Define your paragraph's well; take one point/idea for a paragraph only.... first of all it will only make it harder to get lots of points as its easier to get 4/5 marks from several small paragraph's than 10/11 marks from one big one.
    *Watch your spelling wherever possible. Especially on historical points.
    *Have dates, times, and perhaps a quote or two to improve your expression mark.

    Personally I wouldn't stress too much about the expression, for my exam, especially on the us question on the economy, i just threw down loads of small paragraphs. Especially a few last min ones before the exam ended! I ended up with an A1 and if I remember correctly from looking at my paper, i got almost top marks.
    I suppose what I'm saying is stress about the info more than the way you say it. Create essays that your teacher considers A1 standard and learn them. Learn the points and how you would say it. That way you have an idea of how you want to form your essay in the exam

    Hope this helps. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 theowen


    AgathaK wrote: »
    Hey!
    I'm doing history as a LC subject, going to take a HL exam in June but I am so stressed! The teacher keeps telling me that my knowledge of periods is very good but seemingly I need to work on expression. But every time I read ove my essays I don't really know where I can improve. :( I'm usually getting Cs but my aim for June is at least B2, taking into consideration that my extended essay is quite strony.

    Any tips on how I can achieve my aim? Because right now I feel that it is impossible. :P
    I find that as long as you used simple language, and you had the appropriate info, you can get an A1 without being Shakespere. At the start of every paragraph make it clear that your talking about a separate point e.g. say, "another factor that led to the success of SF in 1918 was..." then for the second paragraph, "SF were also successful because...".

    Equally important, make sure the last sentence of each paragraph links back to the question. Taking my first example, "Therefore, the fact that SF had Eammon DeValare, who united the party, ment he could lead the party to victory in the election". You end up repeating yourself over and over but it's necessary. How I miss history!:p


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ spurious


    theowen wrote: »
    I find that as long as you used simple language, and you had the appropriate info, you can get an A1 without being Shakespere. At the start of every paragraph make it clear that your talking about a separate point e.g. say, "another factor that led to the success of SF in 1918 was..." then for the second paragraph, "SF were also successful because...".

    Equally important, make sure the last sentence of each paragraph links back to the question. Taking my first example, "Therefore, the fact that SF had Eammon DeValare, who united the party, ment he could lead the party to victory in the election". You end up repeating yourself over and over but it's necessary. How I miss history!:p

    This.

    You need to answer the question. Whatever you write has to be relevant and has to answer the question.

    This is where people fall down with their learned off essays - they see a topic and slap down the learned off essay, without checking if it answers the question. It's such an issue in History (and other subjects) it is mentioned every year in the Chief Examiners' reports.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 Fireball07


    theowen wrote: »
    I find that as long as you used simple language, and you had the appropriate info, you can get an A1 without being Shakespere. At the start of every paragraph make it clear that your talking about a separate point e.g. say, "another factor that led to the success of SF in 1918 was..." then for the second paragraph, "SF were also successful because...".

    Equally important, make sure the last sentence of each paragraph links back to the question. Taking my first example, "Therefore, the fact that SF had Eammon DeValare, who united the party, ment he could lead the party to victory in the election". You end up repeating yourself over and over but it's necessary. How I miss history!:p

    This, most definitely.

    I'm doing the exam this year but those are points my teacher keeps emphasising. Any time I've got an A1 in tests the language has been simple enough...nothing too fancy but it was clear and linked well. And the link at the end of the paragraph is incredibly important.


Advertisement