Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Irish Hunting Knife

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Dont get me wrong pajero. I wouldn mind that sort of thing, but you'l probably get a lot of boys that wont turn up. Then again wit that knife on the line i could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong pajero. I wouldn mind that sort of thing, but you'l probably get a lot of boys that wont turn up. Then again wit that knife on the line i could be wrong.

I was thinking of pay in advance. Maybe thru' boards.ie (if that was ok with managers/mods/owners) or midlands? Get numbers of people interested and determine price from that. That still wouldn't help the shot-gun guys!!

That good idea. Ah id say most of the boys who contributed have rifles anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Or instead of a shoot.How about a meet and BBQ somwhere?Folks can meet up,admire Davvys blade;).Bitch &moan about the state of affairs in person,show off their "toys" and generally have a good afternoon/evening???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Or instead of a shoot.How about a meet and BBQ somwhere?Folks can meet up,admire Davvys blade;).Bitch &moan about the state of affairs in person,show off their "toys" and generally have a good afternoon/evening???

+1 on that Grizzly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    pajero2005 wrote: »
    I was thinking of pay in advance. Maybe thru' boards.ie (if that was ok with managers/mods/owners) or midlands? Get numbers of people interested and determine price from that. That still wouldn't help the shot-gun guys!!
    midlands do a clay shoot on sunday afternoons for da scatter guns.

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    sounds good to me.

dwighet wrote: »
    midlands do a clay shoot on sunday afternoons for da scatter guns.

How about two comps, one for rifle and one for shot-guns. Two winners go mono v mono for the knife:eek:...........(or draw a name from a hat:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    No matter where or when , you will find it very hard to please everyone.

We have 730# posts on this thread, i suggest we close it on 1000 , open a new thread re Knife sharing , where we could all share knives as members and pass them on, the knife could be requested via PM and
    everyone would have pay a bond via paypal which would be returned when the knife is received by the next member.
    I also propose that all funds go towards a childrens charity and every time we share a knife we donate €5 to that charity.

Lets set a target, we can share all knives not just davy's , maybe try it for 12 months.

This way everyone gets to see many different knives .

I have a few hand made knives and would have no problem with sharing.

Maca

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    We seem to be going down a track of "Who get's the knife ?" and "How to get it" rather than staying on track and coming up with a good brand name for it...

So I've made a decision ....

[FINAL DECISION]
    The knife will be raffled among contributors as originally planned.
    [/FINAL DECISION]

If someone wants to organise a meet up, so that the draw can be done publicly, and anyone who wants to, can get to see the knife, I'd be happy to come along. It would be lovely to put faces to names anyway, after all this time.

I like the idea of a boards BBQ or shooting day.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm BBQ :D

• Advertisement

I think the raffle wil be best idea for the boys davy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Any more names forthcoming?

If so hurry up, if not, Mods a poll please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭droc

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    davymoore wrote: »
    We seem to be going down a track of "Who get's the knife ?" and "How to get it" rather than staying on track and coming up with a good brand name for it...

So I've made a decision ....

[FINAL DECISION]
    The knife will be raffled among contributors as originally planned.
    [/FINAL DECISION]

If someone wants to organise a meet up, so that the draw can be done publicly, and anyone who wants to, can get to see the knife, I'd be happy to come along. It would be lovely to put faces to names anyway, after all this time.

I like the idea of a boards BBQ or shooting day.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm BBQ :D

Good decision and MMMMMMMMMM BBQ!

There's also the new sheath to consider once we've come up with a name for the knife.

DROC

Does anyone else think davy should bring it to one of them knife making competitions before anything happens? Nice to see how it would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭clivej

No
    Hi davy that's a good looking knife.
    I've been lurking on this post to see how you made that beautiful skillfully made blade and now I just wanted to add my appreiation of your work.

CliveJ

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Some good stuff came through via PMs folks and thanks very much for that.

I whittled the suggestions down to 4 choices which will hopefully appear as a Poll over the coming days and you guys can vote on them to choose the eventual name.

Thanks again

Davy

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Lads. I had the privilige today to meet up with Davey and see the knife and many of the knives he has created....I`ll tell ye all something for nothing...The knife to be raffled is an absolute gem.. and so are all the ones he showed me... Gobsmacked I was.....

Who ever wins this knife will have a treasure for life....

Lads,
    Iam proably going to be branded an absolute CNUT herefor this suggestion,but I think it has to be said..Today we got an absolute kick in the gnoads from our Govt on pistol shooting and no doubt once Aytollah Aherne has had his 9 weeks of windsurfing and golfing.He will be back for more gun banning and curtailing of human and civil rights.Iwould maybe suggest a counter proposal?That any monies made is donated to a shooting organisation/human rights group that actually supports issues like freedom of speech,has a PROVEN track record of standing up for Irish gunowners.Maybe they could make more use of it?
    My 2cents
    Grizzly.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    any monies made is donated to a shooting organisation/human rights group that actually supports issues like freedom of speech,has a PROVEN track record of standing up for Irish gunowners.
    Name one. Preferably one whose 'standing up' has led to results that are stable in the long term, and whom everyone can agree with?

I think it'd be simpler picking a charity. However, it's a moot point - Davy's made his choice, and it's no-one's but his to make.

Sparks wrote: »
    Name one. Preferably one whose 'standing up' has led to results that are stable in the long term, and whom everyone can agree with?

Yeah,you're right there Sparks,dumb idea here in Ireland about shooting organisations doing much by your preconditions:o! Scrap that.
    ICCL or Amnesty Intl might be more useful.As we will proably need them soon as being gunowners we are no doubt some danger unmder the new law to the State.:(

I think it'd be simpler picking a charity. However, it's a moot point - Davy's made his choice, and it's no-one's but his to make
    T'was just a sugestion.

• Advertisement

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    LADS.. the knife will be raffled...No money will be going anywere....

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

New poll up.

Name the knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sealgaire's getting my vote. Great name. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Davy,
    What about making a sheath similar to the one that comes with a buck vanguard, but obviously a bit different? I think something like this would suit the lines of your knife very well and they are a very functional sheath.
    Change the button to the brass non button thing and have it so it can be mounted horizontally and you've got a pretty good sheath.
    Just a suggestion tho. What do you think??

Sealgaire's getting my vote. Great name. :)

Yours, mine and by the looks of it everyone one else's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    Seen a sheath on my travels recently, had no camera with me , but the knife was held in place with two pieces of leather reinforced with soft wire and they came across from the back of the sheath and were tied to a stud at the front with each one crossing over the quillion, no matter how hard i shook it , it never fell out .

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Well I built a sheath over the weekend that works nicely, looks the part and has all the functionality we need.

I'll post pictures later. Just wanted to let you know that it was done so as not to have you all losing sleep over it :D

Davy

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Looks like the photos might be a couple of days. But tis done anyway

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Also looks like barring a miracle between now and Saturday that we have a name for the knife.

Sealgaire is currently running away with the vote. It's a good name I think.

I believe it's pronounced (ShalGirra) at least that's what my good mate and Gael Scoil principal told me.

Davy

• Advertisement

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Hi folks first pic back from the photographer.

May I proudly present The Sealgaire

sealgaire.jpg

Advertisement