Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC Punchestown 28/06/09

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 **Mac**

The sight of Angus as previously mentioned playing onthe raised stage with the rain lashing him was great. I spent most of the gig standing back in appreciation of them enjoying every last minute of their set. Be good to see some photos from it.

As for the travel situation what can one say what hasnt beensaid already. A pure shambles to put it mildly. I was never in Punchestown before but I aint ever going back, one thing I thought to myself as we plodded another Kilometer closer to the venue is "how the hell can this get a license for so many tickets with tiny back roads like these?!"

Got a text from a mate he left dublin at 3 and got their at 8pm between bus and having to walk most of it..

Only for them getting the empty Double Decker buses down at around 1:45am I think I would still be there.

Also I was surprised there wasnt more fights at the queues for the beer and food , people were just wading in from every angle.. and as for the 5 girls infront of me who didnt seem to look at the stage once and spent the gig taking photos of each other.. why!

I agree on the Double Deckers.... If not for them... a lot of people would still be there... We were on the one that got stuck... We had to push it out!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I saw that! A load of lads trying to shove it. We were the bus behind it when it happened and as we weregoing past our bus started sinking slightly on the same side thankfully we got out ok. Had we sunk I think I may have got myself arrested just to get somewhere warm to sit down for a bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

jusmeig wrote: »
    Amen brother. People ran for the door just before the encore...there is something fundamentally wrong when this happens.

People were leaving long before the encore and in big number.

AC/DC were brilliant, my only gripe with them (and it's a small one) was that there seemed to be too much of a gap between songs. Maybe the lads are getting old and needed the break. Was delighted with Dog Eat Dog and TNT and Shot Down in Flames.

I drove to Naas from Waterford and parked there. Lads had a few pints in town but the queue for the shuttle bus was too big so we walked out. Took about 40 mins. Stayed to the end of the gig and walked back. Didn't even go near the queue for the bus back to Naas. Got back to Waterford at about 2.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

Aspro wrote: »
    Yeah yeah I know Mick. We were fuming that we had to do this but after my wife getting a few (accidental) digs in the stomach from drunken gobshítes during the course of the night and the return bus horror stories from Slane I didn't want to leave our safety to chance. If it had been me on my own I would have been one of the pissheads up the front and got home at 5am, but well, I've more than myself to think about now....;)

fair point, i spose when you are there with more vulnerable people it cant be all me me me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 **Mac**

I saw that! A load of lads trying to shove it. We were the bus behind it when it happened and as we weregoing past our bus started sinking slightly on the same side thankfully we got out ok. Had we sunk I think I may have got myself arrested just to get somewhere warm to sit down for a bit :D

Ridiculous.. We had to push it... the driver told us he'd have to get another bus... (You havin a laugh chap!!:eek:) and we waiting the bones of 3hours for that bus... F*ckin Joke... as i said already... wow on performance, never seen anything like it... etc.. but would think twice about the coming home situation!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭dingbat

Was on a bus at 1.45 so it didn't actually take us too long to get to the gig.

Blizzards... rubbish.

The Answer... loud, cheesy, and exactly what was needed after the Blizzards.

ACDC... amazing. There were four of us there together; two of us are huge fans and two aren't, but they both immediately said it's probably the best gig they've ever been at.

We left the pit as soon as the show ended. Followed the signs and the instructions over the loudspeaker. Got into the Dublin Bus queue. Not at the top of it but we could see far more people behind us than in front - we were in the 2nd row back from the front of the queuing pen with one row full behind us. This will take a while, we said. But everything seemed to be organised ok.

We saw the queue building up but they didn't seem to be going into the other rows in the pen. Very odd, we said. Buses came and left, we didn't move an inch. Also, very odd.

Saw the people in the row behind us change direction and head the other way - the fence had obviously been broken. Turned around to see what the stewards were doing. NO STEWARDS. Initially when we'd been directed into the pen, there had been stewards in each row. None now. I lifted myself up to see what was going on and in the direction in which that row were moving; all I could see was heads. The initial queue that was behind us was now gone, there was a completely empty queuing pen and there was no sense of order anywhere.

Then the barriers at the front collapsed. People pushing through, people running left and right towards anything that looked like a big yellow bus. We left well enough alone and just watched and stood our ground while people surged past us. After about 10 seconds there were about 50 of us still standing there, stunned, looking at an empty field behind us (having been initially towards the front of the "queue") and thousands upon thousands of people now pushing up against the buses. Madness.

We took things easy, walked towards the furthest bus we could find, got on board, sat down, waited. Grand. After a while the bus started to move. Took note of the sheer number of stewards who were literally standing around chatting to each other. We applauded their noble work ethic. Passed by the front of the queue and it was still madness. Felt sorry for the guards and stewards at the front of it who were now linking arms to stop people from spilling into the road under a bus.

I've never, ever seen anything like that. The idiots who crashed the barriers initially should be shot. But then for the stewards to decide that it would be a much better idea to IGNORE their queuing system and instead make it a free-for-all? Absolutely crazy, and absolutely dangerous.

The lack of guards was noted at the time and was puzzling to say the least. Say what you like about them but having a visible garda presence, rather than stewards alone, does wonders for crowd control. The few I saw were right at the front and it didn't seem to occur to any of them that the problems were further back.

A very disappointing end to what had, up to that point, been a great, great gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

If it had been any other group than AC/DC I would have been home by 9.30 p.m. The late start was an insult and the effing group should have been met with a stony silence followed by hissing and booing!

I felt that the barriers were rather flimsy and thankfully we were in the red parking so it was reasonably orderly.

The amount of drunken idiots was apalling. I saw one clown unconscious with his G/F trying to revive him. If the gig started on time I suppose Heineken would not have sold the amount of beer that they did. Are these late starts orchestrated?

Powerful stuff fom AC/DC which made the mess worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Roanmore wrote: »
    People were leaving long before the encore and in big number.

AC/DC were brilliant, my only gripe with them (and it's a small one) was that there seemed to be too much of a gap between songs. Maybe the lads are getting old and needed the break. Was delighted with Dog Eat Dog and TNT and Shot Down in Flames.

I drove to Naas from Waterford and parked there. Lads had a few pints in town but the queue for the shuttle bus was too big so we walked out. Took about 40 mins. Stayed to the end of the gig and walked back. Didn't even go near the queue for the bus back to Naas. Got back to Waterford at about 2.30.

TBH I preferred this. I saw them in April in Birmingham and they rushed through the whole set which was my gripe so I was quiet happy to have a pause to wait for the next song...

The version of "Hell Aint a Bad Place to Be" was unreal..am Youtubing it at the moment....:D

They actaully sounded better then I could ever have imagined..:)

Have to agree with the amount of drunken idiots around...I was just back from the railing seperating the pit and the idiots there werent even paying attention and were proving a distraction for those around.

They were like 12 yr olds at a school tour and they all seemed to be from a particular part of the country (where I was positioned at least)..not pointing any fingers..but lets just say the county starts with the letter "L" and is north of Dublin..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Let their be Rock was the best moment of the concert. Loads of people were leaving during it! They missed For Those About to Rock too. Must have been at slane the week before and realised what a disaster it was going to be and just wanted to get out early.
    Would have been nicer if there was more beer tents and less food. The amound of food tents was mental with hardly anyone queuing at them. The few beer tents (think there were 3) were jammed. Fairly orderly too, fair play to the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

ACDC rocked. Angus is a legend.

MCD sucked. But everyone know that anyway. Organisation was a joke - no closed roads or one way system and a free for all to get on a bus. Dangerous situation created by incompetent system. Lucky to get out early (had to leave during encore - got back to Dublin for 1am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Sorry to dampen this a little. There were huge gaps between songs, I think they were having some problems. I was at the center t shirt stand while the sound was ok it was not great, lots of guitar and vocal fading in and out. I've been to a few at punch and this was the worst sound. One of the reasons people left in let there be rock was because of that interminable solo. Yes its AC/DC yes their legends yes I know to expect that, but when its cold and raining and I'm thinking about the last time I tried getting out of there.....

V good setlist though but again the support was weak, impossible to juge the answer cos the sound was shocking. I'm sick of going to these outdoor gigs and the support acts
    A) getting crap sound
    B) not being allowed to use screens
    Let me see and hear them properly I pay the fcuking ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

F*cks sake, all the complaints.

It's all part of the expierience. Had trouble getting there and back and a hundred other things I can complain about but I'm not going too, f*ck it, it was a great day and you's all got home in the end.

Dirty Deeds..wow :D

I am truelly baffled by the amount of idiotic people that were at that gig. People putting themselves and others at risk by flooding the roads having skipped on thousands of people, knocking over fences and pushing in ques that quite clearly weren't about to go anywhere fast etc. with no self respect and even less respect for those of us around them abiding by the rules, i myself had my ankle wrapped in support due to a very bad sprain but i still waited their as any decent person would, even though after two and a half hours my ankle had long given way and felt as though it was on the verge of crumbling, so all you pricks that thru the rule book out the window **** you and i hope the guy who knocked a steward over the bonnet of his car gets exactly what he deserves too!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Dearg Doom

Come on lads we've all been to totally crap concerts full stop, but when Ac/Dc hit the stage last night the party really began!

We forgot about queues,being soaked etc. and enjoyed the show.
    Angus and Brian are legends.

'Highway to Hell','For those about to Rock' and, de..nunah..nunah nana....ANGUS,(Whole Lotta Rosie) being standouts.

I'm just trying to forget the Park and Ride mess.

Is Phil Rudd the most laid back drummer in the history of RnR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Couldn't agree more dearg doom! Its a concert with thousands of people, no one is gonna prance in and out in minutes! You get on with it! AC/DC were truly unbelievable, thats all that matters! God, angus' solo, just brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭af666x

YT wrote: »
    F*cks sake, all the complaints.

It's all part of the expierience. Had trouble getting there and back and a hundred other things I can complain about but I'm not going too, f*ck it, it was a great day and you's all got home in the end.

Dirty Deeds..wow :D

+1 - so much ****, but my god it was worth it!

Walked up the N7 cos the buses were not moving - made it to the maxol garage in Naas and got some food. Grabbed a bus from Naas, stayed on that until Punchestown, queued for 25 minutes to get 2 tubs of chips, got soaked twice, and was at the front of the free-for-all bus charge at the end!

The organisation end of things was utter utter ****e, but I wouldn't change a damn thing about what happened! Best gig ever, hands down.

People complaining about the rain etc - what's the point? Check a forecast and bring a raincoat if it bothers you that much. I was in a t-shirt for the whole night and still had a great time.

phil rudd may indeed be that but im not sure if thats a good thing, ive always liked the other guy more, the answers drummer on the other hand by **** does he hit those skins!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

AC/DC Brilliant. . . .

Idiots who broke the barriers, flooded roads, started fights. . . . TOOLS!

MCD = Rubbish, I live less than 10 mins away from Punchestown and Our Bus was forced to drive the long way around Naas to come back to Punchestown! (1 1/2HR)!!! MCD are terrible for organising anything for the local area. . .

In Less than two weeks it start's all over again too!

• Advertisement

phil rudd may indeed be that but im not sure if thats a good thing, ive always liked the other guy more, the answers drummer on the other hand by **** does he hit those skins!!!

Yeah he is either very chilled or just going through the motions...he acts more like a chef dishing out in a restaurant...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

What a gig, Angus, up on that podium, epic stuff

arrived at the gig at 3.30 , parked in the blue carpark, no traffic whatsoever,
    left the gig after the fireworks and was in Naas an hour later, took the cross country route home and there was nothing but empty roads, result!

some photos, not great ones at that

28062009482.jpg

28062009478.jpg

28062009484.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭GlindaGale

It was without a doubt, the best gig I've ever been to, the band were on top form and the stage show was spectacular, we were right beside the podium and the sound/view was amazing, especially of course when Angus got up on the podium.

The Dublin Bus disaster couldn't even ruin it for me, even though I was injured in the stampede over the barriers and didn't get home til half 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

AC/DC Brilliant. . . .

Idiots who broke the barriers, flooded roads, started fights. . . . TOOLS!

MCD = Rubbish, I live less than 10 mins away from Punchestown and Our Bus was forced to drive the long way around Naas to come back to Punchestown! (1 1/2HR)!!! MCD are terrible for organising anything for the local area. . .

In Less than two weeks it start's all over again too!

You live less than ten minutes from Punchestown and you got a bus:eek: not clever:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 IgnatiusPop

I had to go to the doc on thursday with an ear infection - he told me I shouldnt go cos It would probably damage me hearing in the affected ear.

Had to sell the ticket in the end...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gilli Babes

daveh32 wrote: »
    Yeah, tell MCD to stop being cheapskates and book a decent venue in the capital or other big towns and cities around the country that are well serviced and easily accessible. All week long the word on the street was to use public transport as private cars would be held back for 2 hours. Got on a bus in Goffs at 4:05pm. Got off bus at 6:20pm and walked the remaining 2km to Punchestown. Left after the show ended (11:15pm-ish), got on a bus eventually (no thanks to Steward 5852 - I'm sorry, you're a f***ing idiot of epic proportions) at 12:40am, arriving in Goffs at 1:50am and eventually home at 2:30am. Now please, mcd, tell me how this is classed as user-friendly. Never again.

Sure when Robbie Williams played Phoenix Park there were lots of complaints about people having to walk too far from the entrance gates to see the concert!! Capital City, loads of public transport - but still poeple complaining!

I think no matter where a concert is - there will always be someone who has an issue about something. I've always just been incredibly lucky with getting home, but there again, haven't relied on public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NerdFaceYou

Best gig ive ever been too. Had to walk 7 miles took us an hour and a half. Got no sleep the night before so we wer pretty wrecked.. the queues, the rain, the lack of sleep, the twenty mins it took us to get a burger ... Was all worth it when that 50 foot train came thru the back of the stage and Angus began to rock. everyone knows these things happen at these gigs but it part of the craic! it was unbelievable. Left before the end. Needed to get bak to dublin reasonably early. Seen every song i wanted to. Rocked out. When the rain instantly stopped wen the intro began to play was a miracle and as soon as angus hit the guitar the sun came out. They Are GODS! :D Loved it! If your so annoyed bout the rain... Its IRELAND! wat did u expect? and the traffic its IRELAND once again! even at the 02 there does be traffic chaos! good oul garda siochana aint exactly world leaders at the whole traffic thing. But F*** it! We got to see ACDC play to a 100,000 People and Blow there minds! Might be the last time we get the chance to!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Went to ACDC last night and it was prob the best gig i have ever been to. The blizzards got a better reception then thought(although not a massive one) when they walked on they said "Sorry were no thin lizzy" The biggest reaction they got was when they start playing the riff for beat it . The Answer were ****in great they show what a irish rock n roll band is like. Then it was time for the mighty DC and they blew eveyone away , angus even came out to a platform at the back of the pit and did a solo while the platform raised and confetti came out of canons. A fireworks display ended the whole night .

We pretty much would have got in for free cause we got a lift in with the gardai but when we went to the barrier this women asked us for our tickets but we ended up talking to the female steward who was dead on (she even said when see was working at slane or her husband was , she said that there were about 10,000/15,000 people who didnt have tickets and got in and also 100 dublin buses didnt turn up that night to bring people back)had great craic with her. We also thought that there wasnt enough stewards around , there was about 10 each side of the walkway but only 5 or 6 on our side(which was the right hand side of the crowd. Also the stewards around the place were useless since none of them knew where the main entrance was which wasnt suprising .

Apart from that it was a very enjoyable gig and getting a lift back in the paddy wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Sinderella

William72 wrote: »
    there's something else at play here folks. have been to gigs in punchestown b4 and seen many many gig crowds pass through over the last few years with no hassle at all. Up until yesterday was thinking that it was one of the better venues. Yesterday was by far the worst I've seen there.
    Have to disagree, was at BonJovi last June and getting home was the exact same shambolic free for all as last night. Not one bus arrived for the Naas Q til after 12:30.

The previous times I was there wasn't as bad, but then it would've been due to a smaller crowd (OzFest) or people camping (oxegen).

Yesterday was by far the worst ever! We got in the Q in Naas just after 6pm. Got to Punchestown just before 9 after we had to get out and jog the last half hour. It's bloody disgraceful! It should not take 3 hours to drive 4 miles! It's not like they didn't know we were coming ffs!

The cannot cope with 70,000 travelling to and from Punchestown for the day. It's just not possible. The only way they will solve that mess is to allow camping. They need to encourage a huge portion of the crowd out of the town and out to the gig asap. I live in Naas and it the state of the town was a f**king disgrace. Not to mention the state of half the drunken / stoned / pi$$ing, vomiting, a$$holes staggering around it.

William72 wrote: »
    Having to leave a gig before the end to make sure you get home is a disgrace and seems to be coming the accepted norm - we should not be accepting that!!!

Couldn't agree more.

I'll be complaining to MCD today, hope the rest of you do too. FYI, our bus driver told us the traffic / bus problem was:
    Goffs was the only Park & Ride, there was none South / East side. So once the 7000 spaces at Goffs were filled, mayhem began. 7,000 spaces for 70,000 people, I'm no genius but I can do that Maths. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Did anyone time Angus' solo, I'm amazed how long it seemed to go on for.

Advertisement