Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Markets **General/Annual Bumper Thread**

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

TitianGerm wrote: »
    We've decided to try Brussels this year for our first Christmas market. Also thinking of heading to Bruges one of the evenings for a few hours.

Anything else to consider?

I've never been for Christmas markets but have been to Bruges and Brussels twice and would recommend spending more time in Bruges if possible. It's very quaint and picturesque and I can only imagine that with Christmas decorations and lights it will look truly magical. It is a small city though so two days would be more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

TitianGerm wrote: »
    We've decided to try Brussels this year for our first Christmas market. Also thinking of heading to Bruges one of the evenings for a few hours.

Anything else to consider?

Bruges is absolutely magical at Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

miamee wrote: »
    I've never been for Christmas markets but have been to Bruges and Brussels twice and would recommend spending more time in Bruges if possible. It's very quaint and picturesque and I can only imagine that with Christmas decorations and lights it will look truly magical. It is a small city though so two days would be more than enough.

We're into Brussels for about 9.30 on the Friday morning and leaving at 4 on the Sunday so should be loads of time. Thinking of going to Bruges on the Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

The Christmas market in Bruges is quite small and mainly food/drink. Objects on sale are usual commercial fare, don't expect pretty unique crafts.

However the city is totally magical in the Winter, enjoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

amor3 wrote: »
    Trying to choose a city this year!

Anyone been to Tallinn? Any feedback welcome..

Edit to say, doesn't seem to be direct flights so that's ruled that out!

I flew direct from Dublin but that was a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nice city, markets are compact but have all the tat you can take and also marzipan everywhere as they claim to have invented it. But the direct flights are summer only. Connections via Helsinki are nice and short.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

I flew direct from Dublin but that was a few years ago.

Thanks.

Yeah ryanair seem to do 2 flights a week but stop end of October and start up again beginning of April. What airline did you use?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

L1011 wrote: »
    Nice city, markets are compact but have all the tat you can take and also marzipan everywhere as they claim to have invented it. But the direct flights are summer only. Connections via Helsinki are nice and short.

There's a bus takes about 5 hours from Riga. Very cheap - under 10 euro as I recall. You could travel through the night and save yourself a night's accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

spurious wrote: »
    There's a bus takes about 5 hours from Riga. Very cheap - under 10 euro as I recall. You could travel through the night and save yourself a night's accommodation.

Yeah, I did the Vilnius to Riga bus journey, about 4 hours or so and it was grand, about a fiver and the bus had free tea and coffee, toilet, wifi and a tablet with entertainment on the back of the chairs. Lux Express was the name of the company I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭AG123

There’s a group of us looking to head to a city for Christmas markets/ a good night out!! Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Where in Hamburg are you staying?

S-bahn would be the cheapest over all. If you want to go by car Moia would be cheapest. Uber would be a bit more but still cheaper than a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Anybody have any experience of the Amsterdam Christmas markets?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Mod Note : Moved to Travel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I took a train from the airport to the main train station, it was very easy.
    I stayed at the prizeotel Hamburg-city , which is in walking distance to both the train station and the Hafencity (Harbor City). It was budget but very comfy.
    However that was in the Summer; in the Winter, I would probably choose another area a bit closer to the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Anybody have any experience of the Amsterdam Christmas markets?

Thought Amsterdam would be great for Christmas markets but didn't find it a patch on the German cities. In fact, I would also put Brussels ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

ollaetta wrote: »
    Thought Amsterdam would be great for Christmas markets but didn't find it a patch on the German cities. In fact, I would also put Brussels ahead of it.

Yeah figured as much..

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Going to Hamburg for the xmas market experience. Any good bars or restaurants to suggest?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Has anyone been to the birmingham christmas markets?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Prague is meant to be good for Christmas Markets, heard that Vienna and Budapest are good too for continental ones. Bruges is another one I think do them. Best to get a recommendation of those been there to compare. Galway one probably the best Irish one. Cork, Limerick and Dublin be other options. Belfast meant to be good too. Ones in Scotland are meant to be good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cian59

Hi all,

Anyone have recommendations for hotels in Vienna for visiting the Christmas markets. Looking for something close by if possible?

• Advertisement

Cian59 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone have recommendations for hotels in Vienna for visiting the Christmas markets. Looking for something close by if possible?

I stayed at the Hilton.

it isn't exactly a budget hotel, but right next to the station so easy to get to/from the airport (although for three of us, an Uber back to the airport was as cheap as the train) and it is about a ten minute stroll to St Stephens Square.

It is also very close to the ring tram, which is fairly infrequent, but an easy way to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel for a stay in Strasbourg?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

With regard to Vienna. We stayed in the Kaiserin Elisabeth Hotel for the Christmas markets 3 years ago. Lovely hotel. Just around the corner from the Stephensdom. It was not cheap. However it was for a significant birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Louche Lad wrote: »
    I pottered around the Belfast one, in the grounds of City Hall, last year. A bit on the small side I felt (but then I've not much experience of them other than the big Birmingham one, the biggish Manchester one, and some small ones elsewhere). Some semi-interesting craft stalls, but the same sort of stuff as in other small ones in other countries, and I didn't buy anything except two beers in the beer tent.

I was a bit unenthusiastic in my last post above, but I'm now in Belfast for a few days and have just been to the Christmas market at City Hall and it somehow feels better than last year. Perhaps more or better stalls, not really sure. Anyway it feels more cheerful. And the bratwurst/currywurst stall is staffed by actual Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Louche Lad wrote: »
    I was a bit unenthusiastic in my last post above, but I'm now in Belfast for a few days and have just been to the Christmas market at City Hall and it somehow feels better than last year. Perhaps more or better stalls, not really sure. Anyway it feels more cheerful. And the bratwurst/currywurst stall is staffed by actual Germans.

Dropped in this evening for a second visit, and yes, I'm sure it's bigger. There are two beer tents this time, both large. One tent is loudly pumping out Slade and the Sweet, selling German lager in giant jugs, and a lot of "strawberry beer". I'm not ready for strawberry beer yet, so I've come to the other one, the Rumours album at a sedate level, and some proper beer (Guinness, full range of Smithwick's, others). Good atmosphere, recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

ollaetta wrote: »

Most of the Dutchies do to Dusseldorf/Cologne

Hattingen is also another one that's nice

NL isn't so great for Markets, they are relatively expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Was in Salzburg over the weekend and it was magical. Stayed outside the city in the Friesacher hotel (https://www.friesacher.com/en/). Expensive but marvellous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Got back from a few days in Amsterdam there on Tuesday and while we had a great time over there, there was virtually nothing in terms of Christmas markets, did a bit of googling before we left and it looks like they don't start until later in December and have a very limited run. That said, the Haarlem Christmas markets that run for 2 days in December were on (and rated the best in the Netherlands) so we spent a few hours out there (only 20 mins on the train from Amsterdam central) and these were great and pretty extensive. Only thing is they were pretty crowded in places but there was plenty of areas where you could get some breathing room and where the crowds tapered out a bit.

While I would certainly go back to Amsterdam (this was my second time there), I wouldn't be back specifically for the Christmas markets as they were pretty non-existent! Will probably head back to Germany next year as I think so far Munich have definitely been the best of the lot that I've done so far.

Advertisement