Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCN Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

what?

who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Well it's certainly off topic. :P

Down The Jacko tonight with the dog. Loads of people walking dogs and I noticed there's also a lot of sh!te about too. Seriously, can ppl not pick up after their mutts? I noticed though there's no bins down The Jacko. I had to put up with the smell of sh!t for about 7 mintues before I found a bin to dispose of the lovely bag of poo.

Got my hair cut today in Peter Marks (ooh starting to sound like my life story being documented here) and the place was dead. The hairdresser said business is really bad at the moment. Apparently a lot of places on the Main Street of Swords including one pub and a shop are doing very badly indeed. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Larianne wrote: »
    Apparently a lot of places on the Main Street of Swords including one pub and a shop are doing very badly indeed. :(

It's really sad to see the main street dying on its feet, it used to be the heart of Swords.

I cycled down North street the other day and jeez, that area is like a ghost town. Almost eerie.

Yeah, I wonder if they got a big store to go into the old Taylor's shop and maybe bring business back into place. Just hope it won't be another fast food shop! (but probably!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Had a great day shooting up in Courtlough yesterday.

Very professional place and a nice way to spend a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I live in The Blackhills, but work in Bern in Switzerland (a roundtrip commute of 2,432km). Speaking of which:

I have a long commute to work. About 700mtrs..... every F***N day for the last 29years but I am mighty grateful in these times to have a job.

Its actually quite visable aroud the place to see the people out of work, it must be tough on them. Where is it all going to end. Like other small towns Rush is also now starting to feel the pinch. And I heard at work Fyffes have just won a big contract which could have disasterous knockon effects for local producers as the contract was for supplying Supervalue who are supplied by McGee and Sons in Rush who get the produce from local growers, and here today I hear "Hello" money being mentioned on the News at 1. Thought that was illegal.
    I have to pay a supermarket chain to stock my produce and pay for advertising and pay new store levies? THIS NEARLY CALLS FOR A THREAD ON INSISTING BUYING ONLY FRESH IRISH PRODUCE.

Are the bears still in the middle of Bern? Was there about 1985, put out of some pub, HArrys or Buddy's for singing,, didnt realise all the pictures on the wall were of the royal family:):). We were grand singing Spancil Hill but the Barman nearly hasd a stroke when someone sang "A NATION ONCE AGAIN".

My email has been down for nearly 3 weeks so just catching up now.

I have noticed buying a few bits for camera kit that the price of quite a bit of stuff has come down. I bought a remote cable for €59 and it was £65 in U.K.

Worth shopping around. Areduction in V.A.T might help things and put people back where at least they feel they can afford to shop local.

My wife was visiting people up north on Sunday and went to Sainsbury on way home and while she noticed a lot less cars from down here she also felt the price difference had closed quite a bit.

Hope my email stays working now. I missed Boards this past while

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

LeoB wrote: »
    Are the bears still in the middle of Bern? Was there about 1985, put out of some pub, HArrys or Buddy's for singing,, didnt realise all the pictures on the wall were of the royal family:):). We were grand singing Spancil Hill but the Barman nearly hasd a stroke when someone sang "A NATION ONCE AGAIN".

The bear pits are being done up at the moment. The old ones are pretty grim to say the least. There's only one bear left & he's in the zoo at the moment. The new pits are opening on 24th October & they're bringing in a female too. Actually, the new pits are quite cool. They're even including part of the river Aare in the enclosure so that the bears can take a swim.

As for the bars - there are two "english" bars - Mr Pickwick's & Nelson's. Both are cr@p & neither are at all "english". If you started singing rebel songs it wouldn't be a bother because the former is run by a dutch guy & the latter by an indian. I prefer the local Berner bars tbh.

Gurten beer ftw!

The bar was in Interlacken. One of the lads definatley thinks it was Buddy's Bar. Remember a girl from Galway driving a jaunting cart around.

We were staying in Lauderbrunnen. It was a funtrek holiday. Great crack and the beer was Rugenbrau, which we bought by the case. Now bear in mind I was 21 with a group of lads and off we go the stadium in Berne, the Neckerdorff or something and low and behold down come a waitress with a tray of beer. Heaven or what. Frank Stapleton missed open goal from 3 yards that bit was hell.

Beautiful place but a lot of it is a blur:). Intend going back that way sometime. There was a crispness about the place, green and clean.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Don't know if there's any Leaving Cert peeps here, but good luck to them this morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

and off we go the stadium in Berne, the Neckerdorff or something

That would be Wankdorf where Young Boys FC play. :eek:

If you ever see anyone in Skerries wearing a "Young Boys Wankdorf" t-shirt - that'll be me. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

If you ever see anyone in Skerries wearing a "Young Boys Wankdorf" t-shirt - that'll be me. :D:D

I'll keep an eye out! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Trouble down at the harbour in Rush last night, few of the lads out drinkin celebratin their results, they were soon joined by a Garda Raid fan.

Oh Iv now got a full Leavin Cert..ish after 2 tries, haha. Still failed Irish though.. fs.

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    Trouble down at the harbour in Rush last night, few of the lads out drinkin celebratin their results, they were soon joined by a Garda Raid fan.

Oh Iv now got a full Leavin Cert..ish after 2 tries, haha. Still failed Irish though.. fs.

That yourself ? :D

Did mine 9 years ago and the thought of it still gives me shivers!! Ugh.

Id rather not say :P I was never phased by the big exams.. which is why I did soooo badly:rolleyes:

At least ye have a piece of paper....... I never did any exams. Left school to join the P&T, job for life, Civil service, pension and all that stuff.

I saw a girl getting her results the other day and my heart went out to her, she was like death warmed up, trembling. I actually went over to her and said "dont worry its only an exam, nobody has died" The pressure must be really hard to cope with. I dont like the way we in general are so judgemental of the students and how they perform in exams. Do we put to much emphasis on the exams?

I have said it her previously, that most of the teenagers are really good, you would be happy to say they are from your patch. Most of them are fairly well rounded and I think we should judge them more on their ability to be logical and communicate. Not that I am anyone to speak but I have seen lads at work who have all sorts of degrees but neither the communication skills or the cop on to fix things when things go belly up.

See Katie Taylor will be in the London Olympics, Any female boxers around thes parts? Would really like to pass you all compliments!!!

Jeasus you could be arrested, I can see it all now Moderator wanted urgently for DCN. Some old dear could have a stroke if she saw ya, (if she was quick enough:)

Thats the stadium ok, think the one I mentioned is in Gelsenkirkin. Memories are made of this:). I actually kept a t-shirt from that trip but do ya think I can find it?

The Swiss really enjoyed having us there. About a month before the English fans went on the rampage. The people were a little worried but once they saw the Irish fans around the city before the match and the fun they were having there was a very good atmosphere.

When I was in Malta on Honeymoon the hotel recptionist was full of praise for the Irish fans. Her way of complimenting them was by saying "The Irish have great mothers", The fans come and sing and drink and then sleep and when they wake they start all over again" They are good people to send their fans here. Well raised. This was lovely to hear especially as we had a few English in the hotel. Malta was used during Italia 90 as a base for the match in Cagliari. The few English fans who were there went on a bit of a rampage.

I'm going to Malta in less than 2 weeks. WhOOoOo. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Holidays, now there's an idea..

• Advertisement

I'm going to Malta in less than 2 weeks. WhOOoOo. :D

Great place.:D:D Amazing history. I was there in 1995. Make sure to have a decent camera with you. Places like Dingli cliffs, Popeye village , Mdina where the caseing of a bomb from W.W.2 still sits in the church where it landed and didnt go off, The grand harbour in Valletta. The vibrant colours of Marsallox(spelling error) You have to take a bus trip they are all about 50 years old, just like you would see on an old picture postcard, immiculatley kept. Take a trip to Gozo if you have time. If you like silver or lace you will get some really good stuff there. Also the market at Ta'Quali is very good. Got a watch there for £7 and it only got broke last year. Let us know how you get on

The people are really nice also.

Yeah I'm going to Malta first and then Gozo for some diving. haven't heard a bad word said about the place.:)

Meabtalls tonight.

Had a great time in Malta and Gozo. Defo want to go back again. :)

Bloody freezin here!! :eek:

Had a great time in Malta and Gozo. Defo want to go back again. :)

Bloody freezin here!! :eek:

Post a photo or 2. Mine are in the attic somewhere. We had a heatwave when you were away did ya not hear? Will have to dig a few out.

What was your favourite place?

The harbour in Rush was stunning last night with a lovely moon over the sea. Brought my camera tonoght and guess what the Moon was not half as clear as last night. Maybe tomorrow.

Great to see so many out walking on the beach without the hassle of cars speeding up and down.

Really strong visable Garda presence around last night and tonight. Quite a few cars pulled in. The residents complaints must be paying off.

Really strong visable Garda presence around last night and tonight.

Now THAT I noticed! I know its a weeknight and all, but the streets were spookily quiet, and as you said, a really strong visible Garda presence. Will that be kept up when its needed? (the weekends?)

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    Now THAT I noticed! I know its a weeknight and all, but the streets were spookily quiet, and as you said, a really strong visible Garda presence. Will that be kept up when its needed? (the weekends?)

Well if people keep complaining and lobbying the Garda presence will remain. Very noisy last wek end with cars speeding most of Saturday and Sunday night.

Bringing my daughter to Camogie match this morning about 9.30. seemed a fairly serious crash at the church. The roads are quite slippy these mornings.

Beach in Rush yesterday were lovely. Loads of people out walking and swimming, kids jumping off the harbour wall and people out in Canoe's. Great to see it.:)

• Advertisement

Post a photo or 2. Mine are in the attic somewhere. We had a heatwave when you were away did ya not hear? Will have to dig a few out.

What was your favourite place?

I liked both places but Gozo won just coz it was quieter and the place I stayed, Maria Giovanna Guesthouse, was just superb. I definitely want to go back. I had a bit of an ear mishap and only dived the once but it was at the Blue Hole which is one of the best dive sites in the world so that's okay. I'll just have to go back next year. :D

Advertisement