Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final results! decisive YES vote!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

USE wrote: »
    They got it by 35% :D

THANK YOU IRELAND VERY MUCH.

This is a very important decision for the future of EU and for the future of Ireland. After some time we will all realize that today we have achieved something good for our own interest. I am a person living in another corner of EU, in even smaller country than Ireland is. But I was very into all this Lisbon matter in Ireland, because this will inevitably affect my, as EU citizen, future. And I honestly believe after the Treaty of Lisbon it will be only better (and the Treaty of Lisbon will provide us positive results in a long perspective).

So I appreciate your decision :) Let's celebrate this!

U.S.E = United States of Europe:eek::eek::rolleyes:
    Europe is gonna be wayyyyyyyy better than the US (we already are:))

Seriously, though if there is gonna be a round three - bring it on! Lies once exposed, cannot be used again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

(5.05pm) Anti-Lisbon campaigner Richard Green of Cóir said the Government had only won a battle in the war and he said the war goes on.

For people who freaked out about the supposed language of militarisation contained in Lisbon... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

ei.sdraob wrote: »

Em.Unrelated i assure you. I wasnt watching

However further credence to my statement

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I think a lot of the crazies in the NO campaign did more for for a YES vote than the YES campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭USE

Malty_T wrote: »
    I do not encourage an opinion that EU should be USA alike. With that I encourage an opinion that EU should be federal.

But you can call it European Federation (somebody will tell that is too much Russian (Russian Federation) alike :)) or whatever you wish to.

I have my arguments for that and this topic is worth debating a lot. So I see no point of doing that here.

Anyway, I am fully satisfied with the EU moving forward instead of stagnating, because EU welfare is our welfare, WE ARE EU. And I believe this is what LT will provide us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

USE wrote: »
    They got it by 35% :D

THANK YOU IRELAND VERY MUCH.

This is a very important decision for the future of EU and for the future of Ireland. After some time we will all realize that today we have achieved something good for our own interest. I am a person living in another corner of EU, in even smaller country than Ireland is. But I was very into all this Lisbon matter in Ireland, because this will inevitably affect my, as EU citizen, future. And I honestly believe after the Treaty of Lisbon it will be only better (and the Treaty of Lisbon will provide us some positive results in a long perspective).

So I appreciate your decision :) Let's celebrate this!

I'd Rather not, if it's all the same with you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Expect 3 million Turks on these shores very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

5uspect wrote: »
    I think a lot of the crazies in the NO campaign did more for for a YES vote than the YES campaign.

I think the Yes side playing on peoples economic fears did more for the Yes vote to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

spongeman wrote: »

Nigel is that you?

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    I think the Yes side playing on peoples economic fears did more for the Yes vote to be honest.

says the man who is calling the electorate "spineless" in his signature

spongeman wrote: »

Like Gallipoli reversed huh? Will we be fighting them off the beaches? :rolleyes: Turkey isn't in the EU and won't be for a long time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Well done the pro-treaty side. The people have spoken. Whilst I voted No I can understand the reasons people voted Yes in the current economic circumstances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

prinz wrote: »
    Like Gallipoli reversed huh? Will we be fighting them off the beaches? :rolleyes: Turkey isn't in the EU and won't be for a long time ;)

No, but the Balkan states will be. Expect more mass immigration. Yes, for jobs, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

SV wrote: »
    Yes, but the reason the majority of people are happy is because they think this is going to pull Ireland out of recession and make everything all nice again.
    They'll soon realise it won't do an ounce of good.

*Yes to jobs* HA

lol. don't be silly. i'm sure a lot less people think that than think the min wage is gonna be reduced to 1.84 soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Regardless of the outcome, I'm saddened to see such an anti-Irish sentiment being portrayed by many

sure we're just a backwards nation full of fools that can't possibly exist without Europe.. aren't we? =(

Well no, we're not.. only those that believe they can't exist without Europe are the backward fools, imo

Im sure 100 years ago there would have been the same attitude from the same type of people towards Ireland gaining Independence from Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,137 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Those are fightin' words, pilgrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

You just wait my friend. And they probably will not be asked to show work permits either.

Oh, and congratulation to the Yes side. I believe you have made a disastrous decision, but I hope I am proved wrong. Enjoy the victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    says the man who is calling the electorate "spineless" in his signature

Where is the correlation between what you quoted me on and what I'm quoting you on?

P.S. I'd also call them gullible, dumb, and sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

PaulieD wrote: »
    No, but the Balkan states will be. Expect more mass immigration. Yes, for jobs, indeed.

mass immigration to a country w/ an unemployment rate of 12%? doubt it.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Im sure 100 years ago there would have been the same attitude from the same type of people towards Ireland gaining Independence from Britain.

You just can't escape the delicious irony of being on the same side as the people who want the UK to annexe the Republic :pac:

• Advertisement

mass immigration to a country w/ an unemployment rate of 12%? doubt it.

To many, many countries, Ireland is still a decent place to emigrate too. Remember, 60,000 people entered our country so far this year.

You just can't escape the delicious irony of being on the same side as the people who want the UK to annexe the Republic :pac:

Who wants to annexe the Republic?

Dun Laoghaire voted Yes in massive numbers.;)

Who wants to annexe the Republic?

Have you not heard? The UKIP's solution to Northern Ireland is to bring our country back into the Union... apparently there'd be peace if we were all subjects of the Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's great publicity for Ireland. It's on every national news network all over the world and it seems to be seen as a happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Well done spineless yes voters. You've more or less guaranteed that warmonger Blair gets another cushy job on the gravy train, most probably with Cowen, Roche, maybe sweary Mary and the Bert as well.

Absolutely nothing will change for Ireland, it won't help our economy one bit. If anything there are now more economic risks in some ways.

Then again maybe the government has just thrown away another €20m on the election - and Ryanair €500k - if the Czechs stir things up or stall things until Cameron can hold a referendum in the UK.

The distortion and lack of clarity in the debate was ridiculous. This was a vote on a treaty designed for a specific purpose. It wasn't a vote on "staying in Europe," or our role in Europe. There was absolutely no danger of us being kicked out of Europe or sidelined or snubbed in any way.

The yes campaign was mostly run on the basis of fear and scaremongering over the economy.

More often than not any debate on the TV got bogged down in minutiae and technicalities that made people switch off. Ganley didn't help matters there but he did show he had a better understanding of the issues than Michael O'Leary.

Once again, well done Yes voters.

The mask finally slips. Why not state your agenda before the referendum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Gekko wrote: »

About as honest a Ganley's speech at lunch time........

LOL Yes it is and yes it stays...... woooooooooot

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Gekko wrote: »
    Well done spineless yes voters. You've more or less guaranteed that warmonger Blair gets another cushy job on the gravy train, most probably with Cowen, Roche, maybe sweary Mary and the Bert as well.

Absolutely nothing will change for Ireland, it won't help our economy one bit.

Then again maybe the government has just thrown away another €20m on the election - and Ryanair €500k - if the Czechs stir things up or stall things until Cameron can hold a referendum in the UK.

Thanks,

What's wrong with Blair, he negotiated a good deal of peace in the north didn't he? (Blair over dishonest Ganley anyday)

Also, why does it have to be always about Ireland...are we really that selfish? Europe gave us alot, we can't expect to take forever. Although voting no did give us a commissioner to keep..hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Just heard on Radio 1 that COIR will be entering candidates in the next GE. Very bad news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Remember, 60,000 people entered our country so far this year.
    Poor misguided fools...:rolleyes:

But anyway! I for one am delighted I got the chance to change my mind and vote again. It'd be nice if they gave me another crack at the old abortion chestnut too. Can't quite understand why having the option to voice my opinion a second time (or third or fourth, whether changed or not) could be considered undemocratic. Besides, surely it's better than to be denied a voice? Honestly I wish we had a lot more chances to vote on things.

Advertisement