Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Markets **General/Annual Bumper Thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

how cheap?
    and, is it essential to be at the centre?
    And when "in december", cos its a long old month.

Theres a sale with accorhotels at the moment finishing tonight that has hotels going half price, so if you get an economy hotel that doesnt cost the earth in the first place, and half that price, its cheaper than a hostel.
    http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotels-offers/promotion-19896-.shtml

Thanks for that link but they're booked for mid December. :) City Center is important for accessibility to all attractions etc by foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,839 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Passenger wrote: »
    Thanks for that link but they're booked for mid December. :) City Center is important for accessibility to all attractions etc by foot.
    sound job.

Just asking about the city centre thing because perversly you can be quicker to the attractions from edges of the city centre by using the u-bahn or s-bahn than someone staying in the centre walking everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

If you wanted to go slightly further, you could visit Leipzig - only 1:13 hours from Berlin by train.[/QUOTE]

I looked up Leipzig and love the look of it. It looks romantic with the cobbled streets etc. We are in Berlin for 3 days (2full days) so might take a trip their on our last day if we feel we have seen all the Berlin ones.
    I have heard of Potsdam? there are many shops there ? is that where the Sony Centre is?

Sophya - I am also going the end of November. I am very excited now that we are finally in November! What area are you staying in? I am also trying to figure out where the Christmas markets worth visiting are. I am staying in Alexanderplatz and I know there is one just outside of our hotel in the square there. I have heard that these are also a few of the nicest markets :
    Charlottenburg Castle & Gendarmenmarkt Christmas Market.

I am sure you have found this website but they updated it since I last looked at it. http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/berlin_christmas_market.php

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Ms. Sunshine: Potsdam is a city just outside of Berlin, easily reached by commuter train. What you are thinking of is Potsdamer Platz ("Potsdam Square"), a square named after the city. That square is right in the center of Berlin, easily reached on foot from the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag parliament building. And yes, the Sony Center is in Potsdamer Platz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Passenger wrote: »
    Looking at Munich for December. Can anybody recommend a cheap but decent quality hotel/hostel in the center?

I'm off to Munich in a few hours & got a great rate at the Holiday Inn City Centre - €47 for a superior double. Haven't stayed there before, so I'll report back & PM you the code / booking process if you're still intending to travel.

It's on Hochstrasse, just across the river from the old town and an easy walk to the Christmas market at Marienplatz (which kicks off Mon 25th). It's also v close to the Deutsches Museum, which I'd love to hit up if I have time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭uli84

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I'm off to Munich in a few hours & got a great rate at the Holiday Inn City Centre - €47 for a superior double. Haven't stayed there before, so I'll report back & PM you the code / booking process if you're still intending to travel.

can I get that too please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

looking to go away for a few nights to anywhere outside ireland has anybody got any recommendations on where would be a good spot.

all help apprectiated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hey,

Terrific Christmas market in Brno, Czech Republic..http://brnonow.com/2010/11/christmas-market/
    It's cheap as chips there, 5* hotel for 100 a night.. beer around a euro a pop, great nightlife as well!
    Beautiful little historic city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Hi,
    Have never been Germany or to the Xmas markets and would love to hear some recommendations as to which city is best. Going for a long weekend in Devember. Flights seem to be most expensive to Munich unfortunately.
    Any tips/help appreciated.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Haven't been to Cologne, but of those three I'd pick Berlin just because there's so much other stuff to do there and to be fair, once you've seen one Christmas Market you've seen them all. You wouldn't fill a whole long weekend just traipsing around the markets.

spurious wrote: »
    Haven't been to Cologne, but of those three I'd pick Berlin just because there's so much other stuff to do there and to be fair, once you've seen one Christmas Market you've seen them all. You wouldn't fill a whole long weekend just traipsing around the markets.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

I've been to all 3 cities more than once and would pick Berlin as my favourite, and probably Munich second, though as you are only going for a long weekend I would pick the one with the cheapest flights.
    All 3 cities have more than enough to keep you entertained for a few days.

Also, after you've spent an hour or two strolling around the market you'll have had enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Berlin is by far my favourite. Have been a few times and there is so many markets to choose from around the city that you will not get bored.

The nicest one is in gendarmenmarkt. Lovely Square and lots going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Berlin!

The Mauer Park flea market is on every Sunday,it has everything. Overall Berlin is a great place with lots to see and do. Been there twice and considering moving there at some point.

http://www.mauerparkmarkt.de/?lang=en

Thanks for the replies and recommendations...flights booked for Berlin now just need a well located hotel.
    Thanks!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Park Inn on the Alexanderplatz - beside the TV tower usually has reasonable deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Mauerpark gets so horrifically crowded I'm not sure it's worth it. There are other markets, too, so Google those. One thing to be said for Mauerpark is it's in Prenzlauer Berg, the nice, gentrified part of Berlin where you might not hear German spoken for miles. Lots of nice places to eat and shop (Oderbergerstrasse, Kastanienalee, Pappelallee, Schoenhauserallee). You can walk there from Alexanderplatz if you fancy it, towards Rosa-Luxembourg Platz and the up Schoenhauserallee. The area behind Hackeshermarkt would be particularly atmospheric that time of year as it's part of the surviving old city, and then further over towards Friedrichstrasse. Interestingly, it was the historic jewel of Berlin - Unter den Linden - leading up to the Brandenburg Gate that was preserved by the Communists during the Cold War. The old, bombed out 'centre' of the Western allies' sectors are hideous by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 desperate housewife

I am interested in going to a Christmas Market in Europe on December 20th for three days. We are thinking of either Belgium, Luxembourg or Budapest. Has anyone been to those cities and visited the markets and can you recommend? We have never been to a Christmas Market but we love visiting cities in the winter, do these cities have much to do in winter time? I know the biggest markets are in Germany but we have been there numerous times so don't want to go again, looking for a new city! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Best i've been to is Copenhagen. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The topic of Xmas markets comes up a lot this time of year. Use the search tab & you should be able to dig up the posts about them for the past couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The topic of Xmas markets comes up a lot this time of year. Use the search tab & you should be able to dig up the posts about them for the past couple of years.

Some Christmas Markets threads have been merged by me.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 20,535 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

hey folks
    Just wondeirng where is the best place to go in Europe for the Chritams markets like you see in the squares in Germany and Prague ,
    HAs anyone been to any they would recommend, somewhere maybe Ryanair fly cheap ,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Schalker

The most famous Christmas market is the "Christkindlesmarkt" in Nuremberg.
    christkindlesmarkt.de/en/
    I ve been there when I study in Erlangen nearby.

But will find a christmas market in almost every German city.

Like "Striezelmarkt" in Dresden
    dresden.de/dig/en/veranstaltungen/weihnachtszeit/striezelmarkt.php

It says You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user.

So you have to add http and www yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Schalker

The most famous Christmas market is the "Christkindlesmarkt" in Nuremberg.
    christkindlesmarkt.de/en/
    I ve been there when I study in Erlangen nearby.

But will find a christmas market in almost every German city.

Like "Striezelmarkt" in Dresden
    dresden.de/dig/en/veranstaltungen/weihnachtszeit/striezelmarkt.php

It says You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user.

So you have to add http and www yourself :)

btw Ryanair flys to Nuremberg from Stansted

Dresden via Leipzig Halle 1hrs drive from Dresden or 1 hrs train ride when they are not on strike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

hey folks
    Just wondeirng where is the best place to go in Europe for the Chritams markets like you see in the squares in Germany and Prague ,
    HAs anyone been to any they would recommend, somewhere maybe Ryanair fly cheap ,

Thanks

Basically every German town and city will have one. I think Ryanair fly to Bremen. I've been to it and it's pretty good. I find the smaller the city the better the atmosphere. I was in Berlin last year and found it too big. There were lots of different markets and all were good but the atmosphere wasn't the same. That's just my opinion...

Hye folks
    Storngly thinking off going to Bruges early December for Christmas market and atmosphere can anyone recommend a nice hotel that won't break the bank ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Hye folks
    Storngly thinking off going to Bruges early December for Christmas market and atmosphere can anyone recommend a nice hotel that won't break the bank ,

We've stayed in a gorgeous B&b called 1669 i think, although it might be a bit pricey. Otherwise i've stayed in Hotel t'zand and that was fine.

This year i'm hitting up Xmas markets in Cologne, Heidelburg, Strasbourg and Colmar in a little mini Christmas fix :) I'll report back when done. Have previously been to Nuremburg, Budapest, Bruges/Ghent/Brussels, Vienna & Salzburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cleanslate

went to Prague with Click and Go last year and booked Berlin this year, looking forward to it!! Aer Lingus flights too :) The prices are brilliant if you can go midweek and they tell you which date is the cheapest so they don't just try to sell you the dearest date.
    I recently found out though that Rome have a great Christmas Market in Piazza Navona, have never been to Rome but my friend has and says that it is a beautiful area in Rome.

• Advertisement

mel.b wrote: »
    We've stayed in a gorgeous B&b called 1669 i think, although it might be a bit pricey. Otherwise i've stayed in Hotel t'zand and that was fine.

This year i'm hitting up Xmas markets in Cologne, Heidelburg, Strasbourg and Colmar in a little mini Christmas fix :) I'll report back when done. Have previously been to Nuremburg, Budapest, Bruges/Ghent/Brussels, Vienna & Salzburg.

Which would be your fav for a romantic Christmas get away ,

Advertisement