Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Boy Racer" Crackdown

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

De Hipster wrote: »
    The sweeping generalisations in this thread show serious levels of contempt for a dubiously tagged section of society & are verging on the same educated and knowledgeably informed levels usually demonstrated by extreme unfounded racism.

Take the weekend deaths/serious injuries for example;

• Man in 50s killed while walking – no mention of the driver profile
    • Man in his 20s lost his life in a single vehicle incident at Ballydooley – no mention of vehicle type
    • A man in his 40s died when the lorry he was driving crashed off the main R190
    • A motorcyclist, also in his 40s, died in a head-on collision with a car
    • A motorcyclist in his 30s was killed when he crashed on the Crossakiel circuit
    • A woman in her 50s was in a serious condition yesterday in Cork University Hospital following a road traffic incident (she was horse riding & hit by a truck)
    • Three bikes collided in Co. Fermanagh seriously injuring two of the riders on early hours of Sunday morning.

Three single-vehicle incidents resulting in death; 20-something, 30 something & 40 something, vehicles – car, bike and truck respectively...those are the facts where is the proof that the majority of road deaths are attributable to boy-racers?

Was just coming on to post similar.
    The stats above as horrible as they are really go a long way toward proving the RSA's point on boy racers and their Slow Down Boys campaign is falling wide of the mark, as a means of cutting road fatalities...
    No young women killed at all...the one female that did die was badly injured, was riding a horse, not sitting in a passenger seat.

A large proprtion of those incidents happened on Monaghan roads...any of you who've ever driven on them know that they're not the best; narrow, twisty and turning, some surfaces being in horrible states of repair...and at this time of the year the height of the growing season for trees and hedges, visibility on roads like this can drop significantly...especially when local councils don't cut them back.

But by all means, keep blaming the drivers in the baseball caps, if that's what makes you feel better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

De Hipster wrote: »
    My point is that you are making sweeping generalisations and then defending them in relation to your kids.

I understand that parents are naturally protective of children and are sometimes prone to irrational fears when it comes to their children, but you seem happy to ignore middle-aged drivers, elderly drivers, incompetent or drunk drivers and focus your fears around a supposed group of 'boy-racers' who in all likelyhood pose as much or as little danger as any other group of road users.
    I never said that boy racers were the sole cause of accidents and each of the above groupings (old, drunk, pre-test full licence holders etc) all need to be tackled, one at a time. I did my test in 1980, passed first time and think I'm a great driver. In the interest of cutting down on the carnage, I would not object if a law was passed tomorrow requiring me to re-test every 5 years or similar. I just think the mind-set of boy racers does not rest easy with being in control of a car on a public highway.

It's not speed, because from what I can see, a wheelbarrow moves faster than some of these things, it's a question of posing and lack of concentration on the road. It appears to be all about checking that someone is watching you, rather than you watching what you are doing. I want all accidents to decline and each group has to be tackled, including the ones I belong to.

As I said before I welcome and embrace the differences in people such as their taste in music, fashion, food, politics etc, but the road is an area of concern for communal safety and not a place for one person to express their individuality at the expense of others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...a couple of things come to mind:

One thing the RSA continually foist on us, and which is completely wasted, as the shock & awe ads....
    1. The target audience of most of those ads - young'n'foolish, etc - won't be at home when they are broadcast
    2. Their parents, gaurdians, will. If you're trying to give them a heart attack ! - you're doing a great job
    3. The ads are generally stereotypical. The falseness and general condesending attitude of the one with the summersaulting Civic comes to mind - I'm surprised Honda haven't made a case of it ! Remember when Renault did ? Either way, that audience ain't watchin' RTE1

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

draffodx wrote: »
    So legislation that means the garda has to actually test the noise level of an exhaust can only be a good thing.
    Is there new legislation for this?
    My Integra Type R will pass it no problem, whereas the idiots driving there corollas up and down my local town with there dust bins on the back wont so that can only be a good thing.
    Is 3.5 k revs loud enough to cause a nuisance? How many revs would the corolla dust bins make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

RLJ wrote: »
    Is 3.5 k revs loud enough to cause a nuisance? ...

Depends on the exhaust it's being pushed through, doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Maybe it's just me, but, I can't remember the last time I met a "stereotypical boyracer" driving wildly, and I would be on the road a lot during the week/weekends. I could generalize by saying old folks mainly would be my personal grievance, for generally not keeping the pace with other motorists around them.

As far as i can see, "boy racers" sit around in filling stations late at night, and cover the place in rubbish.

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Depends on the exhaust it's being pushed through, doesn't it?
    i don't know., do not understand much about cars. i object to noise but could not care less re modifiers who don't make noise. Everyone has a right to a hobby but not if it interferes with others

:rolleyes: my exhaust is quieter than most diesels yet simply because I drive an Integra Type R I will get branded by that and not by the way I behave on the roads.
    not by me;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

not by me;)

:confused::confused:

• Advertisement

:confused::confused:
    i mean i have no issue with your enjoyment of your car so long as your exhaust is quiet i.e you won't be branded by me;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

I wonder how our Ferrarri owning friends will cope with the 80 decibel noise limit!!?:eek:

thats one most of us dont have to worry about!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

The guards had a checkpoint outside my house last evening. (not the TC) It was a joke.
    The boy racers congregate in the filling station next to me nearly every night and, yes i have to admit, at times the noise can be annoying. Not all the time, but yes, the noise is there.
    Now, while the lads and ladies with the big bore exhausts make some noise, they are usually gone by 12pm and there is very very rarely bad driving and wheel spins, racing and taking off in groups etc.
    So, on Tuesday evening, I noticed that all the lads and ladies with the boy racer label, were nowhere to be seen.

Last night i watched as the Guards stopped one single car - a modest scuby with tinted windows.
    It was ruby in color and very tastefully modded (upgraded wheels, slight tint on the windows and a very quiet exhaust). I didn't recognize the car, so it wasn't local.
    Anyway, for the duration of their stay, all of 20 minutes, that's all that happened.
    They waved all other traffic through the checkpoint.

They questioned the driver about the percentage of tint on his front windows.
    As soon as he left, without a ticket, the Guards left also.

I thought to myself....."that is effective Gaybo!" Langer!

cashmni1 wrote: »
    The guards had a checkpoint outside my house last evening. (not the TC) It was a joke.
    The boy racers congregate in the filling station next to me nearly every night and, yes i have to admit, at times the noise can be annoying. Not all the time, but yes, the noise is there.
    Now, while the lads and ladies with the big bore exhausts make some noise, they are usually gone by 12pm and there is very very rarely bad driving and wheel spins, racing and taking off in groups etc.
    So, on Tuesday evening, I noticed that all the lads and ladies with the boy racer label, were nowhere to be seen.

Last night i watched as the Guards stopped one single car - a modest scuby with tinted windows.
    It was ruby in color and very tastefully modded (upgraded wheels, slight tint on the windows and a very quiet exhaust). I didn't recognize the car, so it wasn't local.
    Anyway, for the duration of their stay, all of 20 minutes, that's all that happened.
    They waved all other traffic through the checkpoint.

They questioned the driver about the percentage of tint on his front windows.
    As soon as he left, without a ticket, the Guards left also.

I thought to myself....."that is effective Gaybo!" Langer!
    if youre not happy why don't you contact the superintendent? What is a scuby? a subaru?

i mean i have no issue with your enjoyment of your car so long as your exhaust is quiet i.e you won't be branded by me;)

Ah i see, thanks! :D

Ah i see, thanks! :D
    no problem i recognise people right to hobbies including cars but ones hobby can't make life miserable or dangerous for others

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I am a boy racer, leave me alone :mad:
    And my car makes noise :cool:

if youre not happy why don't you contact the superintendent? What is a scuby? a subaru?

Yes a subaru.
    The noise isn't that bad at all, you can just hear them going up and down to the garage.
    Anyway, it seems that someone else called the Guards. I personally couldn't be bothered.

mick.fr wrote: »
    I am a boy racer, leave me alone :mad:
    And my car makes noise :cool:

Stealth Boy Racer in a 5 series ;), no one would ever cop that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

I fully support the introduction of the noise pollution law as long as it targets the proper cause of nuisance to the general public and not people like me.

I live on a proper little race track in North County Dublin. My house is just off the main road so I am affected by noise pollution from modified exhausts, often in the early hours of the morning. The current laws regarding noise from modded exhausts needs to be enforced for such reasons.

Also a point has to be made about the quality of the noise, listening to V8's, screaming V10's, bmw 6's or an Alfa V6 is completely different sound to a choked 4-pot hatchback. Its similar to good or bad music being played at the same volume.

Situations like this leads to the misconceptions that its only modded cars drive too fast in built up areas, they do, but so does practically everyone else. Two minutes observing traffic outside my gaff will confirm this.

One thing in favour of enthusiasts who mod their cars, at least they appreciate the privilege of being licensed to drive, I daresay much moreso than a distracted soccer mom in a SUV

As usual the RSA are doing their usual 'never let the truth get in the way of a good witch-hunt' routine. The answers to deaths on the road are not obvious or easy to fix, and scapegoating will not solve the problem.

/rant:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

there is significant difference between the boyracers and car-enthusiasts, in terms of exhaust system modification, my ITR is fitted with straight-through exhaust(performancewise) which is quite loud over 3200revs, therefore everytime im driving in town i try to keep it under those revs so im not annoying ppl living in there, but boyracers fit those exhaust to their well underpowered cars just to make noise driving up and down down the road...
    the whole campaign should be aimed at people making noise in towns and cities, u can have a loud exhaust system and still keep it quiet, it depends how you drive it!!!!

• Advertisement

In fairness there are performance exhausts out there which will allow greater efficiency while still restricting the noise output. I have not heard of them being put the a noise test however. HKS make one, Silent Hi-power they call it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Mr. darragh

have you dyno tested your ITR since you fitted your performance exhaust,
    sorry but its costing you power,unless you have complmented it with many many other fuel and air flow modifications.
    the only easy easy way to get a bit of extra power from a vtech engine is to fit some stle of induction kit and advance the timing a few degrees,

placebo effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

TBH i don't think it'll make a damn bit of difference.

Over the last weekend in Galway all i could hear at night was a group of honads banging off the rev limiter as much as possible on the dual carriageway and also on the GMIT stretch towards the old lantern pub. (saw them at the shop also)

The RSA should just sponsor track days so they can get it out of there system or write the cars off. Either is good by me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ferris wrote: »
    In fairness there are performance exhausts out there which will allow greater efficiency while still restricting the noise output. I have not heard of them being put the a noise test however. HKS make one, Silent Hi-power they call it.

had one of these syatems on my Evo 5, very effective while not being too restrictive.

sorry but its costing you power,unless you have complmented it with many many other fuel and air flow modifications.
    the only easy easy way to get a bit of extra power from a vtech engine is to fit some stle of induction kit and advance the timing a few degrees,

placebo effect

sorry but i wouldnt say its losing power at all, a simple bolt on and bolt off of an exhaust system onto an Integra Type R will result in more power.

ive seen dyno testing of before and after fittings which took place in Westward Engineering in Enfield within 30 mins of each other.

Honda's DOHC vtec engines make decent gains with exhaust onlys mods, although i do agree that you will get more power with CAI (Cold Air Induction)and a simple remap with something like a unichip or properly set up vtec/fueling controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The 70% light thing is just a direct copy from the UK where the police regularly pull in drivers and order the tint removed. If it can't be removed on site then the police impound the vehicle, the owner then has to pay for the removal of the tint and the impound fee.

We say that if you take the driver out of the souped-up tint-mobile and put him in a non-tint car, he's still a problem. This is true, but at least this problem can now see everything going on around him ;) Put him back in his tinted cave and he might not see a motorbike at a cross roads, if visibility is poor he will see even less making him more of a risk, at least with untinted windows the little spa has some chance of seeing what's ahead of him and hitting the brakes on time.

The loud exhaust thing is a social menace and as has been pointed out, the weekend parade of prats in glammed up butch saxos and civics driving up and down the town square over and over again, revving the socks off the car for effect is not only a menace in terms of noise pollution but adds to road congestion and is a danger because these guys nearly always slow to a crawl, floor the accelerator to bring the car to 50 kph, then jam on the brakes again hoping that they've given the driver in front a fright :rolleyes: It also makes crossing the road unpredictable for adults and children.

So loud exhausts and tinted windows going is a good thing imo.

kceire wrote: »
    had one of these syatems on my Evo 5, very effective while not being too restrictive.

Cheers man, toying with the idea of doing some subtle mods to my s14.

TBH i don't think it'll make a damn bit of difference.

Over the last weekend in Galway all i could hear at night was a group of honads banging off the rev limiter as much as possible on the dual carriageway and also on the GMIT stretch towards the old lantern pub. (saw them at the shop also)

The RSA should just sponsor track days so they can get it out of there system or write the cars off. Either is good by me.

Does anyone else here think that that is a Great idea?

I think it is a brilliant idea. How much are they spending on advertising, when they could pay Mondello for x amount of open days for guys to "try out" their cars.
    Ok, there will be issues to iron out, but this is the kind of diverse thinking that the RSA should be looking at.
    Get them on side, rather than insult all male drivers.
    RSA have to start producing proper ideas to thier campain rather than this usual scare mongering muck and copy cat the UK sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

placebo effect

im planning to get i dyno'ed after i do few more mods
    got the j's straight through racing exhaust system with 4-2-1 mainfold , after i got it fitted i felt a noticable difference in acceleration, im getting CAI soon with maybe remap after all the mods are fitted, but there is defo power difference from the stock system,
    i was actually thinking of getting this stuff to keep the noise down when power is not needed:

here's the item on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XFORCE-VAREX-MUFFLER...p3286.m63.l1177

and here's the video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hraGOKzB-4w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

As much of a nuisance that these boy racers are; what about all these morons on the road using mobile phones? There's absolutely no justification for this beahviour, yet it's rampant on our roads.
    I think it is a brilliant idea. How much are they spending on advertising, when they could pay Mondello for x amount of open days for guys to "try out" their cars.
    Why should my taxes pay for balooba to act the maggot on a race track. If these people can afford to pay for and soup these cars up, they can afford to pay for time on a race track.

As much of a nuisance that these boy racers are; what about all these morons on the road using mobile phones? There's absolutely no justification for this beahviour, yet it's rampant on our roads.Why should my taxes pay for balooba to act the maggot on a race track. If these people can afford to pay for and soup these cars up, they can afford to pay for time on a race track.
    Agreed, this is true, but my point still remains. Your tax dollars are still paying for silly media campaigns and balooba is still messing around in garages and speeding up and down streets. This could be a different approach - something different. I'm not necessarily saying that the track day will sort all, but it’s a start in the RIGHT direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Stealth Boy Racer in a 5 series ;), no one would ever cop that :)

Ok I tried...
    Still I love my wheel, loud music, my resonator delete, custom cat/muffler and driving fast :D when conditions allows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

This Law may be a slight problem for me.

I have an Evo 5 and I'm kind of at stage 1 mods (3 Inch exhaust systems, Cams, Induction kit)

I have a Blue Flame Exhaust and it is quite Loud. but the Engine bat is seriously loud too. I don't think even a standard Evo V is less than 80 Dpls (more like 90)

I Suppose I can get a Mid box silencer for it.
    Paid in the swiss though

if the RSA are so worried about my car being noisy then maybe they should pay to have a silencer fitted that wont restrict the air flow.

grahambo wrote: »
    This Law may be a slight problem for me.

I have an Evo 5 and I'm kind of at stage 1 mods (3 Inch exhaust systems, Cams, Induction kit)

I have a Blue Flame Exhaust and it is quite Loud. but the Engine bat is seriously loud too. I don't think even a standard Evo V is less than 80 Dpls (more like 90)

I Suppose I can get a Mid box silencer for it.
    Paid in the swiss though

if the RSA are so worried about my car being noisy then maybe they should pay to have a silencer fitted that wont restrict the air flow.
    and maybe if you don't want to stop making noise you should be put off the road altogether

mick.fr wrote: »
    Ok I tried...
    Still I love my wheel, loud music, my resonator delete, custom cat/muffler and driving fast :D when conditions allows.

They haven't copped me in my 5 either :)

and maybe if you don't want to stop making noise you should be put off the road altogether

Well I don't see why I should have to buy another exhaust.
    The one I bought is not just some bean can back box, It's a full 3inch turbo exhaust and was quite expensive (approx €590 including fitting). I bought it for performance reasons and not to make noise.

I would have absolutly no problem in changing it over to a quieter HKS system, but because the exchange rate is muck at the moment getting one of those in from Japan will be exceptionally expensive. IE €800+. I dont see why I should have to foot that bill? Why didn't they make everyone aware they were planning to do this? I would definatly at the time forked out the extra cash for the HKS system had I known about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I dont see why I should have to foot that bill?
    Because it's YOUR car
    Why didn't they make everyone aware they were planning to do this? I would definatly at the time forked out the extra cash for the HKS system had I known about this.
    They're telling you now...and you have 6 months.

Does anyone else here think that that is a Great idea?

Ok, there will be issues to iron out, but this is the kind of diverse thinking that the RSA should be looking at.
    Get them on side, rather than insult all male drivers.
    RSA have to start producing proper ideas to thier campain rather than this usual scare mongering muck and copy cat the UK sh1te.
    Why should my taxes pay for balooba to act the maggot on a race track. If these people can afford to pay for and soup these cars up, they can afford to pay for time on a race track.
    Agreed, this is true, but my point still remains. Your tax dollars are still paying for silly media campaigns and balooba is still messing around in garages and speeding up and down streets. This could be a different approach - something different. I'm not necessarily saying that the track day will sort all, but it’s a start in the RIGHT direction.

Sponsoring track days wont make a blind bit of difference, the people that drive up and down the towns causing a nuisance of themselves are not one bit interested in going and doing a track day, they barely have an interest in cars.

All they want to do is attract attention by making as much noise as possible in areas where "young wans" will see them or there mates will see them with there new neons on there Micra.

A track day would have no attraction to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

wats the story with boy racers in tuam

bloody eejits with their blow off valves

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

do they get a kick out of that 1.3 litre engine revvin it up or something?

ninty9er wrote: »
    They're telling you now...and you have 6 months.

Really?

As I understod it this was going to be an immediate thing?

• Advertisement

Really?

As I understod it this was going to be an immediate thing?

Its never an immediate thing in Ireland, even when they say it is :D

The law as it stands now means that a Garda can do you on exhaust noise now simply if its too loud in his/her opinion anyway as far as I know.
    wats the story with boy racers in tuam

bloody eejits with their blow off valves

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

do they get a kick out of that 1.3 litre engine revvin it up or something?

Yes they do, same in my local town, ejits with big bore exhausts on fiestas and 1.3 civics and corollas revving them up, and the new thing is the blow off valves, the "butterfly" sound effect one on n/a cars! 819_rolling-vi.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The law as it stands now means that a Garda can do you on exhaust noise now simply if its too loud in his/her opinion anyway as far as I know.

I don't really now if they can as there's no official law and some cars are loud as standard...

steve06 wrote: »
    I don't really now if they can as there's no official law and some cars are loud as standard...

There is an official law, I contacted the Garda press office about it and they emailed me a link to it, that was months ago but I'll see if I still have it

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

I've seen the points in earlier posts that the a*seholes with the FWD Civics, Focus, etc are the boyracers are those who are an annoyance in the neighbourhood (agreed), while the guys who drive the RWDs such as AE86s etc modify them for the love of it and don't make much noise when driving. Ever drive on a country road on a Monday morning and see the rings of rubber at every junction??? - hmmm, RWD I think and not at 3000rpm I think :D

Maybe the windows being tinted is so that they won't be blinded by the other boyracers who put the Merc style headlamps (except much brighter, you know the blue-ish ones) on thier cars - don't tell me they want to be like the executive "boyracers" :D

What's the dB level measured from a pub with the DJ playing on a Sat night?? Can the neighbours sleep? Thats another one for the boys in blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What's the dB level measured from a pub with the DJ playing on a Sat night?? Can the neighbours sleep? Thats another one for the boys in blue.

Someone on octane posted that the dB level on their wheelie bin while being wheeled is higher than most cars!

I know,

I hope they plan on measuring the noise levels on buses and trucks and super cars too.

And while they are at it maybe they could measure the noise level on the trains that run at the back of my house that are exceptionally noisey.

On the brighter side of things though, I have sourced a silencer box that I can fit to my exhaust which won't cause any back pressure build up and will reduce the exhaust noise by few Db's :)
    At least it not going to cost me a fortune :)

• Advertisement

I've seen the points in earlier posts that the a*seholes with the FWD Civics, Focus, etc are the boyracers are those who are an annoyance in the neighbourhood (agreed), while the guys who drive the RWDs such as AE86s etc modify them for the love of it and don't make much noise when driving. Ever drive on a country road on a Monday morning and see the rings of rubber at every junction??? - hmmm, RWD I think and not at 3000rpm I think :D

unfortunately rwd cars like silvias, altezzas and cheap bmw's are now within the price range of the arseholes and the interest in drifting as a sport has brought about idiots on the roads doing rings, I cant see the point? its neither fun nor skillful.

any genuine enthusiasts will keep it to the track or private yards away from public places.

I live in a very quiet area and there ends up being rings on the roads that are in the middle of nowhere but theres house's beside where its being done, coming home late one night I came across 3 Latvian(LV?) registered cars doing rings on a junction, called the gardai but they done nothing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Maybe the windows being tinted is so that they won't be blinded by the other boyracers who put the Merc style headlamps (except much brighter, you know the blue-ish ones) on thier cars - don't tell me they want to be like the executive "boyracers" :D

You mean xenon?

You know alot of cars come with these as standard?Not just mercs

jackncoke wrote: »
    You mean xenon?

I think the trouble with retro fitting them to older cars is that the lenses weren't designed for xenon bulbs and scatter the light all over the place hence sometimes being blinding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I think the trouble with retro fitting them to older cars is that the lenses weren't designed for xenon bulbs and scatter the light all over the place hence sometimes being blinding.

I was just pointing out that its common enough to come as standard on some cars..they are very annoying however when not fitted properly and become blinding

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

jackncoke wrote: »
    You mean xenon?

Sorry I forgot to say "mercs, etc", I know they're fitted to lots of cars as standard now but they don't f*cking blind you on them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement