Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Athlone businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I seem to recall there being an Aberakebabra around the Hoey hotel somewhere?
    And there was a functioning petrol station and shop across from the college, now the shop section has a launderette. That whole Diskin centre beside Golden Island is now obsolete, pity they wouldnt let us use the parking in the run up to christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

all the shops in diskin were moved to across the road from aldi, there was plans to put a hotel where diskin is

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Narrator

Diamond Fashion - clothes shop across from Dunnes in Irishtown
    Little odd mini mall downstairs where the Athlone advertiser is now beside Durty Harrys
    used to have a hairdresser (downtown hairstyles? and childrens clothes shop)
    The Corner Shop?? - beside Durty Harrys
    X tra Vision - Where the bookies is now, two floors of bliss, used to rent Evil Dead 2 the whole time
    Shannonside Gym - loved that place
    Dara - shoe shop in church street
    Carolins Arcade (possibly mentioned) - in the Bawn
    Gifts and Games was also in Mardyke St where Blacoes is now
    Small Laundrette beside the joke shop
    Murtaghs shop which used to be called the VG on the way to Assumption road
    Cunniffes Shop - Kierans Terrace up from Dunnes Stores in Montree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Zavvi in the Athlone Town Centre now closed. Wonder what will happen to said centre now?

4 star pizza haven't been open in a while. The sign says 'Under New Management' but nothing happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

The Town Center would be a great spot for any of the big music shops that can do the same as Zavvi it was probably one of the best performing shops in the whole center so it'd be a shame if something similar doesn't take its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It's not going to be HMV since they passed up the oppurunity to buy the store in the fiscal firesale with the five they did purchase.

Besides HMV, there's very few stores that would fill that void that are in a position to set up shop in the mid-lands, even disregarding that shopping centre's fast fading star.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Are Littlewoods planning on opening a shop in the ATC I wonder? They were around town at the weekend handing out chocolates

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kopfan09

Narrator wrote: »
    Diamond Fashion - clothes shop across from Dunnes in Irishtown
    Little odd mini mall downstairs where the Athlone advertiser is now beside Durty Harrys
    used to have a hairdresser (downtown hairstyles? and childrens clothes shop)
    The Corner Shop?? - beside Durty Harrys
    X tra Vision - Where the bookies is now, two floors of bliss, used to rent Evil Dead 2 the whole time
    Shannonside Gym - loved that place
    Dara - shoe shop in church street
    Carolins Arcade (possibly mentioned) - in the Bawn
    Gifts and Games was also in Mardyke St where Blacoes is now
    Small Laundrette beside the joke shop
    Murtaghs shop which used to be called the VG on the way to Assumption road
    Cunniffes Shop - Kierans Terrace up from Dunnes Stores in Montree
    Had great times in Assumption Rd remember Murtaghs well.Does any one remember Bellamys Pub dont know if it is still there.

kopfan09 wrote: »
    Had great times in Assumption Rd remember Murtaghs well.Does any one remember Bellamys Pub dont know if it is still there.

Bellamys has gone under several names since then. I think its called The Quays Bar now and the upstairs is Italian Resteraunt Il Collosso

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

kopfan09 wrote: »

Thanks for that memory I remember wednesdays was blues night in Bellamys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

Sadly Chartbusters in Golden Island is now added to the list.

Toy City in the Dublin Rd closed recently.
    Gemini Nail & Beauty salon, Irishtown - Rosanna Davidson opened it in '07 but it didn't do well. Closed at the start of the year.
    Principles - Athlone Town Centre.
    Bride Way - Northgate St.
    Sally West - Golden Island, closed end of May
    Sasha - Golden Island
    Spectra Photo - , also Golden Island
    The White Swan Cafe - , Church St, in case not mentioned already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Bride Way - Northgate St.

Passed by there the other day, still seems to be going as a wedding clothes (m/f) shop.

Looks like Spectra is a nationwide shut down. Seen one near Grafton Street in Dublin shut down as well.
    I just wonder if the stuff in Dr&Herbs in Golden Island needs to be removed soon before it becomes a bio hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Ah ye..... Keogh's in Connaught Street for a 99 with hundreds and thousands.

Sizzlers - chippers before Abrekebabra. They did good kebabs.

The old Diner out at the college - amazing. The communal breakfast tables in the days of the celtic tiger. A few business studies students and forty builders..........

Music world moved in the old SC from where the post office is to where the entrance to Texas was. Big shiny new store at the time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

flazio wrote: »
    I seem to recall there being an Aberakebabra around the Hoey hotel somewhere?
    And there was a functioning petrol station and shop across from the college, now the shop section has a launderette. That whole Diskin centre beside Golden Island is now obsolete, pity they wouldnt let us use the parking in the run up to christmas.

anyone remember the gym that use to be there? shannonside you would not want to be totally fecked after a work out climbing down those stairs.bit of a crap whole looks wise, but still a great gym, tv out loud with decent music stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I only lived in Athlone for about 5 years yet it is scary how many of those vanished businesses I know. A real melting pot of a town.

Two more casualties in the Athlone Towncentre:
    Fashion Direct/Paco - liquidation, nationwide
    Premaman - spotted the now empty unit earlier today. And it's not a liquidation this time - they simply pulled out.
    The Bag Shop - in Golden Island is holding a liquidation sale - most large bags there for a fiver. Don't know of confirmed closure here, but it is closing its Galway branch on Sunday.

Sony Centre in Belhavel shut up shop in the last week.

• Advertisement

The Bag Shop - in Golden Island is holding a liquidation sale - most large bags there for a fiver. Don't know of confirmed closure here, but it is closing its Galway branch on Sunday.

Was there another bag shop in ATC thats now gone too?

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Was there another bag shop in ATC thats now gone too?

Bentley - unknown if that's still there. Must check.

Edit: shutters are down - another one gone in old Athlone SC II, I mean the ATC.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

Edit: shutters are down - another one gone in old Athlone SC II, I mean the ATC.

Not even that old and already doomed to failure it seems. Shame.

Larkin Interiors - Monksland, closing down sale this month
    The Shoe Gallery - opposite Irishtown Dunnes, closed on Tuesday.

End-of-summer roundup:

Casey's Autogroup Athlone: closed August, made headline news.
    Vibe: Golden Island, reopening as Dress 4 Less there.
    Rene Cusack: fish shop in Belhavel, just saw the shutters down there today...
    Budget Travelshop: due to close down later this year in Golden Island

I was in the old SC the other day and I think James McBride butchers and the Post Office are the only shops left in the whole place :eek:

Speaking of Rene Cusack and the like, is the other fishmonger with the trailer still trading at St Marys Square?

A Polish shop has replaced the Spar, last time I checked (Friday). I think the other fishmonger is still there.

Speaking of old SC, saw "Texas Department Store" banners draped over the wall there on Friday, with no other info, which were not there previously. Probably advertising the one in Roscommon, I don't know.

Shannon Dry Cleaners and Blacoe Jewellers are still there inside...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Premaman - spotted the now empty unit earlier today. And it's not a liquidation this time - they simply pulled out.

They didnt pull out..they were late with rent for shop on many occasions and the managers took their newely aquired stock and staff were told to go home as they were not allowed to open until further.:eek::eek:

It has been replaced (as of monday gone) by a new place selling rugs/mats along with other furniture items..including a fireplace(which looks kinda nice tbh):D:D

also Biddy Mulligans is closed.

Do any of ye remember Pat Mann's pub there in Sean Costello St. now called Sean Og

Danny_B wrote: »
    Do any of ye remember Pat Mann's pub there in Sean Costello St. now called Sean Og

Ahh Jean Pierre Pat Mann :D

Yep, barely enough room for a crowd but room for a pool table out the back.
    One of the few places in town you were guarenteed to get a pint even if you were wearing a school uniform ... "Its Ok Pat, were repeating the Leaving" :)

I remember seeing a band play there years ago. I think the guitarist had togstand in the toilet.

Its gone through a couple of name changes since being called Sean Og's. It was The Forge at one stage and very briefly something like the Horse & Hound???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Ahh Jean Pierre Pat Mann :D

Yep, barely enough room for a crowd but room for a pool table out the back.
    One of the few places in town you were guarenteed to get a pint even if you were wearing a school uniform ... "Its Ok Pat, were repeating the Leaving" :)

I remember seeing a band play there years ago. I think the guitarist had togstand in the toilet.

Its gone through a couple of name changes since being called Sean Og's. It was The Forge at one stage and very briefly something like the Horse & Hound???

Yea was called The Forge then O' Briens and the Horse & Hound (for about a week or so)

Advertisement