Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduction of fees seemingly imminent

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Explain how please.

Why would a rich person stay if taxes were so high. And 60 percent is very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Why would a rich person stay if taxes were so high.

Convenience, security and patriotism. (S)He'll have his/her family here, his/her job and his/her life.

Whereas if young people are saddled with a massive debt that they must repay upon their beginning of work, there will be a lot more people leaving as we'll have a lot less ties then those who are older.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Convenience, security and patriotism. (S)He'll have his/her family here, his/her job and his/her life.

Whereas if young people are saddled with a massive debt that they must repay upon their beginning of work, there will be a lot more people leaving as we'll have a lot less ties then those who are older.

They can still live here and become tax exiles if they are wealthy enough. I agree with your last point. Nothing that the government does is going to improve things. At least with a loan system everyone gets the chance to go to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

They can still live here and become tax exiles.

The tax exiles net is going to be closed or at least tightened a good bit afaik.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well yes. Redistributed to other countries that is.
    Explain how please.
    With people skidaddling to less punitive tax regimes. The more money they have the easier it is to do and the more incentive to do it ... and it's not exactly our climate is going to keep them here!!
    When you have enough money, almost anywhere is convenient and secure, and very few people's patriotism survives seeing 60% of their income disappear out of their pocket. And when you're rich enough it is very easy to move your family and your life, and do it to some place which they find exciting and attractive enough to ameliorate any pangs of homesickness, and given that we are talking primarily about business people / entrepreneurs, their job is basically wherever they are.

The other side of that is that the self-same factors will (theoretically) keep outside investors at home unless you give them a good enough reason to move base ... and a punitive tax system is the ultimate "Do not enter!" for such people.
    ... not to mention no jobs and being shafted by this tax regime of yours even if they find a decent one!

Honestly, SB, I can see where you're coming from with a lot of this, but you need to expose some of these black-and-white ideas of yours to the light of harsh realities, and take particular note of the greytone!!

I'm highly skeptical of this student loans idea for a host of reasons, but you are not showing me any good / workable alternatives either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

Sorry if this is a stupid question but im starting college this sept. So if fees come back for sept 2010 does that mean i wont have to pay as im already in college? Personally i think fees, if they must come back, should be means tested. Those who can afford it pay, those who cant the state pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Seanh111 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but im starting college this sept. So if fees come back for sept 2010 does that mean i wont have to pay as im already in college? Personally i think fees, if they must come back, should be means tested. Those who can afford it pay, those who cant the state pays.

Nice idea.
    Never going to happen though.
    Just wait until they set the thresholds. COnsidering at the moment 2 parents working full time at McDonalds(No offense to Mcds workers intended) are considered too rich for their kids to get a Grant i wouldnt hold out too much faith in it.

If the government can get away with it they will charge you fees as soon as possible. I cant see them doing it for this academic year but could see it for further years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Seanh111 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but im starting college this sept. So if fees come back for sept 2010 does that mean i wont have to pay as im already in college?
    I wouldn't bet on it. As I said above, there seems to be a general message going out from the Minister that one of the reasons this is getting such an airing now before the decision has even been made is so that people entering college this September can't say this time next year that they got no warning that something was coming down the line.

I suspect at best it means that you get one year over and done with, and get caught for subsequent years.

Advertisement