Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ultimate Irish Hunting Knife

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    davymoore wrote: »
    Hi folks first pic back from the photographer.

May I proudly present The Sealgaire

sealgaire.jpg

Very nice indeed.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Davy, take a bow chap. Top job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Yes, Sat 22nd only

sealgaire.jpg

Very nice indeed....I envy the man who wins this work of art...

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Thanks lads

A bit about the sheath.

sheathinfo.jpg

More pics later in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Been watching this since day one and I will be honest with ya Davy I was scepitical about it and how it was going to pan out, all the while looking at custom sites of other knives. It has turned out a very fine knife and from a visual aspect it has to be one of if not the most eye catching custom made knives I have looked at. A very fine craft piece and fair play to your patience and overall talent. Its a pity the arts council dont push folks like yourself when they go about selling this country abroad. Once again fair play to you Davy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sheath looks fantastic. I didn't really contribute to the design process bar to gawk, so won't be in the raffle, but if an economy friendly version were to be made, I'd be very tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    That looks fantastic... the sheath is excellent. Very impressed with the variety of mounting positions you managed to fit in and still maintain a very aesthetically pleasing piece. well done:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

sealgaire.jpg

the knife is a lovely looking ,its very hard to tell until its in your hand for a few hours, but this looks a very usable .

the sheath is a excellent idea .
    to be able to adjust the height is very handy as i like my knife highish on my hip for a few reasons .
    i carry my knife on my left side but im right handed ,over the years i found this the best place for it again for a few reasons .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Maybe, I don't know yet.

sealgaire.jpg
    Craftsmanship at its finest, i love the sheath concept , I take my hat off to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Absolutely class Davy. its one of the tastiest knives i've seen. well lads it looks like we made the right decisions on the polls, the handle works so well with the fittings and thanks to davy for putting it all together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well impressive and top class work as well Sir!

The sheath looks well impressive,and solid,did we loose the firesteel/sharpner loop then?

An extra nice touch is the paracord ...what DO you call those loop type thingies????

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

wow, well done, serious looking knife, i know the plan all along was to raffle it of to somebody but maybe it would be a good idea to auction it off between boards users and what ever money is raised be given to a charity, just a tought because i'm sure there are plenty of people here willing to splash out on such a fine knife

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    Absolutely brilliant, nicest knife Ive ever set my eyes on, you are a real master craftsman Davy, well done to you and all the boardsie's that helped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

It looks like perfection.

Have a drink on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    looks well!;)
    very creative mind to design that sheath! hats off!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭gentleman jim

what a beauty davy!
    well done! credit were credit is due!
    i hope i can get one off you in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭wicklow newbie

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    Really looks the business Davy. Very well done, you are a true craftsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    that is a very lovely piece Davy. take a bow indeed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    A real work of art.....true craftmanship!

The sheath is really practical (like the idea it can suit a left-hander!) .....never seen one like that before.....covers every scenario.

Now that it's finished Davy does it look anything like your initial preconceptions on starting out of what it could end up like?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,000 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    The sheath is fantastic. really good concept,

I'd suggest that you look into getting the design patented

Excellant work as always Davy

• Advertisement

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    jwshooter wrote: »
    i carry my knife on my left side but im right handed ,over the years i found this the best place for it again for a few reasons .

The sheath can also be used in cross draw mode.

What this means .... If you can imagine it...

You set the sheath into RIGHT HAND MODE but carry it on your left side so you cross your hand over your body to draw the knife.

OR...

Using the Horizontal carry loops and the sheath set in RIGHT HAND MODE you can cross draw across the front of your body.

OR...

Set it in LEFT HAND MODE ... mount it in a horizontal position on your back using the "Horizontal Carry Loops" and you can cross draw around your back using your right hand.

Reverse the SETUP MODES for left handers.

Davy

sheathinfo.jpg

The sheath looks well impressive,and solid,did we loose the firesteel/sharpner loop then?

An extra nice touch is the paracord ...what DO you call those loop type thingies????

A firesteel loop can be added on request..
    That paracord loop thingy is called a lanyard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Congrats davy. She is a beaut. A credit to you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Beautiful piece of Irish craftsmanship, we should be proud to have people producing work of this calibre in Ireland. Well done Davy.

I'd also like to withdraw my own name from the raffle for the knife as I am not a hunter and was only ever contributing to this thread as it seemed such an interesting thing for Boards.ie

I'd like to see the knife go to someone who would use it and it would only be an ornamental piece if by some fluke I was to win.

Cheers and well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Beautiful piece of work, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Ok Davy , ill ask the question, when the knife goes into production have you figured a cost for the customer to buy?..i would be interested in purchasing one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

That knife is gorgeous. You are a true master of your craft, that is outstanding work, well done

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Ok Davy , ill ask the question, when the knife goes into production have you figured a cost for the customer to buy?..i would be interested in purchasing one.:)

The knife won't ever go into production per sey. Lot's of you have already contacted me asking to get on some sort of order list and to be honest this is not going to happen either. At least not the way I am thinking at the moment.

You need to remember that I work a full time day job as a fitter and that knifemaking is only a part time thing for me. It's a hobby that I make a few quid at now and again but mostly lose money at. It is a hobby though and I don't want it to take over my entire home life or have it so that I am under pressure to turn out orders

With this in mind, what I think I will do is make one now and again and then offer it for sale here on Boards. Depending on the materials used in the knife I will set an asking price. It will be as fair a reflection on the actual value of the knife. This will include materials, consumables and my time.

The first one is obviously very difficult to price.

Depending on materials I think I can offer these at anywhere between €300 and €600. I know this may sound like a lot of money for a knife. But if this project has taught you anything then hopefully you can now appreciate the ammount of work and time they take to make.

Regards

Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Ditto with my name not being in the draw. The way things are going on the job front it might be a nice sideline to have if things ever came to it. How ya fixed for an apprentice got 18 years behind me as a metal fabricator ....insert cheeky grin here......lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Davy

A piece of craftsmanship you can be proud of.

It is not every day we are witness to the creative processes in the full light of concept through incubation to fruition. Thank you for letting us participate and see the inner working of an idea, ....... the journey has being an education to all.

My compliments on a job well done.

PS, If you build them they will sell. ;):D

sealgaire.jpg

Outstanding!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

hi davy im very interested in the sheath mounted horizontally on the belt ,do you think the knife wound be safe this way .ie it will not fall out.

the main reason i like a folder is its tidy on my hip ,my fixed blade knife hangs to low for my liking.

i could see this carry position on the small of my back working ,what is the over all lenth of the knife in house.

Advertisement