Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N/M18 (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

murphaph wrote: »
    Thanks, that ADS is quite misleading given the fact we have pretty much no such LILO junctions on our motorway network and I presume the sign it replaced was a stack type sign with a left arrow rather than a full fork style ADS?

The sign should be patched to show the driver it's a particularly sharp left hand curve they are about to encounter IMO. People are used to a fork sign indicating a slip road on which they will be able to decellerate off the mainline. It's dangerous as it is tbh but could be sorted so easily.

I'm cant think of what kind of sign was there beforehand. I have a short memory :pac:

I agree a patching of the sign and extending the acceleration and develeration lanes would make a big difference to the safety of this section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

corktina wrote: »
    thats just unbelievable!.Its a fine road and any idiot can see its perfectly safe as a Mway.....(and practically empty

What I find interesting is the fact that the road is reported as being designed for "80km/h" according to a former engineer. One wonders if there's another agenda at work here. Striking too is the paltry reportage of the NRA's rebuttal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Furet wrote: »
    What I find interesting is the fact that the road is reported as being designed for "80km/h" according to a former engineer. .

Arse , the speed limit was 100kph when it was designed and some of the slips were not EVEN designed for 80kph with curves like that .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Soo...

M18 not mentioned on the news bulletins this morning (TodayFM), and 100kph signage still in place between Killow and Tulla Rd. junctions. Has the rug been pulled from under us?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

100kmh speed limit signs still on the M6 Athlone-Ballinasloe. I'm sure they'll be changed to 120kmh signs at some point soon on all routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

tech2 wrote: »
    Yes the wikipedia page is taking shape now but I it has been updated also by other boards members. I would like to gather more history particularly on the Shannon - Newmarket-on-Fergus stretch though.

Official opening of Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass was 30 Sept 2002 (link).

It was around the time of the Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass that the old Shannon Town junction was removed and just a single LILO on northbound remaining (with proper acceleration/deceleration lanes), both carriageways of the N18 DC rebuilt properly back to the end of the Bunratty bypass, and a new GSJ for Hurlers Cross put in (old at-grade crossing removed) also at that point. Also a parallel access road was built between the new N19 junction and the new Hurler's Cross junction.

Here's a link of active road projects in 2001 and N18 is mentioned as "Hurler's Cross/Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass".

Basically between the current (new) N19 junction and the Hurler's Cross GSJ was already dual carriageway before the Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass, but that section was entirely rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

2 Espressi wrote: »
    Soo...

M18 not mentioned on the news bulletins this morning (TodayFM), and 100kph signage still in place between Killow and Tulla Rd. junctions. Has the rug been pulled from under us?

Some links that may be of interest...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0828/roads.html

http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=124

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Fantastically accurate reporting from RTE as usual :rolleyes:
    The speed limits on these roads will be increased from 100 to 120km/ph, which will mean that learner drivers, certain types of agricultural vehicles and motorbikes will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Not that I'd normally be one to jump to their defence murphaph but in this case I they got it okay if it's read as below. ;)
    murphaph wrote: »
    The speed limits on these roads will be increased from 100 to 120km/ph, which will mean that learner drivers, certain types of agricultural vehicles and [certain types of] motorbikes will be banned.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

RT&#201 wrote: »
    from 100 to 120km/ph

do they know that means 120 kilometres per per hour?

some of their journalists really are awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

As you come from newmarket onto the M18 the speed signs are 120kph, so either they are wrong or they need to change the ones on the M18.

glineli wrote: »
    As you come from newmarket onto the M18 the speed signs are 120kph, so either they are wrong or they need to change the ones on the M18.

Exact same with the M20 the speed limit on some parts of the mainline reads 100km/hr. A little more work needs to be done to these routes.

Zoney wrote: »
    Official opening of Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass was 30 Sept 2002 (link).

It was around the time of the Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass that the old Shannon Town junction was removed and just a single LILO on northbound remaining (with proper acceleration/deceleration lanes), both carriageways of the N18 DC rebuilt properly back to the end of the Bunratty bypass, and a new GSJ for Hurlers Cross put in (old at-grade crossing removed) also at that point. Also a parallel access road was built between the new N19 junction and the new Hurler's Cross junction.

Here's a link of active road projects in 2001 and N18 is mentioned as "Hurler's Cross/Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass".

Basically between the current (new) N19 junction and the Hurler's Cross GSJ was already dual carriageway before the Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass, but that section was entirely rebuilt.

Thanks for that excellent post Zoney. I wasn't sure what was the Hurler's Cross upgrade entailed as I wouldn't have driven the N18 at that time. I will correct the date and add a bit more to the Newmarket-on-Fergus/hurlers cross section.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there any plans to replace the last LILO on the ennis bypass before the new section starts with a "normal" slip road GSJ. Surely it would make sense to construct a new junction at the start of the Crusheen section and remove the LILO. It would improve the M18 because the Barefield/Ennis exit is tight heading north and cars slow down on the main line. It would be a perfect opertunity to change the junction now in conjunction with the current project. I know it was discussed on the other thread during reclasification that LILO's are common in europe and are acceptable but I feel they should be avoided where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Didnt know where else to put this as threads have changed.

Anyone noticed they've changed the motorway signs for the LILOs on the Ennis bypass?

Before, they were standard motorway junction signs using the standard forked junction picture.

CIMG1106.jpg

This junction, and another LILO have had the signs changed so that the 'sliproad' appears at right angles to the main road. No pics unfortunately but can anyone else get one? Interesting stuff, if a little confusing for people who dont know what difference is or that it actually means something.

This is a REALLY poor photoshop markup but you get the idea.

CIMG1106b.jpg

Just bumping this thread to let everyone know of its existance. All completed/opened N18/M18 can be discussed in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Just spotted this:
    Anger over bypass left ‘unfinished’ and ‘unsafe’

By Pat Flynn
    FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2010

THE National Roads Authority (NRA) has begun installing emergency telephones on the M18 Ennis bypass, over a year after the route was upgraded to motorway status, however it has been claimed that the route remains unfinished and unsafe.

The controversial redesignation of the bypass in August last year has also led to claims that two particular interchanges are "confusing, badly designed and badly laid out".

Clare councillor Johnny Flynn (FG), a civil engineer and former chief fire officer for Co Limerick, believes a safety audit of the N18, which the NRA claims was undertaken before the route was upgraded to motorway, was not adequate and that the motorway remains "unfinished".

"I cannot believe that a year after the M18 was upgraded, installation of the phones has still not been completed. I have asked the NRA on several occasions to address serious issues regarding the layout of the route and signage and they have failed to do so. As far as I am concerned, the M18 as a project has not been completed to the highest safety standard. Other newer motorways have been completed with phones installed and the Ennis bypass still doesn’t have them," Mr Flynn said.

"Speed determines the seriousness of a collision and of a person’s injuries. Similarly, the speed with which the alarm is raised after a crash is crucially important so that victims can receive the best possible treatment in the fastest possible time. After a crash, anyone who is involved in, or witnesses to, an accident can be confused, stressed and disorientated and might not know exactly where they are.

"With the SOS phones, the operator will know immediately what phone the call is made from and can direct the emergency services to the correct location," Mr Flynn added.

While the N18 Ennis bypass was redesignated and became the M18 motorway in August 2009, the M6 between Athlone and Galway had the easily identifiable orange SOS phones installed before the route was opened.

Work to install the phones on a newer stretch of the M18, which has not opened yet, commenced before the retrograde installation on the existing M18 started.

An NRA spokesman confirmed: "Any retro fitting of the existing network is currently taking place and new motorways will have them upon opening. All retro fitting will be completed by autumn of 2010."

The NRA has said it is not obligatory to have restriction usage signage on the new motorway network, but it is a sign the NRA has used to notify drivers and will continue to use when and where appropriate," a spokesperson said.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Friday, September 24, 2010

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/anger-over-bypass-left-unfinished-and-unsafe-131655.html#ixzz10eppeQv9

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The "confusing, badly designed and badly laid out" junctions should have deserved more of the article - I'm assuming they're referring to the LILO-style junctions. These are fairly tight by Irish standards... phones are a relatively minor factor compared to these. The original signage with these shown as offramps was almost certainly going to cause an accident at some point!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Not only are the LILOs tight but they are anti-intuitive in that they are rear facing LILOs. E.g. - to get on the M18 at J14 heading South to Limerick the junction first brings you North (adjacent to the Southbound carriageway!) towards Galway before bending back around. I can see how this could confuse/disorientate some people a bit.

As I've said before if they have issues over the two LILO juntions then just close them off as there is adequate access when Gort to Crusheen is completed. One juntion at Ennis and another at Crusheen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭redcube

One thing on the M18 that should go is the blue lights on the half buried spring you see it on the way to Limerick from Galway i hit the breaks in the van cause i though there was a crash up a head almost got rear end cause of those light

And yes the junction are confusing, badly designed and badly laid out at the end there is little or no area to slow down so you have to break on the motor way and then turn of it alright in a car as there light and slow down faster but if you drive Bus, Van, Truck anything big you have to slow down on the motorway and the polo's in the middle on the slip lanes are a pain i keep hitting them in the van (i have a larger Transit van and a long car transporter) when i have a car on the trailler as i can't take the turns i have seen a few trucks do it to i seen one truck driver just drive over them

And there needs to be more signs to let you now where your going they should go across the lanes cause you can't see them if your passing larger trucks or buses and then when you do see them there on the end of the slip lane so you think its the nest turn of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Any SOS motorway phones on the new Gort section?

Drove the M18 Gort-Crusheen stretch again today and it is some relief to be driving on a motorway and not the old N18 through the bumpy streets of Gort. The N18 will not be sorely missed especially the bends at the Clare/Galway county border and the severe bend under the railway bridge into Crusheen (although this has been now removed due to the RAB).

As for the motorway well it is one of the better schemes built over the last year although not my favourite. There is some fantastic long straights with slight bends which makes it a less boring drive. There is one curve in particular under the Crusheen-Tubber overbridge which is fantastic heading southbound. I actually find the drive more pleasing driving south not sure why probably down to nicer landscape in the background.

Surface is immaculate throughout the whole route in both directions. I could not see the problem on the surface between J14-J15 although the tie in with the Ennis bypass southbound was not perfect but good.

Signage is good but why oh why have they not torn down the old signs at J14(Ennis bypass) on the northbound lane. It still has N18 ahead, end of motorway and 100km limits passing by J14. Very slow to get this done.

Here are the travel times now between Gort and Limerick on the M18/N18

J16 - 0 mins
    J15 - 7 mins
    J14 - 11 mins
    J12 - 15 mins
    J4 - 30 mins
    J2 - 35 mins (via express lane)

Overall delighted with the new section of the M18 and hopefully the contract will be signed on the M17/M18 scheme soon and will make our journeys on the M18 that little easier. I think the M18 Newmarket-On-Fergus bypass is the best scheme ever built in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Newmarket bypass is good and has some great scenery but its a tough call to compete with Galway - Ballinasloe. That surface, the wide median for 3x3 at some point in the future, no undulating surfaces and the fact that its run by a company who seem very very proud of their road..... I dunno, Newmarket cant beat that ;)

I think were going to have to create a thread again for the best scheme ever built!! :D

For me the M6 Ballinasloe-Galway is the best scheme built in the last 4 years but falls short of the M18 Newmarket-On-Fergus bypass. Apart from the southern tie in error without the hard shoulder it has everything: smooth surface(bearing in mind its the old type wearing course), excellent alignment and build quality, good signage and the scenery on some sections is top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I think were going to have to create a thread again for the best scheme ever built!!

You might as well, it is not as if they are going to build any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Have a look at this picture

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ennis+co+clare&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.732051,93.076172&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ennis,+County+Clare,+Ireland&ll=52.884489,-8.951712&spn=0.015201,0.045447&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.884578,-8.951663&panoid=bKXkMwyRK83uD8LDsjc7VA&cbp=12,43.49,,0,6.78

This is the Barefield Roundabout at the link road to the M18. This picture is a little dated because there is now a skid wearing course on the right hand lane(of the picture).

However, if anybody drives this road would you care to hazard a guess as to what is wrong with it?

They put the rumble strips on the right hand lane(of the picture - ennis bound) instead of the other lane.

So you get rumble strips leaving the roundabout and not approaching.

the picture is useless for trying to figure it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KL892

Not exactly an error, but really confusing yes. Perhaps the confusion makes you slow down.

Right after you come off the roundabout - heading towards Ennis, there is a hidden junction on your left.

For this reason they have attempted to slow down the traffic by doing three things:

1 - coming from the M18 Motorway - this roundabout now has rumble strips and stop, rather than yield signs - to try and get traffic to stop and not just yield, as you can otherwise go through the roundabout at 60kph if heading towards Ennis.

2 - concealed junction sign

3 - rumble strips

Mod Note: Stop using Spoilers and the same goes for Berty and DaCor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 parklands

An update on the Barefield Junction. The stop signs on the roundabout are now re-replaced with Yield signs, and the rumble strips coming off the roundabout are gone.

Nothing like a complete waste of money!

Advertisement