Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom DSL - DNS Lookups Slow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭yy885

for an example: when i clicking into the "my bill" page from www.eircom.net it show me a page like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Are you sure you have changed your DNS settings to OpenDns?

I ask because what you are getting now does seem to be similar to what has been reported on here.

This apparently was due to a hack attack on the eircom DNS servers, DNS poisoning, with URL's being diverted to various search and soft-pron sites, as in the article.

Changing the DNS settings in your router is the solution which has worked for most people, and is also recommended in the article referenced above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭yy885

well i am not good at routing thing...so thats why i come and ask:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

thanks for the notification pancake - i encountered the ask.com search diversion last night, made accesing websites impossible. luckily i had the openDNS addresses handy. its a malicious hack which i'd imagine has ppl searching for spyware or adware, when it yields no results their next step is likely to consider reformatting their computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Jammyc wrote: »
    An earlier poster (cant remember the name) said they called and got an automated message saying that they aware of the problem and are trying to fix it.

That poster was me! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

grand all evening until about 10 minutes ago, gone to sh|t again ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

skelliser wrote: »
    grand all evening until about 10 minutes ago, gone to sh|t again ffs!

same here, thankfully Boards is still up and running though. It only seems to be hotmail and facebook for me that are down. I expect them to be down until about 1am again tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'm going to crack!!! Wheres my 02 dongle??? Blast Eircon!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pwwillia

has anybodies connection stopped? was surfing upto about 20mins ago then nothing so am using the mobile to read this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Lamposts

I have the dns open and its working fine but I can't connect to xboxz live. Pretty gay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

pwwillia wrote: »
    has anybodies connection stopped? was surfing upto about 20mins ago then nothing so am using the mobile to read this thread.

lost my Eircom BB fixed line connection around same time ...... looking at this on dialup ..... will go back and see if BB has started again .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Eircom down in dungarvan, got a txt off a friend from cork and they said it's down there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

eircom BB down since about 20.45 here. Same last night! Anyone know what this problem they are 'fixing' is?

No joy on fixed line Eircom BB ......... :(

I can get online with dialup ......

wonder if lightning has blown something critical or what? .......

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

BB up here in Kilkenny. Have now changed DNS on the router to opendns servers. All ok.

resolver1.opendns.com

resolver2.opendns.com

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Thanks for tips :)
    Was getting really really fed up of pages not loading.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

magicianz wrote: »
    eircom BB down since about 20.45 here. Same last night! Anyone know what this problem they are 'fixing' is?

The problem is most likely with the Domain Name Servers, which effectively guide you to whatever website you look for. At the moment, they seem "broken" and result in not being allowed get to a lot of websites (at least, genuinely). You can ask your browser to use other DNS instead of Eircoms, which is a work around.

If any user simply can not connect to the internet full stop - that is to say, you cant even get as far as trying to connect to a website, thats a different issue.*

* Trying means "Unable to connect" errors when launching your browser or your routers connection page is giving a connection failure to Eircom. Not simply just getting another website then you think, which is discussed above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

thanks for the dns addys

Just called tech support at 1890 260 260 ......

Auto question ..... are you calling us on your BB fixed line .....

I reply yes .......

OK ..... we are aware of a BB problem in your area and are working to fix it ......

anything else we do for you ......

errrr ..... no

night night ......

To be fair to Eircom I can't rem any problems with BB for years so maybe it will be fixed overnight ....

ps. this dialup is a bit slow ...... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 SeraphIRL

Sweater wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I did up some quick instructions with screenshots on how to change your DNS settings. It's easy to follow and this will fix the slowness problem..

www.denclan.com/eircomrework.doc

:D

legend!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I got through to Eircom Tech support, "yes DNS is down, yes it was down last night, they thought they fixed the problem but obviously not" "every call i've taken in the past 10 minutes has been reporting this issue" etc etc.
    The workaround she gave me was to give me the IP address of Google, so I could search for whatever site I need from there. No estimated time to fix at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ethernet wrote: »
    Not in that area myself but (even temporarily) switching to OpenDNS might help your situation.

Many thanks! (and to others who suggested the same thing)

Switched my router to OpenDNS and everything is right in my world.

I'm in Dublin 15 btw, and DNS has been crap for several days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Hi Guys,

Would those with difficulty PLEASE change their DNS Server settings to OPENDNS IP addresses. These are:

Normally your ROUTER / BB Modem can be accessed via your browser.

If using windows click START then RUN. Type "cmd" ( no quotes ) and hit OK. A DOS Box opens up. Here at the prompt / flashing cursor type:

ipconfig/all

In the list that follows you should see IP ADDRESS, SUBNET MASK ( 255.255.255.0 probably ). The DHCP Server address should do, take this down. This is probably the local IP Address of your Router! More than likely something like 192.168.x.xxx

Now open up your browser, in the ADDRESS BAR ( where http:// ... is usually ) overwrite / type thisDHCP address ( no http or www ). Press enter. With any luck you should now see the routers admin home page. This is a local settings "webpage" built into your router. Fish around the menu system, typically under WAN maybe. Look for DNS and a place where you can OVERWRITE or add the new open dns addresses above. TAKE DOWN THE EIRCOM DNS IP's just in case.

If you are successful in finding this and adding the new DNS addresses you will have to save these new settings and probably reboot the router on request. Once rebooted your Internet should be back up and running.

Please note - JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE WITH EIRCOM DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO USE THEIR DNS SERVERS. I have found over the years the open dns servers to be far more reliable and faster. ( www.opendns.org ).

I am with Eircom in Cork, I have been using OPENDNS for ages and so far have not had any of the difficulties you guys are having.

Hope this helps
    Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Thank you, to the posters who have explained the opendns stuff to the great unwashed. I now have a fully functioning internet again, despite eircoms best efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Same problems here in Laois also, Was gone last night too. Thanks for posting OpenDNS guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

thanks to everyone telling us how to change to open dns etc. been a great help. thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I can only connect to sites already in my DNS cache despite using OpenDNS =/
    & Google, Yahoo etc are still inaccessible

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

THanks a million guys...

im curious to know how it works - the DNS severs/ open DNS ? Like wouldnt they lose money doing this or are they storing what we browse and then selling it on or something. Couldnt we stop paying eircom for broadband and start using these DNS servers to connect to internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭measurement

aidanodr wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Would those with difficulty PLEASE change their DNS Server settings to OPENDNS IP addresses. These are:

Normally your ROUTER / BB Modem can be accessed via your browser.
    Thanks for this advice. If I change these settings (have to dig out my wireless router userid and pwd which sits between me and the eircom router) will it cause problems with sending email from Eircom email accounts, such as happens when I'm abroad - i.e. they won't let me send unless I'm going through the 'expected' channels?
    If not it seems like an ideal permanent fix. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

I'm getting a problem that I thought was first my ethernet card, I do a lot of web surfing, primarily doing 350+ web pages daily and then another twenty or thirty sites in between gaming sessions. So I tried a wireless card I have laying about, same problem, I try resetting the modem, seems to fix it temporarily, acts up suddenly again, try an older modem which still works, same problem. I then get my hands on a mobile broadband dongle, works perfectly. My main problems is that when I open up Firefox, most of the pages that open by default, gmail and the like, fails. I have to keep refreshing for stuff to to appear and usually the page is corrupted looking and missing backgrounds and so on.

Just logged in here to make a post before phoning Eircom about it. I have worked in a call service before and I know the crap that those poor sods can go through having gone through it myself so when I contact them, I try to not swear blind which is usually my first inclination with some of the poor services. At least not unless it's at a supervisor.

But I digress...

Glad to see it's not a hardware issue. Any one have an idea of when it might be cleared up any time soon?

[Edit] Switched to open DNS and it works! Woot!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement