Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bailey point, Salthill

• 21-03-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Anyone live in Bailey Point? Whats it like? Any problems? Thinking about moving in there but have heard some mixed reviews.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Baileys Point seems to be cursed, doesn't have very many people living in it (it would appear) so much for the club and cinema proposed for it too, I think you could find a better place to call home somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Should be some good views from the higher floors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It was ALWAYS supposed to have a "bar and nightclub, cinema and restaurant" and the ongoing lack of a cinema ( and the lack of lights on at night) scares me, frankly ! I hate empty cinemas , they are soooo 1950s rural Ireland . I would wait until the court case is settled , its imminent .

The original court case was dismissed

Then a certain Solicitor named Michael Lynn 'appeared '
    In 2003, property developer Brian Cunningham and his wife Marian made a complaint to the Law Society after Lynn deducted professional fees of €817,747 from a sale deposit of €1.4 million held in a client account after a property sale at the Finglas Shopping Centre.

As part of its investigation, the Law Society probed six allegations made by the Cunninghams in relation to Lynn.

In addition to the professional fee deduction, the Cunninghams also claimed that Lynn had acted ‘‘negligently’’ in relation to the title of a property development at Salthill.

According to the Law Society report at the time: ‘‘First Active apparently had issued loans totalling IR£25 million but, because of the title problems, the site was now valued at only IR£15 million. The Cunninghams stated that they would be filing a claim of IR£10 million against the solicitor, the Law Society and the compensation fund.”

They also alleged that Lynn had acted negligently and recklessly in several other cases, and, that due to this negligence, they believed he was partially responsible for three of their companies going into receivership.

Despite all of this, the Law Society ‘‘came to the conclusion that the complaint made to the Society did not constitute grounds to warrant intervention,” according to Law Society documents.

In light of the recent evidence against Lynn, Cunningham and his wife have now issued a writ to recover €817,747 from the Finglas Shopping Centre sale.

This ties in with Cunningham losing the Bailey development to teh bank and with the the lease on the bar/cinema/nightclub

Unsurprisingly there is a new court case in train and being heard as a matter of urgency .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Shocking.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It is a very ugly building - I wouldn't want to live in it

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It is a very ugly building - I wouldn't want to live in it

'cptr

only topped by the Burren Mount, beside it.......:eek:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

galwaytt wrote: »
    only topped by the Burren Mount, beside it.......:eek:

YEAH!!!! WHAT IS THE STORYYYYYY WITH THAT PLACE?? What's spooky is that it's closed up completely, but sometimes you see a lightbulb on from the side windows, spooxfest I tell ya!
    It hasnt been touched in YEARSSSS, all the furniture's covered in blankets, all 60's retro style beds and all, haha! Dust bunnies galore!-put that on your breakfast toast and eat it. Another of Galways delicious sights! Just atomic bomb the place and start again, minus the boggers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

burren mount?
    pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Its right across from the car park on the prom. It looks like a giant grey soviet-era lego brick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Dont forget the 'massacre house' curtains:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I once stayed in Eastern Europe, before the Wall came down.
    The hotels there looked like Burren Mount.

Bailey Point agus Burren Mount
    dscf10647jj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

cornbb wrote: »
    Its right across from the car park on the prom. It looks like a giant grey soviet-era lego brick.

I actually like the Building, almost Art Deco...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I always liked how the building looks. Had no idea Michael Lynn was involved. Doomed, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Ive a mate living in there, and however abandoned it looks on the outside, inside its as plush a place as ive ever seen. The flats are all brand new (obviously) and well maintained. The rent aint cheap, but when you have a talking elevator (with a sexy, flirty voice) taking you to your domicile in comfort, then what matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Ive a mate living in there, and however abandoned it looks on the outside, inside its as plush a place as ive ever seen. The flats are all brand new (obviously) and well maintained. The rent aint cheap, but when you have a talking elevator (with a sexy, flirty voice) taking you to your domicile in comfort, then what matter?

You're supposed to have sex IN the lift, not WITH the lift :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Reminds me of the MI5 building in London. Are the Irish secret service operating out of Salthill?

img_6964.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You're supposed to have sex IN the lift, not WITH the lift :D

Jesus. Society and it's "Rules"...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 investsense

I am currently renting there and love the place except for the high rent but it is hard to find a place in Galway of equal stature except maybe cuirt seoige. I need a bright modern place to cheer me up after work and it does the job as does the location since it is so convenient for walking the prom. I moved there from dun na carraige because dun na carraige was just that bit too far to walk into town from there whereas I can walk into town in 25 minutes from Baily point and not have to rely on Galway's infamous public transport.

I am currently renting there and love the place except for the high rent but it is hard to find a place in Galway of equal stature except maybe cuirt seoige. I need a bright modern place to cheer me up after work and it does the job as does the location since it is so convenient for walking the prom. I moved there from dun na carraige because dun na carraige was just that bit too far to walk into town from there whereas I can walk into town in 25 minutes from Baily point and not have to rely on Galway's infamous public transport.

I think you were looking for this website www.daft.ie

daft has plenty of nice places outside the city centre , but as I said Galway's transportation network is pretty unreliable so I need a place where I can walk to everything and still feel out of the city. Basily point seems to be the best option as Knocknacarra is not walking distance and most of the city centre places are too run down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

*cough*

orlando-real-estate-agent-742795.jpg

daft has plenty of nice places outside the city centre , but as I said Galway's transportation network is pretty unreliable so I need a place where I can walk to everything and still feel out of the city. Basily point seems to be the best option as Knocknacarra is not walking distance and most of the city centre places are too run down.

Wow how informative, do tell us more:rolleyes: Is the market really that bad that you have to whore your wears here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Is the market really that bad that you have to whore your wears here?

It just cannot be easy waiting for the Bailey related court case involving Michael Lynn .

Here is the very latest news on the subject for you Bailey watchers

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2008/0712/1215787862658.html

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Court to decide if Lynn may give evidence by video-link

COLM KEENA, Public Affairs CorrespondentTHE HIGH Court is to rule later this month on an application to have video evidence heard from Budapest from absconded solicitor Michael Lynn.
    Mr Justice Frank Clarke deferred a ruling on the matter after it was raised during an ongoing case involving the Cunningham Group and First Active.
    The Cunningham Group has asked the court to accept video evidence from Mr Lynn, who does not want to return here to give evidence in person because there is a High Court warrant for his arrest. He is wanted for questioning about running up tens of millions of euro in bank debts.

Old part of this long running story about the Bailer below.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/02/08/story57000461.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Nathan251

i am thinking of moving there, 800 euros for a 1 room apartment, is that good value??? I would have liked a balcony but it doesn't have one:(...oh well they assure me it is stunning and that there is a lot of interest.....any alternatives, i want a good mdoern place, with seaview or cityview with balcony, just a nice spacious well-furnished funky place, any ideas???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Nathan251 wrote: »
    i am thinking of moving there, 800 euros for a 1 room apartment, is that good value??? I would have liked a balcony but it doesn't have one:(...oh well they assure me it is stunning and that there is a lot of interest.....any alternatives, i want a good mdoern place, with seaview or cityview with balcony, just a nice spacious well-furnished funky place, any ideas???

Add 50 squid a month and you will get a 3bed semi-d house! Maybe its just me but I prefer to have plenty of space in the house, a garden and a couple of spare rooms over an apartment with a balcony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Hey,

Just because the landlord was stupid enough to buy this overpriced property doesn't mean you have to rent it from him!

Total Properties for rent in Galway (see second large graph) - There is lots of spare capacity out there so bargin the RENT DOWN - tell them you like it but you only have 700 p.m to spend!

Or get yourself a 3 bed place for upto €100 extra..

3 beds less than 900

I am paying 1050 for a 2 bed so 800 seems a little steep. Maybe you could bargain it down to 700/750. I know Pencil said you could get a 3 bed for under 900 but not a chance of getting one near the prom and within walking distance of the city. So it depends what you are after. You could get a decent place in knocknacarra for 900 but would spend alot more time commuting etc ...Your call..

• Registered Users Posts: 28 galwayfrancis

very strange how i came about this thread, but my friends recently moved into a five bedroom house behind the two pubs there beside the hotel and their paying 900 a month! place needs a good lick of paint but nice location....anyways nite for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Down Flea lane? Nice :pac:

Make sure they see *that* car on the side of the Baileypoint. It should be the number one tourist attraction in Salthill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Just got a nice 3 bed house for 700 a month in Dangan so I think its a bit expensive, that said, I'd reckon you could haggle them down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Just got a nice 3 bed house for 700 a month in Dangan so I think its a bit expensive, that said, I'd reckon you could haggle them down

800 euro for a 1 room apartment was last year, rents have tumbled since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

That's expensive so forget them. Have a look for any vacancies in Galway Bay Apartments in Salthill, you'll get a 2 bed for cheaper and its well maintained too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I was getting pretty gripped by this thread (though I know no-one's posted on it in a couple of months). What's the story with the Bailey now?? What happened to Lynn? (the scumbag)

By the way... this is my 100th post, hurrah!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i was in there last weekend visiting friends, really nice, and the rent wasnt to bad for what it is think it was 850 for a 2 bed also had parking for 2 cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 delboy1986

What ever happened with the rest of this place or anyone know what is ment to happen with it

• Advertisement

It was eaten.

Me hungie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 oddsoxrocks

So who actually is responsible for Baily Point? Is it NAMA? For example who hired Winters Property to manage the building? It seems a bit rediculous that they are spending tax payers money to build a art house cinema in town, when ultimately the tax payer must own Baily Point by now which would be the perfect place for such a development. The place looks atrocious, I hope that Winters get the place painted at least before the Volvo Ocean Race.

Aren't most of the apts in the complex privately owned or were purchased privately - why would NAMA be involved?

Also, isn't there a cinema inside the complex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Aren't most of the apts in the complex privately owned or were purchased privately - why would NAMA be involved?

Also, isn't there a cinema inside the complex?

When you buy an apartment you normally just buy a leasehold, so the complex as a whole including the common areas will be owned by the developer, so NAMA might indeed have a say. Yeah, I heard too that the shell of a proposed cinema, was included in the building.

Predalien wrote: »
    When you buy an apartment you normally just buy a leasehold, so the complex as a whole including the common areas will be owned by the developer, so NAMA might indeed have a say. Yeah, I heard too that the shell of a proposed cinema, was included in the building.

The common areas are generally transferred to the Management Company and not held by the developer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

The common areas are generally transferred to the Management Company and not held by the developer.

But in Baily Point's situation a good chunk is unfinished commercial space, unlikely this was transferred to a property management company (who wouldn't want responsibility for it), I don't know, but there is a reasonable chance NAMA have some involvement depending on the fortunes of the development company involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

Yea its fairly ridiculous to have this place sitting there rotting away, for the rent price you would imagine a much better upkeep of the building and grounds, its very fustrating for the people who live there.

Did you know the underground car park there goes 4/5 stories into the ground? Its not even being used its just left there to rot away, its so sad really when you think of all the possibilities. We as taxpayers should really stand up and take ownership here, we are the ones who foot the bill with this and now all were are left with is some rusted old eye sore that no body wants to take responsibility for, I can think of at least 10 possible uses for the space that would better serve the community then leaving a big huge black hole in the ground to rot. Lets hope someone does something about it soon, and before the volvo ocean race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Let's start with a law change to make commerical rates payable on empty properties ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The worrying thing is Bailey Point isn't even being maintained all that well, the outside looks very shabby now, and the inside is really starting to show signs of wear and tear. The idea to put an Arthouse cinema in is a great idea, imo. Some sort of tourist office should be opened there for the summer or something too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 oddsoxrocks

The underground car park is so spooky, its often the location for whino's to go drinking. I can't believe that its 4/5 stores deep!! Apparently the car park and the stairwells leading to the car park and the grounds of the car park are separately owned and operated by TBD. (Who seem to be gone bust?) It such a shame that the building is going to rack and ruin. I hope that one of our local Councillor's or TD's are following this thread.

The worrying thing is Bailey Point isn't even being maintained all that well, the outside looks very shabby now, and the inside is really starting to show signs of wear and tear.

Indeed. I drove past the place yesterday and it looks appaling. It desperately needs to get a lick of paint prior to the VOR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

A mate has to go there sometimes with his boss who does maintenance in the underground carpark. He says it's like something out of the movie I am legend. The first level is ok but gets darker then into complete darkness as you go further down. Apparently Junkies have smashed the lights and keep doing it each time they are replaced. He says his boss won't go down there on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

Kazooie wrote: »
    A mate has to go there sometimes with his boss who does maintenance in the underground carpark. He says it's like something out of the movie I am legend. The first level is ok but gets darker then into complete darkness as you go further down. Apparently Junkies have smashed the lights and keep doing it each time they are replaced. He says his boss won't go down there on his own.

Nobody does maintenance in the underground carpark... at all....
    There was a pipe gushing out raw sewage for around 9months of the year and nobody would bother fixing so much as a lightbulb down there, so I very much doubt if there was any maintenance carried out in the past 4/5 years anyways. Would you happen to know what company it was that your mate was there with?

Junkies, yes, that does sound about right. Rife with underage drinkers too, its the perfect spot for them!

The TBD Holdings company who aparantly own that area of the building have a registered address in Mazars Place in salthill, its some kind of accounting firm, I guess that means they own it now anyways... or possibly NAMA. I just wish they would clean the shaggin thing, how can they get away with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I not gonna name names but they have to check a water pump once a month or somethin like that. He mentioned NAMA as well now that ya say it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Predalien wrote: »
    But in Baily Point's situation a good chunk is unfinished commercial space, unlikely this was transferred to a property management company (who wouldn't want responsibility for it), I don't know, but there is a reasonable chance NAMA have some involvement depending on the fortunes of the development company involved.
    ]First Active and RBS were the lenders so no NAMA involvement on that front. Ultimately the UK taxpayer could well be ultimately on the hook for this.

There were at least 10 (if not more) sets of High Court proceedings in relation to this development, going back to 2003. Interestingly, there was a judgment for costs made against Brian Cunningham personally because it was held that he was maintaining a dead company solely for the purposes of pursuing a fanciful claim against the bank.

I could guess that a receiver has the building on behalf of the bank(s) and they have been given the bare minimum to keep the place upright but that's just a guess. With the mix of privately held residential and commercial units, together with the parts that were never completed, I'd imagine the ownership structure is a mess.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement