Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bailey point, Salthill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Just got a nice 3 bed house for 700 a month in Dangan so I think its a bit expensive, that said, I'd reckon you could haggle them down

800 euro for a 1 room apartment was last year, rents have tumbled since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

That's expensive so forget them. Have a look for any vacancies in Galway Bay Apartments in Salthill, you'll get a 2 bed for cheaper and its well maintained too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I was getting pretty gripped by this thread (though I know no-one's posted on it in a couple of months). What's the story with the Bailey now?? What happened to Lynn? (the scumbag)

By the way... this is my 100th post, hurrah!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i was in there last weekend visiting friends, really nice, and the rent wasnt to bad for what it is think it was 850 for a 2 bed also had parking for 2 cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 delboy1986

What ever happened with the rest of this place or anyone know what is ment to happen with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It was eaten.

Me hungie.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 oddsoxrocks

So who actually is responsible for Baily Point? Is it NAMA? For example who hired Winters Property to manage the building? It seems a bit rediculous that they are spending tax payers money to build a art house cinema in town, when ultimately the tax payer must own Baily Point by now which would be the perfect place for such a development. The place looks atrocious, I hope that Winters get the place painted at least before the Volvo Ocean Race.

Aren't most of the apts in the complex privately owned or were purchased privately - why would NAMA be involved?

Also, isn't there a cinema inside the complex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Aren't most of the apts in the complex privately owned or were purchased privately - why would NAMA be involved?

Also, isn't there a cinema inside the complex?

When you buy an apartment you normally just buy a leasehold, so the complex as a whole including the common areas will be owned by the developer, so NAMA might indeed have a say. Yeah, I heard too that the shell of a proposed cinema, was included in the building.

Predalien wrote: »
    When you buy an apartment you normally just buy a leasehold, so the complex as a whole including the common areas will be owned by the developer, so NAMA might indeed have a say. Yeah, I heard too that the shell of a proposed cinema, was included in the building.

The common areas are generally transferred to the Management Company and not held by the developer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The common areas are generally transferred to the Management Company and not held by the developer.

But in Baily Point's situation a good chunk is unfinished commercial space, unlikely this was transferred to a property management company (who wouldn't want responsibility for it), I don't know, but there is a reasonable chance NAMA have some involvement depending on the fortunes of the development company involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

Yea its fairly ridiculous to have this place sitting there rotting away, for the rent price you would imagine a much better upkeep of the building and grounds, its very fustrating for the people who live there.

Did you know the underground car park there goes 4/5 stories into the ground? Its not even being used its just left there to rot away, its so sad really when you think of all the possibilities. We as taxpayers should really stand up and take ownership here, we are the ones who foot the bill with this and now all were are left with is some rusted old eye sore that no body wants to take responsibility for, I can think of at least 10 possible uses for the space that would better serve the community then leaving a big huge black hole in the ground to rot. Lets hope someone does something about it soon, and before the volvo ocean race

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Let's start with a law change to make commerical rates payable on empty properties ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The worrying thing is Bailey Point isn't even being maintained all that well, the outside looks very shabby now, and the inside is really starting to show signs of wear and tear. The idea to put an Arthouse cinema in is a great idea, imo. Some sort of tourist office should be opened there for the summer or something too.

The underground car park is so spooky, its often the location for whino's to go drinking. I can't believe that its 4/5 stores deep!! Apparently the car park and the stairwells leading to the car park and the grounds of the car park are separately owned and operated by TBD. (Who seem to be gone bust?) It such a shame that the building is going to rack and ruin. I hope that one of our local Councillor's or TD's are following this thread.

The worrying thing is Bailey Point isn't even being maintained all that well, the outside looks very shabby now, and the inside is really starting to show signs of wear and tear.

Indeed. I drove past the place yesterday and it looks appaling. It desperately needs to get a lick of paint prior to the VOR.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

A mate has to go there sometimes with his boss who does maintenance in the underground carpark. He says it's like something out of the movie I am legend. The first level is ok but gets darker then into complete darkness as you go further down. Apparently Junkies have smashed the lights and keep doing it each time they are replaced. He says his boss won't go down there on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

Kazooie wrote: »
    A mate has to go there sometimes with his boss who does maintenance in the underground carpark. He says it's like something out of the movie I am legend. The first level is ok but gets darker then into complete darkness as you go further down. Apparently Junkies have smashed the lights and keep doing it each time they are replaced. He says his boss won't go down there on his own.

Nobody does maintenance in the underground carpark... at all....
    There was a pipe gushing out raw sewage for around 9months of the year and nobody would bother fixing so much as a lightbulb down there, so I very much doubt if there was any maintenance carried out in the past 4/5 years anyways. Would you happen to know what company it was that your mate was there with?

Junkies, yes, that does sound about right. Rife with underage drinkers too, its the perfect spot for them!

The TBD Holdings company who aparantly own that area of the building have a registered address in Mazars Place in salthill, its some kind of accounting firm, I guess that means they own it now anyways... or possibly NAMA. I just wish they would clean the shaggin thing, how can they get away with that

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I not gonna name names but they have to check a water pump once a month or somethin like that. He mentioned NAMA as well now that ya say it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Predalien wrote: »
    But in Baily Point's situation a good chunk is unfinished commercial space, unlikely this was transferred to a property management company (who wouldn't want responsibility for it), I don't know, but there is a reasonable chance NAMA have some involvement depending on the fortunes of the development company involved.
    ]First Active and RBS were the lenders so no NAMA involvement on that front. Ultimately the UK taxpayer could well be ultimately on the hook for this.

There were at least 10 (if not more) sets of High Court proceedings in relation to this development, going back to 2003. Interestingly, there was a judgment for costs made against Brian Cunningham personally because it was held that he was maintaining a dead company solely for the purposes of pursuing a fanciful claim against the bank.

I could guess that a receiver has the building on behalf of the bank(s) and they have been given the bare minimum to keep the place upright but that's just a guess. With the mix of privately held residential and commercial units, together with the parts that were never completed, I'd imagine the ownership structure is a mess.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if there has ever been a residents committee set up for Baily Point? Its hard to see how any of these issues will get addressed without one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Wandered by here last night.
    Such a waste of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

This is a radio show made from recordings done in that carpark, I think there's 4 or 5 episodes so far:

http://curiousbroadcast.com/declan-kelly-presents-abandon-reason-episode-1/1089/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I was wondering what is going on with this place and came across the thread.
    I see our friend Michael Lynn is not having much fun :)
    http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/crime-desk/donal-macintyre-s-crime-cafe/fugitive-solicitor-michael-lynn-faces-more-time-in-brazilian-jail

• Registered Users Posts: 2 galwaycity1234

Horrible building, typical of a lot of big apartments built in Galway City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Yea, was looking at it over the weekend. . there looks like a lot of the plaster is falling off the front of the building. It'll be a real mess in a few years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Anyone know what if any plans there are for the lower floors, any prospect of them being let out to commercial tenants or are there still legal issues surrounding the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Is it seriously 4 or 5 stories deep?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You could write more books than that on it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yeah, 4 easily

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement