Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I've never been in them but I hear they do really really good deals on some really nice furniture.

We just need people to have a disposable income to buy furniture now. Another 3 years should just about do it.

Rents must have fell very very low for someone to go at this again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The new restaurant that opened over the Strand Bar in Strandhill is called Tra Ban.. it's a seafood & steak restaurant.

Early Bird 6-7.30pm, A La Carte 6-10pm.

Closed Mondays

email - trabanstrandhill@gmail.com

Can I leave a phone number (if not, just snip it!)... ph; 071 9128402

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

The new restaurant that opened over the Strand Bar in Strandhill is called Tra Ban.. it's a seafood & steak restaurant.

Early Bird 6-7.30pm, A La Carte 6-10pm.

Closed Mondays

email - trabanstrandhill@gmail.com

Can I leave a phone number (if not, just snip it!)... ph; 071 9128402

Probably shouldn't leave it there but I see no harm so I would leave it there for the mean time. Is it the kind of restaurant where a booking would be necessary?

Probably shouldn't leave it there but I see no harm so I would leave it there for the mean time. Is it the kind of restaurant where a booking would be necessary?

I'd say booking would be advisable - it was only open a week or two when we ate there.. got there at 7pm on a Friday & had to wait about a half hour in the bar to get a free table. I'd say that once the word gets out that they're up & running, it'll be a very busy spot.

I don't mind either way if the number stays up or not - I got it off the business card they gave me & seeing as it's a new place (& something positive happening instead of news of things closing) I said I'd chance giving them some free promotion. Up to you Bobcar - you're the mod!

I already said I see no harm leaving the number there, for a few days at least in case people want to give them a call to book a table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

cost plus sofas have a decent website if anyone wants to have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

im thinking of re-opening a Petrol station on Sligo,im hoping to see quality cheap fuel.Do you think ill have the market for it??

Also cost plus are still advertising for staff on jobs.ie if anyone is interested

I still go to Sligo fuels as they were the first to strat cutting prices in Sligo. If you can beat them Dazzler I'll def give you the biz

jazyguy wrote: »
    I still go to Sligo fuels as they were the first to strat cutting prices in Sligo. If you can beat them Dazzler I'll def give you the biz
    cheers for that.Ya Sligo Fuels is a big competitor,their selling some amount of fuel out of there.i know the fellow that runs it and theres no recession with him.

• Advertisement

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    im thinking of re-opening a Petrol station on Sligo,im hoping to see quality cheap fuel.Do you think ill have the market for it??

Where would you open it. If the petrol was cheaper than the majority of the other petrol stations you would probably get my business depending on location.
    If it was 5c a litre cheaper than Sligo Fuels or the petrol station on Mail Coach Road then you would get my business if located around the town, however if it was located out of town like Coolooney, I wouldn't drive out just to get my petrol.

Where would you open it. If the petrol was cheaper than the majority of the other petrol stations you would probably get my business depending on location.
    If it was 5c a litre cheaper than Sligo Fuels or the petrol station on Mail Coach Road then you would get my business if located around the town, however if it was located out of town like Coolooney, I wouldn't drive out just to get my petrol.
    thats one of my biggest obstacles its located around 3 miles out of town on the N15.Its would be very hard to be 5c cheaper than others,fuel margins are tight enough as it is.I think promotions would be the way to get custom.

cheers for that.Ya Sligo Fuels is a big competitor,their selling some amount of fuel out of there.i know the fellow that runs it and theres no recession with him.

Really?

I can't see how a business that services primarily the commercial fleet market and construction industry with storage/bulk deliveries could escape the downturn in the economy.

I used to work in that industry for many years and job losses have been very heavy.

Culchie wrote: »
    Really?

I can't see how a business that services primarily the commercial fleet market and construction industry with storage/bulk deliveries could escape the downturn in the economy.

I used to work in that industry for many years and job losses have been very heavy.
    Sligo Fuels seems to be still going strong.They are open seven days and always seem to be busy,they have a huge advantage because they also distribute Kerosene along with their sister company,McPartland Oils,so id say they get good reductions at the refinery because their buying so much fuel.

Is it that one near cissie macs Dazzler?

thats one of my biggest obstacles its located around 3 miles out of town on the N15.Its would be very hard to be 5c cheaper than others,fuel margins are tight enough as it is.I think promotions would be the way to get custom.

I just used 5c per litre as a figure.

Would there be a shop as well, that where most petrol stations make their money isn't it?
    Most people who buy petrol more often than not pick up something else in the shop.

I just used 5c per litre as a figure.

Would there be a shop as well, that where most petrol stations make their money isn't it?
    Most people who buy petrol more often than not pick up something else in the shop.
    ya your spot on there.Most petrol stations make their margins on shop sales.There is however a lot of independent depots that make their profit on fuel only,its a very tricky game though with the way international prices go up and down all the time.

ya your spot on there.Most petrol stations make their margins on shop sales.There is however a lot of independent depots that make their profit on fuel only,its a very tricky game though with the way international prices go up and down all the time.

So would you be thinking of opening up a shop as well with the petrol station or just relying on petrol sales only?

You won't be able to survive on petrol sales unless you hit minimum 1 million litres per year. Considering that Sligo has approx 4.5 million within it's environs it's asking alot(impossible IMO), for you to capture your required litreage on the North side of Sligo. The large majority of commercial traffic is Dublin/Sligo or Galway/Sligo ...this is not only your litreage, it's also your Mars Bars and Sandwiches you need to survive.

I don't mean to burst your bubble but you need to get serious advice on this. The maintenance of a petrol station is incredible expensive, especially one thats been closed for years. You'll probably need new tanks for starters. You will get little or no price support from the suppliers until you get near that magic 1 million litre volume. Presuming you hit your 1 million litre figure (which you won't at that location :( and make 2 cents per litre nett (if you are a good operator) you'll net 20k for yourself from the fuel sales ....can you see where this is going?

As I said, get some real good advice on this.

I would consider doing a business plan on the viability of doing a business plan for opening a petrol station. It's that bad... the mark-up is terrible & most garages survive from the profits of their off-shots of food, magazines, fags etc.. basically, a petrol station is a newsagents that sells petrol as a way to draw the punters in to buy other things.

• Advertisement

So would you be thinking of opening up a shop as well with the petrol station or just relying on petrol sales only?
    no im thinking of opening the shop aswel.its very hard to make it on petrol profits alone unless your in it in a big way.i reckon if you had a cheap shop that sold quality groceries you would make a killing,it a sin to se all the people from the North West going to Enniskillen for their shopping.ill have to go to my business advisor and see where we go from there.

Culchie wrote: »
    You won't be able to survive on petrol sales unless you hit minimum 1 million litres per year. Considering that Sligo has approx 4.5 million within it's environs it's asking alot(impossible IMO), for you to capture your required litreage on the North side of Sligo. The large majority of commercial traffic is Dublin/Sligo or Galway/Sligo ...this is not only your litreage, it's also your Mars Bars and Sandwiches you need to survive.
    i would definetly agree with this.I plan to run a shop along with it,i dont really care too much about fuel profits,i reckon if you minimise them and have the cheapest fuel around its a great way of attracting custom to the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

jazyguy wrote: »
    Is it that one near cissie macs Dazzler?
    as far as im aware Cissie's is now closed.What ever happened the Pub and Shop here.I remember their being a club Soprano here once.It a shame to see all these local places closing down.

i would definetly agree with this.I plan to run a shop along with it,i dont really care too much about fuel profits,i reckon if you minimise them and have the cheapest fuel around its a great way of attracting custom to the shop.

I think you're missing my point.

Unless you do at least 1 million litres (which you won't at that site) which equals 35000 fuel customers per year your spanking new shop is also unviable as well.

Fridges alone will cost you approx €3500-€5000 per month just to run on ESB, regardless whether you sell a litre of milk or not.

I can tell you that the Major Oil companies would have already looked at this ... as it was an existing site.
    If they decided they couldn't make the numbers work, I can assure you that you will find it impossible to make it work either.

Sorry:o

There is now a cherry picker in the retail park car park and the signs of Land Of Leather have been taken down, maybe they will be putting up a Cost Plus Sofas sign tomorrow or in the next few days.

They have a little sign in the window saying cost plus sofas opening soon. Were you working around half 6 this evening bobcar?

Yes I was, was working 5-10? Why do you ask? Are you linked with cost plus sofas?

No not at all, but I think you served me this evening.

Really? What makes you think that? What did ya buy to try and refresh my memory?

• Advertisement

Just one of those outdoor post boxes. The puppy keeps eating the mail!

Advertisement