Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators? do we really need them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

orestes wrote: »
    Mods are regular users outside of the forums they mod, and they aren't leaders anywhere.

What do you mean? i don't get it. So if they're not leaders, does that make them all MASSIVE losers? my post count is low so that was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

What do you mean? i don't get it. So if they're not leaders, does that make them all MASSIVE losers? my post count is low so that was a joke.
    Try and make it funny next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

spad_moderator_1.jpg

;)

Dont know how to display images here sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Aren't you that guy my parents used to tell me scary bedtime stories about?

Depends on the bedtime stories your parents told you, and what exactly happened to little red riding hood in the forest.

Lets put it this way, she was just plain old "Little Red Hood" before sje entered the forest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

We get it. You're trying to turn this into a moderator-bashing thread but doing so in a low-level, passive-aggressive manner. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

LadyJ wrote: »
    If you actually looked at boards through the uncensored eyes of a mod, you'd understand. It's like the difference between watching Big Brother live and the edited version at night. We filter out all of the crap that no one has any need for and you don't have to watch anyone taking a dump.

Hmmm, don't agree. There are Mods on Boards with Agenda and issues against some posters.

phasers wrote: »
    Try and make it funny next time

Boo, was scared of getting another infraction, some folks think i'm being a **** when only messing...and i REFUSE to do that whole LOL thing. I hate lolling

Dudess wrote: »
    We get it. You're trying to turn this into a moderator-bashing thread but doing so in a low-level, passive-aggressive manner. :)

You've over-estimated me, I wish i was that smrt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

You've over-estimated me, I wish i was that smrt ;)
    You are so smart. You are so smart. You are so smart. S-M-R-T!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I'm very surprised and impressed with the fairly constructive way this thread is progressing, when I saw the title I had expected it to have descended into chaos by the second page of replies! :)

In my own opinion, yes we bloody well do need mods! I've been on mod-free/minimal modding forums and the amount of spam and rubbish posts is farcical. If you want to see how bad it can get have a look at 4 c h a n :eek:

I might not always agree with a mod's decision but from what I've seen they are fairly open about their actions and there's an appeals system in place if a user feels hard done by. Not every mod is going to be perfect (its never going to happen that everyone will be happy with a mod's actions) but I feel users need to remember from time to time that mods are giving up their free time (and sometimes work time too!) to keep their sections of boards as tidy as possible.

Now please excuse me as I go back to lurking.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, don't agree. There are Mods on Boards with Agenda and issues against some posters.
    Sometimes it would appear so, but who cares really? Some day you might be a moderator with agendas and issues :pac:

The agenda thing, possibly - but extremely rarely. And sometimes what seems like an agenda is just staunch opinion. Letting this affect moderation is not on though - no disagreement there. Issues against posters - I honestly haven't seen this when it's not warranted.

Any large group of humans is bound to have a handful of arseholes in its midst though.

I love banning mods. The bigger the scalp the more of a hard-on I get.
    Here's an opportunity: dr.bollocko is a total softie and really sweet and cuddly and not as hardcore a mod as he makes out - even if he mods After Hours, The Thunderdome, Ranting & Raving, and the scariest of all... ROCK & ****ING METAL!! GRRRR!!!

GalKiefer wrote: »
    I'm very surprised and impressed with the fairly constructive way this thread is progressing, when I saw the title I had expected it to have descended into chaos by the second page of replies! :)

In my own opinion, yes we bloody well do need mods! I've been on mod-free/minimal modding forums and the amount of spam and rubbish posts is farcical. If you want to see how bad it can get have a look at 4 c h a n :eek:

I might not always agree with a mod's decision but from what I've seen they are fairly open about their actions and there's an appeals system in place if a user feels hard done by. Not every mod is going to be perfect (its never going to happen that everyone will be happy with a mod's actions) but I feel users need to remember from time to time that mods are giving up their free time (and sometimes work time too!) to keep their sections of boards as tidy as possible.

Now please excuse me as I go back to lurking.

Yes we are very civilised here.

HEY EVERYONE!! look at ME!! I'm hobnobbing with the big nob moderators :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

MODZ CLOESD MY THREDS MAN

ALL MODZ = HITLER

FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!!1

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Here's an opportunity: dr.bollocko is a total softie and really sweet and cuddly and not as hardcore a mod as he makes out - even if he mods After Hours, The Thunderdome, Ranting & Raving, and the scariest of all... ROCK & ****ING METAL!! GRRRR!!!

I'm so hard I'm actually harder than me. That's how hard.
    :mad:

Sir Molle wrote: »
    Hey modzis, what's up? :cool:

Congratulations. You just made my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

Hey modzis, what's up? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Sir Molle wrote: »
    MODZ CLOESD MY THREDS MAN

ALL MODZ = HITLER

FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!!1

Thread title: ANSWERED. And emphatically. I may not agree with some mod's actions and their disciplinary measures. But of course they are needed. Without them threads like yours run rampant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

you are all banned, stfu :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

How the hell did dr.b quote and answer Sir Molle, before he had even posted :eek:

Backs away slowly from dr.b and his crazy future-telling abilities

Did I really overestimate you...?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well answered but who moderates the mods that moderate the moderators? :D
    DeV's Ma.

Did I really overestimate you...?

Definately, i've an IQ of 65 which technically makes me a retard. I do have an honours degree in self deprecation. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

How the hell did dr.b quote and answer Sir Molle, before he had even posted :eek:

You ain't seen nothing yet kid

I was following the chap for months. Ever since he posted something insulting on a jamaican site about my moderation skills. I paid off a couple of ISP's and traced his email address. With that I managed to get onto his facebook friends list by disguising myself as a certain female boards poster that Sir molle had thanked once on a pics thread I found. From there I got to know his family. Not two weeks ago I was inside his old bedroom. From there it was only a brief reading of his diaries and glance through his stuff before I really got inside his head. At that point I knew that this poster would without doubt begin to troll AH. So I waited till today when post work boredom would compel him to start a number of troll threads. These would without doubt be locked and this would provoke a negative reaction from him. It was obvious that he would use this "Moderators? do we really need them?" thread to express his anger at the threads being closed as it was a very close start point for a heat of the moment counter offensive. (Did you think we just kept this thread open because we value your opinion?)
    I won't bore you with the details but suffice it to say he won't be bothering us for a while.

Now please continue to offer your constructive criticism on our moderation of AH.

I was following the chap for months. Ever since he posted something insulting on a jamaican site about my moderation skills. I paid off a couple of ISP's and traced his email address. With that I managed to get onto his facebook friends list by disguising myself as a certain female boards poster that Sir molle had thanked once on a pics thread I found. From there I got to know his family. Not two weeks ago I was inside his old bedroom. From there it was only a brief reading of his diaries and glance through his stuff before I really got inside his head. At that point I knew that this poster would without doubt begin to troll AH. So I waited till today when post work boredom would compel him to start a number of troll threads. These would without doubt to locked and this would provoke a negative reaction from him. It was obvious that he would use this "Moderators? do we really need them?" thread to express his anger at the threads being closed as it was a very close start point for a heat of the moment counter offensive. (Did you think we just kept this thread open because we value your opinion?)
    I won't bore you with the details but suffice it to say he won't be bothering us for a while.

Now please continue to offer your constructive criticism on our moderation of AH.
    That's creepydedication.

I'm largely in favour of the moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Uh-huh...thats nice... Yawn

On a side note, anyone know how to get rice out of a keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Give the Mods a break... Mods can be clueless idiots as well, same as the rest of us. They lock threads based on their opinion and experience. You have to appreciate that folks.

After all they did take this job with 'some pay' over the oppurtunity of just doing it for free. Any other option would point towards no life and a feeling of power in some cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

D-

If it seems like mods have an agenda against a particular poster it is usually because the user in question has been brought to the mod communities attention as being a pain in the arse and a complete and utter tard/troll/muppet so the mods will have less time for them than users who are generally good users and have stepped over the line a wee bit.

Simply put: if the mods are repeatedly slapping someone, there is usually good reason for it.
    After all they did take this job with 'some pay' over the oppurtunity of just doing it for free. Any other option would point towards no life and a feeling of power in some cases.

Not gonna bother pointing out that mods donate their time because they generally care about the communities they are a part of and for boards.ie as an entity and want to give something back to it, cos what's the point, you will just ignore the facts anyway and stick with your pre-concieved and ill-informed notion of the motivations for the reasons over 500 mods donate their time to this site based on your own personal, limited, biased experience.

But yeah, those damned power-tripping, basement-dwelling, bullied-in-school bastards! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

Advertisement