Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduction of fees seemingly imminent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

was reading in the paper today that they plan to make the registration fee as part of the loan as well so you can pay it back later. wtf? I was shocked. surely they would be abolishing the registration fee if they brought fees back in :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Kat Slater

I don't mind having to pay for college education, as long as all the freeloaders I know have to pay as well. I don't want my younger siblings leaving college with a 30K debt over their head when some people will manage to disguise their income and get away with paying nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

what's more likely to happen is that the people who can afford to go to college after the fees come in will go to the private colleges. They are much better and the cost difference wouldn't be much, if even anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Liam O wrote: »
    what's more likely to happen is that the people who can afford to go to college after the fees come in will go to the private colleges. They are much better and the cost difference wouldn't be much, if even anything.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No, no they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I suspect those stats were out of date; if not then, they soon will be. There have been a lot of IT people let go in the last year.Intel are cutting back, AFAIK. But I agree that we are likely to retain Ebay, Google and the high-end jobs at Intel, for a while at least. In fact, with likely decreases in labour costs, they may be fairly safe in the foreseeable future.

For a better example of what has gone / will go, look at Dell.

The stats were for 2008 afaik. There has been alot of people let go, but just pop onto a few of the job sites and you'll probably have no bother getting a job if you have a degree if an IT field.

Intel let/are letting up to 300 workers go, but don't forget they still employ over 5,000 people in Ireland.

Dell, iirc they weren't for high skilled workers, merely putting stuff together, I could be wrong mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Dell, iirc they weren't for high skilled workers, merely putting stuff together, I could be wrong mind you.
    Yup, mostly manufacture.
    And someone asked why do they still have their HQs here? Because of the 12.5% corporation tax.
    Bring back fees? No, not a good idea.

However, this isn't the main problem with the system. The main problem is places or rather lack thereof.

It's probably been said earlier but here goes ... we have a recession ... nearly 500,000 unemployed and what does the govt do? It makes it more difficult to obtain education and training.

Brilliant!

Maybe they'll bring back the window tax next.

Riv
    Internet tax is next in line. Followed by that, then air tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

HQvhs wrote: »
    Well, okay then. So far no one has come up with an argument against this particular plan. I am against upfront fees. But a student loan paid back when a certain income has been reached is quite reasonable.
    It doesn't stop people going to university, and if they remove the initial €1800 payment and make it part of the loan it may improve participation. (Although fat chance).

Secondly, there's no proof that the introduction of free third level specifically in 1994 has increased the numbers of lower-income children, the schemes target, going to universities. Rather it has led to a boom in middle class children going to universities.

Almost all other countries don't have free third level, and see where they are compared to us with "educated work forces". It's quality as well as quantity. Unfortunately while we may have a lot of medicine, arts, law & commerce graduates we still lack science graduates or an entrepreneurial culture. This is what is needed to advance our economy.

And this isn't just a short sighted plan to deal with the recession. This recession will be long gone in 15 years time when the effects of this will begin to be truly seen in the country. It's better to get it right rather than attempt a botched short term job to fill the state coffers.

I really haven't seen a convincing argument for why adults (not parents) should not pay for a bit of their own education when they can afford it, especially if it has given them a bigger income.

I think it may have actually made it more difficult for kids from poorer backgrounds as the entry points have skyrocketed since the intro of free fees with so many kids from middle class backgrounds going to college.

One good thing to come from paying to go to college will be a revaluing of education. Degrees and post grads are ten a penny now and this has done nothing but degrade the pursuit of education. Kids should realise that it is not necessary to attend college to do most jobs in Ireland and most kids are wasting their time in college - colleges are more like a social club for late teens and early 20's. Kids only really go to further their social lives not their education.

I feel that the point at which the former student should begin paying the debt off though should be realistic. Something like the average wage in Ireland as surely no college graduate should earn less than the average wage should they?

Kids from poorer backgrounds would continue to receive free fees if their parents qualify for the higher education grant as was the case also pre 1995. The biggest injustice of the free fees scheme is that it did nothing for kids that would already have been going to college free on the HEG scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

The stats were for 2008 afaik. There has been alot of people let go, but just pop onto a few of the job sites and you'll probably have no bother getting a job if you have a degree if an IT field.

Intel let/are letting up to 300 workers go, but don't forget they still employ over 5,000 people in Ireland.

I am being made redundant from Dell and have postgrad qualifications - 2 honours primary degrees and a masters. I'm very annoyed by this overgeneralisation of the layoffs in Dell. The majority of Dell workers attended college to some level: some to phd level in fact and were still laid off. Plenty of guys I know/knew in Dell have IT degrees.
    edit, I did not receive my education through the free fees cheme but rather the Higher Education Grant system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I am being made redundant from Dell and have postgrad qualifications - 2 honours primary degrees and a masters. I'm very annoyed by this overgeneralisation of the layoffs in Dell. The majority of Dell workers attended college to some level: some to phd level in fact and were still laid off. Plenty of guys I know/knew in Dell have IT degrees.
    edit, I did not receive my education through the free fees cheme but rather the Higher Education Grant system.

Apologises, I wasn't 100% sure but well you've proven otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I love a good fees argument.

Basically, if upfront fees were introduced, I wouldn't be able to study Medicine.
    I'm already going to have to take out a big, manky student loan to pay for stuff like accomodation. My parents wouldn't be able to afford it. Simple as.

This loans system, flawed as it is, is better than the prospect of upfront fees, but I still don't fully agree.

Can't wait to emigrate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

MrPirate wrote: »
    Well it's most likely the latter but the fact that it's still in Irish law (Technically,although it may be ignored) which goes to show you how our beloved government like to run things: outdated and uselessly.

It's not in 'irish law' per se, have you ever heard of it (or could even imagine in your wildest dreams) it being quoted in a court of law in todays modern Ireland to prove some point or provide foundations for a case?

It's not in 'irish law' per se, have you ever heard of it (or could even imagine in your wildest dreams) it being quoted in a court of law in todays modern Ireland to prove some point or provide foundations for a case?

That whole gay rights thing?

I'll pick you up on the first point, and I'll use an example. Our IT workforce, over half of the employed workforce in IT is foreign as there isn't enough Irish skilled enough to fill the posts, along with that 2,000-3,000 IT jobs go unfilled every year in Ireland (stats were on RTÉ a while back).

Perhaps it's because no Irish people wanted to fill the posts? The government is always harping on about getting Arts students to change their minds and doing Science or something technological instead, but obviously to no effect. Just consider how many Arts students there are in UCD compared with Science if you want proof. All the free fees in the world won't change peoples minds about this one. In fact, make people pay fees and they're more likely to go for something which will get them a job pronto, which would've at least slightly increased the lack of numbers doing IT.
    If foreign and native investors want cheap labour over educated works, why are the likes of Intel, Ebay, Google, etc... based in Ireland!?

Most of these multinationals won't be here much longer, cheaper labour abroad, lots of whispers heard around lots of companies now. Labour was once cheap and economical here but just as Fruit of the Loom closed in Donegal and moved to a sweatshop in Morocco, so will this trend continue in most sectors. Basically, what Randy said.

Fad wrote: »
    That whole gay rights thing?

The whole 'the woman's place is in the home' thing?

EDIT: You mean that Article 41 of the Constitution (which deals with the family being at the centre of family life and the woman being the centre of the home) would be used in a gay right's debate? I can see why, in a very roundabout way still, but the idea that this Article still bears significance in modern day Ireland is ridiculous. Why? Civil unions have just been granted and the only reason why not more has been done recently is because 1) we're incredibly slow at moving with the times- divorce is only about ten years old here and 2) there are a good few current cabinet ministers who are very much anti-gay (Dermot Ahern, if I recall correctly, came out with some atrocious comments recently enough)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

As someone else has pointed out, they did have many highly skilled workers ... BUT their main focus was manufacture and assembly (very broadly speaking) and that is the kind of work that is more and more finding its way to places like China and India.
    No-one meant to suggest that Dell employees were under-educated or not up to scratch in some way, apologies if it came across like that ... more that the trend is for manufacturing type work to disappear abroad to places where the necessary skills also exist and costs are lower.

EDIT: lets not go down that road in this thread / forum, Acid / Fad ... an interesting topic certainly, but a bit out of place here? :)

EDIT: lets not go down that road in this thread / forum, Acid / Fad ... an interesting topic certainly, but a bit out of place here? :)

I have no interest in a discussion about it, I was just pointing out that the constitution can still be used/abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

My apologies if this offends anyone and Im sure I would agree with most of your political views but, I just saw another thread being closed for talking about fees because this one was open.

This one doesnt seem to deal with fees now in the way that most of us want to. If we could actually discuss fees and how we would manage as opposed to criticizing the constitution, it would be mega helpful. Just my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Jammyc wrote: »
    My apologies if this offends anyone and Im sure I would agree with most of your political views but, I just saw another thread being closed for talking about fees because this one was open.
    I closed that thread because I didn't think having two threads was necessary. This thread is a general discussion about fees: whether you're for or against them, whether a student loan is a good idea or not, how you'll cope etc. It's a broad subject but I think one thread will suffice for now.
    This one doesnt seem to deal with fees now in the way that most of us want to. If we could actually discuss fees and how we would manage as opposed to criticizing the constitution, it would be mega helpful. Just my two cents.

You can do so here. :) The constitution topic was something that just came up. Besides, just a few posts above, randy requested it be kept out of this thread:
    EDIT: lets not go down that road in this thread / forum, Acid / Fad ... an interesting topic certainly, but a bit out of place here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I don't mind college fees if its a loan type system but i think college grants should go before college fees come in

And also i think people should be discounted for passing their end of year exams, so many people drop out of college its not even funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 electriks

Yeah sorry i started the thread and wasn't very specific:pac:
    I wanted to know if the people starting college in september would have to pay the fees when we're already in the system or wot????:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

electriks wrote: »
    Yeah sorry i started the thread and wasn't very specific:pac:
    I wanted to know if the people starting college in september would have to pay the fees when we're already in the system or wot????:confused:

No one knows.

I think it's a joke tbh. We're the unlucky ones, the ones who really have to pay for the **** that FF/PD's/Greens (yes the Greens) have inflicted on our country. We have seen nothing of the Celtic Tiger, not a bit. We didn't bring it's downfall. We didn't over inflate house prices, but yet Batt and Brian have decided to tax going to college.
    I used the the word tax there and not fees, as yes, I believe that I have a right to an education. The government has already planned for the payment of its and other EU citizens to go to college here as part of National Development Plan, our pre-recessionary stimulus package. The purpose of including this as part of the NDP was to encourage Ireland's youth to a life of education and reclaim Ireland's claim to fame as a land of scholars. The bringing of this tax to go to college is a joke, which shows that the government doesn't care about me, or the youth of this country. We have been abandoned.

Yeah, yeah I hear you say. You should pay for your education! Our colleges are under-funded and falling apart! The fact that the Government pays for our education and not us ourselves should not impact on the standard of education that one receives (see Private vs Public state funded schools)

I live in Sligo. To go to college, will be a massive expense even without fees. I'll need a loan to pay for accomodation, living costs, registration fees and materials needed for college. On top of that I'll now be stumped with a loan to Government for fees. And ANOTHER loan when I do my masters. Can you imagine the debts I'll have amounted before I go to work at all? I'll be in €25,000+ in the red, and many others will too. Can you imagine being 23 and having that level of debt hanging around your neck like a stone, dragging you to work. I thought we had already tried this nation living on debt thing already anyways.

I will fight this tooth and nail, and I'm sure I will not be alone. The pensioners got their medical card and the ****ing stingy mobile home owners got their €200 tax rescinded. They can pay Gah players wages €1m, and yet they cannot afford education? What matters more? If they can rescind a puny second home tax on the rich like the afore mentioned one already, we can stop them with this tax on the ordinary.

I don't mind college fees if its a loan type system but i think college grants should go before college fees come in
    I presume you're one of those who don't need / are unlikely to receive a grant? :)
    electriks wrote: »
    Nobody knows, but there is some rumbling in the media that O'Keeffe intends that whatever system come in next year will apply to this year's intake as well ... hence flagging the likelihood of change now, so that (theoretically) people can't say they weren't warned / can't claim they contracted in to do the course on the basis that it would definitely remain covered by the Free Fees Initiative.
    We have seen nothing of the Celtic Tiger, not a bit. We didn't bring it's downfall. We didn't over inflate house prices, but yet Batt and Brian have decided to tax going to college.
    I kind of disagree with the first statement tbh. Most people of 17-18 at the moment have seen some benefit from the boom years ... the proliferation of highend mobile phones, laptops, computers, brand name clothes and shoes, foreign holidays etc. spring to mind. However, you are right in saying that you didn't bring about its demise. However, that reality is unlikely to change anything. Playing devil's advocate for a moment, a question? ... if the boom had continued until you were out of college, would you have refused the fee subsidies under the FFI on the basis that you weren't responsible for the boom and the economic prosperity which underpinned them?
    I live in Sligo. To go to college, will be a massive expense even without fees. I'll need a loan to pay for accomodation, living costs, registration fees and materials needed for college. On top of that I'll now be stumped with a loan to Government for fees. And ANOTHER loan when I do my masters. Can you imagine the debts I'll have amounted before I go to work at all? I'll be in €25,000+ in the red, and many others will too. Can you imagine being 23 and having that level of debt hanging around your neck like a stone, dragging you to work.
    Yes, it's not a nice thought. And when you graduate, and assuming you get a job, your spending power will be severely cut by this system, which in itself will tend to stagnate the economy and prolong the recissionary cycle, as I pointed out above.
    They can pay Gah players wages €1m, and yet they cannot afford education?
    Wait! The government pays GAA players now?! When did that happen?!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Gear9992

Read in the paper that they are planning to make the fees for medicine around 30k a year, and thats for 6 years, or however long they spend in college.

So basically, in a couple of years, the only doctors in the country will be euromillions winners.

I kind of disagree with the first statement tbh. Most people of 17-18 at the moment have seen some benefit from the boom years ... the proliferation of highend mobile phones, laptops, computers, brand name clothes and shoes, foreign holidays etc. spring to mind.

Material goods. Meh. We didn't have high salaries, get an education granted to us like the the 13 or so previous classes who did or have a decent health system to protect us. We got nothing.
    if the boom had continued until you were out of college, would you have refused the fee subsidies under the FFI on the basis that you weren't responsible for the boom and the economic prosperity which underpinned them?
    No. A government shouldn't have to wait for booms in order to provide it's citizens with basic necessities, essential for functioning as a modern society.
    Wait! The government pays GAA players now?! When did that happen?!

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1GGLS_enIE316IE316&q=gaa+government+grants&btnG=Search&meta=

Material goods. Meh. We didn't have high salaries, get an education granted to us like the the 13 or so previous classes who did or have a decent health system to protect us. We got nothing.
    1) You hardly expect to be paid for being a teenager.

2) What about the 100s of classes before them again that had to pay full fees?

3) We haven't had a decent healthcare system in Ireland in living memory, boom or bust.
    We got nothing.
    0_o

I'm so tempted to suggest you go spend a gap year in Indonesia ...
    No. A government shouldn't have to wait for booms in order to provide it's citizens with basic necessities, essential for functioning as a modern society.
    Ok, you know, I'm actually generally on your side of the argument, but you're beginning to convince me I must be wrong.

Desirable as I think free or at least very low-cost higher education is, it certainly doesn't qualify as a "basic necessity".

Leaving aside the kids in other parts of the world who would probably see adequate food and fresh water in that light, I have worked with youngsters here in Ireland who would prioritise a decent dry, warm, home; being able to go outside their front doors without encountering drug-dealers and criminals or without fear; hell, being able to go inside their front doors without fear in some cases; all of these and many more things higher up their wish-list of "basic necessities".

And the government didn't deliver any of that even in the boom years.

And in any case my point was that saying that you are entitled to free fees because you didn't cause the recession is a bit akin to jumping up and down and screaming at your parents "it wasn't my fault, so I should have heat!!!" if the heating oil runs out at home. Whether it was your fault or not won't change the reality of the situation, and it won't impress people as an argument.

People who preceded you in the thread made far more rational and reasonable arguments against the proposed changes.

Oh, I do agree with you re: the GAA players though. Sorry guys, but there are lots of things higher on the agenda for that money.

Gear9992 wrote: »
    Read in the paper that they are planning to make the fees for medicine around 30k a year, and thats for 6 years, or however long they spend in college.

So basically, in a couple of years, the only doctors in the country will be euromillions winners.
    Saaay whaaat? Ahh feck! Looks like grad. medicine is out for me. 60000ish I could deal with (or would have somehow;)) but the thoght of being roughly 200000 in debt before youve got yourself a house/car/life! Feck that!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Gear9992

Saaay whaaat? Ahh feck! Looks like grad. medicine is out for me. 60000ish I could deal with (or would have somehow;)) but the thoght of being roughly 200000 in debt before youve got yourself a house/car/life! Feck that!

It could be 30,000 a year for the last two or three years, I'm not totally sure.

If these fees are brought in, wouldn't be surprised if there was a mass-migration of students abroad, with me on the first flight out of here :P

Gear9992 wrote: »
    I didn't see that in the paper, but I'd say they are just taking a shot in the dark based on something like this.

I really wouldn't be paying too much attention to speculation like that. Ok, if they re-introduce fees, medicine is likely to be at the top of the scale, but it's very doubtful that they would jump from a reg. fee of €1,500 p.a. to €30,000 p.a.!

A few reasons ...

a) there would be war!

b) they know damn well that a lot of people would simply drop out of contention, and the medical schools would be going mad because they would no longer be attracting "the best of the best".

c) most doctors end up deriving all or part of their income from the State. The more debt they are saddled with, the more they will agitate for higher and higher salaries. Cue increased pressure on our banjaxed health service; industrial action; etc. etc. It would make poor long-term economic sense.

None of these factors apply to international students (i.e. those from outside the EU) which is why fees for this cohort have traditionally been set at what the market will bear (or, my own suspicion, by firing a dart at a dartboard!! :pac: )

2) What about the 100s of classes before them again that had to pay full fees?
    Did I say that was right?
    3) We haven't had a decent healthcare system in Ireland in living memory, boom or bust.
    We did, before the abolition of the Irish Hospital Sweepstakes, but thats a whole different story.
    I'm so tempted to suggest you go spend a gap year in Indonesia ...
    I hope to go and do something like that, the townships in South Africa being my particular place that I wish to visit/help
    Desirable as I think free or at least very low-cost higher education is, it certainly doesn't qualify as a "basic necessity".

Leaving aside the kids in other parts of the world who would probably see adequate food and fresh water in that light, I have worked with youngsters here in Ireland who would prioritise a decent dry, warm, home; being able to go outside their front doors without encountering drug-dealers and criminals or without fear; hell, being able to go inside their front doors without fear in some cases; all of these and many more things higher up their wish-list of "basic necessities".

And the government didn't deliver any of that even in the boom years.

And in any case my point was that saying that you are entitled to free fees because you didn't cause the recession is a bit akin to jumping up and down and screaming at your parents "it wasn't my fault, so I should have heat!!!" if the heating oil runs out at home. Whether it was your fault or not won't change the reality of the situation, and it won't impress people as an argument.

People who preceded you in the thread made far more rational and reasonable arguments against the proposed changes.

If we are to have any way out of this mess, It's via education. While my earlier post may have been seen as rather selfish, admittedly taxing going to college will not help things. A 3rd band of tax at ~60% and an increase of the higher rate of tax to 45-46% would be much fairer, as we still would be paying for our education when we actually started making money, and not having the mountain of debt inflicted upon us by FF.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking more of Graduate Medicine though.
    Fees:

The Programme tuition fee for EU graduate students is €26,960 per annum in 2009. The Higher Education Authority will contribute €13,845 per annum in 2009 towards the fee leaving the student liable for the balance of €13,115 per annum.

Im fearful that theyll take this away!

Advertisement