Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL - DNS Lookups Slow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Thanks both of ye.

Can I ask though, what does this mean for my connection? Are there any dangers/rules against using DNS servers other than eircom ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Jammyc wrote: »
    Are there any dangers/rules against using DNS servers other than eircom ones?

None at all...

Thank God for boards.ie and this thread. In Limerick and it just got bad late on tonight. Changed to the OpenDNS servers or whatever and it's working great. Has Eircom been hacked or something? That woman in lingerie is beguiling!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭yy885

i canot go into the opendns site...it said time out...

Yeah what is the reason for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Overblood wrote: »
    That lingerie thing is strange innit?

Presumably the DNS servers were hacked.. Pretty **** to be honest

anyone know if part of what were paying for is the DNS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Overblood wrote: »
    Do this, it seems to be working for most people around here.

Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
    Sec. DNS: 208.67.220.220

You will have to edit your Netopia Router settings.

http://192.168.1.254/

Go into Expert mode/Configure/Connection:

Primary and Sec DNS settings are there, change to above, and hit Save/Restart button.

i get this message when i enter the secondry "208.67.220.220 was entered for an IP Address. Please reenter."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

mathew wrote: »
    Presumably the DNS servers were hacked.. Pretty **** to be honest

HUH?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mathew wrote: »

Its an essential part of every ISPs service so, yes. Sort of. Nobody in the world would ever offer consumer DSL with no DNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yep the internet is acting totally dodgy here too in south dublin. Thought there was some virus going on with my pc when that pic of the woman in the lingerie came up instead of the normal boards.ie homepage!

No pics are loading on boards either - finally managed to log on here after 1.5 hrs of trying.

Rang eircom support and it was an automated message but it said "we are aware of a problem in your area and are currently trying to fix it".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 kallstrom86

im having terrible trouble with the internet tonight.
    im with eircom. half the time the sites won't load. really pissing me off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

i get this message when i enter the secondry "208.67.220.220 was entered for an IP Address. Please reenter."

Can't figure out where you get that message :confused:. You can leave it blank anyway.

im having terrible trouble with the internet tonight.
    im with eircom. half the time the sites won't load. really pissing me off

So enter the opendns server details as given earlier in this thread. Then you won't be pissed off.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lupo_solitario

Rebel021 wrote: »
    Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
    Sec. DNS: 208.67.220.220

You will have to edit your Netopia Router settings.

http://192.168.1.254/

Go into Expert mode/Configure/Connection:

Primary and Sec DNS settings are there, change to above, and hit Save/Restart button.

The above settings are on the Netopia 2247 wireless router, new GUI.

post originally by Irishpancake

Thank You So Much
    For this

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've been having the same problems. I am a totally clueless when it comes to broadband settings.

My netopia router stopped working some time ago and I'm with Eircom. I bought a netgear one. Anyone able to help me out re where I go to change these settings?

[FONT=&quot]this is ****!! I never go into the config in the router...it said i need to login...but I DONT HAVE A USER ID OR PASSWORK on my hand...I have had lost the box with all the information about it when i move house...anyone got the deafult login password?

the router is the one got from the eircom 6 years ago...

btw
    what does these two FAIL mean??

==== Checking LAN Interfaces
    Check Ethernet LAN connect : PASS
    Check IP connect to Ethernet (LAN) : PASS
    Pinging Gateway : FAIL
    Check MAC-Bridge connect to Ethernet (LAN) : PASS
    Check USB LAN connect : SKIPPED
    ==== Checking DSL (WAN) Interfaces
    Check DSL Synchronization : PASS
    Check ATM Cell-Delineation : PASS
    ATM OAM Segment Ping through (vcc1) : PASS
    ATM OAM End-To-End Ping through (vcc1) : PASS
    Check Ethernet connect to AAL5 (vcc1) : PASS
    Check PPPOE connect to Ethernet (vcc1) : PASS
    Check PPP connect to PPPOE (vcc1) : PASS
    Check IP connect to PPP (vcc1) : PASS
    Pinging Gateway : FAIL
    ==== Checking Miscellaneous
    Check DNS- Query for netopia.com : PASS
    Ping DNS Server Primary IP Address : PASS

[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Thank You So Much
    For this

You are all very welcome, especially Rebel021, who acknowledged Irish Pancake.

Overblood should really follow your example, in respect.

Thanks also to Sweater for a really good guide whisked up pretty rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I think it's fixed now. I didn't switch to openDNS, but I finally got on the ps3 and all sites seem to be working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Same here but I've saved those OpenDNS notes just in case. I'm a bit squeamish about messing around with my router's settings.

Firetrap wrote: »
    Same here but I've saved those OpenDNS notes just in case. I'm a bit squeamish about messing around with my router's settings.

You don't have to mess with the router settings. In Windows, it's possible to set the DNS settings. The down side to this is that you would have to do it on all PCs connected to the router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skykes

It seems that last night from around 10-12 all of Eircom's customers had problems...

Iirc mine stopped at 12:07 +/- 5mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

Having massive issues with Eircom DNS at the moment, I've temporarily changed my DNS server settings, however I think the simple solution to the problem is to dump Eircom and move to a competent ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

If you're not changing ISP, make sure to leave your DNS as is, with OpenDNS. Eircom's DNS is horrible as I'm sure we all know now

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Has nobody in touch with eircom about this? Surely if its a security issue, which it looks very much like it is, they should be made aware? If they are, why no public comment?

Sully wrote: »
    Has nobody in touch with eircom about this? Surely if its a security issue, which it looks very much like it is, they should be made aware? If they are, why no public comment?
    An earlier poster (cant remember the name) said they called and got an automated message saying that they aware of the problem and are trying to fix it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

I was at New Hope LAN at the weekend and if I recall, the hour before I left i couldn't access google maps to find directions. I couldn't even load up google when i got home yesterday. It seems fine now but having slow internet is like having no internet at all. I'm just praying it doesn't happen again by the time i get home tonite...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

The same problem happened to my friend all day yesterday and the start of today. He said it has been fixed now.

So my question: Do I stay with OpenDNS or should I revert back to the original DNS Servers? I'm not being charged differently for the OpenDNS or anything?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You can stick with OpenDNS - it doesnt usually matter who you use for you DNS. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

The same problem happened to my friend all day yesterday and the start of today. He said it has been fixed now.

So my question: Do I stay with OpenDNS or should I revert back to the original DNS Servers? I'm not being charged differently for the OpenDNS or anything?

use both...

• Advertisement

when i try to go into the www.eircom.ie its nothing in there

in www.eircom.net there have alot of pages doesnt have anything in there...

is this my problem?

because i change to opendns yesterday...so i am not too sure is this my problem or their problem...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement