Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Boy Racer" Crackdown

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It's more what the tinted windows and noisy exhausts stand for really. It's an anti-social subculture that's been allowed to flourish. I never used to see many doughnuts on the roads but there are definitely a lot more of them now. Even on a motorway that runs near my house :eek:

Even though I welcome anything that clips their wings, I don't think this legislation is going to do much. If the guards were serious about trying to catch them they'd have done something a long time ago. It's much easier to catch someone doing 60kph in a 50 zone than to curb a live version of The Fast and the Furious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Traumadoc wrote: »
    With all the talk of cutbacks its great to see money being wasted on tintometers, so people with paranoia can force young people off the road.

What difference does it make the level of tinting on a window?

As for noise, I have two neighbours one who has a Harley the other an Aston Martin, both are louder than the kid with the body modified integra. But you all know who will be tested once the money is wasted on sound meters and tintometers.

The Aston has butterfly valves that contain the noise at low revs and only come into life after a few K revs, the difference between 'grown up' drivers with loud car and 'boy racers' is consideration, or lack of in the case on the latter, my M3 makes quite a racket when it cold in the morning, I get up very early for work, I try my best to keep the noise levels as low as possible as I pull out of the estate.

Boy racers (the majority of them, I'm sure there are exceptions) go out of their way to make as much noise a mechanically possible regardless of the time of the day or night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

:Dwell if they are going to go after the honda merchants they'll have to take every bentley continental gt off the road too. When those GT's start up they wake everyone.....m3's dont even come near such is the racket of a gt........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The point has been well made by now in that if you can't see in then its nearly certain that you can't see out especially at night and in poor light therefore increasing your chances of being involved in an accident in such conditions.

good post, other than this statement which im afraid is simply BS. have you ever being in a car with tinted windows? even limo tint isint that bad. it certainly doesnt obstruct your view as some posters here would have you believe :rolleyes:

No but I work in a building with tinted windows and have been in others with tinted windows and I can promise you that you are NOT getting the same amount of light passing through the windows as without Tinted glass.

As someone else just posted, you don't wear sunglasses at night. The difference being at least with sunglasses you can see the head point your direction it may not be looking AT you but at least you know they have looked your way unlike with tinted glass you don't even have that.

im sorry but you cannot compare building windows to car tints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Victor_M wrote: »
    Boy racers (the majority of them, I'm sure there are exceptions) go out of their way to make as much noise a mechanically possible regardless of the time of the day or night.

Well in my opinion that's the definition of a Boy Racer so there's no exception.

Why do they drive up and down towns non stop, beeping at each other, making noise, "showing off"..................?

Because they want the attention!! They think they look cool. The 15 year old girls that see them think there the man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Quote from article in first post.
    Road casualty statistics from the RSA show that over two-thirds (67pc) of female passengers killed in the 10-year period 1998 to 2007 were being driven by a male driver.

Anyone have more information on these statistics from the original article?
    Seems to me that statistic is just there to make things seems worse than they actually are (dam lies and statistics) and could easily be explained by men being more likely to drive when with a woman, but obviously they wouldn't give statistics for that because it would not support their agenda as much as a hard hitting number. I support road safety but half baked initiatives like 'He Drives, She Dies' campaign are a waste of money.

Sorry for slightly off topic post.

Quote from article in first post.

Anyone have more information on these statistics from the original article?
    Seems to me that statistic is just there to make things seems worse than they actually are (dam lies and statistics) and could easily be explained by men being more likely to drive when with a woman, but obviously they wouldn't give statistics for that because it would not support their agenda as much as a hard hitting number. I support road safety but half baked initiatives like 'He Drives, She Dies' campaign are a waste of money.

Sorry for slightly off topic post.

Exactly,

I have a car and so does my girlfriend, both full licenses and yet I'd say when were going somewhere I'd say I drive at least 80% of the time despite my car being 4 times less economical than hers!

When I think about it, every other couple I know is the same, either the man is driving the majority of the time or the women doesn't even drive at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I am considering buying a car that clarkson said this about:

"And it’s just so loud. When my wife went for a spin on a balmy summer’s evening, I heard her change from fourth to fifth a full two miles away. "

Wonder if cars like that, straight from the factory will pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

As I stated earlier in the thread I'm currently working on a website and collecting information on possible discrimination of male drivers by insurance companies. If anyone has anything to contribute or would like to help out in any way, PM me.

How could Insurance companies possibly punish bad drivers whilst protecting good drivers (esp male drivers) from high premiums. At the moment, every male driver under 25 is assumed to be a bad driver and one who will cause an accident.

Something must be done - if you want to help, please do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Two words.....

"About time"

I dont see the point in spending so much money on a car and "doing it up" just so you can look cool driving, I can understand that it could be a hobbie but why spend so much money when you can put all that money together and purchase a good car. Driving fast isnt cool.....get the point like!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Damn!

And I just fitted open headers! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

draffodx wrote: »
    Exactly,

I have a car and so does my girlfriend, both full licenses and yet I'd say when were going somewhere I'd say I drive at least 80% of the time despite my car being 4 times less economical than hers!

When I think about it, every other couple I know is the same, either the man is driving the majority of the time or the women doesn't even drive at all.

Agree...

I drive a small two seater roadster, and mine misses huge merc. We went to shop for some food then got some movies from extravision today... i was driving, and we took mine car which has less space then a tin of beans!

Its just the way it works: We drive the cars and our partners are passengers...

They took part of statistic which suited them, but not represented the real thing!

every time i hear that: "he drives, she dies!" i whant to spit in to the authors face...

You take away exhoust from boy racer - he will make his stereo louder. I hope you like Dance/techno cheap crap, enjoy! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

This is not going to solve anything, they wont be able to catch them to prosecute them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Different demographic. I assume the ad is directed at girls who are getting into the souped up Puntos and being whisked away on a magical mystery tour 'round the back roads of Ireland. Somehow I can't see it working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

YES !

its about time these fcuktards got their come uppance

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

tom_ass19 wrote: »
    Two words.....

"About time"

I dont see the point in spending so much money on a car and "doing it up" just so you can look cool driving, I can understand that it could be a hobbie but why spend so much money when you can put all that money together and purchase a good car. Driving fast isnt cool.....get the point like!!

Define a good car? I suppose one without tinted windows and a performance exhaust? :eek:

And you basicly answered your own question as to why people spend big money on a car. Because its a hobby! Once again :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Having a modified car is like waving a red flag to the guards, and to those genuine enthusiasts it goes hand in hand with a lot of anti social behavior like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Vegeta wrote: »
    Sigh

How many of the fatalities they list were caused by an exhaust or a window tint. Hell how many of the cars involved even had after market exhausts or window tints?

This country is gone to ****

not really, Im not a statistician but I would say the vast majority of road deaths/fatal accidents over the last 10 plus years would fit the typical boy racer stereo type

alloy wheels, miscellaneous valves and lsd's [not the narcotic type] and go faster stripes brigade

going to be a barrage of bs replies no doubt, but its true...

you have only to look at pictures of fatal accidents to notice a boy racer car a mile off.

no harm i say, besides think of all the money that can be saved [10,000e on mods that they wont ever get back...] :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭El Che

The attack on tinted windows is ridicolous, they were using these tint meters six months ago and taking people to court despite the fact that there was NO LAW against tinted windows, and this article is proof of that.

A 50-something year old woman in a Mercedes was stopped recently for tinted windows in my town and brought up in court for it. The case was adjorned till September, as the court had another 399 cases to deal with in that one day. Waste of time, money, and resources.

The Country is predicted to be bankrupt by October and they're bringing in ****e like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭El Che

Good point but you dont see people driving at night with sunglasses on.
    I've driven at night with mirrored sunglasses on, and if they attempt to restrict tinted windows I shall drive with a balaclava and mirrored sunglasses on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Firetrap wrote: »
    Different demographic. I assume the ad is directed at girls who are getting into the souped up Puntos and being whisked away on a magical mystery tour 'round the back roads of Ireland. Somehow I can't see it working.

well, maybe yeah.

but then you hear: "He drives, she dies"...

Which just spits on all men who drive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

not really, Im not a statistician but I would say the vast majority of road deaths/fatal accidents over the last 10 plus years would fit the typical boy racer stereo type

alloy wheels, miscellaneous valves and lsd's [not the narcotic type] and go faster stripes brigade

you have only to look at pictures of fatal accidents to notice a boy racer car a mile off.

no harm i say, besides think of all the money that can be saved [10,000e on mods that they wont ever get back...] :rolleyes:

I dont know whether to laugh or cry when reading a post like this. My heart bleeds for the innocence of our average joe soap with opinions like this.

What type of modification is a valve?! Cmere lad those valves give me an extra 30bhp and make my car sound unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pounder770

Window tint regs apply to windscreen and front side windows only...rear and rear side windows are exempt...it's been the case in Germany for years,I remember asking guys there why they didn't "finish off"the tint job once...had the facts explained to me,apparently it's a tuv fail.

Loud pipes do draw attention in traffic(my bike has straight-through pipes,handy when filtering)
    Unfortunately the attention isn't always the welcome kind!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'll post this article again so people can read it again.
    Yesterday, senior officers warned owners of modified cars they have until the end of the year to comply with regulations or face fines of up to €2,500 and/or three months in prison.

Gardai will use a special machine -- a Glass Tint Meter -- to measure the amount of natural light coming into cars which must be at least 75pc for windscreens and 70pc for the rest of the car windows. They will also use a machine to measure the level of engine noise.

By law, the maximum engine noise allowed is 80 decibels -- which equates to the noise in a busy street -- with sounds louder than this level considered dangerous to hearing. Windscreen and passenger and driver doors cannot be blackened.

(crap snipped)
    If a car sitting by the side of the road has very dark tinted windows so much so that even during day time you cannot see inside then it is not complying with the law. Its doesn't matter who is driving the car. I would be dumbstruck if a car maker will produce and sell a car in a local market with ILLEGALLY tinted glass.

But what it will do is formalise the rules and regulations and provide the Gardai with a benchmark to check cars for compliance to the law.
    I have not seen any reference to it so far in this thread but can someopne please let me know which law governs the exhaust noise levels and window tint levels that will be enforced?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i would like to see those statistics, i could pretty much guarantee that the majority of fatalties are from the average type of car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

There was a rally through Meath today, plenty of cars would have exceeded the dB level stated. These cars were allowed to drive on regular roads through residential areas with no barriers etc. How come these cars aren't being pulled over. One rule for one,one rule for another. typical irish crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The average Garda can't manage to get drunk ould lads to blow into a breathyliser - how in the name of Jehovah are they going to perform a noise test which requires drive by at a certain speed and wind conditions to ensure it is consistant?

I borrowed a noise meter and at 5k rpm in my highly modified car it was reading 103dB but 10m away outside it was 88dB. At tickover inside the car it was 66dB and outside at 10m it was inaudible. I used have to wear ear plugs driving it long distances - its gone now but the deafness remains... <sob>

Im-possibeel...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

I'm not a statistician either, but I wouldn't think it would be a majority. A higher percentage, maybe, but as far as numbers go, I wouldn't think so.

Bottom line is most of the cnuts who drive around in severely modified cars should have been drowned at birth. But the law in this country is so badly constructed, all their talk about "crackdowns" is going to make fcuk all difference. There will always be some loophole for these **** to slip through, like we've seen countless time with our pedophile judges and serial rapists.

Did anyone see the boy racer who drove up the wrong side of the road at a traffic light junction with traffic island, headfirst into an innocent driver on the Blessington road on Friday night? Little fcuking cnut! I hope he dies on his own before he kills some innocent driver.

DaDumTish wrote: »
    YES !

its about time these fcuktards got their come uppance

:rolleyes:
    Having a modified car is like waving a red flag to the guards, and to those genuine enthusiasts it goes hand in hand with a lot of anti social behavior like it or not.

True, no enthusiasts denies that, What I'm saying is its totally unfair to brand everyone that drives a type of car as the same, I drive an Integra Type R and I'd imagine I would branded as a boy racer by a lot of the ill informed posters on these very boards, yet my car is completely standard, I don't cause a nuisance by driving up and down towns, my exhaust is quieter than most diesels yet simply because I drive an Integra Type R I will get branded by that and not by the way I behave on the roads.

I fully support the introduction of the noise pollution law as long as it targets the proper cause of nuisance to the general public and not people like me.

Thats strange when I see pics of fatal crashes on tv or the news its usually a bog standard car, usually followed by a statement saying a 50 year old male has crashed his car in the early hours of the morning in a single car "accident".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

draffodx wrote: »
    Thats strange when I see pics of fatal crashes on tv or the news its usually a bog standard car, usually followed by a statement saying a 50 year old male has crashed his car in the early hours of the morning in a single car "accident".

Now your generalizing towards older ages, both you and I and the statistics know that people in accidents at the weekends and the like are generally in their 20's, the facts don't lie on this

While they may not all be "boyracors" the fact remains that this age group has a higher chance of accidents then other groups and this is also the age group that the vast majority of boy racers exist in so the actions being taken make sense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement