Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion or Fallout 3 - which to buy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,135 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Having both of them I prefer Oblivion, don't know why but the combat feels better, the 1st person viewpoint in Fallot 3 is how I played it and I'm used to, in FPS anyways, hitting targets I get square in my sights, but in Fallout 3 some invisible D20 is rolled and the stats totted up to tell you, nope, you've missed, again.
    Also, I like the changes in climate and culture you get travelling around in Oblivion, while the rather monotone wastelands of Fallout 3 are a tad boring.
    Perhaps I simply didn't give Fallout 3 enough of my time, I may go back to it someday
    Yeah but that was the exact same story in Morrowind too. You point, you shoot, you roll a die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

You are doing yourself a disservice if you miss out on Oblivion but if you play Fallout 3 first you'll probably find it hard to get into Oblivion.

I only got about half way through Oblivion first time around, completely finished Fallout and am back to Oblivion now.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Buy Fallout. Pick up a copy of Morrowind Collectors Edition.

Profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I bought Fallout on Friday.

The thing that has surprised me is the amount of side quests that are available. I haven't even started the main story quest and where ever I go I seem to get caught up in another side quest. I haven't completed any yet as I keep getting side tracked.

I'm really enjoying it but the game is giving me motion sickness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I bought Fallout on Friday.

The thing that has surprised me is the amount of side quests that are available. I haven't even started the main story quest and where ever I go I seem to get caught up in another side quest. I haven't completed any yet as I keep getting side tracked.

Its the same with Oblivion - although I think there are perhaps more side quests in Oblivion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Fallout 3 has more of a point to it, Oblivion is quite 'Zen', you can just wander and nibble at side quests at your leisure. I love the God\Deity quests in Oblivion. Some fairly surreal stuff going on.

I think it is unfair to compare like for like, Radiation 'n' Zombies V Magic Fireballs and glass tipped arrows..

Yeah the time limit on Fallout 1 keeps making me anxious whenever I consider wether I want to do a sidequest or not. Driving me mad a bit. Think I'll try out Oblivion though. I did love morrowind despite never finishing it. And the save I had on my xbox is now destroyed, along with the xbox :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,011 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just finished Fallout 3 and the last 3 expansions and every side mission and area explored. 105 hours of my life, the most I've ever poured into a single player experience I think. I've finally gotten my life back and can start back into persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah the time limit on Fallout 1 keeps making me anxious whenever I consider wether I want to do a sidequest or not. Driving me mad a bit. Think I'll try out Oblivion though. I did love morrowind despite never finishing it. And the save I had on my xbox is now destroyed, along with the xbox :(

The time limit goes in Fallout1 away once you find your mcguffin and tbh you can extend the time limit by buying water from the water merchants so it really sohuldn't get in your way too much.

Once you get rid of the time limit you are pleny free to wander the wastes early on in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just finished Fallout 3 and the last 3 expansions and every side mission and area explored. 105 hours of my life, the most I've ever poured into a single player experience I think. I've finally gotten my life back and can start back into persona.

The life of a hardcore RPG addict: after you get your life back from one game, you start looking for the next fix :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Oblivion finally on Steam . . . ;)

€22.39 for Morrowind Game of The Year and Oblivion Game of The Year with all DLC's.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1683/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

€22.39 for Morrowind Game of The Year and Oblivion Game of The Year with all DLC's.

oh yes you wouldnt want to forget the horse armour now :P

I downloaded it over the weekend :rolleyes: but the erm... trial. Has me well convinced to buy this legit.

And for $20? wow.

The Real question is, will Steamcloud hold my save files though... edit: screw it. My karma will thank me in the morning. *ka ching*

next question: does ANYONE know how i might hopscotch my current set of saves? :pac:

I downloaded it over the weekend :rolleyes: but the erm... trial. Has me well convinced to buy this legit.

And for $20? wow.

The Real question is, will Steamcloud hold my save files though... edit: screw it. My karma will thank me in the morning. *ka ching*

next question: does ANYONE know how i might hopscotch my current set of saves? :pac:

I will be installing it later on today, so I can let you know then - but you basically just need to find where the Steam version has the game files saved, and move your old save files into that folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Is anyone having trouble buying Oblivion on Steam? I keep getting "Your billing address doesn’t look like it matches up with your current country" which is odd because none of my details have changed in the 5 odd years I've been using steam :(

Edit: Woo, just found out my work IP now locates me as being in San Diego. Yay cheaper Steam games!

Double Edit: S*it, it refuses my credit card and Paypal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    That's your first mistake: buying those two games for the PS3. But if you have no other choice, Fallout 3 is the better game for gameplay because it does right what Oblivion did so wrong. That said, Oblivion is a deeper experience if you persist with it and ignore the random loot and useless leveling system.

What do you mean by "And ignore the random loot and useless leveling system".

The loot is not useless, and money and lockpicks can be found in shabby chests, which can be sold for valuable gold. As for the leveling system, how is that useless? A lot of quest rewards are level dependent (ie: for a level 1, you could get 20 gold, and for level 50 is 400.) Neither of these are annoying, and as you level up, your skills will drastically be increased.

You've probably decided what game to buy (Directed at OP) but my advice would be Oblivion, as the game world, NPCs and story are ten times better than Fallout 3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

vflhp wrote: »
    You've probably decided what game to buy (Directed at OP) but my advice would be Oblivion, as the game world, NPCs and story are ten times better than Fallout 3.
    NPC's in Oblivion are better? :eek:

Fallout is technically a better game. It took what Oblivion did wrong, fixed/updated it, and made a more complete package. Saying that, i still prefered Oblivion. I prefer the Fantasy genre that its set in, compared to the Post-Apoc setting of Fallout.

Either way, both are fantastic game, and both deserve to be played.

I decided to go with Fallout 3 in the end. I'm not regretting it at all, super game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

oblivion > fallout for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Helix wrote: »
    oblivion > fallout for me

Seconded, I thought Oblivion had the edge over Fallout 3. Must have played Oblivion for over 90hrs. Completed Fallout 3 in 16hr (yes I am aware there is a load more to explore but with the game completed the incentive just isn't there).

• Advertisement

if u want to be depressed, buy fallout.. the most dark desolate shlte landscape ever ina game. compare this to the likes of leyawin..

gameplay wise oblivion wins hands down imo. fallout got about 15 hours out of me nd by then i hated the combat system. with oblivion its much better to enchant weapons and make spells.

id give fallout 7/10, oblivion 9/10 nd morrowind 9.5/10

When I am done playing Fallout I will probably go and buy Oblivion and see what that is like.

BuddhaJoe wrote: »
    Is anyone having trouble buying Oblivion on Steam? I keep getting "Your billing address doesn’t look like it matches up with your current country" which is odd because none of my details have changed in the 5 odd years I've been using steam :(

Edit: Woo, just found out my work IP now locates me as being in San Diego. Yay cheaper Steam games!

Double Edit: S*it, it refuses my credit card and Paypal :(

Your CC details need to match your country location I think. Contact support, they will be able to sort it out.:)

Buddha make sure you arent using your proxy ;)

btw i googled game cd key merchant and got this: give it a lash. seems the US equivalent of that other UK site that does somethingsomething.

http://www.cdkey-game.com/

probably plenty more like it if you look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Buddha make sure you arent using your proxy ;)

btw i googled game cd key merchant and got this: give it a lash. seems the US equivalent of that other UK site that does somethingsomething.

http://www.cdkey-game.com/

probably plenty more like it if you look

Yeah I managed to get it in the end, had to order it at home.

As for http://www.cdkey-game.com/ stay well away! I came across that a few weeks ago and bought Fallout 3 & The Last Remnant. Two weeks after my purchase steam removed them saying their was a payment issue :(

Karma wins: overheal lands another job interview for the cause :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

What do you mean by "And ignore the random loot and useless leveling system".

The loot is not useless, and money and lockpicks can be found in shabby chests, which can be sold for valuable gold. As for the leveling system, how is that useless? A lot of quest rewards are level dependent (ie: for a level 1, you could get 20 gold, and for level 50 is 400.) Neither of these are annoying, and as you level up, your skills will drastically be increased.

Google 'Vanilla Oblivion' or read this A Word on Absence and Design to understand what I mean by "ignore the random loot and useless leveling system".

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Google 'Vanilla Oblivion' or read this A Word on Absence and Design to understand what I mean by "ignore the random loot and useless leveling system".
    Do you perhaps have the readers digest version? @_@

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Do you perhaps have the readers digest version? @_@
    I thought that was the readers digest version?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mattyvs

Falout is boring. Bethesda took their time with it so i expected a great game, but it just seemed to be oblivion with guns and a change of scenery. I'm not saying its a bad game (its really good) but oblivion is better

Advertisement