Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning - May Contain Meat!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Personally, I amn't keen on things like.. you order a sandwich from a sandwich making place - you see them slice a chicken filled sandwich with the same knife that they are about to use on your sandwich - order canceled!

I thought I was the only one who did this. Are Mcd, BK and chippers still cooking there chips with beef fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Vegan list:

Coco Pops
    Coco Pops Mega Munchers
    Corn Flakes
    Frosties
    Frosties Reduced Sugar
    Fruit Winders
    Just Right
    Rice Krispies
    Rice Krispies Multi-Grain Shapes
    Special K
    Raisin Wheats

http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/products/default.aspx ;)

Almost certain that Special K have some form of milk in them. I was so disappointed about that... One of the few cereals I like.

Don't know if anyone said this already, but Avonmore whipped cream has geletine in it. It's the pre-whipped stuff in a tub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Oh yes, I think we had some issues with that kellogs website. I'll add the Avonmore whipped cream to the sticky - i'm very surprised to hear it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I noticed one of my nephews eating a packet of Rancheros and looked at the back of the packaging when he was finished, half curious if they actually conatined bacon. I was surprised to see a suitable for vegetarian symbol on them, nut was more surprised to see the colouring used was carmine.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no vegetarian sources of carmine, its always from the beetle. Should I email them about this?(assuming there is no veggie source of carmine) Is there somewhere else I could complain about this too that might have a better outcome?

A few weeks ago aswell I saw "The Little Red Deli" brand "white belgian chocolate covered strawberries" in Aldi, which have "suitable for vegetarians" printed on them, yet contain shellac. Should we start complaining about this to advertising standards, or the health department or something?

They might claim that there are only trace amounts of animal in the food, but would they get away with it, if they claimed their food was suitable for nut-allergy sufferers and yet contained trace amounts of nuts?

Regarding your point on Shellac, when I was living in England, I came across a similar situation with chocolate covered peanuts in an Iceland shop.

Long story short...rang their customer advice number and (fair play to them) they investigated it with their labelling departement who in turn got back to me.

They pointed out that shellac is a secretion of the insect and not part of the insect itself i.e. shellac is something the insect shíts out. And so, shellac is vegetarian (but not vegan obviously).

I was always of the impression that shellac was dead beetles or something similar but on looking it up on wikipedia, it's the secretion and not the insect itself.

I was always under the impression that shellac and carmine were the same thing... :confused:

Wiki-ed them and now it turns out they aren't. Shellac seems to be suitable for veggies but carmine/cochineal isn't. One's just secretion and the other is squished bugs. Checked the vegsoc website and it says the same. So anything with shellac seems to be grand for veggies.

And on a side note, Dairygold with added Omega has fish oil in it (surprise, surprise!)

Edit: Does Club Orange, Lemon and Rock Shandy have fish geletine in it? I know they have Beta Carotene, so I'm wondering... Has anyone ever gotten in touch with who ever makes them to find out?

• Advertisement

Sorry to double post...

I checked Special K today, it has dried skimmed milk in it. Alpen also has just about every derivative of milk in it... :(

Ah! Alpen! I'd never thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Its says on that Kellogs website that its Special K Medley not regular Special K thats vegan, theres ten varieties of Special K so finding a shop that stocks that one might be hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

Will never look at a box of Alpen in the same way again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Aoifums wrote: »
    I was always under the impression that shellac and carmine were the same thing... :confused:

Wiki-ed them and now it turns out they aren't. Shellac seems to be suitable for veggies but carmine/cochineal isn't. One's just secretion and the other is squished bugs. Checked the vegsoc website and it says the same. So anything with shellac seems to be grand for veggies.

Thing about shellac is that while the pure resin itself is suitable for veggies (it is like honey in that respect, its just a secretion of an insect), the way they collect it usually gets the insect as well as the resin. It says so in the uses section in wikipedia
    Wikipedia wrote:
    This coating may not be considered as vegetarian as it may, and probably does, contain crushed insects.

However, it does seem like vegsoc approve shellac from Capol, so maybe its possible to get shellac collected in such a way that no insects are harvested with the resin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Did anyone see in this mornings Metro that there might be enzymes from pig sources in 90% of bread? Its not labeled on the ingredients as the enzymes are distroyed during baking. If this is true is not only unfair to veggies but to Muslim and Jewish too.

Yeah, I noticed the article title over someones shoulder on the bus. Sounds dodgy indeed. Were many facts/brand names given? I wouldn't be too certain about things read in a free daily early morning paper... But some back-up would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

biZrb wrote: »
    Did anyone see in this mornings Metro that there might be enzymes from pig sources in 90% of bread? Its not labeled on the ingredients as the enzymes are distroyed during baking. If this is true is not only unfair to veggies but to Muslim and Jewish too.

Yeah I saw it. Here it is for those who haven't read it:
    http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?Most_bread_not_fit_for_vegetarians&in_article_id=636820&in_page_id=34

There's also a story in the UK veg society site:

http://www.vegsoc.org/news/2009/bread.html?page=24

Nobody seems to know for sure! It would surely be stopped (in the UK anyway) if it turns out to be true.

Thanks for the links. Hopefully we will be hearing more about this being resolved/investigated soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I've noticed a lot of bread doesn't say 'suitable for vegetarians' on the label. At first I thought this was an oversight but then I noticed that one type of bread from a certain manufacturer might say 'suitable for vegetarians' and another type of bread from the same manufacturer wouldn't. I only noticed this very recently and it seemed a bit odd.

Hovis granary bread (original and wholemeal) says on the label 'suitable for vegetarians and vegans'. Maybe other Hovis bread is also suitable for vegetarians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

do they have to state if its suitable for vegitarians?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

do they have to state if its suitable for vegitarians?
    In general? No, they do for obvious marketing reasons if it is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Kelloggs pop tarts have beef gelatin in them, how annoying like , what's the point ??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

jape wrote: »
    Kelloggs pop tarts have beef gelatin in them, how annoying like , what's the point ??

I miss those things ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

is there any marshmallows that dont have gelatin in them???
    i think they are the only thing i miss! i know theres the realy sticky marshmallow stuff in coconut balls but i mean proper marshmallows. :(

• Advertisement

The only place I've seen them is in online vegan stores. I got a pack once and they were strange. Then again, I was never a huge marshmallow fan before. http://www.veganstore.co.uk/ try to get them in but they are often out of stock.

i should treat myself and order some! lol

its probably already said but you should check with the doc or pharmacist before taking tablets, lot of them have gelatin cases, but there is always an alternative drug. my pharmacist used to go mad, didnt understand that id keep up the 'strict vegetarian' thing when im dying sick. lol

Yeah, i went a bit mad trying to find paracetamol a few months ago. I think most had shellac to seal the outer coating of the tablet where it wasn't a gelatin-encased one. The ones in the powdered form are the ones to look for. I think it was panadol which is the brand I got, but lemsip does the trick too. The solpadine powdered ones were ok too, I think, but they contained caffene and I wanted to avoid that.

oh i nearly had heart failure there when u mentioned solpadeine! im forever taking that! its addictive! thought you wer gona say its non veggie! lol

the antibiotics are the hardest, the non gelatin tabs are usually not as good (nothing to do with the gelatin of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

Wow this thread is an eye opener. There is just too much here to avoid.

What I've noticed is that so many products, the addition of the animal product is completely superfluous.

There doesn't seem to be a good reason why producers contaminate Fanta with gelatine, Mr. Kipling with Cochineal etc.

Not very appetising...

Ah, don't let it get you down. There are heaps of tastey foods which are ok. And it's great to buy from a company where you are happy with their production method :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

I've noticed a lot of bread doesn't say 'suitable for vegetarians' on the label. At first I thought this was an oversight but then I noticed that one type of bread from a certain manufacturer might say 'suitable for vegetarians' and another type of bread from the same manufacturer wouldn't. I only noticed this very recently and it seemed a bit odd.

Ah, that rings a bell - did some googling and
    "L-cysteine - Improving agent
    Produced commercially from animal and human hair (and feathers). When produced from animal hair it is almost certain that all L-cysteine is taken from slaughtered animals. When human hair is used it is often sourced from women in third-world countries. L-cysteine is used as an additive in around 5% of bread and other bakery products. It is not used in wholemeal bread or other wholemeal bakery products."
    Yuck
    Hovis granary bread (original and wholemeal) says on the label 'suitable for vegetarians and vegans'. Maybe other Hovis bread is also suitable for vegetarians.
    Rule of thumb seems to be; wholemeal = vegan, white = not

i wonder why it is not used in wholemeal bread...

i agree. yuk indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

This one really surprised me, beef gelatin, I don't understand why, other frosted cereals don't need it.

5000127207899_200.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Ah, that rings a bell - did some googling and
    "L-cysteine - Improving agent
    Produced commercially from animal and human hair (and feathers). When produced from animal hair it is almost certain that all L-cysteine is taken from slaughtered animals. When human hair is used it is often sourced from women in third-world countries. L-cysteine is used as an additive in around 5% of bread and other bakery products. It is not used in wholemeal bread or other wholemeal bakery products."
    Yuck

Rule of thumb seems to be; wholemeal = vegan, white = not

Eww!

Advertisement