Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options
1356791

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy


    bobcar61 wrote: »
    I knew what he was sayin and I don't speak Dutch:D So it must have been in English.

    Well maybe you can explain it so as my locations of M+S were always adjusted the same ! ( to use his/her terminology ! )


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip


    jimmmy wrote: »
    With due respect, your statement ""Glad you adjusted your locations of M&S though." does not make sense in the English language, and you have failed to explain what you mean.

    I'm not going to explain myself any further to you. You are talking about the same thing in 3 threads now, so check them and find out.


  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion


    Heard about the new furniture store. I think it's meant to be set up by the same guys who owned land of leather.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61


    M&S don't just set up in the town centre. Town Centre of Enniskillen would be main street, M&S also located at the retail park in Lisburn, retail park in Omagh and Liffey Valley( which is nowhere near walking distance from Dublin City Centre)
    Back to things that are opening in Sligo...any others?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy


    bobcar61 wrote: »
    M&S don't just set up in the town centre. Town Centre of Enniskillen would be main street,.....

    They set up within walking distance of urban centres, especially if they go to smaller cities / large towns. They do not set up in warehouse type parks a few miles from a town centre. Footfall is important. Look at the towns on either side of Sligo, Enniskillen and Galway....M+S are within walking distance of the town centre , public transport facilities etc.
    I would not be surprised if M+S do open in Sligo in the next few years ...certainly enough people ( everyone from the general public to developers to the planners to the Borough council to other shops ) would want them, and there are ample sites in the town, and new car parks planned.
    Are there any other shops opening in Sligo?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61


    jimmmy wrote: »
    They set up within walking distance of urban centres, especially if they go to smaller cities / large towns. They do not set up in warehouse type parks a few miles from a town centre. Footfall is important. Look at the towns on either side of Sligo, Enniskillen and Galway....M+S are within walking distance of the town centre , public transport facilities etc.
    I would not be surprised if M+S do open in Sligo in the next few years ...certainly enough people ( everyone from the general public to developers to the planners to the Borough council to other shops ) would want them, and there are ample sites in the town, and new car parks planned.
    Are there any other shops opening in Sligo?

    Where would you put M&S seeing as there are "ample" sites in the town.
    Your using the same argument of M&S in Enniskillen and Galway. What about the other places where M&s are not in the town centre that myself and darealtulip have mentioned, do you just forget about them. Some of the have opened in "warehouse type parks" as you call them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip


    And not even at walking distance in lots of cases but a few miles from the centre!! imagine people go with a car to these places!! City slikker don't walk, unbelievble.

    As said before a lot people going to sligo or one of these warehouse places come from outside of sligo and don't walk either. Besides that a bus service would solve that big big problem for the few people that don't go shopping by car.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie


    jimmmy wrote: »
    They set up within walking distance of urban centres, especially if they go to smaller cities / large towns. They do not set up in warehouse type parks a few miles from a town centre. Footfall is important. Look at the towns on either side of Sligo, Enniskillen and Galway....M+S are within walking distance of the town centre , public transport facilities etc.
    I would not be surprised if M+S do open in Sligo in the next few years ...certainly enough people ( everyone from the general public to developers to the planners to the Borough council to other shops ) would want them, and there are ample sites in the town, and new car parks planned.
    Are there any other shops opening in Sligo?

    Have you seen the Aerial shots of Blanchardstown and Liffey Valley shopping centres before they were built?
    They were built in wide open fields with very little housing beside them.

    As sure as night follows day .... we'll check Boards.ie in year 2020 .... Carraroe area of Sligo will be the main Sligo Retail hub.
    Yes the business mix needs to be changed, too many people trying to make a fast buck importing trailer loads of furniture/tiles from china....yes they need an anchor tenant such as Tesco or M&S ... but it will happen.
    Recession 2009/2010 will sort the wheat out from the chaff.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy


    Half the town is brownfield sites , ideal for development. Ideally some place close to the inner relief road would be ideal ( for those coming by car ), and yet within easy walking distance of public transport, banks, other shops, etc The new development on Castle st ( woods ) is a bit too far from the inner relief road arteries / car parking.....but would still be preferable to industrial parks, and would greatly lift that part of the town centre. Of course the borough council would have to increase car parking spaces in the town centre. There are other sites eg beside Dunnes there is a large site for sale ( about a dozen terraced houses together ),...this would be beside the new multistorey car park for which planning permission has already been obtained. Even on the other side of the inner relief road...the Brooks hanley timber yard, or the numerous other sites nearby. All would be not too far from the public transport hub, fit in with the county Development plan, be in line with sustainable development practices and get planning if properly done.

    Re Omagh, Liffey valley + Lisburn...I have not been in the one in Omagh even though I have been in Omagh plenty of times...maybe its out in the sticks ? With all due respect, Lisburn is hardly a town centre to be copied either - ever try to get a meal there for example , or browse around the town centre there ? How many tourists / visitors do they get ? Do you want the town centre in Sligo to be like Lisburn ? lol
    The Liffey valey one is surrounded by a huge number of people and is not on a ( previously grassy ) hill in the country. The siting of shopping facilities in a city of well over a million is different to that of a town of what 19,000 people ? Dublin has the population to sustain shopping centres miles from the city centre there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip


    jimmmy wrote: »
    H Do you want the town centre in Sligo to be like Lisburn ? lol
    T

    No But I would like the retail park to be the same WITH a big supermarket. And again not only people from sligo town shop in sligo. Since there is no city at all within 2 hour drive it could work. If you look at Carrick with not 1 but two succesfull retail parks with 3 supermarkets and you look how busy it is there you should see that it works. Even though the population is smaller then sligo it does work there.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy


    Culchie wrote: »
    Have you seen the Aerial shots of Blanchardstown and Liffey Valley shopping centres before they were built?
    They were built in wide open fields with very little housing beside them.
    The suburbs of Dublin still had a far greater population / catchment area in all directions than Carraroe ever had or will have.

    Culchie wrote: »
    As sure as night follows day .... we'll check Boards.ie in year 2020 .... Carraroe area of Sligo will be the main Sligo Retail hub..

    You are entitled to your opinion, but its heading in the opposite direction, with so many units closing there / the car park almost empty. Given that Sligos population did not increase during the boom years of the celtic tiger, do you really think it will increase that much between now and 1920 ?
    Maybe the units at Carraroe will make an IDA park some day, that may be more useful....or as some Germans said it should be bulldozed and made green again, so the view from the top of historic Knocknarea is not destroyed by ribbon development all the way from Sligo to Ballisodare.


    Culchie wrote: »
    Recession 2009/2010 will sort the wheat out from the chaff.

    It already has, look at all the poorly planned empty property in outlying areas around the place, and how the countryside has in many areas been spoilt.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy


    If you look at Carrick with not 1 but two retail parks

    Sligo has 3 ( Duncans island, Carraroe, and the Cleveragh one at Argus ) but they are badly planned / too far out. If it had one decent one close to the N4 + town centre it would be better for everyone.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney


    jimmmy banned for a month for starting the same old argument all over again. In fact, you never seem to post about anything else.

    Frankly, we need a break from you.


    Back on topic everyone please :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip


    jimmmy wrote: »
    Sligo has 3 ( Duncans island, Carraroe, and the Cleveragh one at Argus ) but they are badly planned / too far out. If it had one decent one close to the N4 + town centre it would be better for everyone.

    just a note not a reaction, if allowed if not just delete this.

    Sorry forgot the very important word 'succesfull' and edit my post after your reaction.

    excusses!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie


    Well, we must have done stuff for 10 businesses in the last 2 months that have moved out of Sligo to the Old Dublin Rd or Collooney areas, and there is another 5 or 6 pending .... just off the top of my head.

    So I think the business owners of Sligo are already preparing for the change in retailing that will occur in the near future.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie


    New Barber Shop in Tubbercurry opening soon.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip


    Culchie wrote: »
    Well, we must have done stuff for 10 businesses in the last 2 months that have moved out of Sligo to the Old Dublin Rd or Collooney areas, and there is another 5 or 6 pending .... just off the top of my head.

    So I think the business owners of Sligo are already preparing for the change in retailing that will occur in the near future.

    Do you know the reason why they move out of sligo?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady


    I would say the reason they move out of town is because of access problems, it must be awful trying to get deliveries in and out of town.
    I'd say it's also cheaper....although I'm only guessing.

    There's a new shop opened in Ballymote selling records, cds and dvds.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip


    magnumlady wrote: »
    I would say the reason they move out of town is because of access problems, it must be awful trying to get deliveries in and out of town.
    I'd say it's also cheaper....although I'm only guessing.

    There's a new shop opened in Ballymote selling records, cds and dvds.

    Maybe the rent outside of sligo went down more? Only guessing aswell.

    Does the shop in ballymote have a lot?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady


    I didn't have time to go into the Ballymote shop, must have a proper look soon.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T


    Magnumlady, is your "shop" (stall) reopening tomorrow at Collooney?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady


    Mrs.T wrote: »
    Magnumlady, is your "shop" (stall) reopening tomorrow at Collooney?

    It is indeed...the kids have talked me into it.:rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle


    magnumlady wrote: »
    <snip>
    There's a new shop opened in Ballymote selling records, cds and dvds.

    Oooh, where?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey


    I wouldnt be in too much of a panic to go in.

    From what I can see it is more second hand records and the likes he is selling.

    FYI it is beside Vinnie McDonaghs where Cryans used to have the video rentals


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle


    Slidey wrote: »
    I wouldnt be in too much of a panic to go in.

    From what I can see it is more second hand records and the likes he is selling.

    FYI it is beside Vinnie McDonaghs where Cryans used to have the video rentals

    Just 'cos they're second hand doesn't mean I can't get good stuff!

    Thanks for the directions!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61


    Any business that opens up is good news whether they sell decent things or not...it's a job for someone.
    Fozzle if you ever get anything decent in it let me know:p


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle


    bobcar61 wrote: »
    Any business that opens up is good news whether they sell decent things or not...it's a job for someone.
    Fozzle if you ever get anything decent in it let me know:p

    Absolutely. Let me know if ye get helpful staff :p


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61


    fozzle wrote: »
    Absolutely. Let me know if ye get helpful staff :p

    Your saying I'm not helpful...that's low:p

    What the new place opening beside you Fozzle, is it Cost Plus Sofa?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle


    bobcar61 wrote: »
    Your saying I'm not helpful...that's low:p

    What the new place opening beside you Fozzle, is it Cost Plus Sofa?

    As far as I know it is. Anyone been in any of their stores? Know if they're any good?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61


    I've never been in them but I hear they do really really good deals on some really nice furniture.


Advertisement