Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Were you with a woman as well?

On topic: I'm actually surprised but pleased another furniture shop want to give it a go in the retail park. What are the chances of them making it and sticking it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

yeah, that was me. Depends on the overheads with 3 staff and reduced rent might be poss, depends entirely on the rent.

I think rent has been considerably lowered up there so maybe it is possible. All it needs now is people with the disposable income.

P.S, I still don't remember you or what you looked like so your safe for now.

cool, no furniture store in Sligo is doing great at the min, plenty of rumours about them all. The mark up on furniture used to be quite high about 2.5 or 3 fold but its come done hugely this year with a lot of places knocking things out at 1.6 With that location and bearing in mind they seem to have a lot available for immediate delivery, very popular at the min as no one wants to leave a big deposit for 12 weeks anywhere, they should do €30,000 a week maybe more. I just dont know if that will be enough to keep them going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I went into the new shop in Ballymote today.
    It's called House of Vinyl.
    Loads of rare jazz and blues records. Also cds, dvds, posters, headphones, cameras etc.
    It's a great little shop run by a very nice man. I told him about boards so hopefully he'll come and join us.

• Advertisement

magnumlady wrote: »
    I went into the new shop in Ballymote today.
    It's called House of Vinyl.
    Loads of rare jazz and blues records. Also cds, dvds, posters, headphones, cameras etc.
    It's a great little shop run by a very nice man. I told him about boards so hopefully he'll come and join us.

Fantastic,i love those old fashioned record shops! Where in Ballymote is it,i've never stopped there,only passed through?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Beside Vinnie McDonaghs shop.

Thats up beside the courthouse as you go past Perrys incase you didnt know.

Gonna have to have a proper look myself now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

jazyguy wrote: »
    cool, no furniture store in Sligo is doing great at the min, plenty of rumours about them all. The mark up on furniture used to be quite high about 2.5 or 3 fold but its come done hugely this year with a lot of places knocking things out at 1.6 With that location and bearing in mind they seem to have a lot available for immediate delivery, very popular at the min as no one wants to leave a big deposit for 12 weeks anywhere, they should do €30,000 a week maybe more. I just dont know if that will be enough to keep them going.

I don't think furniture stores will be doing well after Ikea opens up on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Mrs T, did you hear that Ikea won't be charging the equivalent sterling price? They were analysing the Irish market to see what would be appropriate pricing. Translation: We're gonna rip you off as well you SUCKERS!!

So you mean it's still going to be worth our while going to Belfast for IKEA. I'm sure IKEA in Dublin will make a fortune the first week they are open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

bobcar61 wrote: »
    So you mean it's still going to be worth our while going to Belfast for IKEA. I'm sure IKEA in Dublin will make a fortune the first week they are open.

Same distance and time from here so Belfast it will be! That's why the website is not up yet. I tried to compare but it didn't work yet. And with a year delay thanks to the wisdom of the planners (store was ready to open last year) they probaly want to make up for the loss (not from my pocket though!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Mrs T, did you hear that Ikea won't be charging the equivalent sterling price? They were analysing the Irish market to see what would be appropriate pricing. Translation: We're gonna rip you off as well you SUCKERS!!

What a surprise!! :eek: We got a new card from them in the post this morninfor the Dublin store replacing the Belfast card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

Hey just wondering does anyone know whats going to be where McDonalds use to be(top of O'Connell street).i seen them gutting the place out yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Hey just wondering does anyone know whats going to be where McDonalds use to be(top of O'Connell street).i seen them gutting the place out yesterday.

Permanent TSB are moving in.
    See http://www.sligochampion.ie/news/mcdonalds-makes-room-for-a-bank-1711256.html

It's going to be a bank, just what Sligo needs:rolleyes:
    I think permanent tsb are moving there.

It's going to be a bank, just what Sligo needs:rolleyes:
    I think permanent tsb are moving there.
    thanks,now i have to ask the question whats going to be where Pernament TSB is??

thanks,now i have to ask the question whats going to be where Pernament TSB is??

Who knows......a cafe, a furniture shop, a chemist, a shoe shop.....anything else that Sligo doesn't need.

Who knows......a cafe, a furniture shop, a chemist, a shoe shop.....anything else that Sligo doesn't need.
    def agree with that statement.Sligo is on the decline.

Not so much something opening or re-opening but i heard today from a colleague in Castle Dargan hotel that they are going to add 37 hotel rooms. Must be a good sign, if they were never full why would they add extra rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Not so much something opening or re-opening but i heard today from a colleague in Castle Dargan hotel that they are going to add 37 hotel rooms. Must be a good sign, if they were never full why would they add extra rooms?

Full every weekend, and weddings booked for next two years...not too shabby really

• Advertisement

They seem to be doing really well with the weddings, the start of September is booked every day for a wedding, even weekdays for the first week I think. I heard they are doing really good deals on weddings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Verryyy misinformed if you are of the opinion this Hotel is even close to ever being full outside of weddings, hope it lasts but definately not near full 6 out of 7 days!

I wasn't informed that the hotel was full, I just presumed it. At least they are doing well with the weddings.

Has anybody been into Cost Plus Sofas yet? I went in on Saturday the day the opened, didn't seem to be too many around and the people that were around were probably been nosey like me and not actually buying.

I didnt get a chance yet to look in but I hear two of the lads working there were in the old land of leather store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

jazyguy wrote: »
    I didnt get a chance yet to look in but I hear two of the lads working there were in the old land of leather store.

Land of Leather always sounded more like an S&M shop to me, than a place for buying sofas.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cheeky Munky

I heard they are doing really good deals on weddings though.

I called in there a few weeks ago to enquire about wedding deals and was infomred there was none! Their prices are the highest we've come across yet in the area :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I heard McGarrigales was closed down by the Inland Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Supermacs is now open in Castlebaldwin at the petrol station. :) The shop next door has been refurbished, too. No ATM, though. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Vinnie McDonaghs looks to be re-opening soon.

Not sure who will be running it though.

Advertisement