Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion or Fallout 3 - which to buy?

Options
  • 11-06-2009 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

I am interested in trying out a role playing game and I am trying to decide between Oblivion and Fallout 3.

I like both the fantasy and sci-fi settings so either game sounds pretty good. Any suggestions on which I should get? I'll be buying it for the PS3.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Fallout 3. Oblivion is a soulless monotonous abomination not worth the DVD it's burned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

I am interested in trying out a role playing game and I am trying to decide between Oblivion and Fallout 3.

I like both the fantasy and sci-fi settings so either game sounds pretty good. Any suggestions on which I should get? I'll be buying it for the PS3.

That's your first mistake: buying those two games for the PS3. But if you have no other choice, Fallout 3 is the better game for gameplay because it does right what Oblivion did so wrong. That said, Oblivion is a deeper experience if you persist with it and ignore the random loot and useless leveling system.

Whatever you do, do not buy both. You will never, ever, ever leave you room again.

I liked Oblivion - it's a very deep game with an insane amount of quests and sidequests. The combat system was its main disadvantage. Fallout3 is seemingly smaller in both map and gameplay (from what I can tell.. I may be open to correction), but has a far better and more entertaining combat system.

Also there's swear words and a lot of blood. With more varied enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Buying them on PS3 is fine. I would go with Fallout 3, it's more fun and engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I would recommend Fallout 3 if you had to pick one but I'd recommend the two of them because they are both great games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

For some reason I was expecting more support for Oblivion. Thanks for the responses.

I forgot to add Zelda: Twilight Princess into my post. I was trying to find that in shops recently but I couldn't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I finished Fallout 3 on pc a while ago and am now playing through Oblivion on 360. While I'm loving Oblivion, Fallout 3 was the better of the two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For some reason I was expecting more support for Oblivion. Thanks for the responses.

I forgot to add Zelda: Twilight Princess into my post. I was trying to find that in shops recently but I couldn't find it.

Well Zelda: Twilight Princess definitely isn't an RPG, damn fine game it is though.

There's not much support for Oblivion because Fallout 3 is basically oblivion except with an interesting world rather than a dull uninspired fantasy one, better combat, guns, gore and irons out most of the flaws with Oblivion.

I hated Oblivion and thought it was impressive but soulless and boring. On the other hand Fallout 3 has taken over my life and I'm currently standing at 85 hours on my save game searching through the last 3 areas on the map before I start the main story line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

PS3 owns. Buy fallout 3, it's much better imho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I took all the advice on board and I'm just back from the shop. I picked up Fallout 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Crucifix wrote: »
    PS3 owns

Isn't the 360 version a lot less buggy though, or did the PS3 version get a patch?....

....says he ignoring the fanboi tone of the post

Fallout 3 is definitely the wiser buy anyway, Oblivion was a good game but the world itself was incredibly dull

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The 360 version of Fallout 3 is graphically a lot better looking than the PS3 version. The texture detail is much higher and the geometry is much better at longer distances. The PS3 had extra specular maps on that the 360 didn't but that was a bug and fixed in a patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Fallout 3, easy. I have spent countless hours exploring Washington DC and it never gets boring. Don't agree with their DLC policy though, they released too much crap afterwards and looked for good money for it too.

I bought oblivion second hand for €30 a while back, played a couple of hours and got so bored of it I traded it back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,302 ✭✭✭✭noodler

As per the 360 version looks better (you won't notice unless they are side-by-side).

However the 360 version is JUST as buggy.

Tempted to pick up oblivion... no idea if I will like it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

If you do decide to buy Oblivion, it will be up on Steam in a few hours at a 20% sale price.:)

Personally, I would go with Oblivion. Especially with The Elder Scrolls V coming out next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I'm not really into the bad land themed movies, so fallout wasn't great for me, I prefer Oblivion for its fantasy and simple gameplay

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you do decide to buy Oblivion, it will be up on Steam in a few hours at a 20% sale price.:)

Personally, I would go with Oblivion. Especially with The Elder Scrolls V coming out next year!
    Shill!

Shill!!

SHILL!!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭glennb

i havent played fallout 3 yet but am not realy intrested in rpg's but i got oblivion and i am fairly sure it has a lot more hours to be played in.at the time i got it i wasnt realy playing my xbox but soon enough i had 60 odd hours gameply time and there was still side missions and other quests to be done great game in my opnion but i like the look of fallout

Source?

As a mod of the Steam Forums, oscar probably had to be tipped off early that they were about to be taxing them with moderating a new pair of threads ;)

That, and a Kotaku editor confirmed last night that Oblivion: GOTY Edition had mysteriously apparated into his Press Account on Steam.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    As a mod of the Steam Forums, oscar probably had to be tipped off early that they were about to be taxing them with moderating a new pair of threads ;)

That, and a Kotaku editor confirmed last night that Oblivion: GOTY Edition had mysteriously apparated into his Press Account on Steam.

I'm not really interested in what game goes on Steam. Elder Scrolls V is where the hype's at. The recent comment by Pete Hines on the release of the next installment ("not coming soon") - after a publishing executive of the company said it could be released in 2010 in late 2008 - reads as early 2011.

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    I'm not really interested in what game goes on Steam.
    Then why did you ask...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

Oblivion is the best game in the world. I also have Fallout and find it to be quite monotonous and dull. I implore you to buy Oblivion. However, DO NOT buy it if you have exams

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Source?

It seems like the Valve press guys jumped the gun and released the info too early.

In any case, it should be with us for the Steam Weekend deal shortly.;)

Also, cant wait for ES V myself.

Overheal wrote: »
    Then why did you ask...
    I was asking for the source to "Especially with The Elder Scrolls V coming out next year!".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Having both of them I prefer Oblivion, don't know why but the combat feels better, the 1st person viewpoint in Fallot 3 is how I played it and I'm used to, in FPS anyways, hitting targets I get square in my sights, but in Fallout 3 some invisible D20 is rolled and the stats totted up to tell you, nope, you've missed, again.
    Also, I like the changes in climate and culture you get travelling around in Oblivion, while the rather monotone wastelands of Fallout 3 are a tad boring.
    Perhaps I simply didn't give Fallout 3 enough of my time, I may go back to it someday

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

I have both games too and I would whole heartedly recommend Oblivion. I played that game endlessly and still go back to it even now. There is so much to do, there is way more to explore, just load up and walk in any direction and there is always something to find.
    I found the guilds very enjoyable although the gates were a bit repetitive to be fair.
    Any way, meandering rambling now over. you have my opinion. I just thought fallout 3 was just too short, I really enjoyed it when I played at and spent ages and ages at it I just didn't find myself compelled to go back to it as much as Oblivion.
    Enjoy your choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Fallout: New Vegas is probably coming next year as well!! :D

As for the choice between Oblivion and Fallout 3, I personally say Fallout. Granted I lost a massive chunk of my life to Oblivion when it came out,but there's really no way that slapping someone with a sword is better than shooting them twice in the legs, then in the face causing an explosion of claret loveliness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

First of all both are amazing games. Two of the best in the last 5/6 years.

Fallout 3 slightly pips it. However if you play Oblivion first you'll enjoy it as much.

Play Oblivion first and then Fallout. Both aren't missable like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Get both if you can afford it,there both great games.

Advertisement