Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Dudess wrote: »
    As I said, I only dislike it when people use it in a sly manner to get personal with someone, by not actually contributing any post, just thanking others who are having a go at the person in question... spit it out, tosser!

But that's rare - and it's their problem if they aren't able to construct their own post or posts. :)

Aye, I especially hate when somebody makes a personal insult towards another poster, and gets banned, but those that thank the post do so to get a dig in, knowing they won't be banned. Very sneaky. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Nothing really majorly annoys me. Some people are a little condesending at times but I must say its a great place to be!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Acacia wrote: »
    Aye, I especially hate when somebody makes a personal insult towards another poster, and gets banned, but those that thank the post do so to get a dig in, knowing they won't be banned. Very sneaky. :mad:
    Soccer actually bans thankers of personal abuse. There have been debates about bringing that in elsewhere but some people view this as terribly fascist all together. I don't know... I can see both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Soccer actually bans thankers of personal abuse. There have been debates about bringing that in elsewhere but some people view this as terribly fascist all together. I don't know... I can see both sides.

I'm agnostic about it.

I could actually see myself thanking a good instance of abuse if I didn't like the post, but usually only because somebody had got there first or you don't want to clog up the thread with abuse.

Basically, it's sleeveen when it's the long grass version: you thank abuse of posts or posters that you would never question or argue with yourself. Like abuse by proxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I hate power hungry people ruining the fun for members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Soccer actually bans thankers of personal abuse. There have been debates about bringing that in elsewhere

lol so stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I for one hate the way you can't thank yourself :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055641449&highlight=thanking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

But... how do you know they're thanking them just because they're a mod? Maybe they just like the post?

Hi Dudess,normally when i read your posts you come across as a head of sense,balanced and fair.

I cant agree with you though that posts 198,201,203. on this thread are incorrect.the evidence of mods receiving a disproportinate amount of thanks is overwhelming across forums.It only takes the evidence of our eyes to see that.

I cant remember from when i signed up but is,nt boards.ie open to all ages?
    reason i say that is young teens are often drawn to what is in their eyes figures of authority(or else kicking authority figures in the shin!:))

the term brownosing on this subject just undermines the posters valid observation IMO.

My humble suggestion to avoid all this is that mods not have a thank you button like other posters,instead a poster who wants to thank a mod log in,quote the mod and say what they are thanking the mod for.

I dont know if the amount of *hits* to a website includes those who dont log in thus earning the site more chances of google ads being placed and revenue being generated but i,m sure the Admins do!:)

mods being overly thanked IS an issue to any of us that want boards not to have a two tier system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm not a fan of the cliques and gimmicks. Terry starting a drunk thread... we get it - you drink a lot. There's hehehehahahahohoho or hahahahehehoho... oh yea and I hate the way anyone who doesn't happen to reach orgasm reading one of pighead's posts is abused by the faithful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

As I said, I only dislike it when people use it in a sly manner to get personal with someone, by not actually contributing any post, just thanking others who are having a go at the person in question... spit it out, tosser!

But that's rare - and it's their problem if they aren't able to construct their own post or posts. :)

They might be agreeing but are not willing to comment for fear of a ban? :P

:rolleyes: can be annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Just scrap the thanks function, it is really annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ELEVEN CLICKING.
    EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH.

that or dressing up as a retard on the weekend and hitting my mates with a 200eu rubber "sword" while trying to put the image of fat abbot and me to the back of my mind because it is wholly accurate. + i smell of gone off beef.

who am i?

(jepordy mode ++)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

angel01 wrote: »

fwa. uhe. ASEFHJ\;KLFXDJG.... your like the leader of the dahleks. JOHN FASHANU JOHN FASHANU JOHN FASHANU.
    thats john fashanu tonight, bbc 1, 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Blaalarry

Pighead:p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

hate the lack of funny running-jokes/memes produced on boards now... 'bout 8 years ago, when it was just gamers/nerds here AH used to be a lot funnier.. now its just filled with 'whats your favourite' or 'have you ever' threads, like this one actually..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

ynotdu wrote: »
    mods being overly thanked IS an issue to any of us that want boards not to have a two tier system.

What the hell? What does it matter who gets thanked?
    No really, what?
    Does someone being thanked a lot get laid more often or win monthly cash prizes? It's a reputation-lite system that adds to the functionality of a forum not a popularity points scoring system.
    Mods are members too, just with extra responsibility. For many mods they're only able to moderate one or two forums (with some obvious exceptions)...since mods are usually long standing members and familiar to regulars they attract extra attention...that's just how it is. Learn to live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Wertz wrote: »
    Does someone being thanked a lot get laid more often or win monthly cash prizes?
    If only... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

We wrote: »
    ...'bout 8 years ago....

You joined in February this year ? :confused:
    We wrote: »
    hate the lack of funny running-jokes/memes produced on boards now

Plenty of witty banter, just have to know where to look :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I cant agree with you though that posts 198,201,203. on this thread are incorrect.the evidence of mods receiving a disproportinate amount of thanks is overwhelming across forums.It only takes the evidence of our eyes to see that.

Mods tend to be people who get boards and so people agree with them but I have never thanked a post just cos it was by a mod.
    I rarely use the thanks function, boards managed fine with out it for years.
    I cant remember from when i signed up but is,nt boards.ie open to all ages?
    reason i say that is young teens are often drawn to what is in their eyes figures of authority(or else kicking authority figures in the shin!:))

It used to be 13 and over but that changed.

There is a limit to how many time a person can hit the thanks button in a day so it'd not unlimited.

I don't think there is unless there is a public listing for it which thankfully there isn't.

hmmmmmmmm What do I hate about boards...
    • Disruptive ****ers who have never posted in a forum before but for what ever reason, drunk, or the moon is full or they are bored post to pissed people off and have to then be banned.
    • People who whinge that the moderation is to strict when they have no idea of the level of disruptive ****ers there are and then spammer and then shillers.
    • Disruptive ****ers who get banned and then whinge and moan about it like a junior infant.
    • Disruptive ****ers who get banned and then come back and do the exact same thing with in 24 hours of their ban being lifted.
    • The personal politics and ganging up that goes on from time to time, but it's usually more aimed at mods and it's sad when it's other mods that do it but I've seen it happen with certain posters.
    • The idea that mods are like the borg. :rolleyes:
    • How often threads get derailed
    • How much stooopid sexism there is ( aimed at men and women but it tends to be more at women ).
    • That Yore Ma was banned from after hours /sniff
    • People who have a go in pm when you know there is no way that they would say half that crap to you in person.
    • People who think they know you cos of your posts when really they don't have a clue.
    • That my post count is so fúcking big, I swear can post count beturned off for PI cos I'd loose about 20K of posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No really, what?
    +1, ynotdu-what exactly is the big issue, how is it 2 tier, if peoples posts were sorted in order of thanks, or "unthanked" posts were deleted or something I could see it as being an issue. But what is the problem with seeing a persons names under a post?
    angel01 wrote: »
    A persons name under a post is not too annoying, it is blatantly not part of the post so you just skip over it. What is far more annoying is forums without a thanks function. You end up with endless posts quoting a post which would otherwise be thanked just going "thanks", "LOL" "+1" etc, not that REALLY is annoying, trawling through superficial posts.
    My humble suggestion to avoid all this is that mods not have a thank you button like other posters,instead a poster who wants to thank a mod log in,quote the mod and say what they are thanking the mod for.
    That would lead to even more of these posts. I always thought the thanks button was to prevent exactly what you are suggesting.
    the evidence of mods receiving a disproportinate amount of thanks is overwhelming across forums.It only takes the evidence of our eyes to see that.
    I see that in some forums, but not for the reasons you gave. Many forums are created after a request, the person requesting it might then be mods of the forum. They post a lot and know a lot more than most posters there, and so get more thanks, as I would logically expect.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    [*]People who whinge that the moderation is to strict when they have no idea of the level of disruptive ****ers there are and then spammer and then shillers.
    Yes, if they ever went to unmoderated or lowly moderated forums they might then see the needs. It is like people calling gardai or bouncers all power hungry arseholes, and then moaning when scum are let into the nightclub.

• Advertisement

No really, what?
    Does someone being thanked a lot get laid more often or win monthly cash prizes? It's a reputation-lite system that adds to the functionality of a forum not a popularity points scoring system.
    Mods are members too, just with extra responsibility. For many mods they're only able to moderate one or two forums (with some obvious exceptions)...since mods are usually long standing members and familiar to regulars they attract extra attention...that's just how it is. Learn to live with it.

Hi Wertz,My post in the main was just my observations on the foibles of human nature.

I have seen many posts were really excellant posts go unthanked whilst a one line gag from a mod gets a massive thanks.

if i seemed to be blowing it out of proportion it would only be on the grounds that young teens or people who have done a lot of research or put serious thought into a post might become disheartened.
    i said it is an issue,i did,nt say it was a major one,just think it possibly affect younger sensitive posters self confidence is all:)

P.s how do you know they DONT get laid more often?

dont mind Hager he,s too horrible to get laid;)

pps i think Dudess is More than capable of defending her/his self by a mile! ; )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Does someone being thanked a lot get laid more often or win monthly cash prizes?

Yes. For every thanks I get I have sex twice and I get paid 17 euro for each go

Yes. For every thanks I get I have sex twice and I get paid 17 euro for each go

Turd you should not have admitted that!

you have just guarenteed that you will never be thanked again!

people get Awful jealous ya know!:p

Never be thanked again? I find that statement amusing....do you know who you're dealing with here?

Hi Wertz,My post in the main was just my observations on the foibles of human nature.

I have seen many posts were really excellant posts go unthanked whilst a one line gag from a mod gets a massive thanks.

if i seemed to be blowing it out of proportion it would only be on the grounds that young teens or people who have done a lot of research or put serious thought into a post might become disheartened.
    i said it is an issue,i did,nt say it was a major one,just think it possibly affect younger sensitive posters self confidence is all:)

P.s how do you know they DONT get laid more often?

dont mind Hager he,s too horrible to get laid;)

pps i think Dudess is More than capable of defending her/his self by a mile! ; )

Maybe the thanks system is used incorrectly then by a lot of posters, and it's probably more evident in AH. It seems to work more how it should in the other forums on boards. Perhaps there's an element in AH who turned it into a rep/karma substitute.
    That it's used primarily to thank humour in posts rather than every well thought out post is just indicative of the forum itself.

The incentive to post (either well thought out or not) should be borne out of a want to share something or to have your opinion heard or questioned...it shouldn't be because you want people to thank you for it...I know what you're saying that people may think their considered offering is being ignored because there's no list of handles under it, but that isn't the case...for many, it's jokes, puns, wisecracks or clique that attract thanks...serious well thought out replies get them too, just less frequently.
    Anyway, chances are that if there's something amiss with the post or the opinion there in, someone will quote and reply to it...when they don't it's most likely that the post/opinion is a common one or the idea is nothing new, just worded differently.
    You must consider too that a lot of people simply don't bother with the system.

Yes I'm sure Dudess will be along presently to rip you a new one. :pac: She certainly doesn't need anyone's help.

Yes. For every thanks I get I have sex twice ...

With the same goat?

Ew no, dont be disgusting...it goes goat, pig, chicken, Twink and then back to goat again and it continues in that cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I got €18 per thanks received :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

phasers wrote: »
    I got €18 per thanks received :cool:

Thanked 2,140 Times in 738 Posts

2,140 * €18 = €38,520

I hope you declared this to the revenue, they are watching you know;)

*Notes down IP address

• Advertisement

Ew no, dont be disgusting...it goes goat, pig, chicken, Twink and then back to goat again and it continues in that cycle

Almost Orwellian in it's all encompassingness.

Advertisement