Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

A few things:

1. The use of ''liberal'' as a dirty word, and apportioning blame onto the ''PC do-gooders'' for, well, just about everything. I guess the taxi-driver-style rantings and pseudo-fascism of certain posters grates on me the most.

2. People complaing about feminism when they don't have a fupping clue what it's actually about. I see absolutely no point in trying to have a debate about gender issues in AH (unless of course, it's ''feckin' Irish wimmins'' being slagged off.) And I usually don't bother posting in any such threads because as a female poster I'm either labeled ''feminazi'' or told ''Pics or GTFO''.

3. The labeling of anything remotely Republican as ''IRA-supporting"/ general arse-licking of Unionists. I'm all for balanced debate, but it appears to be quite one-sided over in Politics.

4. How it's sometimes the humor goes waaay too far, not even 'offensive' jokes per se, just a whole thread with good potential for debate, being over-run with crap jokes.

Other than that, I love you all. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Wertz wrote: »
    People who are unwilling or unable to spot sarcasm and reply to sarcastic/attempted wittiness with all the seriousness they can muster...not necessarily a boards specific problem, but we definitely have more than our fair share of members who don't seem to "get" it.

Oh and I also hate the next poster for no good reason at all.

:(

wait...

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

In answer to the OP question:
    The people who post on boards.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

People who reply saying mate or pal.

People who then reply saying I'm not your mate or pal!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

K-9 wrote: »
    People who reply saying mate or pal.

People who then reply saying I'm not your mate or pal!
    I'm not your pal, buddy!

Lots of things that annoy me, especially the anonymity, some people on here irk me by constantly relates posts/threads to their super-life which is awesome in some way. And you just kinda know they're doing this intentionally...which means they're probably a bat fastard who go out for an hour a week.
    The thanks system was annoying SOMETIMES, but it's starting to get better. I notice that people who reply with moronic answers, especially in the first post of a thread, don't get thanked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

I hate the fecking drunks. (hic)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Honestly don't hate anything about boards, I'm that sad :P

Good community.. sound people tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

jumpguy wrote: »
    I'm not your pal, buddy!

I'm not your buddy, guy!

Boards is way too PC. You cant say anything without offending someone and some do-gooders flood your thread. Also, seeing someone with like 20,000+ posts who joined a year ago is beyond sad. And posters like those thinking their internet posts and online personas are somehow popular and relevant in REAL FCUKING LIFE. No, you are a dork, go away. :P

Oh just thought of one - amazingly full-on atheists. Very condescending and belittling. But easy enough to ignore I s'pose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

What do i hate about beards?
    Nothing tbh- was thinkng of growing one.
    Some chicks dig them.

C'mon, somebody had to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

i can't stand it when people make posts without reading what's been written already and repeating something already said.
    grrr.

nibtrix wrote: »
    i can't stand it when people make posts without reading what's been written already and repeating something already said.
    grrr.

Sorry.

On the other hand, I love Terry's drunken posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

People who mix up "you're" and "your" annoy me to no end.
    The word "wimminz" is cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

- The constant incorrect use of "PC", "begrudgery" and "banana republic"
    - Always at least one person in a Personal Issues thread about a really sad, horrible situation telling the OP to cop on (the phrase "PC" tends to get thrown in there too - e.g. "I'm not going to give you the PC answer you're looking for")
    - People who think they're oh so enlightened by rubbishing any republican points of view and equating anybody at all who has republican sympathies - even if vehemently anti violence - with terrorist supporters and stereotypical Celtic fan scobes
    - Snobbery towards people from poor areas (like the current thread about the three babies being born into one family) as well as reverse snobbery where people who complain about anti-social intimidating behaviour from scobes are branded snooty ***** when they haven't even mentioned background/address
    - Extreme generalisations - obviously we all generalise a bit, but the ones I'm talking about go way beyond that

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hate the PC, Liberal, pinko one too.

People who think condemning IRA apologists means you are a West Brit or Unionist or the ace card "you know nothing about the North!" LOL

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

All the negative threads...

Not much really, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Its a free website with lots of info and advice on just about everything.

Just like the general public, you'll find you don't agree or get on with some and one or two are absolute fookwits and you'll have to hold your tongue(typing fingers).

But overall its great.

Im in the wrong thread again aren't I? :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Mod thankers.

You know who ye are...

Brown nosers...

Or maybe they just agree with them?
    K-9 wrote: »
    People who think condemning IRA apologists means you are a West Brit or Unionist or the ace card "you know nothing about the North!" LOL
    Ah how could I forget "west Brit"?!

- People who are bitterly obsessed with mods

And as someone else mentioned, the thanking system. Most of the time it's fine but every now and again people use it to take sneaky digs at people - if you've got something to say, just ****ing say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Agrred I really hate the IRA apologists, who want the brits out and are Celtic till they die.

Oh and the Walter Mitty posters, and we all know who they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

All the Circlejerk and Brown Nosing, the place is full of it. A mod posts a comment and gets 5000 thanks for it, just cos (s)he's a mod.

• Advertisement

But... how do you know they're thanking them just because they're a mod? Maybe they just like the post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dudess wrote: »
    But... how do you know they're thanking them just because they're a mod? Maybe they just like the post?

I'm afraid its true. I'm here long enough to see the trend. Mods get thanked for even simple, humourless posts which is why the thanks system is flawed, maybe having a weekly limit of thanks You can give out would sort this out

I think it's in your head - most of the stuff people whinge about in relation to the thanks system is just paranoia. Like "People keep starting threads on After Hours looking for thanks"... WTF?! Really?!
    Constant whining about the thanks system and mods look very much like two things: people wanting to get more thanks, people wanting to be mods. Said people should get out more.

I'm not saying there aren't circlejerk threads and there aren't cases of sycophancy - you can be sure there are, it's pitiful. But there are a lot of imagined ones too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Perhaps if there was a limitation on the thanks button it would not be overused as much as it is .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I can't imagine why people would even want to make wisecracks (and get thanked for them) on a serious, analytical forum like AH.

State of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Dudess wrote: »
    I think it's in your head - most of the stuff people whinge about in relation to the thanks system is just paranoia.

I agree.

The thanks system isnt flawed. The way I see it is, if someone hits the thanks it generally means 'I agree', 'thanks, thats a good point', or 'thanks for the lol'. If that is really so hard to grasp, then its how you interpret it that is flawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Abigayle wrote: »

The thanks system isnt flawed. The way I see it is, if someone hits the thanks it generally means 'I agree', 'thanks, thats a good point', or 'thanks for the lol'. If that is really so hard to grasp, then its how you interpret it that is flawed.

I find it really handy.

You can express admiration, agreement, or thanks by clicking a button.

Godsend for lazy bastards, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Abigayle wrote: »
    I agree.

Exactly, interpretation is the key .
    Also thanking somebody or being thanked for the sake of it is pointless .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

stovelid wrote: »
    Godsend for lazy bastards, really.

Well this is it really. If the thanks system wasnt there and someone made a decent point, you'd have about 5 pages of people quoting the same quote just to agree with it. Same for an amusing post, you'd have several pages of 'lol's. It bascially just cuts back the crap. Well, with the exception of AH, its always full of crap ;)

• Advertisement

As I said, I only dislike it when people use it in a sly manner to get personal with someone, by not actually contributing any post, just thanking others who are having a go at the person in question... spit it out, tosser!

But that's rare - and it's their problem if they aren't able to construct their own post or posts. :)

Advertisement