Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Athlone businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

whyulittle wrote: »
    What was on the site of Rayners, before the building literally started to fall down.
    quote]

That was Brawny Sports - Ran by two teachers from the marist (Parker & Kinahan)
    Also Movie World - Video rental store in Old Shopping centre.
    Is Reubens Sandwich bar gone?
    Preachers Bar where the prince is - That was a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Preachers Bar where the prince is - That was a great spot.

I think that may have been one of the 1st pubs around town to have bouncers on the door. Other than that how in the name of Jebus does Ricks stay open.
    Any time I've been there there has only been a handful of people in. Never understood why they needed bouncers either. Some nights there seem to be more staff than customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

yeah ricks is dead, even on a sat night there is no one in it. and ever since it opened, the top of it never held any people. which makes it look even emptier. Its a shame because it could be a decent bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fiffy

James Blacoe Jewellers also still open and usually seems busy funny enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

PJ Walshs shop on the Dublin Road where Auburn Laundrette is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

is Ricks even open any more? A few times I've passed with friends and consider going in for a pint, it's closed. The problem with the top part of Ricks is, once you get in, you're fine, but if you need to go to the loo, and if it was busy, you had to pass through a bottleneck of people that was normally just not worth the hassle.

whyulittle wrote: »

Is Reubens Sandwich bar gone?

Think they're just doing the sandwiches now (pre-packed) in the same premises, but the cafe end is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Bag Shop - in Golden Island is holding a liquidation sale - most large bags there for a fiver. Don't know of confirmed closure here, but it is closing its Galway branch on Sunday.
    Well I was in Golden Island today and the Bag Shop was unpacking its....
    yeah well anyway it looks like it's coming back, lucky for them their signage was never taken down.

I'll answer my own question, yes Ricks is still open, was in there for a few the other night, not a bad crowd there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

The bag shop replaced - "Bag n Baggage" which is also in Galway.

Shanique - in ATC, the shutters were down for the last three or so weeks.
    Did a look around the east side of the town recently - and found one to two thirds of it are empty.

• Advertisement

Vanilla Garden no longer in Athlone Towncentre.

At the same time both Sligo and Kilkenny get HMVs.

I'd say in a year's time the ATC's fate will be the same as the old Texas centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Vanilla Garden no longer in Athlone Towncentre.

At the same time both Sligo and Kilkenny get HMVs.

I'd say in a year's time the ATC's fate will be the same as the old Texas centre.

Yea they pulled out on Tuesday evening. Theres a new soap and candle place where Altimentio (think its spelled right) in the ATC and a gift shop where Pre mamon (Spelling aint the best) also in the ATC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    is Ricks even open any more? A few times I've passed with friends and consider going in for a pint, it's closed. The problem with the top part of Ricks is, once you get in, you're fine, but if you need to go to the loo, and if it was busy, you had to pass through a bottleneck of people that was normally just not worth the hassle.

just go out to the smoking area and go into the pub down stairs, harvey's much better pub (same owners i think)

Irish Soap in ATC, also saw that in Galway. An art/hobby shop has replaced Shanique.

Another blast from the past - Judy Greene pottery in Belhavel, was there earlier in the decade I think.

Garbz seems to be gone too. Well the shop unit is up for lease.

One that I doubt too many tears will be shed over it's demise,
    The McDonalds across from Golden Island has a planning notice for intent for a change from Restaurant to Banking premises.
    Odd that, despite the poor reputation it does pick up a lot of shoppers.

Esprit and Bentley furniture, gone in the last two weeks.

United Colours of Benetton moving in to where Esprit was (saw the sign on front)

Also Zavvi's lights were switched on and activity going on inside on Friday.

Also, Snoooz & Shoes, in Left Bank, closing down sale this month.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Esprit and Bentley furniture, gone in the last two weeks.

United Colours of Benetton moving in to where Esprit was (saw the sign on front)

Also Zavvi's lights were switched on and activity going on inside on Friday.

Also, Snoooz & Shoes, in Left Bank, closing down sale this month.

Sadly I couldnt see Snooze surviving! The price for most of there good where unf**king real expensive! Like a simple light all fancied up costing €100 +

• Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

is there somthing going into were zavvi was. would be nice if hmv came

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

we'd never be that lucky!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I loved zavvi when they where here and how cheap it was! Awful pity they closed down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

i love going into hmv and picking up fresh copies of old cd's which are scratched beyond use and slapping them into the cd player on the way home. 3 for €20 - those kind of deals.

I hate downloads! Restore the CD to its former glory! Love going in to the big record shops and browsing away for half an hour.

Latest victim in Golden Island is The Jean Scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Permanent TSB in golden island is moving to where mcdonalds is.

flazio wrote: »
    Latest victim in Golden Island is The Jean Scene

Finally!!! Feels like they have been advertising last week of closing sale since about a week after they opened

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

1950s rouses chemists mardykest ,the music box(records) the lyons den ,egans irishtown,foys for toys,tommy caseys prefab top assumption rd gone.Adelphi, the cyclists rest,caseys supply store,morans butchers,the arcade,grenhams grocers, galvins hogans,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

paddyandy wrote: »
    1950s rouses chemists mardykest ,the music box(records) the lyons den ,egans irishtown,foys for toys,tommy caseys prefab top assumption rd gone.Adelphi, the cyclists rest,caseys supply store,morans butchers,the arcade,grenhams grocers, galvins hogans,

That was hard to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 valz08

latest victim is Adams childrens clothes shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smulliga

Connaught Street from 1970's, starting from top of Pearse Street.
    Mary Fitzgeralds Sweet shop. (GONE)
    Walls Clothes shop. (GONE)
    Paddy's Lamb / Mulligans butcher shop. (GONE)
    Lysters pub. (GONE)
    McGuires pub. (GONE)
    Keoghs sweet shop. (GONE)
    Egans chip shop. (GONE)
    Lyons?? insurance. (GONE)
    Murry's pub. (GONE)

Car Park

Whytes bicycle shop??? (GONE)
    Fitzgeralds fish mungers. (GONE)
    ?????
    Kenny's VG supermarket. (GONE)
    Mc Graths pub.
    Myers Dentist. (GONE)
    Hardymans bicycle shop. (GONE)
    O'Meara's butcher. (GONE)
    Foyes tackle shop. (GONE)
    Bakery.
    Tara House pub.
    Walshs pub grocery.

End Street
    Other side from Battery end.

• Advertisement

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Finally!!! Feels like they have been advertising last week of closing sale since about a week after they opened

Actually I just noticed that Jean Scene its open again under a different name

Advertisement