Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Markets **General/Annual Bumper Thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

One of the more famous Christmas Markets in Germany is the Strietzelmarkt in Dresden, my all time favourite ist the Christmas Market in Bautzen (a small town near Dresden) it's only a small market, but that's what makes it so good, it's not as full as the larger markets adn has a real christmas air about it.

In Berlin I always go the the "Weihnachtsmarkt am Opernpalais", the Christmas Market in Berlin-Spandau is also very nice.

Take a look here I'm sure you'll find something:
    http://www.weihnachtsmarkt-international.de/
    thanks for the suggestion- we looked at dresden and it was our first choice, however we found the flights there to be relatively expensive since ryanair do not fly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

Any hotel recommendations for Dusseldorf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

drunk_monk wrote: »
    My OH and I are flying to Baden-Baden with Ryanair and taking in 3 christmas markets.
    First Baden-Baden then on to Karlsruhe (20 minutes train €9.50) then on to Heidelberg (45 minutes train €9.90) then back to Baden-Baden. 3 nights 3 different markets, we can't wait :)
    More info on all of the German christmas markets can be found here:

http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/
    I have been in the marets in Nuremburg, Frankfurt, Heidelberg and Rothenburg on Der Taber. Heidelberg while being a nice city had a poor enough Christmas Market.

depending on the number of days, we spent one of our breaks in Frankfurt and Rothenburg on der Taber a fantastic medieval town - it is a straightforward enough train journey from Frankfurt. The Frankfurt market is very big and in the old part of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

lushballs wrote: »
    Any hotel recommendations for Dusseldorf?

We got a great deal in the new Radisson http://www.radissonsas.com/cs/Satellite?pagename=RadissonSAS/integration/hotelInfo&language=en&hotelCode=duszr last time we were there. It's a little out of the main city though.

www.accorhotels.com have a good few decent hotels in Dus too - worth a look and can be good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

thinking of going to the prague christmas markets in December. Has anyone been that could recommned somewhere nice to stay and what to do?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Heres a search of all previous Prague threads

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=3775348

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭pw01

Hi, i know its a little early but wanted to book flights while there still cheap!

Was thinkin Berlin or Frankfurt?

Does any1 have any experiences?Recommend hotels?Would like to go were there is a good enough nigh life as well!!
    Are they worth a visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i wouldn't bother with frankfurt for nightlife, tonnes of bars yes but nobody in them most nights :(

Nuremberg is renowed for having the best christmas market in germany, never been there though

berlin has good markets, caught the end of them last year around new years eve, there is great nightlife in berlin and tonnes of others things to see and do so if you are deciding between frankfurt and berlin then its a no-brainer imo, oh yeah and ryanair fly direct into berlin to unlike frankfurt where they leave you 1hr 30mins away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Was in Berlin myself last Christmas time (around the start of December) and had a great time. Lots of lovely German markets with hand made ornaments, foods, CHOCOLATE!!! He he!

Oh, and tonnes of clubs, pubs etc etc and a great transport system.

Berlin, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Was in Berlin myself last Christmas time (around the start of December) and had a great time. Lots of lovely German markets with hand made ornaments, foods, CHOCOLATE!!! He he!

Oh, and tonnes of clubs, pubs etc etc and a great transport system.

Berlin, definitely.

+1.

Lots to see and do besides the markets and great pubs. Train from schonfeld airport brings you right into the heart of the city and the U-Bahn is great for getting around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

lord lucan wrote: »
    +1.

Lots to see and do besides the markets and great pubs. Train from schonfeld airport brings you right into the heart of the city and the U-Bahn is great for getting around.

Definitely. There's lots of cool stuff to see. The holocaust memorial has got to be one of the eeriest places I've been.

Then you've got the Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, Berlin Wall, Kaiser Wilhelm MemorialChurch, Check Point Charlie etc etc

More than enough to keep any visitor occupied for a long weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I'm heading to Cologne, supposed to be the best christmas market in europe. Fly to Dusselforf, the train goes direct from Dusseldorf airport to Cologne (think it's direct, haven't checked that yet). The 5* Hilton is right in the centre of town, you stay there for €120 per room, per night!
    Plus, you have Koln Dom, as I said in another thread - one of the most impressive buildings in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 19bm82

hi guys,

the girlfriend was talking about going over to one of the german cities for the chrismas markets,

have to say shopping is not really my thing, but do enjoy travel etc,

would there be enough to keep me occupied.

also when do the markets get going.

any info much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

This has been discussed a few times before on here. Cologne was recommended to me by a German anyway but I still didn't get to go.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055383574&highlight=christmas+markets+germany

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

myself and my boyfriend are thinking of going to the munich christmas markets this year, we went to berlin last year and fancy something a bit colder this year...
    i've been searching around and everything is so expensive, does anyone know of a website or travel company doing good deals on flight and hotel?

me being a student we have to go really close to christmas (19th-23rd) so i think this is probably pushing the price up a little....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've been to Munich Christmas market, and thought others were better.
    TBH, I'd head to Nurnberg or Dusseldorf ahead of Munich.

Look for cheap flights to any city - and try www.accorhotels.com for cheap hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Flightwise, you can get return flights for 130 incl taxes for a pre christmas break with aerlingus.
    Ryanair are only 85 return to Memmingen and theres a bus for 16 euro each way from there so its another option.

Accomodation is as cheap as you want it (or you can have irish prices too if you are feeling rich)
    www.hrs.de is a great place for hotels in Germany. If you list by distance to the centre, and use the price sliders to elimiate the expensive hotels, you should be able to find something on a budget
    Pricewise, theres lots of choice at the 60 euro a night range and if you can stump up a few more euros, something like the swish new 4star Novotel Muenchen City is only 80 euro a night for the nights you mentioned.

If you are really skint, then hostelworld.com has hostels from 12 euros a night per person or something. Most hostels are near the main station so you wont get more central either. Wombats is only a few years old so i'd recommend it but the others are fine.

Re xmas markets, theres more than just the one on the main square Marienplatz. I actually avoid it like the plague, especially at weekends as it can get crowded at peak times of the evening or weekend (which is EXACTLY when im not at work but as a tourist you wont have this problem during the day). Theres lots of other smaller christmas markets scattered about the town, and one massive one at the octoberfest grounds that has a number of heated tents with bars and music along with the stands.

From Munich you can take a day trip to Nuremburg or Salzburg christmas markets easily too. Theres a 28euro day group train ticket for up to 5 adults called the Bayern ticket (also does undergound in Munich and Nürnberg) so if youre on a budget you can do this for cheap.

wow, thank you munchkin_utd!!!
    we booked with aerlingus and are staying at tryp munchen which i think is pretty close to the oktoberfest grounds.... also booked a day trip to salzburg which is really exciting!

have been trying to find a day trip to the black forest though and having no joy, do you know of any companies i might look up?

i can't wait for this trip, last year our days were fuelled with bratwurst, quark balls, kinderpunch (i don't drink) and plenty of hot chocolate and bier!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Who'd you book the Salzburg trip with? How much was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

If Bayern Munich are playing up at the Allianz arena try and take it in also, was there in March and even though it was -5c I had a massive time and Munich is an absolutely smashing city. Go to the "Kultfabric" area near Ostabahnhof which is a massive special clubbing and party district with great discotheques* and bars.

*Nite Clubs in Europe usually mean either a strip joint or brothel so discotheques are the equivalent of our clubs, usually with more techno and dance music.

• Advertisement

silvine wrote: »
    Who'd you book the Salzburg trip with? How much was it?

i booked with viator.com it is only 35e each for the day including your train fare!! the reviews certainly seem good and i don't think it's a massive group who go so hopefully it will be worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hurlerman

Been looking into doing the same. But I'm finding the flight options pretty miserable, I would have expected a much better range. Half the flights stop in December, others are ridiculously early in the morning, or drop you hours away from your intended destination.
    Restricted to a weekend, but still struggling to find options other than Aer Lingus (very expensive) or Ryanair.

the flights are really akward, yeah.. we are flying back on christmas eve, it worked out about 100e cheaper than coming back the day before!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Hi all, I looking into going to a christmas market this December can anyone recommend any? Went to Krakow last year and it was deadly so like to try someplace different this year. Someplace not too expensive and easily within reach from hotels, bars etc. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

I normally do Germany and am heading to Berlin this year

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Christmas markets are a massive thing in Germany. The one in Kraków is nice (I have been myself) but it is nothing against a proper, huge German market.

I really recommend the one we have in Dortmund every year. I know Dortmund is not exactly a popular tourist destination per se... but the Christmas market is famous and attracts visitors from all over the world. Every year, they build a ~45m tall Christmas tree out of thousands of real trees and put that in the center, surrounded by lots and lots of stalls selling crafts and food. Here is a link to some information:

http://weihnachtsmarkt-dortmund.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Loads of discussions on here before about them. Here is just one of them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055114286&highlight=christmas+markets

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

I went to the market in Dortmund last december.

very well organised & well run.
    Really family orientated,plus alot of decent shops in Dortmund if u fancy some retail therapy

Lived in Dortmund for 6 months,easy city to navigate around

well worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Been to both Prague and Munich. Was rather disappointed with the Munich one, which basically had the same tat as Prague on sale for double the price....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Been to both Prague and Munich. Was rather disappointed with the Munich one, which basically had the same tat as Prague on sale for double the price....

Really? :( I'm thinking of going to the Munich one, was it very disappointing?

Anyone any comments? :)

Advertisement