Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Adare2.jpg

NRA, do you see this.

this is what should be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

mysterious wrote: »
    That Adare bypass is usless.

I will be going through Adare.

That route is at least 5km miles longer and it ends at a rounabout and snakes away from the general direction of destination.

NRA. = ****ing thick.

+1

Stupid Stupid Stupid!!! :mad:

Your own route made sense, and so did the black route North of Adare. However, I'd just stick with the Black route at this stage - would adding a couple of freeflow slips at Patrickswell (to the proposed design there) cost more than the proposed rotary near Croom?

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

mysterious wrote: »
    Adare2.jpg

NRA, do you see this.

this is what should be done.

Certainly better, but do we really need that rotary with your freeflow layout (M21 East to M20 North and M20 South to M21 West) - IMO, one bridge there (instead of the rotary) with a freeflow M20 North to M21 West direct left and a freeflow loop M21 East to M20 South might do the job better than what the NRA has come up with. Also, the one bridge would allow a link to the existing N20 and therefore allow traffic from Croom to avail of the M21.

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Could someone tell me are they planning on redesignated any of present N20 North of Cork ? Also, where is the planned North Ring Road - N20 junction going to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

NRR/N20 junction will be near Killeens, there are maps here -

http://www.corkrdo.ie/n22_-_northern_ring_road_-_northern_route.php

(Junction types have changed but I cant see them changing the planned 3 level stack). My guess is it'll be M20 north from there.

• Advertisement

NRR/N20 junction will be near Killeens, there are maps here -

http://www.corkrdo.ie/n22_-_northern_ring_road_-_northern_route.php

(Junction types have changed but I cant see them changing the planned 3 level stack). My guess is it'll be M20 north from there.

Three level stack is a bloody joke. SHould be built as a Cloverleaf junction from day one.

BTW, has the route been confirmed yet. Any junctions confirmed.

Am itching to the start the M20 article on wikipedia after doing the M18 one last night.

http://www.corkrdo.ie/n20_cork_limerick_motorway_scheme_publications.php

Preliminary design pics on there, not wonderful quality so its hard to see parallel roads but thats what they're working on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

Found this on the cork road disgn office for the M20, shows all the sections on video , very cool

http://www.corkrdo.ie/m20_cork_limerick_motorway_scheme_videos.php

Nice :D

Its depressing watching it and realising that its gonna be so long before its built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Its depressing watching it and realising that its gonna be so long before its built.

For sure! What's also depressing is the disruption that will be caused by construction. How will they build it and keep the existing N20 open at the same time?

Probably Nenagh-bypass esque, basically shove all traffic to one side for a while, build the other carriageway, then swap em and do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

What's really depressing is the proposed tie-in with the existing M20/N21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Probably Nenagh-bypass esque, basically shove all traffic to one side for a while, build the other carriageway, then swap em and do the same.

Rathduff to Blarney is very wide with a number of climbing lanes so the working width won't really be too much of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Rathduff to Blarney is very wide with a number of climbing lanes so the working width won't really be too much of a problem.

Rathduff to Blarney could probably be made 2+2 in the amount of time it takes to re-line and install the barrier. The overtaking lanes are more than motorway width, while the driving lane is wide enough for a lorry to be comfortable inside it on the S3 sections.

Rathduff to Blarney could probably be made 2+2 in the amount of time it takes to re-line and install the barrier. The overtaking lanes are more than motorway width, while the driving lane is wide enough for a lorry to be comfortable inside it on the S3 sections.

The only thing is that the existing vertical geometry and to a lesser extent, the horizontal geometry, would not meet motorway standards. So there would be some substantial earthworks required in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

BluntGuy wrote: »
    What's really depressing is the proposed tie-in with the existing M20/N21.

Agreed, I was thinking about the ridiculous alignment of this scheme, and the only conclusion I could think of was that they may be planning the future N21 Adare-Abbeyfeale scheme to run from the southern section of this scheme, something like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

nordydan wrote: »
    Agreed, I was thinking about the ridiculous alignment of this scheme, and the only conclusion I could think of was that they may be planning the future N21 Adare-Abbeyfeale scheme to run from the southern section of this scheme, something like this

The alignement is stil redicoulous, I don't understand how on earth they managed to come up with this route selection its way off the journey, look how dead straight the N21 is and how redicolous the new alignment will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

http://www.corkman.ie/news/massive-potential-is-just-down-the-road-for-ballyhea--charleville-1837376.html

Interesting piece about the "potential" of the M20 for Charleville.

Interesting, but that has to be the worst written article Ive ever seen. Have they ever heard of grammar?
    The motorway will also open up the old N20 road as a location for industry and particularly for warehousing thus creating a traffic hub for the south and west where the rail head at Charleville could also be utilised to dovetail with motorised distribution to very good advantage as it is located in the middle of Munster with access to major towns and cities in the south and south-west and south-east of the province.

I'd have gotten in trouble for that back in the days when I was at school.

Edit: Its dreadful haha.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,883 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought it was a very good article for make benefit glorious transport hub.

Edit: I notice there's no name associated with the article. It was probably a slow news day and one of the editing staff had their 10 year old write an article.

Stark wrote: »
    I thought it was a very good article for make benefit glorious transport hub.

Edit: I notice there's no name associated with the article. It was probably a slow news day and one of the editing staff had their 10 year old write an article.

Looks more like an 'advertorial' written by some property developer or an auctioneer. Get in on the ground floor so to sepak...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

They do that all the time. The writing staff do very little research. They "wrote" an article about a website myself and a few friends started a year or two ago and all they did was copy and paste our PR blurb into the article and tack on two short sentences at the start. At least our spelling and grammar were correct. :rolleyes:

'Hot off the presses' from The Leader with "an exclusive"

Cash shortage halts M20 between Limerick and Cork

Published Date: 01 September 2009
    A PROPOSED multi-million euro motorway between Limerick and Cork has been postponed because of a shortage of money, the National Roads Authority (NRA) has confirmed.
    The M20 motorway project was initially due to be part of a newtranche of public private partnership projects announced in June but a spokesperson for the NRA confirmed to the Limerick Leader that construction of the road will not nowproceed in the foreseeable future.

The authority has seen its funding for newp rojects significantly reduced as a result of current economic difficulties and say though the road is a PPP project, significant state funding would still be required to proceed with the land procurement and an Environmental Impact Statement.

Sean O'Neill, head of communications at the NRA said that the M20 had been "reprioritised" due to lower traffic volumes compared to other schemes also awaiting funding. "The reprioritising of these PPP projects will affect the scheduling of the M20 but not ultimately the construction of it," he said.

The NRA's decision not to proceed with the project at this time will inevitably delay its construction by several years, especially in light of current economic constraints.

The existing N20, which the M20 would replace, is of particularly poor quality between Mallow and Croom and has seen several fatal accidents along this narrow, twisty section in recent years.

Limerick West TD Niall Collins said that the postponement of the scheme was not bad news however, given the level of uncertainty about the proposed road in South County Limerick. "In Croom, Kilmallock and Bruree there were serious concerns about access to the newroad and the affect this would have on local businesses. People were very concerned that this road would have a negative impact on south County Limerick," said the Fianna Fáil TD.

As a result of the review of PPP contracts the NRA can give no timeframe on when the M20 scheme might be resurrected stating that the "N20 Limerick to Cork schemes will be deferred to a later date".

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

'Hot off the presses' from The Leader with "an exclusive"

Cash shortage halts M20 between Limerick and Cork

Published Date: 01 September 2009
    A PROPOSED multi-million euro motorway between Limerick and Cork has been postponed because of a shortage of money, the National Roads Authority (NRA) has confirmed.
    The M20 motorway project was initially due to be part of a newtranche of public private partnership projects announced in June but a spokesperson for the NRA confirmed to the Limerick Leader that construction of the road will not nowproceed in the foreseeable future.

The authority has seen its funding for newp rojects significantly reduced as a result of current economic difficulties and say though the road is a PPP project, significant state funding would still be required to proceed with the land procurement and an Environmental Impact Statement.

Sean O'Neill, head of communications at the NRA said that the M20 had been "reprioritised" due to lower traffic volumes compared to other schemes also awaiting funding. "The reprioritising of these PPP projects will affect the scheduling of the M20 but not ultimately the construction of it," he said.

The NRA's decision not to proceed with the project at this time will inevitably delay its construction by several years, especially in light of current economic constraints.

The existing N20, which the M20 would replace, is of particularly poor quality between Mallow and Croom and has seen several fatal accidents along this narrow, twisty section in recent years.

Limerick West TD Niall Collins said that the postponement of the scheme was not bad news however, given the level of uncertainty about the proposed road in South County Limerick. "In Croom, Kilmallock and Bruree there were serious concerns about access to the newroad and the affect this would have on local businesses. People were very concerned that this road would have a negative impact on south County Limerick," said the Fianna Fáil TD.

As a result of the review of PPP contracts the NRA can give no timeframe on when the M20 scheme might be resurrected stating that the "N20 Limerick to Cork schemes will be deferred to a later date".

Ah poo! That means no Cork north ring road either. :(

Not so. The could kill the M20 but run the CNRR and N21 Adare Bypass as stand-alone scheme's with traditional contracts. Funding would be cheaper than PPP route as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Some local representative he is. What a myopic position.

As if having the current sorry excuse for a national road does the county much good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

seeing as the good bits of the road are all in Limerick anyway I guess he just doesnt want money spent in Cork where it will earn him no votes.... the N20 should be given priority before someone else dies at Ballybeg ...usage figures should surely be secondary to this criterion.

Zoney wrote: »
    Some local representative he is. What a myopic position.

As if having the current sorry excuse for a national road does the county much good!

That's the bit of the article that really struck me. More sleeveenism/gombeenism from The Soldiers of Destiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

That's the bit of the article that really struck me. More sleeveenism/gombeenism from The Soldiers of Destiny.
    still doesn't beat Ned O Keefe telling one district of his constituency that he wouldnt help them in their quest for upgrading a delapadated school as a punishment for that area not voting for him in numbers.

No wonder cork is called the rebel county. Even TDs rebel against their own potential voters!

Actually isnt Ned o Keefe the TD for that part of the world too where the N20 runs?

Advertisement