Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

"Boy Racer" Crackdown

145791012

Comments



  • I would like to see some stats on the ratio of modified vs. regular car crashes. I bet it is the regular ones that crash more. But the Boy Racer will always get more press coverage.




  • Cabaal wrote: »
    Now your generalizing towards older ages, both you and I and the statistics know that people in accidents at the weekends and the like are generally in their 20's, the facts don't lie on this

    While they may not all be "boyracors" the fact remains that this age group has a higher chance of accidents then other groups and this is also the age group that the vast majority of boy racers exist in so the actions being taken make sense

    Well put it this way. The statisitics are broken into age catagories. 18-25 has the highest death rate, around 15% of all road deaths. Lets say that half those (being very very generous) are driving modified cars, thats only around 7% of all road traffic accidents a year. Hardly worth getting your knickers in a twist when you consider drink related deaths amount for around 30% of all deaths on the road.




  • I would like to see some stats on the ratio of modified vs. regular car crashes. I bet it is the regular ones that crash more. But the Boy Racer will always get more press coverage.

    Which would be useless without statistics to put it in perspective. Like percentage of modified cars to average cars, mileage driven compared to normal cars, areas and times driven etc....




  • not really, Im not a statistician but I would say the vast majority of road deaths/fatal accidents over the last 10 plus years would fit the typical boy racer stereo type

    alloy wheels, miscellaneous valves and lsd's [not the narcotic type] and go faster stripes brigade

    going to be a barrage of bs replies no doubt, but its true...

    you have only to look at pictures of fatal accidents to notice a boy racer car a mile off.

    no harm i say, besides think of all the money that can be saved [10,000e on mods that they wont ever get back...] :rolleyes:

    I read the paper everyday and I can't remember the last time I saw picture of a fatal accident where a 'boy racer' car was involved. Not only are you not a statistician it is clear from your post that you do not know a thing a about cars, 'miscellaneous valves', what are you on about?

    Quite a lot of modifications that can be done to cars make them a lot safer, brake upgrades for example make you stop quicker. LSDs make cars handle better, lower cars (done properly) stick to the road better (and means you have to slow down on ****ty roads and around speed bumps).




  • Incidents are not really caused by replacing the exhaust, by sticking a table top onto the bootlid, by altering rim size or by tinting the windows. They are mainly caused by drivers not driving with due care for the prevalling conditions (and I'm including alcohol/drugs/tiredness in this group).


  • Advertisement


  • "Boy Racers" have no more accidents than any other category, sometimes less.
    Not that i condone dangerous driving or speeding, but i've had far more incidents and near misses with elderly and the opposite sex.

    I don't go screaming for all their heads though.:rolleyes:




  • Isn't honking your horn illegal in built up areas past a certain time at night? I live on a busy street in Dublin and some of those stupid looking Japanese import cars - white Hondas or whatever they are - speed up and down the street revving in a manner to show how loud their exhausts are. Now the noise levels are ridiculous from them - much louder than a car horn, and I have been woken up on numerous occasions by them. If there is a law to govern these noise levels, I welcome it!




  • I'd much prefer to see the Guards doing people for anti-social behaviour in their cars, rather than just targeting an easy-to-singleout group.
    Loud exhausts and tints DONT cause accidents.




  • its about time the garda sorted this issue, it is just becomming a serious problem noise pollusion , crazy driving , and probably most of theae boy and girl racers are most likely not insured as they modify the preformance of there cars but fail to tell the insurance companys ( when you are getting an insurance quote one of the main questions asked is -is your car modified in any way)




  • "Boy Racers" have no more accidents than any other category, sometimes less.
    Not that i condone dangerous driving or speeding, but i've had far more incidents and near misses with elderly and the opposite sex.

    Opinion and anecdotes given as fact, sure that's that settled then.


  • Advertisement


  • Cabaal wrote: »
    Now your generalizing towards older ages, both you and I and the statistics know that people in accidents at the weekends and the like are generally in their 20's, the facts don't lie on this

    While they may not all be "boyracors" the fact remains that this age group has a higher chance of accidents then other groups and this is also the age group that the vast majority of boy racers exist in so the actions being taken make sense

    I know I was generalizing, that was the point in my post really, to show that anybody can simply generalize any type of driver and stereotype them.

    I dont deny the fact that younger people are involved in more crashes, that can only be natural due to inexperience, a better way to combat young deaths on the roads could possibly be to completely scrap the learner permit, current driving test format and do it properly, get teaching kids how to drive in secure areas at school, teach them everything properly, dont let them on public roads until they've done so many lessons, enforce the accompanied driver rule, and update the draconian driving test we have.

    I mean who actually thinks the "he drives, she dies" campaign will have any positive effect? its just a waste of money.
    faigs wrote: »
    Isn't honking your horn illegal in built up areas past a certain time at night? I live on a busy street in Dublin and some of those stupid looking Japanese import cars - white Hondas or whatever they are - speed up and down the street revving in a manner to show how loud their exhausts are. Now the noise levels are ridiculous from them - much louder than a car horn, and I have been woken up on numerous occasions by them. If there is a law to govern these noise levels, I welcome it!

    Its these kind of people that give everyone with a type of car a bad name and I am all for them getting cleared off the roads as well.

    I drive a Honda Integra (its red though :)) and I'm just like any other normal driver out there and I hate these ejits just as much as you do but please dont generalising what kind of a driver someone is by there car type, I know loads of people who drive Civics, Integras, Evo's, Imprezas, etc who are not like the people you describe.
    I'd much prefer to see the Guards doing people for anti-social behaviour in their cars, rather than just targeting an easy-to-singleout group.
    Loud exhausts and tints DONT cause accidents.

    Yep, just make causing noise in a built up area via constantly driving up and down the built up area against the law, thats a law directly targeting the trouble makers
    tonti27 wrote: »
    its about time the garda sorted this issue, it is just becomming a serious problem noise pollusion , crazy driving , and probably most of theae boy and girl racers are most likely not insured as they modify the preformance of there cars but fail to tell the insurance companys ( when you are getting an insurance quote one of the main questions asked is -is your car modified in any way)

    Any proper car enthusiasts will inform the insurance company of performance modifications, it's actually surprisingly cheap to declare performance modifications, the people who are the cause of annoyance generally only stick on big exhausts on 1.4 cars and bodykits, lexus lights, neons, none of which improve performance but still should be declared to the insurance and I'd imagine your right, these people dont declare.

    Also due to the serious price crash on cars unfortunately some of these ejits have gotten there hands on some half decent cars so are further more tarring the image of decent car enthusiasts :(




  • it is great to hear this crackdown is comming as boy and girl racers have become out of hand on our roads with dangerous driving, noise pollusion and further more most are probably not insured properly as how many boy and girl racers dont tell their insurance companys that they have modified their car and its engine proformance ( when you ring for an insurance quote the 1st question they ask "is your car modified in any way")




  • Can someone please tell me:
    * what is a boy racer?
    * what legislation will govern this clampdown?

    tonti27 wrote: »
    it is great to hear this crackdown is comming as boy and girl racers have become out of hand on our roads with dangerous driving, noise pollusion
    nonsense!
    You are making assumptions here about their dangerous driving! I see plenty of modified cars driving safely and also plenty of standard cars (proportionately more) driving dangerously!

    However, leaving aside the ratios, etc. any driver willing to endanger themselves and others will do so regardless of the car they are driving.
    tonti27 wrote: »
    and further more most are probably not insured properly as how many boy and girl racers dont tell their insurance companys that they have modified their car and its engine proformance ( when you ring for an insurance quote the 1st question they ask "is your car modified in any way")
    Again assumptions and irrelevant to the argument under discussion.




  • The sweeping generalisations in this thread show serious levels of contempt for a dubiously tagged section of society & are verging on the same educated and knowledgeably informed levels usually demonstrated by extreme unfounded racism.

    Take the weekend deaths/serious injuries for example;

    • Man in 50s killed while walking – no mention of the driver profile
    • Man in his 20s lost his life in a single vehicle incident at Ballydooley – no mention of vehicle type
    • A man in his 40s died when the lorry he was driving crashed off the main R190
    • A motorcyclist, also in his 40s, died in a head-on collision with a car
    • A motorcyclist in his 30s was killed when he crashed on the Crossakiel circuit
    • A woman in her 50s was in a serious condition yesterday in Cork University Hospital following a road traffic incident (she was horse riding & hit by a truck)
    • Three bikes collided in Co. Fermanagh seriously injuring two of the riders on early hours of Sunday morning.

    Three single-vehicle incidents resulting in death; 20-something, 30 something & 40 something, vehicles – car, bike and truck respectively...those are the facts where is the proof that the majority of road deaths are attributable to boy-racers?




  • Yes, there are an awful lot of generalisations here but, from my point of view, a few things really get to be about boy racers.
    Firstly, the noise. I don't want to hear these yokes at 1 in the morning thank you. You have the right to keep your car in any legal condition you want but I have rights too.
    Secondly, when I hear the cars going up and down my road all night and my kids aren't home yet (they don't drive), I cannot relax with worry that something may happen if they are nearby.
    Finally, I think they way some boy drivers pose and think that their piece of crap looks well with a Heinz Beans tin on the exhaust and an aeroplane wing on the boot, shows immaturity. There is nothing wrong with being immature when you are young, but please, not when you are driving on a road that I intend to use as well.

    Not meant to offend anyone, just my thoughts




  • oldyouth wrote: »
    Firstly, the noise. I don't want to hear these yokes at 1 in the morning thank you. You have the right to keep your car in any legal condition you want but I have rights too.

    This argument could be had in relation to anything or anyone. You have kids, am I generalising when I assume that they will be noisy, annoying & loud?

    SOME modified car do have louder stainless steel or performance exhausts, not all.
    Secondly, when I hear the cars going up and down my road all night and my kids aren't home yet (they don't drive), I cannot relax with worry that something may happen if they are nearby.

    This could be seen as verging on irrational fear.
    Finally, I think they way some boy drivers pose and think that their piece of crap looks well with a Heinz Beans tin on the exhaust and an aeroplane wing on the boot, shows immaturity. There is nothing wrong with being immature when you are young, but please, not when you are driving on a road that I intend to use as well.

    Lack of taste does not endanger lives nor cause deaths, immaturity will not kill people on the roads either...bad driving and inexperience can & that's not exclusive to modified motor drivers.




  • De Hipster wrote: »
    This argument could be had in relation to anything or anyone. You have kids, am I generalising when I assume that they will be noisy, annoying & loud?
    Some kids can be that and it is up to me to ensure that it doesn't impact on others. It would not be OK for me to say 'I'm OK, so what'

    SOME modified car do have louder stainless steel or performance exhausts, not all.



    This could be seen as verging on irrational fear.
    I'll assume you have no kids. I find it hard to shut off sometimes when my kids are out at certain times or in certain parts of town. I wouldn'y be alone here



    Lack of taste does not endanger lives nor cause deaths, immaturity will not kill people on the roads either...bad driving and inexperience can & that's not exclusive to modified motor drivers.
    Immature and in control of a car is not a good mix in my opinion. Lack of taste in music, clothes, food, drink etc effects no-one and the more variety we have in people, the better for me




  • My point is that you are making sweeping generalisations and then defending them in relation to your kids.

    I understand that parents are naturally protective of children and are sometimes prone to irrational fears when it comes to their children, but you seem happy to ignore middle-aged drivers, elderly drivers, incompetent or drunk drivers and focus your fears around a supposed group of 'boy-racers' who in all likelyhood pose as much or as little danger as any other group of road users.




  • oldyouth wrote: »
    Immature and in control of a car is not a good mix in my opinion. Lack of taste in music, clothes, food, drink etc effects no-one and the more variety we have in people, the better for me

    so your saying because of some peoples tastes in cars, they are more likely to casue a crash and kill others?

    just because somebody doesnt share your taste in boring BMW 3 series or VW passats or mondeo doesnt make it right.

    your kids are just as likely to be involved in an accident while in your car as they are in any other car, exhausts dont drive cars dangerously, the person behind the wheel does.




  • I must say there is no accounting for taste. I hate in no particular order:

    Pink t-shirts
    Short Denim shorts
    Fancy Mullet haircuts
    Nike trainers with jeans
    Dinner jackets and ralf lauren shirts
    Chinos and dubes

    All the people who wear the above have egos, like to pose or generally think they look great, thankfully it doesnt make them bad drivers though.


  • Advertisement


  • De Hipster wrote: »
    The sweeping generalisations in this thread show serious levels of contempt for a dubiously tagged section of society & are verging on the same educated and knowledgeably informed levels usually demonstrated by extreme unfounded racism.

    Take the weekend deaths/serious injuries for example;

    • Man in 50s killed while walking – no mention of the driver profile
    • Man in his 20s lost his life in a single vehicle incident at Ballydooley – no mention of vehicle type
    • A man in his 40s died when the lorry he was driving crashed off the main R190
    • A motorcyclist, also in his 40s, died in a head-on collision with a car
    • A motorcyclist in his 30s was killed when he crashed on the Crossakiel circuit
    • A woman in her 50s was in a serious condition yesterday in Cork University Hospital following a road traffic incident (she was horse riding & hit by a truck)
    • Three bikes collided in Co. Fermanagh seriously injuring two of the riders on early hours of Sunday morning.

    Three single-vehicle incidents resulting in death; 20-something, 30 something & 40 something, vehicles – car, bike and truck respectively...those are the facts where is the proof that the majority of road deaths are attributable to boy-racers?


    Was just coming on to post similar.
    The stats above as horrible as they are really go a long way toward proving the RSA's point on boy racers and their Slow Down Boys campaign is falling wide of the mark, as a means of cutting road fatalities...
    No young women killed at all...the one female that did die was badly injured, was riding a horse, not sitting in a passenger seat.

    A large proprtion of those incidents happened on Monaghan roads...any of you who've ever driven on them know that they're not the best; narrow, twisty and turning, some surfaces being in horrible states of repair...and at this time of the year the height of the growing season for trees and hedges, visibility on roads like this can drop significantly...especially when local councils don't cut them back.

    But by all means, keep blaming the drivers in the baseball caps, if that's what makes you feel better...




  • De Hipster wrote: »
    My point is that you are making sweeping generalisations and then defending them in relation to your kids.

    I understand that parents are naturally protective of children and are sometimes prone to irrational fears when it comes to their children, but you seem happy to ignore middle-aged drivers, elderly drivers, incompetent or drunk drivers and focus your fears around a supposed group of 'boy-racers' who in all likelyhood pose as much or as little danger as any other group of road users.
    I never said that boy racers were the sole cause of accidents and each of the above groupings (old, drunk, pre-test full licence holders etc) all need to be tackled, one at a time. I did my test in 1980, passed first time and think I'm a great driver. In the interest of cutting down on the carnage, I would not object if a law was passed tomorrow requiring me to re-test every 5 years or similar. I just think the mind-set of boy racers does not rest easy with being in control of a car on a public highway.

    It's not speed, because from what I can see, a wheelbarrow moves faster than some of these things, it's a question of posing and lack of concentration on the road. It appears to be all about checking that someone is watching you, rather than you watching what you are doing. I want all accidents to decline and each group has to be tackled, including the ones I belong to.

    As I said before I welcome and embrace the differences in people such as their taste in music, fashion, food, politics etc, but the road is an area of concern for communal safety and not a place for one person to express their individuality at the expense of others




  • ...a couple of things come to mind:


    One thing the RSA continually foist on us, and which is completely wasted, as the shock & awe ads....
    1. The target audience of most of those ads - young'n'foolish, etc - won't be at home when they are broadcast
    2. Their parents, gaurdians, will. If you're trying to give them a heart attack ! - you're doing a great job
    3. The ads are generally stereotypical. The falseness and general condesending attitude of the one with the summersaulting Civic comes to mind - I'm surprised Honda haven't made a case of it ! Remember when Renault did ? Either way, that audience ain't watchin' RTE1




  • draffodx wrote: »
    So legislation that means the garda has to actually test the noise level of an exhaust can only be a good thing.
    Is there new legislation for this?
    My Integra Type R will pass it no problem, whereas the idiots driving there corollas up and down my local town with there dust bins on the back wont so that can only be a good thing.
    Is 3.5 k revs loud enough to cause a nuisance? How many revs would the corolla dust bins make?




  • RLJ wrote: »
    ...
    Is 3.5 k revs loud enough to cause a nuisance? ...

    Depends on the exhaust it's being pushed through, doesn't it?




  • Maybe it's just me, but, I can't remember the last time I met a "stereotypical boyracer" driving wildly, and I would be on the road a lot during the week/weekends. I could generalize by saying old folks mainly would be my personal grievance, for generally not keeping the pace with other motorists around them.

    As far as i can see, "boy racers" sit around in filling stations late at night, and cover the place in rubbish.




  • DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Depends on the exhaust it's being pushed through, doesn't it?
    i don't know., do not understand much about cars. i object to noise but could not care less re modifiers who don't make noise. Everyone has a right to a hobby but not if it interferes with others




  • draffodx wrote: »
    :rolleyes: my exhaust is quieter than most diesels yet simply because I drive an Integra Type R I will get branded by that and not by the way I behave on the roads.
    not by me;)




  • RLJ wrote: »
    not by me;)

    :confused::confused:


  • Advertisement


  • draffodx wrote: »
    :confused::confused:
    i mean i have no issue with your enjoyment of your car so long as your exhaust is quiet i.e you won't be branded by me;)


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement