Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCN Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Will have to get some of my photos out and scan in 1 or 2 of them. The vibrant colours of the Boats in Marsalocks?? The fine lace and silver......... Dont think I will go back yet. Italy again next year with some preplanned photo excursions before I go.

Have a busy week so so think it will be before Monday or Tuesday of next week before I put any of my Maltese photos up, if I can they are huge file sizes. Off to London next week end. Staying in Kensington, no not the palace. But I do hope to get quite a few photos when I am there. Anyone recommend 2 or 3 good locations for photographs before I go?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Well Leo - Am hoping to get to Wankdorf tomorrow to get my 'Young Boys' t-shirts. Any last minute orders? :D

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Well Leo - Am hoping to get to Wankdorf tomorrow to get my 'Young Boys' t-shirts. Any last minute orders? :D

Listen here H.B. you will get yourself arrested. :D Imagine me going in to coach the Junior Academy this evening or my Daughters Camogie team, or should I say my daughters former camogie team with a "Young Boys" Wankdorf T-Shirt.

Enjoy your trip. Interesting on Radio yesterday listening to the price of tickets and the way the F.A.I block sell the tickets. Is it expensive to go to Wankdorf stadium? Or to a swiss match? Jeasus Id love a Swiss roll.

London was great last week end, scorching hot, my (our) first time away without kids. It was like detox time. No Mammy or Daddy in the ears.

After a lot of sifting through boxes of photos these 3 photos might interest Larianne. They were taken on my honeymoon in 1995.

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]3979788123_f02f7b9020.jpg[/EMAIL]">

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]3979763691_dac75c16b9.jpg[/EMAIL]">

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]3979752841_9bce4a4d9c.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Really vibrant colours mixed with bleached landscapes in places and interesting architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Those photos are fab! love the colours in them. Is the middle one at Dingli Cliffs?

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »
    Those photos are fab! love the colours in them. Is the middle one at Dingli Cliffs?

Yeah from half way up a hill from what I can remember. The colour of the water is amazing. not to mention the boats:)

Heard Tesco are moving a lot of jobs from Turvey to England:mad:. Eddie Stobart taking over their distribution. Another kick in the rocks for North Dublin

They have a big poster up thanking their staff for making £££millions and then let a load of them go. What a cheek.

So, What price are we really paying for getting Northern prices in the Repbulic of Ireland? So much for their logo every little helps.

Will get some facts about Tesco at work and post them in a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I think its terrible that in the past the SW system has been so abused by {insert own choice of word, mine would prob get me banned!} and now, those who have paid their taxes and insurance and given something to the society in which they live are the ones being penalised. What makes it more annoying is that the SW are the very ones who allowed their system to be abused and taken advantage of!

And before I go any further I want to clarify I am not targeting any one group - regardless of colour or creed there are just generally far too many people who had it far too good on SW for far too long. our own were head of the queue and the reason why others jumped on the bandwagon.

I am all for giving to those in need - my father was a child of a single parent in times before SW and i would never again wish for any child to experience that kind of hardship - but when you get hundreds of euro for a pram, and then 6 mths later can ask AGAIN for that allowance and BE GIVEN IT that is disgraceful.* :mad: When you can be given a house for €18 a month, totally wreck it, council and SW say nothing, and then GIVE YOU ANOTHER ONE!!! that is disgraceful. :mad: When you get free bin tags and STILL don't put out your bins, allow festering rubbish to build up, and attract rats (my neighbour does exactly this) then I am not surprised that Fingal can no longer afford to give out bin tags! I have even heard that some enterprising individuals sell their €8 tags for €5!:eek:

And it is this type of behaviour that means that now genuine people really need the help they cannot get it. I have called it abuse of the system, but really its not, because the system allows it! provided you know how to play said system.

The only people not affected by this recession are those who have been on SW their whole lives.

and I am not surprised to find that Clare Daly is the only one kicking up about this - she is the only one prepared to go the distance for causes she believes in. Not many others would spend a couple of nights in mountjoy for any cause. Fair play to her - its more of her kind we need.

*I actually stood next to a woman (Irish) at a taxi rank. She had a very good quality buggy and many many many shopping bags (none fo them from Penny's! River Island, Debenhams etc). When taxi came, her and the friend packed all the bags into the boot but there was no room left for the buggy. "Ah just leave it" was her decision..."I've had it 8 mths, I'm due an new one from the dispensary by now - I'll just say it was robbed or somethin" :eek::eek::eek: to which her friend laughed and said "how many is that now that've been robbed?? about 4?? last one you got money for paid for your new coffee table!!! ha ha ha" says yer one, "ah yeah, but sure it all proves that I live in a dangerous area so they might rehouse me quicker!" much laughter ensues from both. Me and taxi driver exchange shocked glances! And this is not an tall tale, I heard it with my own ears!

Cant agree more. In my last post I tried to be diplomatic and not point the finger at any one section of the community.

The simple fact of the matter is we are being screwed left, right and centre. I see the hardship of elderley people as a result of others making or being allowed silly claims. It sickens me to see whats happening.

People who have nver contributed to anything are getting everything they want, rent paid, clothing allowance(?), prams and buggies, bring utility bills to s/w and get them paid. Think its high time people woke up and picked up the phone. It has to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

and I am not surprised to find that Clare Daly is the only one kicking up about this - she is the only one prepared to go the distance for causes she believes in. Not many others would spend a couple of nights in mountjoy for any cause. Fair play to her - its more of her kind we need.

Could I point out that virtually every councillor contributed to the debate on the bin waiver scheme in the council chamber. The matter can be viewed online at http://www.fingalcoco.public-i.tv/site/ Go to "full council October 12th" then "index point" followed by item 27. (Windows Explorer only, doesn't seem to work in firefox)

I suppoae she came up with a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

LeoB wrote: »
    I suppoae she came up with a solution?

I'm sorry, I must have missed that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

yep the SW system is crazy.

a big loop hole is co-habitting single mothers.

they get money for being a single mother and practiclly have the house paid for but their partner lives with them.

i have heard a story first hand that the boyfiend would go as far as buying a pink toothbrush and hide his clothes in the kids toy box as to avoid being caught.
    thw sw system has to be overhauled big time.

there is money in this country . there is no reason why so much money is being given out to people who dont deserve it.

Martron wrote: »
    thw sw system has to be overhauled big time.

there is money in this country . there is no reason why so much money is being given out to people who dont deserve it.

Agree but who is going to put their head above the paraphet?

Bit like the insurance add where we are told the fraudlent person is putting their hands in our pockets well this is the same but they are taking a lot more.

you are totally right.

in england there is a large campaign about cracking down on benefit thieves. i would not even know where to start over here.

i think if there was a system over here where you could report benefit fraud people would use it more as hard working people are fed up of being taken for a ride by SW abusers

Dont know if anyone listened to Myles Dungan on the Radio this morning, (he was sitting in for Pat Kenny) but they were discussing Graffiti. Hope we dont have a big upsurge in this "art form" with all the kids off school.

yeah i see the freshly painted whit wall of the house at the back of the scout den got hit again.

techbically it is art . but i think its an eye sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

you are totally right.

in england there is a large campaign about cracking down on benefit thieves. i would not even know where to start over here.

i think if there was a system over here where you could report benefit fraud people would use it more as hard working people are fed up of being taken for a ride by SW abusers

Happy to help you with that one Martron. Here's a link to the details you need on the Dept of Social Welfare Website:

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/reportfraud.aspx

Eoineo wrote: »
    Happy to help you with that one Martron. Here's a link to the details you need on the Dept of Social Welfare Website:

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/reportfraud.aspx

i wonder if they advertised this more would they get better results

• Advertisement

i wonder if they advertised this more would they get better results

If they dont know its going on the are pretty thick. The will is not there at most levels in some depts to anything about it.

But I do think if it were advertised properly it would make a difference. One suggestion I have heard is people claiming unemployment benefits who have not been living here more than 8 years should have to sign on 3 days a week and their passport would be the only form of I.D accepted. This would stop people living abroad and only collecting their money every few weeks. Also payment should be suspended if not collected within 48 hours. They are on the breadline?

And Ryanair I hear are expecting delivery of new planes in December and February. Wonder will they bring any new jobs to North Co. Dublin? Michael O'Leary says he could create 1,000 new jobs in Dublin but having flown with Ryan Air twice to London I was amazed when my friend pointed out non of the stewardess's were Irish. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Leo I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that you can claim and only collect your money every few weeks.

If you're on the dole you have to claim in the post office every week with your passport as ID. You can't not claim it because if you leave the money there it gets returned to social welfare after 3 working days. Okay so the B'Briggan welfare office isn't open (reports say there will be one in the new year) but you still have present yourself & photographic ID to get your payment every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭sashasdad

Leo I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that you can claim and only collect your money every few weeks.

If you're on the dole you have to claim in the post office every week with your passport as ID. You can't not claim it because if you leave the money there it gets returned to social welfare after 3 working days. Okay so the B'Briggan welfare office isn't open (reports say there will be one in the new year) but you still have present yourself & photographic ID to get your payment every week.

After receiving payments for six months you can apply to have the payment made directly to your bank account. Which in fairness isn't a bad idea as if your like me your bills are paid via direct debit from your account. Those getting payments made to their bank account therefore only have to make an appearance once a month when they sign on and considering the length of time Balbriggan has been without an office there has been nothing to stop people living outside of the State, for what something like nearly a year now, and still receiving weekly dole payments to their bank account.
    I still find it hard to believe that Revenue and Social Welfare systems don't 'talk' to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Is it just me or was there less bangers and fireworks going off this year?

there were less fireworks this year

A sad indication of the sex lives of DCN regulars? I hope not. :o

I believe its quite common to have it paid to bank account so you actually dont need to be there every week. This has led to massive fraud as uncovered by Prime time and various newdpapers.

People in my opinion should have to sign on the register 3 times a week like years ago IF there is a possibility they may not actually in this juristiction while claiming payment.

Depends on where you were:) The streets were quiet o.k

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

local youf's spent the day setting up a 'medium sized' bonfire on the green space between Tara Cove and Clonard Court, but as the evening set in and the fire was lit, a Garda van arrived followed by the Fire Brigade - result = fire was lit, brigade moved in and spoilt the fun :(

• Advertisement

Nodster wrote: »
    local youf's spent the day setting up a 'medium sized' bonfire on the green space between Tara Cove and Clonard Court, but as the evening set in and the fire was lit, a Garda van arrived followed by the Fire Brigade - result = fire was lit, brigade moved in and spoilt the fun :(
    Same happened in Mourne View in Skerries. :)

Advertisement