Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning - May Contain Meat!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

smegmar wrote: »
    This one really surprised me, beef gelatin, I don't understand why, other frosted cereals don't need it.

5000127207899_200.jpg

no way! iv never had these before but i never would have even thought to look!!!
    any other cereals like this i wonder?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

it seems to just be frosted cereals where i've noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

it seems to just be frosted cereals where i've noticed.

Yes - I remember noticing this on other cereals in the past, quite a few actually. Can't remember which ones though.

-lala- wrote: »
    Yes - I remember noticing this on other cereals in the past, quite a few actually. Can't remember which ones though.

scary stuff! crunchy nut corn flakes and shreddies are my two favs, im hoping theyre good! eek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

maameeo wrote: »
    scary stuff! crunchy nut corn flakes and shreddies are my two favs, im hoping theyre good! eek!

I'm pretty sure regular corn flakes are fine. Dunno about any others. Except rice krispies actually, they're grand.

• Advertisement

-lala- wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure regular corn flakes are fine. Dunno about any others. Except rice krispies actually, they're grand.

its gona take me forever to do my cereal shopping now, ill have to read all the boxes! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

I hate that those frosted wheats have beef gelatine in them. What possible need would they have to do that?! Especially considering the majority of their other cereals are animal free?
    taram wrote: »
    Pills are an obvious one, I think of the 4 I'm currently on, only one is vegetarian. 2 have gelatine caps, one is a bright pink from carmine. Went looking for omega 3 oils for my sister and found a couple that said 'vegetarian caps!' proudly on the label but still were fish oils inside :confused: don't get the point of that!

Whey/rennet turns up in a lot of crisps/snacks even my beloved Salt and Vinegar Snack a Jacks. :( Ate about 5 packs before I checked :( Random vegetable soups having chicken stock or 1% dehydrated ham or something is a pain. Ironically my sister brought two of the same brand of soup home last night, chicken had vegetable stock, vegetable had chicken stock. Can't win :D

Fear not!!! The salt and vinegar Snack a Jacks are now vegetarian!! Every now and then I would get a longing for a packet and would check the ingredients whenever I saw them....and it paid off because to my joy I found out a few weeks ago they took out the nasties and they are veggie again!! WOOO!!! (they are in fact vegan! double WOO!)
    Nature Boy wrote: »
    Do Colgate test on animals?
    I seem to remember reading something that they do. I think they are linked with Palmolive...maybe I'm wrong.
    Peanut wrote: »
    May not be so bad.. that sounds more like beetroot juice extract than beetlejuice :-p
    Haha remember him?! Mad looking lad he was. Didn't scare me when I was a kid but it scares me now!

And as for Club Orange being vegetarian - as far as I can figure out it's fine :) I can't see anything stating otherwise!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Eviecus wrote: »

Haha remember him?! Mad looking lad he was. Didn't scare me when I was a kid but it scares me now!
    beetlejuice! beetlejuice! beetlejuice!
    And as for Club Orange being vegetarian - as far as I can figure out it's fine :) I can't see anything stating otherwise!
    Know about rockshandy??

I am unsure of drinks containing beta carotene, they may not be veggie, tehy may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

beetlejuice! beetlejuice! beetlejuice!

Know about rockshandy??

I am unsure of drinks containing beta carotene, they may not be veggie, tehy may be.

Haha did Beetlejuice appear to you? I hope he did...but part of me is scared too...mixed feelings...he is freaky looking.

I think the rock shandy is ok too. I trust it to the point that I've been drinking it myself so if it does have crushed up bugs or fish in it then I am contaminated. I have only ever read about Fanta having fish in it, never seen mention of Club. Just steer clear of all Fanta, they're the devil! Oh and I noticed that some red lemonades have bugs in them:( Stupid colouring...why not use beetroot of some other natural red colouring?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No beetlejuice for me! Oh well. Next time. I like stripes.
    Hope theya re ok, I've been drinking em too, must make sure when I can though, just in case. Ye I stay clear of fanta/lilt etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

In view of the Guinness 250 Celebrations, I emailed them last week about the isinglass issue and got a nice email back, apologizing but

"Production processes in the UK/Ireland are subject to strict EU legislation and at present isinglass is the only fining agent suitable for stout, which has been approved in the UK and Ireland. Any new fining agent, especially synthetic substitutes, would not be approved for food without rigorous testing both in Europe and by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the United States. As yet there are no suitable alternatives available."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

In view of the Guinness 250 Celebrations, I emailed them last week about the isinglass issue and got a nice email back, apologizing but

"Production processes in the UK/Ireland are subject to strict EU legislation and at present isinglass is the only fining agent suitable for stout, which has been approved in the UK and Ireland. Any new fining agent, especially synthetic substitutes, would not be approved for food without rigorous testing both in Europe and by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the United States. As yet there are no suitable alternatives available."

If O'Hara's can do it why can't Guiness and Murphy's?

Advertisement